TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-21-2010, 11:43 AM   #1
dialanothernumb

Fios and TivoHD - is VOD coming?

I realize this topic, in various forms, has been raised already, but after searching on here and googling, I can't find a clear answer but have seen some suggestions that FIOS VOD might be accessible on my 1 year old TivoHD.

Does anyone have any more info? Is FIOS VOD just going to be available on the Premiere model?
I do use the netflix and amazon services but unfortunately neither has closed captions which I need.

Thanks for any help on this
Old 05-21-2010, 12:46 PM   #2
crazi4tv

The following is an excerpt from another one of my posts:

CableCARDs are two-way devices, in other words they can receive data or communications (downstream) from the cable plant and transmit information back (upstream) which allows them to receive advanced cable services such as video on demand (VOD), IPPV, Caller ID, and other interactive services and applications provided by the cable company. HOWEVER, the two-way communication depends on the compatibility of the Host device the CableCARD is inserted into. Host devices such as TiVo and pre 2009 HDTV’s are configured for only one-way communication with the cable provider; the CableCARD can receive information from the cable provider, but is unable to send information. Host devices such as Motorola and Cisco cable STB’s and Tru2way HDTV’s are configured for interactive two-way communications; the CableCARD is capable of receiving and sending communications to the cable provider.

So, in other words you will not get VOD from Fios on your TiVo.
Old 05-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #3
lew

The previous post is misleading. Verizon STBs use the internet to communicate with Verizon. The boxes use MoCA, that's why you don't need cat5 wire or a wireless adapter. The boxes get an IP address from the router.

Tivo boxes are capable of two way communication. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to get programs from Netflix, Amazon etc.

There is absolutely no technical reason why tivo couldn't do the same thing. Verizon uses Sea Change. Tivo already said they're working with SeaChange. Tivo would communicate with the cable company, probably via Sea Change servers.

That said tivo would need cooperation from Verizon. I haven't read anything that suggests we'll ever see FiOS VoD on our tivos.

The OP might complain to the government. Enough people complain and the "loophole" which allows companies like Netflix to circumvent closed captioning policy may get closed.

The OP might consider renting at least on STB from FiOS.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:07 PM   #4
socrplyr

I was going to resist respond until crazi4tv responded there. While your analysis of two way communications on cable networks is correct, I believe that FiOS's VOD is IPTV. Even with if it isn't it would of course be technically feasible to use the ethernet/USB to enable upstream communications. Thus, it could happen and it is not a technical limitation.

However, I have read no article and seen no indication of access to FiOS VOD being opened up for Tivo.

Does FiOS VOD provide closed captions? I don't have FiOS and I can't get it, but I am just curious. Netflix has just started providing closed captions to some of its streams and will expand over time. Currently, however, the Tivo doesn't support the captions for Netflix. I am sure Netflix will remedy that over time, but how long are you willing to wait?
socrplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by socrplyr View Post
Even with if it isn't it would of course be technically feasible to use the ethernet/USB to enable upstream communications.
Which is exactly how the FiOS STBs work.

Quote:
Does FiOS VOD provide closed captions?
I used to have a FiOS DVR. VoD included cc. I didn't use it a lot but I did use it for some network shows and some HBO VoD.

edited to add I don't want to mislead the OP. I haven't read anything that suggests FiOS VoD will ever be available on tivo DVRs.

Last edited by lew : 05-21-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:03 PM   #6
crazi4tv

Clarification: TiVo does not have two-way communication with cable companies. In order for two-way communication to work, the cablecard must be able to send and receive data with the cable company through the Host device, but the TiVo interface is not designed for this.
TiVo receives programs from Netflix and Amazon by using an internet connection - not the cablecard - to download videos.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #7
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazi4tv View Post
Clarification: TiVo does not have two-way communication with cable companies. In order for two-way communication to work, the cablecard must be able to send and receive data with the cable company through the Host device, but the TiVo interface is not designed for this.
TiVo receives programs from Netflix and Amazon by using an internet connection - not the cablecard - to download videos.
Why do you continue to post misinformation?

The OP asked about FiOS VoD. FiOS STBs requests VoD via an internet connection and the program is delivered via IPTV. There is absolutely no technical reason why tivo couldn't do the same thing.

There is a difference between saying I don't think tivo and Verizon will agree to offer VoD and saying tivo isn't capable of doing same. Obviously tivo doesn't currently have 2 way communication with FiOS but there isn't a technical reason why it can't be done. FiOS communicates via the internet. Tivo is capable of communicating via the internet.
Old 05-21-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

lew is entirely correct, and crazi4tv's comments are not relevant to Fios VOD. CableCard is not relevant, Tru2Way is not relevant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
vancod

The REAL reason you won't be seeing a lot of work from Verizon to make TiVO play nice:

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...tivevideo-suit

Verizon has made VOD work with Comcast - and it would be even EASIER to make it work with current gen TiVos.... but it shant be happening....
vancod is offline   Reply With Quote