TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-17-2010, 10:20 AM   #4771
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
Just to follow up, the TWC Supervisor and Tech showed up and basically worked from the street to the house checking and cleaning up the wiring connections. Then they replaced their old splitter with a new 9-way balancing splitter. That pretty much has cleared things up. I haven't seen a single glitch in over a week. Interesting the every other tech had said the signal levels were fine when they'd run checks (and even the diags on the TiVo's had looked in line with ranges posted here). I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I still have issues with the POS Panasonic STBs just plain missing an IR command now and then (I think even when they don't go to the "Press Any Key To Continue" screen, they still "go to sleep" a little and can't respond to the first digit sent in a channel change - too bad they won't take 4-digit channel numbers since that would fix that as loosing the leading zero wouldn't matter).
Glad to hear they got you straigtened up.

Is this the amp they used?

http://www.evolutionbb.com/ebb/asset...rySeries_2.pdf
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #4772
mercurial
Retro-Av

Yep. I couldn't remember the name of it until you posted or I would have mentioned it. The tech was surprised when the supervisor said to install one AND had several on his truck. I guess that's another perk of being a supervisor along with actually being able to get cable cards.

And come to think of it, there was ONE glitch. One night I was watching SciHD and then headed up to bed. When I turned the TV on in the bedroom, I couldn't get anything on that channel - it was black. I tried the various TA mis-tune fixes (switching tuners, tuning up and down, etc.) and no luck. It wasn't a SDV issue since I never got the channel unavailable banner. But it was during the first batch of t-storms we got and our power had just flickered (this TiVo/SA are on a UPS) so I had to wonder if something upstream might have had a hickup with a storm. Every other SDV channel I could think of in the 200's came in so I put on Discovery HD for background noise and went to sleep. Everything was fine in the morning.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:55 PM   #4773
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv65 View Post
According to a legal notice, TWC NYC will be moving a ton of channels to SDV so subscribers in that area will now need the dreaded TA.
Can any other TWC subscribers from other parts of the country who have already been through this dreaded SDV/TA process comment on whether it was a simple process or a huge pain in the @%&? um I mean neck...

Do you need any additional cables other than whatever TWC gives you when you pick up the TA? thanks.

Last edited by Cainebj : 05-17-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typo
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #4774
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
Can any other TWC subscribers from other parts of the country who have already been through this dreaded SDV/TA process comment on whether it was a simple process or a huge pain in the @%&? um I mean neck...

Do you need any additional cables other than whatever TWC gives you when you pick up the TA? thanks.
Here, all the needed cables were provided by TWC. The coax that went between the TA and the TiVo was poor quality and many of us didnt use it. However, I heard that TWC improved this cable to eliminate this problem. TA's have been relatively painless for me. Some areas of the country are having some issues though... reboots, losing authorization etc.
Old 05-17-2010, 03:08 PM   #4775
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Yep. I couldn't remember the name of it until you posted or I would have mentioned it. The tech was surprised when the supervisor said to install one AND had several on his truck. I guess that's another perk of being a supervisor along with actually being able to get cable cards.

And come to think of it, there was ONE glitch. One night I was watching SciHD and then headed up to bed. When I turned the TV on in the bedroom, I couldn't get anything on that channel - it was black. I tried the various TA mis-tune fixes (switching tuners, tuning up and down, etc.) and no luck. It wasn't a SDV issue since I never got the channel unavailable banner. But it was during the first batch of t-storms we got and our power had just flickered (this TiVo/SA are on a UPS) so I had to wonder if something upstream might have had a hickup with a storm. Every other SDV channel I could think of in the 200's came in so I put on Discovery HD for background noise and went to sleep. Everything was fine in the morning.
They gave me one of the 4 port versions to play with back when I was fighting the SDV pixelation issue. I never used it. The 9 port is sweet.. unity gain upstream and downstream.

Sounds like the channel you were trying to tune may have dropped offline...
Old 05-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #4776
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:

It may be different for you, but shortly after deploying TA's in our area TWC started copy protecting everything but locals. I'm all SD now as a result since I value MRV more than HD.
180hr S2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 03:25 PM   #4777
tubby

Didn't see this when I did my last post. Sorry - check out my issue:

Time Warner Cable apparently doesn't let you pay advertised rates if you DON'T take and pay for their standard cable box equipment (ie, if you are a Tivo user). And it took 8 grueling hours of technician and customer service and my own time to figure this out.

I am ready to pull my hair out. Help me out, fellow Tivo lovers!

I can't link to my full story on my blog because I'm a bit of a new user in the forum - but it's pooptalk dot wordpress dot com.

Please don't hold it against me, mods, this is a serious issue!
tubby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #4778
Welshdog
Tivo this, punk!

QAM channel deleted from channel lineup

Well TWC Austin has finally joined the rest of their evil brethren and they have officially killed the QAM OTA channels in the Tivo programming data. All three of my Tivo have a message today telling me that 9 channels in the 1500 range have been deleted. All were QAM versions of the local OTA channels. This is not as big a deal as it could have been, because the channels have not worked for over a year. Back then TWC did something at their headend that killed the signal on these channels. All of our season passes were built on the QAMs because I did not have a good antenna at the time and they were reliable. We came home one night to find all of our HD shows were not recorded. The PGD was still there, but only a black screen instead of picture was displayed. I contacted Tivo and they did nothing. I contacted TWC and they said it was Tivo.

I guess TWC finally got around to notifying Tivo that the channels were dead. It's too bad really, it was very convenient and the picture quality was really good.

Oh well, little guy loses again.

Last edited by Welshdog : 05-19-2010 at 09:41 PM.
Welshdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 10:08 PM   #4779
notting

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby View Post
Time Warner Cable apparently doesn't let you pay advertised rates if you DON'T take and pay for their standard cable box equipment (ie, if you are a Tivo user). And it took 8 grueling hours of technician and customer service and my own time to figure this out.
While I'm neither in NYC, nor on the exact same sort of plan you are... I have one of their advertised rates, without the need for a cable box. Of course, given that each of their various regional operations run differently, this may not be able to help you much.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 01:24 PM   #4780
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Are you able to catch one of these failed recordings 'red handed'... i.e. while the recording (of nothing) is going on? Does the recording log show 'not recorded because video signal not available'? There are a couple things that can be checked while the recording is going on. I would love to see if what you are seeing is the same thing I am seeing. Im building my 'evidence' file
.... However, TiVo could easily fix it... Just detect 10 sec of Program Lock = NO and do a simple retune... it should be that simple.
I just had a tuning failure on an SDV channel -- not a recording failure, just failure to tune manually. All tuner diags were good except no Signal or Program locks. The frequency assigned in Tuning Adapter Diagnostics, Session Info matched the frequency in DVR diagnositics. It took two manual re-tunes to bring it in. I forgot to check PID's. Are there PID's in the TA diagnostics that can be compared to those in DVR Diagnostics?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #4781
Stormspace
Electrocuted by TiVo

Quote:

It took week and half and four truck rolls to get mine working all to be ditched because TWC started copy protecting everything and TiVo was too slow fixing it's bugs for me to get any real use from them via mrv.
180hr S2

Stormspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #4782
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Are you able to catch one of these failed recordings 'red handed'... i.e. while the recording (of nothing) is going on? Does the recording log show 'not recorded because video signal not available'? There are a couple things that can be checked while the recording is going on. I would love to see if what you are seeing is the same thing I am seeing. Im building my 'evidence' file

Oh... and relative to Premiere... my friends Premiere does the same thing my S3 does. The SDV Session info (frequency) doesnt match what TiVo tuner is tuned to. That yields Program Lock = NO because the Transport Stream on that frequency doesnt contain the program we are trying to tune.

If you catch one... I would love to see pics of the DVR Diags screens and the TA Diags - SDV SESSION INFO (2 pages). I bet you will see the same thing I do. Unfortunately, I dont see a way to determine whose 'fault' it is... TA or TiVo. However, TiVo could easily fix it... Just detect 10 sec of Program Lock = NO and do a simple retune... it should be that simple.
I caught one in the act tonight but didn't have time to get pics before the recording time ended. It was recording blank video, program and signal lock were NO, no PID's, and the SDV frequencies for the affected tuner in DVR and TA diagnostics did not agree. The recording history said it failed because of no video signal.

For whatever reason, this hasn't been happening as often for the last week or two, but I will catch another one and get the pics eventually. Since Premiers have the same problem, TiVo may have more incentive to fix it.

and
Old 05-28-2010, 06:31 AM   #4783
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
I caught one in the act tonight but didn't have time to get pics before the recording time ended. It was recording blank video, program and signal lock were NO, no PID's, and the SDV frequencies for the affected tuner in DVR and TA diagnostics did not agree. The recording history said it failed because of no video signal.

For whatever reason, this hasn't been happening as often for the last week or two, but I will catch another one and get the pics eventually. Since Premiers have the same problem, TiVo may have more incentive to fix it.
Yup.... same as I get. I wish I had a USB analyzer so I could tell whether it was the TA or TiVo that messed up.

Was this an S3 or THD?
Old 05-28-2010, 07:28 AM   #4784
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
...........Was this an S3 or THD?
THD

and
Old 05-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #4785
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
...........If you catch one... I would love to see pics of the DVR Diags screens and the TA Diags - SDV SESSION INFO (2 pages). I bet you will see the same thing I do. Unfortunately, I dont see a way to determine whose 'fault' it is... TA or TiVo. However, TiVo could easily fix it... Just detect 10 sec of Program Lock = NO and do a simple retune... it should be that simple.
Got one! Attached 2 pages of DVR Diagnostics and 1 page of TA Session Info for the channel in question. The other tuner was on an OTA channel so it was easy to eliminate the diagnostic pages for that channel. Couldn't get a sharp pic of the TA page but it's legible.

Again the TA and Tuner frequencies were different.

EDIT: Again the Recording History said not recorded because no video signal.
Also, after the recording time was over the channel successfully tuned -- it appears that each start/stop of a scheduled recording involves a retune, even if a tuner is already sitting on the desired channel. At that time both the tuner and TA frequency were 579 MHz, i.e., what the TA was reading during the failed recording. This suggests the TA gave the correct frequency but the tuner wasn't using it. (Well actually it could just indicate a USB communication problem as you mentioned.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DVRDiag_p1_28May2010.jpg (53.0 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg DVRDiag_p2_28May2010.jpg (63.8 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg TA_Session28May2010.jpg (53.4 KB, 63 views)

and

Last edited by dlfl : 05-28-2010 at 07:11 PM.
Old 05-28-2010, 09:14 PM   #4786
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Got one! Attached 2 pages of DVR Diagnostics and 1 page of TA Session Info for the channel in question. The other tuner was on an OTA channel so it was easy to eliminate the diagnostic pages for that channel. Couldn't get a sharp pic of the TA page but it's legible.

Again the TA and Tuner frequencies were different.

EDIT: Again the Recording History said not recorded because no video signal.
Also, after the recording time was over the channel successfully tuned -- it appears that each start/stop of a scheduled recording involves a retune, even if a tuner is already sitting on the desired channel. At that time both the tuner and TA frequency were 579 MHz, i.e., what the TA was reading during the failed recording. This suggests the TA gave the correct frequency but the tuner wasn't using it. (Well actually it could just indicate a USB communication problem as you mentioned.)
Ding Ding Ding... we have a winner....
Old 05-29-2010, 07:22 AM   #4787
m_jonis

I had one happen too. I went into the DVR diagnostics on the Tivo and both channels looked the same EXCEPT the PID values were blank on the one that hadn't tuned. Other than that, they both looked identical (but I did not take a picture, so it's possible the frequencies were different).
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:12 PM   #4788
DrWho453

Moving cable cards from TWC Raleigh to TWC Henderson

Does anyone know of any reason why Time Warner Cable in Raleigh NC would not allow me to transfer my cable cards from the Raleigh Office to the Henderson NC office other than bad customer support?

I lost my job back in July and I am moving back into my parent's house in Warrenton while I look for a job. I moved my Tivo series 3 to Warrenton and wasn't sure if the cards would still work or not. I have not had any problems using the cable cards in Warrenton. Now that I am getting ready to cancel the cable in Raleigh, both Raleigh and Henderson are telling me I can not transfer the cards over and have to get a technician to come out and install new cards. I really don't want to go back through the process again but I don't see a choice. I just don't know if this is just greed on TWC part or if there is some technical reason that they can't be moved even though the work perfectly right now.

Thanks
DrWho453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:46 PM   #4789
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrWho453 View Post
Does anyone know of any reason why Time Warner Cable in Raleigh NC would not allow me to transfer my cable cards from the Raleigh Office to the Henderson NC office other than bad customer support?

I lost my job back in July and I am moving back into my parent's house in Warrenton while I look for a job. I moved my Tivo series 3 to Warrenton and wasn't sure if the cards would still work or not. I have not had any problems using the cable cards in Warrenton. Now that I am getting ready to cancel the cable in Raleigh, both Raleigh and Henderson are telling me I can not transfer the cards over and have to get a technician to come out and install new cards. I really don't want to go back through the process again but I don't see a choice. I just don't know if this is just greed on TWC part or if there is some technical reason that they can't be moved even though the work perfectly right now.

Thanks
well it is likely that the areas are in two different rate centers or are supplied by two different headends. That would be my guess
Old 06-07-2010, 10:18 AM   #4790
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Was there some change in the Austin TWC system? I left it unattended over a week and my last successful recording on a cablecard channel was May 28. Since then not a single cablecard channel recorded. All the antenna recordings worked, so I know the Tivo is on and operating.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:19 PM   #4791
mmcgown

A possibility: we had a rather major thunderstorm pass through on June 2 and lots of folks lost power for a bit. It took me several tries to get my TiVo and SDV channels back to normal.
mmcgown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:27 PM   #4792
jmfirestone

I have an issue currently - TWC is making their second call to my house tonight.

Series 3 HD - all of a sudden started rebooting itself about 5 days ago. After much searching and toubleshooting, including TiVo support call - it turns out the only time my TiVo has an issue is when it is trying to tune in one of my HD channels, i.e. 540 - NBCHD.

If the cable line is not connected OR if my TiVo is only tuning in lower channels (50, 100, etc) it is perfectly fine and functions normally.

As soon as I switch to 540 (or 520 CBShd etc.) the audio/video starts skipping , pixelating and the TiVo locks up. I can't change channels, get into or move through menus, etc. If I disconnect the cable line while this lock up is happening, the TiVo returns to working normally within 30 seconds.

I used the signal meter check on the TVo and the signals in those high channels are peaking at 100. Tivo support confirms that this appears to be a signal related issue. I call TWC and they send a guy out.

Not surprisingly - the guy knows nothing about TiVos and also didn't follow the instructions on the WO, where I told them I also needed them to bring a new tuning adapter to replace the one I have that isn't working properly. The guy tells me the signals are perfectly fine for their equipment and doesn't even understand the signal meter that TiVo has since their signal stuff is all i the +8 to -12 range.

After a 1 hr call, with him spending most of the time on the phone with someone, he schedules a new call for tonight, where he will bring a new tuning adapter and also someone else with TiVo experience.

Anyone have any ideas if this IS a signal issue? It seems like it, since the only time the TiVo acts up is when it is trying to tune those HD channels. Is there anything I can make them check or say to them to get them to understand that it is THIER issue and not my TiVo?
jmfirestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:39 PM   #4793
rafeco

Yesterday Time Warner North Carolina (Raleigh, specifically) changed the positions of nearly all of their channels for digital cable customers. I use a Tivo Series 3 with two CableCards and a Tuning Adapter, and the whole thing seems to have gone south since the changeover.

Anyone gotten things working with the new lineup? I don't believe Tivo has updated the channel listings on their end, and I'm not sure if there's more I'll need to do on my end. My wife is not going to be happy if this change prevents her from seeing the Glee finale.
rafeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:48 PM   #4794
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafeco View Post
Yesterday Time Warner North Carolina (Raleigh, specifically) changed the positions of nearly all of their channels for digital cable customers. I use a Tivo Series 3 with two CableCards and a Tuning Adapter, and the whole thing seems to have gone south since the changeover.

Anyone gotten things working with the new lineup? I don't believe Tivo has updated the channel listings on their end, and I'm not sure if there's more I'll need to do on my end. My wife is not going to be happy if this change prevents her from seeing the Glee finale.
rerunning the guided setup as though it was new did not get your channels in line with the guide information?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:49 PM   #4795
mercurial
Retro-Av

As of early this morning (in Cary but we're supposed to change at the same time, as I understand it), the old channels were all working and the new line-up was not showing up if I tried to to guided setup.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:41 PM   #4796
rafeco

Running Guided Setup now. It's been "Preparing" for an hour or so.
rafeco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:44 PM   #4797
SCSIRAID

Quote:
As of early this morning (in Cary but we're supposed to change at the same time, as I understand it), the old channels were all working and the new line-up was not showing up if I tried to to guided setup.
I ran guided setup on one of my units last night and pulled the new lineup. It was working fine after the lineup changed midday sometime.

Starting on my second TiVo now....
Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #4798
notting

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafeco View Post
They're staggering the deployment across NC? (Chapel Hill's not supposed to change until next Wednesday.) Well, I'm sure that will go off without a hitch.
notting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:41 PM   #4799
RTPGiants

Good luck to those who are swapping today. Durham isn't until next week. I want to know what to prepare for.
RTPGiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 PM   #4800
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTPGiants View Post
Good luck to those who are swapping today. Durham isn't until next week. I want to know what to prepare for.
My THD with TA just completed cleanly.... S3 still in progress.