TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #91
Mike Wells

And why didn't Jack turn into a smoke monster? (I thought for sure they were setting up Jack as a new MIB versus Hurley as new Jacob) He took the bath in the glowing water and ended up blasted outside somewhere, I'd guess.

And while I'd like to know some of those answers about the mythology, I am still satisfied. Four toes on a statue or not doesn't affect our story.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:50 PM   #92
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
They answered everything that mattered to us as characters. The rest, not so important.

Fantastic ride.
I agree. I think I understand enough about what the light was to be satisfied. It was the electromagnetic heart of the island. That's why it had to be Desmond to unplug it.

Veni, vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.
BeanMeScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #93
fliptheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by zync View Post
Now, as far as the island is concerned, that's a massive letdown. So much is left unanswered. What was the light? Why does the rock keep things in balance? How did island-watchers come to be? Why does the island move? How does it move? Why can people leave, but at the same time Jacob didn't let them? What is up with the electromagnetism? Where/when does the island exist? Who made the statue? Why does it have only 4 toes? What about the temple? What is the smoke monster?
The island is mysterious. Questions Answered.
fliptheflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:51 PM   #94
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gai-jin View Post
Huh? I thought it was pretty clear that the nuke did go off, after Juliet beat on it with a rock? Didn't we actually see the explosion from the topside point of view?
How is it possible for the nuke to have gone off if the Island was still there? Wouldn't a nuke have destroyed the island? Since they moved into the future and the island was still there, ergo, clearly, the nuke didn't go off.

Everything you saw about the plane landing, and the island on the bottom of the sea didn't really happen and was after they were dead.
Turtleboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #95
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
I had predicted weeks ago that Hugo was going to be the next guardian of the island. I knew it was just too easy when Jack took the reins. I loved that Hugo asked Ben to help. That's all Ben ever really wanted, was to take care of the island. He wasn't good enough to be #1 but I think he would make a great #2.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #96
jdfs
Unspecial Member

A lot of filler in this episode. I have to agree it seems like they made some of this up as it went along or at some point in the middle when they planned the number of episodes left. No way the original story arc had this ending. Too much emphasis was made in the first few seasons on things not nearly so important in the end, e.g.:
1) Walt
2) Darma
3) Libby
4) Pregnancy issues on the island
to name a few.

All of these were important plots at the time, but in the end, not so important.

So the finale can be summed as:
1) They killed smokey by temporarily shutting down the islands powers and killing him while he was mortal
2) Restarted the islands powers to prevent the island from sinking
3) Revealed all the flash sideways were a sort of purgatory for the Losties as they all eventually died, but it was not shown how they all bit it
4) They all finally remembered their past life by running into the right person
5) They all went to heaven together, except for Ben and a few other more minor characters.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini

Last edited by jdfs : 05-23-2010 at 11:02 PM.
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #97
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
They answered everything that mattered to us as characters. The rest, not so important.
I think folks are using a little too much revisionist history if looking back they're saying it was all about the human characters and the island mythology was secondary.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #98
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo235 View Post
Oh the nuke definitely went off.

The nuke just didn't have the intended effect.
I don't think it did.

How could it have gone off? The island was still there.

Unless all the nuke did was propel them back into the future (present).
Old 05-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #99
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Good boy Vincent!
I bawled at every damn trip down memory lane, but Sun's 'I remember" was fantastic, still didn't beat Sawyer and Juliet, that one had me pausing to catch up.

One of my favorite verizon blips in the pre-show "you took 6 years of my life, and I don't want them back" (paraphrasing)

A great ending in my book, I had my doubts they could pull it off, but they did.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #100
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtleboy View Post
Everything you saw about the plane landing, and the island on the bottom of the sea didn't really happen and was after they were dead.
Which is it? Did those things not happen or did they happen after everyone was dead?
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:53 PM   #101
Turtleboy

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
Which is it? Did those things not happen or did they happen after everyone was dead?
Both.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #102
mostman

It's also fitting that they used a stopper in the well - a reference back to the wine bottle analogy.
mostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #103
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I really liked how they did the switching from sideways to island scenes. It really kept the ride going. I loved this episode. Oh yeah, still may be some questions or such but it tied it all up and it felt good.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:54 PM   #104
fliptheflop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wouldworker View Post
Both
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #105
vertigo235

Quote:
How is it possible for the nuke to have gone off if the Island was still there? Wouldn't a nuke have destroyed the island? Since they moved into the future and the island was still there, ergo, clearly, the nuke didn't go off.

Well sure. But remember this is an island that has dead people waking around and smoke monsters and healing water and special electromagnetic properties and moves around the earth etc etc etc

Are you to expect that a nuclear bomb would have the same effects here that it does outside of the island?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
vertigo235 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #106
JLWINE

I'm still digesting the show--but one thing for sure this finale was excellently directed and acted and the soundtrack stirred the emotions.
DirecTiVo HR 10-250
Anthem AVM20
Krell Amp
Sunfire Amp
MartinLogan:
>Ascent Mains
>Script Surrounds
>Logos Center
>Descent Sub
JLWINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #107
wouldworker
_

Quote:
Both.
I suppose that makes as much sense as anything that happened on this show.
wouldworker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 PM   #108
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptheflop View Post
The island is mysterious. Questions Answered.
The island [story] is [something we can make crap loads of money on in a sequel so we shouldn't give away everything]. Questions Answered [in another 5-6 years].

There - I fixed it for you.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #109
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
One of my favorite verizon blips in the pre-show "you took 6 years of my life, and I don't want them back" (paraphrasing)
I loved the one that read "I never understood Trekkies, until I became a Lostie". I laughed out loud at that one. I am both a trekker and a lostie.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #110
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
It was really good. There was soooo much to get through but I think they tied it all up rather neatly. I had been disappointed that this season was all about Jacob and MIB. Tonight brought everything else together.

Old 05-23-2010, 10:57 PM   #111
fliptheflop

Quote:
The island [story] is [something we can make crap loads of money on in a sequel so we shouldn't give away everything]. Questions Answered [in another 5-6 years].

Sure that also but weird things happen on the island will have to do for now.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #112
LordKronos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graymalkin View Post
So what was Vincent? An archangel? And why wasn't he there at the church? Don't all dogs go to Heaven?
The church was still in purgatory. Vincent (like all dogs) gets to skip that step
LordKronos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #113
zync
Long live TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptheflop View Post
Sure that also but weird things happen on the island will have to do for now.
Well since that's all we're given and it is clear the writers don't actually know the answers to these questions, I suppose that's true.
Old 05-23-2010, 10:58 PM   #114
DrZoidberg42

here's a fun Lost song for everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIl0rYbW_hU

NSFW language
DrZoidberg42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #115
Fool Me Twice
<<<<>>>>>>>>>>

Quote:

I don't remember you from the Lost threads, so I checked. You don't seem to be a fan. You've made your point. Move along now. I'm more interested in criticism from people who actually like the show.
Fool Me Twice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #116
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
When they were in the church and Christian was there, I wondered where the horse was. The next thing we saw was Vincent. LOL!

Old 05-23-2010, 10:59 PM   #117
jdfs
Unspecial Member

Quote:
Now, as far as the island is concerned, that's a massive letdown. So much is left unanswered. What was the light? Why does the rock keep things in balance? How did island-watchers come to be? Why does the island move? How does it move? Why can people leave, but at the same time Jacob didn't let them? What is up with the electromagnetism? Where/when does the island exist? Who made the statue? Why does it have only 4 toes? What about the temple? What is the smoke monster
The whole question about the statue with 4 toes always cracked me up. I never considered that a question. Civilizations have statues all the time for religious reasons, and they are often nonsensical. Just look at the Egyptians. Just take it as a sign there was an ancient civilization that once lived there.

As for the rest, the island was magical, had special properties, there is no possible logical explanation they could ever offer.

HDR112 196 hrs - Retired
Tivo Premier with Extender
Tivo Premier #2
Roamio Pro
TiVo Mini
jdfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #118
BeanMeScot
Sci-Fi Junkie

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdfs View Post
The whole question about the statue with 4 toes always cracked me up. I never considered that a question. Civilizations have statues all the time for religious reasons, and they are often nonsensical. Just look at the Egyptians. Just take it as a sign there was an ancient civilization that once lived there.
Look at animation. How often does a character have 5 fingers? They always have 4 or less. I view this the same.

Old 05-23-2010, 11:01 PM   #119
jhowell

I think that they did a great job of wrapping the story up. The amount of exposition of the island mysteries seemed about right to me. Much more would have been lame in comparison to just leaving the mystery. I enjoyed the flash sideways resolution. I didn’t guess what was going on until the end.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 11:02 PM   #120
Kamakzie
Are you serious bro?

I'm more confused with this show than I ever was. Good emotions though with the characters remembering each other.