Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #4741
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
The phone techs at TWC seem to be getting better at fixing the TA.
8 blinks means you need to call them. They will send some authorization hits, and then the light should go to unblinking, but sometimes this takes up to 5 minutes or so. Once solid, the TA should be working again.
Both of mine go out about once a month, at the same time, because TW sends out signals that do that. They seem to know that, they don't care, and they just hit the box again to authorize it, but you have to call ever time this happens, but the call takes less time each month.
Sigh.
which TWC system are you in? I'm in SW Ohio and haven't noticed any improvement in their ability to handle the 8-blink calls. Happens every month and more than half the time I have to get connected to the NCCS (TWC's National Cable Card Support) desk to find someone who knows what to do.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:56 PM   #4742
Saturn
Lord of the Rings

I've heard from a Tier 3 support guy that they are taking the every-month-8-blinks issue pretty seriously and have had Cisco guys in the Milwaukee office trying to figure out what's going on.

I've had to call in every month on the 18th or 19th of the month since December. Normally it only takes 15 minutes or so but last night I sat on the phone for over an hour and couldn't get the tuning adapter to sync. I called in again this morning and they were able to help.

Such a PITA.
Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:07 PM   #4743
squiddohio

DLFL:
I'm in Cincinnati - City.
Lately I have been getting my calls answered by someone who seems to know what a TA is and how to "hit" it. In fact, they seem to be expecting my call.
However, there is surely some luck involved, and there is no way to control who answers the phone. If you get someone clueless, you might try to bail on the call and place it again later.
PS: I have never had to call the NCCS, although that sounds like fun.
PPS: My real concern now is spotty station reception of SDV stations even when the light is solid. The whole thing would be a fiasco if Time Warner were not such a complete fiasco to start with. The TA mess is just a sub-fiasco.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #4744
s44

Anyone successfully watched a PPV event via phone ordering? This *should* work, but who knows? I'm preparing for the May 1 fight and I'm wondering if I need to get a box for a few days.
s44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 06:07 PM   #4745
rv65

According to a legal notice, TWC NYC will be moving a ton of channels to SDV so subscribers in that area will now need the dreaded TA.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:38 PM   #4746
rv65

Quote:
On or about June 2, 2010 the following channels will become services that cannot be accessed on CableCARD-equipped Unidirectional Digital Cable Products purchased at retail without additional two-way capable equipment: @ Max HD, @ Max, AAJ, ABC Family HD, Action Max HD, Action Max, AMC HD, American Life, Antena 3, Antenna, BBC America HD, BET HD, Big Ten 2, Big Ten 3, Big Ten 4, Big Ten 5, Biography, Boomerang, Boomerang (SAP), Bravo HD, C1R Worldwide, Canal 24, Canal Sur, Caracol, Cartoon Network HD, CBS College Sports HD, CBS College Sports , CCTV-9, Centric, Chinese Cinema, Chinese Prime, Cine Latino, Cine Mexicano, Cinemax HD, Club Jenna, CNBC HD, CNBC Worldwide, CNN International, Comedy Central HD, Crime & Investigation HD, Deutsche Welle TV, Discovery Familia, Discovery Kids, Disney HD, Disney XD HD, Disney XD, E! HD, Ecuavisa, Encore Action, Encore Drama, Encore HD, Encore Love, Encore Mystery, Encore Westerns, ESPN Gameplan channels1-6, ESPNews HD, ESPNU HD, ET NY Chinese, ETTV News, EWTN, EWTN Español, Filmy, Fit TV, FiveStar Max HD, Flix, Fox Business Network HD, Fox College Sports Atlantic, Fox College Sports Central, Fox College Sports Pacific, Fox Soccer Channel, Fuel, Fuse HD, FX HD, G4 HD, GAC, Game 2 HD, Game HD, Gol TV, gmc, HBO 2 HD, HBO 2, HBO Comedy HD, HBO Comedy, HBO Family HD, HBO Family, HBO Latino HD, HBO Latino, HBO Signature HD, HBO Signature, HBO Zone HD, HBO Zone, HD PPV, HD Theater, Headline News HD, Here!, History en Español, HITV, HSN HD, HSN, HTV, IFC HD, ImaginAsian, IN Demand 2, IN Demand 3, Infinito, Investigation Discovery HD, ITV Gold, Jewelry TV, Jus Punjabi, LaFamilia, LaTele Novela, Lifetime Real Women, Mav TV HD, Media Korea, MGM HD, MLB HD, More Max HD, More Max, MSNBC HD, MTV HD, National Geographic Channel HD, NBA League Pass channels1-10, NBA TV, NGTV, NHL/MLB channels1-14, NHL Network HD, Nick Jr., Nicktoons, NTV America, NY1 Noticias, Outdoor Channel HD, Outdoor Channel, Outer Max HD, Palladia HD, PFC Internacional, Phoenix TV, Planet Green HD, Planet Green, Playboy, Playboy en Español, QVC HD, QVC, RAI Italia, Real, Reelz Channel, RT, RTN, RTPi, RTVi, The Science Channel HD, The Science Channel, SET Asia, ShopNBC, Showtime Too HD, Showtime Extreme HD, Showtime Showcase HD, Showtime Beyond, Showtime Extreme, Showtime Showcase, Showtime Too, SiTV, Smithsonian HD, Sorpresa, Speed HD, Spice Xcess, Spike TV HD, Sports Extra 1, Sports Extra 2, Starz Comedy HD, Starz Edge HD, Starz HD, Starz Kids & Family HD, Style HD, SyFy HD, TCM HD, Team HD, TeenNick, Telemicro, Ten, Tennis Channel HD, Tennis Channel, The Africa Channel, The Arabic Channel, The Bangladesh Channel, The Filipino Channel, The Golf Channel HD, The Korean Channel, The Movie Channel Xtra, The Word Network, Thriller Max HD, Thriller Max, TLC HD, TMC HD, TMC Xtra HD, TV 1000 Russian Kino, TV 5, TV Asia, TV Colombia, TV Globo, TV Japan, TV One HD, TV Polonia, TVB1, TVE Internacional, TVE Cultural. Es, Universal HD, USA HD, Utilisima Satelital, Versus HD, Versus, WE HD, WMAX HD, WMAX and Zee TV.
The list of channels that are going SDV according to TWC NY/NJ. I'm sure they'll be handing out TA's pretty soon.
rv65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 PM   #4747
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv65 View Post
The list of channels that are going SDV according to TWC NY/NJ. I'm sure they'll be handing out TA's pretty soon.
They should. If they move channels you already receive to SDV and don't provide a TA to receive them, this is a "reduction in service". The FCC has fined other operators for doing this without giving 30 day advance notice of the service reduction. (Maybe what you quoted constitutes such notice.)

Unfortunately I think the legal requirement for them notifying you is satisfied by them just notifying your franchising authority, i.e., not requiring a direct notice to each customer. One would hope they would do better than that....

and
Old 04-27-2010, 04:58 PM   #4748
Liza

Angry Sorry if this seems overly simple, but I'm confused! Do I *need* cable cards?

I've been trying to sort through my mother's cable issues (from CO while she's in KCK). We got her an HD TV for Christmas, but she couldn't get HD channels because she had an old Series 2 Tivo. So, for her birthday at the end of February, we got her a Series 3 Tivo. Got it all hooked up, without CCs or a TA, and it worked for weeks.

Then she started getting the "searching for signal" all the time on all channels. I noticed a couple of posts saying trouble in KC started around 3/17-3/19 or so. Did TW change something at this time? TW insisted she needed the CCs and would add the monthly charge to her bill. If she truly *needs* the CCs, how is it possible that she got signal for weeks without? I thought I had found info saying a TA alone could fix it, since it was an issue with SDV. Told my brother & sister in KC so they could help her. TW still said no, and wouldn't do anything but install CCs and told them to go to a storefront to get a TA themselves. Then said they wouldn't confirm she could have a TA, even said there weren't channels on her service that would need them. I finally got someone to say she could have one, but still said she needed CCs.

So, if she does not use any kind of VOD or premium channels (no HBO, etc.), just a basic level cable package with internet, does she *need* the CCs to get signal? If she gets the TA, is it really guaranteed that she'll have monthly problems, as I've seen people mention here? (Due to some signal sent out by TW?)

On a side note, is there any website that makes it easy to flood TW corporate with e-mails or petitions to show them just how I feel about their "customer service"?
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 06:56 PM   #4749
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liza View Post
I've been trying to sort through my mother's cable issues (from CO while she's in KCK). We got her an HD TV for Christmas, but she couldn't get HD channels because she had an old Series 2 Tivo. So, for her birthday at the end of February, we got her a Series 3 Tivo. Got it all hooked up, without CCs or a TA, and it worked for weeks.

Then she started getting the "searching for signal" all the time on all channels. I noticed a couple of posts saying trouble in KC started around 3/17-3/19 or so. Did TW change something at this time? TW insisted she needed the CCs and would add the monthly charge to her bill. If she truly *needs* the CCs, how is it possible that she got signal for weeks without? I thought I had found info saying a TA alone could fix it, since it was an issue with SDV. Told my brother & sister in KC so they could help her. TW still said no, and wouldn't do anything but install CCs and told them to go to a storefront to get a TA themselves. Then said they wouldn't confirm she could have a TA, even said there weren't channels on her service that would need them. I finally got someone to say she could have one, but still said she needed CCs.

So, if she does not use any kind of VOD or premium channels (no HBO, etc.), just a basic level cable package with internet, does she *need* the CCs to get signal? If she gets the TA, is it really guaranteed that she'll have monthly problems, as I've seen people mention here? (Due to some signal sent out by TW?)

On a side note, is there any website that makes it easy to flood TW corporate with e-mails or petitions to show them just how I feel about their "customer service"?
Normally you will not be able to get a tuning adapter without CCs.
Old 04-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #4750
JimWall

Do I need cable cards?

You didn't say if the channels being searched for were digital or analog.
And whether her service was digital.
If analog then they started blocking the old analog channels
In my area all digital customers also get the old analog channels.
If there is no cable card the digital non-switched and non-encrypted would show up with the digital frequency instead of the cable channel number and there would be no tivo guide information.
JimWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:42 PM   #4751
Liza

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimWall View Post
You didn't say if the channels being searched for were digital or analog.
And whether her service was digital.
If analog then they started blocking the old analog channels
In my area all digital customers also get the old analog channels.
If there is no cable card the digital non-switched and non-encrypted would show up with the digital frequency instead of the cable channel number and there would be no tivo guide information.
I should say that I'm going on second-hand information, from people that are not comfortable with technology, so I can't be certain of the accuracy.

Her service is digital. As far as I know, all channels were gone. If they did a system reset, they could get some channels temporarily, but they would be gone again within a day or less.

There were definitely no cable cards. I find this part confusing. I haven't had Tivo myself for a few years (), but IIRC, a part of the setup asks you to identify channels by the appropriate cable number. I think they did this with the as part of the reset, and thought the channel numbers were the correct cable numbers.

They told me Tivo could still record, but I'm wondering if what they were actually doing was playing back previous recordings.

They haven't gotten the TA yet, so no new info here.
Liza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #4752
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Liza,

For digital cable the TiVo definitely needs CableCARD(s), preferably one m-card, or two s-cards. If TWC KSK has implemented Switched Digital Video (SDV) they will also need a Tuning Adapter to get the SDV channels, which may include a large portion of the HD channels.

It's hard to find out whether a cable service uses SDV because only TiVo customers ever care about that so their support people don't get that question very often, if ever. Sometimes their website will tell this. I went to what I think is the correct website and could not find anything definite about SDV, which doesn't prove anything. However **this web page** has an email link. You might try sending an email asking if they are using Switched Digital Video (SDV) channels. Actually if they will give you a TA, either by bringing it with the CableCARD(s) or letting you pick it up, that pretty much confirms they are using SDV. The TA is free and easy to install (but not for everyone).

Some systems broadcast both analog and digital cable simultaneously. If you don't have CableCARD, you can tune the analog channels. That may be what they were receiving and maybe TWC recently stopped simulcasting the analogs. They also broadcast "Clear QAM" versions of local broadcast stations. These are digital signals that you can get without a CableCARD because they are clear -- i.e., not encrypted. These will tune with channel numbers like 7-1 (or 7.1), and most will be HD. However TiVo guide data has never included Clear QAM channels so you can't get guide data for them or set up season passes.

Setting up a TiVo with CableCARD and TA can be challenging for a tech-oriented person working on site. So good luck!

and
Old 04-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #4753
squiddohio

It is very hard to determine which channels are SDV. I have never found a posted list, nor has anyone on the phone at TW either known or even known where this information is located. The same goes for the techs who come to the house. Nobody knows and nobody seems to care.
Twice I have received a letter (sent to cable card users) from TW indicating that a TA is available for the SDV stations, and this letter will list them, and the effective date. However, by the time the effective date rolls around, it is out of date, reflecting what one phone tech told me: they change those all the time, and add new ones, etc, so frequently that we can't keep up with them.
Surely somewhere inside TW there is a list, but it is not widely circulated. It's virtually secret. And even if you had it, accuracy would not be guaranteed for more than a week or two.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:04 PM   #4754
pdm

Is it just me or are some time warner HD channels so low bit rate it looks like watching a poor quality youtube video? I'm watching Superman right now on AMC HD, and the video quality is terrible, especially if there is much motion or detail. We notice this on TLC HD also, very splotchy and digital compression artifacts.
pdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 09:57 AM   #4755
SCSIRAID

Quote:
It is very hard to determine which channels are SDV. I have never found a posted list, nor has anyone on the phone at TW either known or even known where this information is located. The same goes for the techs who come to the house. Nobody knows and nobody seems to care.
Twice I have received a letter (sent to cable card users) from TW indicating that a TA is available for the SDV stations, and this letter will list them, and the effective date. However, by the time the effective date rolls around, it is out of date, reflecting what one phone tech told me: they change those all the time, and add new ones, etc, so frequently that we can't keep up with them.
Surely somewhere inside TW there is a list, but it is not widely circulated. It's virtually secret. And even if you had it, accuracy would not be guaranteed for more than a week or two.
Actually, there is a pretty east way to determine what is SDV. Just unplug the TA USB and then surf thru all the channels... the ones that you cannot get are SDV.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM   #4756
squiddohio

That does not work because I don't subscribe to all the "packages," so I have to determine if the channels I do not get are part of my subscription or not. What would be nice would be if TW posted a list on its web page, and kept it up to date.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #4757
Grumock

Quote:
That does not work because I don't subscribe to all the "packages," so I have to determine if the channels I do not get are part of my subscription or not. What would be nice would be if TW posted a list on its web page, and kept it up to date.
right but if you go to a channel & want to know if it is SDV the easy way to tell is pull the USB & it will go out.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #4758
BruceShultes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
right but if you go to a channel & want to know if it is SDV the easy way to tell is pull the USB & it will go out.
Just remember that is only good information until TW changes the SDV channels in your area again.
BruceShultes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:52 AM   #4759
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceShultes View Post
Just remember that is only good information until TW changes the SDV channels in your area again.
You are 100% correct, & if I'm not totally mistaken, they add more on a weekly basis.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM   #4760
mercurial
Retro-Av

So I'm still having the issue where my TWC STBs (for the S2DT TiVos) won't get certain SDV channels with any success (primarily Boomerang and BBC America). They get recordings of the the "Channel Not Available" message. If I try manually, I can hit "A" over and over but it never comes in. I can go to a S3 or THD box and it will tune but the STB still won't bring it in. (This of course tends to screw up TWO recordings since the STB times out to the "Press Any Key To Continue" screen so the next tune looses the first digit. I've tried to work around this by creating a couple of dummy manual recordings each day just to make sure the STB gets moved off of those channels.)

I called TWC and they resent hits a couple of times and the STBs started working and then stopped again less than 24hrs later.

Then on Sunday I had put on the Scooby-Doo movie marathon on Toon HD but about 20 minutes into the show, the video froze and after about 30s, I did the channel +/- thing to see what was going on and got the channel unavailable message - a quick spot check showed about the same thing on every SDV channel I tried.

Called TWC and the lady really didn't try to do anything (I think she saw I am averaging call about once a month or less at this rate with issues and freaked out). We scheduled a truck roll for Tuesday and the guy is supposed to come out with new STBs to swap them out and to "make sure the cable cards are properly paired" to fix the issue. We'll see.

After I got off the call, a power cycle of the TA brought back the channels (this time). And it's been good since.

So anyone have any idea of something I should have them look at? Or is there a more competent person in TWC I can reach out to? I'm at my wits end - TV shouldn't be this much work.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:09 PM   #4761
SteadyEddieNYC

Hi _ I have a duel cable card in my series 3 dvr- how is this change going to affect me? tia-
SteadyEddieNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #4762
pL86

SDV questions from NYC resident

NYC users got letters yesterday saying we can pick up tuning adapters starting on June 7 with SDV set to go on June 15. For those in other areas who have already gone through this, did you have to wait until the day of the switchover to install the adapter or were you able to install it prior to D Day without disrupting service? And is there any lag in tuning to a new channel with SDV? I hate to have recordings miss even a few seconds at the beginning so I'm just wondering if I need to add a minute to start times from now on.

Any answers as well as other hints and tips on what to expect is appreciated. Verizon FIOS is supposed to wire my building this summer and although they don't carry some HD channels I do watch, I suspect this SDV will be aggravating enough that I will switch as soon as I can. Until then, persevere.
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:38 PM   #4763
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pL86 View Post
........is there any lag in tuning to a new channel with SDV? I hate to have recordings miss even a few seconds at the beginning so I'm just wondering if I need to add a minute to start times from now on.

Any answers as well as other hints and tips on what to expect is appreciated. Verizon FIOS is supposed to wire my building this summer and although they don't carry some HD channels I do watch, I suspect this SDV will be aggravating enough that I will switch as soon as I can. Until then, persevere.
There is an old and well known (including to TiVo) problem that TA's sometimes fail to tune a channel on the first try. TiVo even published a work-around for this on **one of their support pages** (tune away and then back, once or twice). Obviously this doesn't work for scheduled recordings since it requires operator intervention. I lose several recordings a week (TWC SW Ohio).

When I went searching for the TiVo link given above, I found the tuning failure work-around had been removed and it now states:
Quote:
As of today, there are no known issues with Tuning Adapters and Premiere/XL, TiVo HD/XL, and Series3 HD DVRs

That's not true! -- I know this from my own experience and other posters on this forum.

Note this is not the expected occasional SDV "channel temporarily not available" situation. For these tuning failures that message doesn't appear, and unless you do something it will just sit there forever with blank video and no audio. DVR Diagnostics for the channel sometimes will indicate no program lock or no signal lock, and the Recording History in the To Do List will state the program wasn't recorded because the video signal was not available.

Perhaps just an interesting coincidence but the referenced TiVo support page was changed after I recently sent a PM to a certain TiVo employee who reads this forum in which I referenced the page and asked if there was a possibility of a software fix to implement tuning retries automatically.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 05-15-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:07 PM   #4764
m_jonis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
There is an old and well known (including to TiVo) problem that TA's sometimes fail to tune a channel on the first try. TiVo even published a work-around for this on **one of their support pages** (tune away and then back, once or twice). Obviously this doesn't work for scheduled recordings since it requires operator intervention. I lose several recordings a week (TWC SW Ohio).

When I went searching for the TiVo link given above, I found the tuning failure work-around had been removed and it now states:

That's not true! -- I know this from my own experience and other posters on this forum.

Note this is not the expected occasional SDV "channel temporarily not available" situation. For these tuning failures that message doesn't appear, and unless you do something it will just sit there forever with blank video and no audio. DVR Diagnostics for the channel sometimes will indicate no program lock or no signal lock, and the Recording History in the To Do List will state the program wasn't recorded because the video signal was not available.

Perhaps just an interesting coincidence but the referenced TiVo support page was changed after I recently sent a PM to a certain TiVo employee who reads this forum in which I referenced the page and asked if there was a possibility of a software fix to implement tuning retries automatically.
Yes, I agree. Even with 11.0g and the Cisco TA, my TivoHD still gets the SDV "blank" channel until I use that manual workaround.
m_jonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:17 PM   #4765
pL86

Thanks for your responses. What percentage of your total recording would you say is "several times a week"? And can you shed sone light on my other questions about installing the adapter prior to SDV being launched and whether there is lag when the adapter does tune into a channel without any problems. I may be away on launch day so I'd like to know if I can preinstall the adapter do I don't miss recording.

Not looking forward to this at all.
pL86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:40 PM   #4766
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Thanks for your responses. What percentage of your total recording would you say is "several times a week"? And can you shed sone light on my other questions about installing the adapter prior to SDV being launched and whether there is lag when the adapter does tune into a channel without any problems. I may be away on launch day so I'd like to know if I can preinstall the adapter do I don't miss recording.

Not looking forward to this at all.
My system had SDV long before I got my HD, CableCARDs and TA so I don't know about installing the TA prior to SDV. My impression is tuning with the TA does have a second or two additional lag time, and it seems to vary from time to time. I think a long range plan to switch to FIOS is a good idea -- wish I had that choice.

and
Old 05-16-2010, 09:41 AM   #4767
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Thanks for your responses. What percentage of your total recording would you say is "several times a week"? ............
Just realized I didn't respond to this. I would say about 10%, however it seems to occur mainly on two specific channels. What I can imagine happening is:

There is some delay between the TiVo requesting a channel frequency from the Cable Co's SDV system and getting the response. In some cases that delay is too long for the TiVo to handle so it mis-tunes the channel. Thus the TiVo software needs to be modified to handle longer delays, or to retry the tuning.

This may be way out in left field. Wouldn't it be nice if someone from TiVo would comment on the correct description of the problem?

I wonder if the Premiere TiVo's have this problem?

and
Old 05-16-2010, 10:00 AM   #4768
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Just realized I didn't respond to this. I would say about 10%, however it seems to occur mainly on two specific channels. What I can imagine happening is:

There is some delay between the TiVo requesting a channel frequency from the Cable Co's SDV system and getting the response. In some cases that delay is too long for the TiVo to handle so it mis-tunes the channel. Thus the TiVo software needs to be modified to handle longer delays, or to retry the tuning.

This may be way out in left field. Wouldn't it be nice if someone from TiVo would comment on the correct description of the problem?

I wonder if the Premiere TiVo's have this problem?
Are you able to catch one of these failed recordings 'red handed'... i.e. while the recording (of nothing) is going on? Does the recording log show 'not recorded because video signal not available'? There are a couple things that can be checked while the recording is going on. I would love to see if what you are seeing is the same thing I am seeing. Im building my 'evidence' file

Oh... and relative to Premiere... my friends Premiere does the same thing my S3 does. The SDV Session info (frequency) doesnt match what TiVo tuner is tuned to. That yields Program Lock = NO because the Transport Stream on that frequency doesnt contain the program we are trying to tune.

If you catch one... I would love to see pics of the DVR Diags screens and the TA Diags - SDV SESSION INFO (2 pages). I bet you will see the same thing I do. Unfortunately, I dont see a way to determine whose 'fault' it is... TA or TiVo. However, TiVo could easily fix it... Just detect 10 sec of Program Lock = NO and do a simple retune... it should be that simple.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 05-16-2010 at 10:14 AM.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #4769
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
Are you able to catch one of these failed recordings 'red handed'... i.e. while the recording (of nothing) is going on? Does the recording log show 'not recorded because video signal not available'? There are a couple things that can be checked while the recording is going on. I would love to see if what you are seeing is the same thing I am seeing. Im building my 'evidence' file
I caught one just recently. The recording log stated what you said. The program lock and tuning lock were "No". However, I've had other cases where it recorded the full scheduled program length with blank video and audio. In those cases I didn't catch it in the act, so don't know what DVR Diagnostics said.

Let me know what specific DVR Diagnostic info you want for the next time I catch one.

EDIT: I will try to get screen photos as you request.

and
Old 05-17-2010, 10:46 AM   #4770
mercurial
Retro-Av

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
So I'm still having the issue where my TWC STBs (for the S2DT TiVos) won't get certain SDV channels with any success (primarily Boomerang and BBC America). They get recordings of the the "Channel Not Available" message. If I try manually, I can hit "A" over and over but it never comes in. I can go to a S3 or THD box and it will tune but the STB still won't bring it in. (This of course tends to screw up TWO recordings since the STB times out to the "Press Any Key To Continue" screen so the next tune looses the first digit. I've tried to work around this by creating a couple of dummy manual recordings each day just to make sure the STB gets moved off of those channels.)

I called TWC and they resent hits a couple of times and the STBs started working and then stopped again less than 24hrs later.

Then on Sunday I had put on the Scooby-Doo movie marathon on Toon HD but about 20 minutes into the show, the video froze and after about 30s, I did the channel +/- thing to see what was going on and got the channel unavailable message - a quick spot check showed about the same thing on every SDV channel I tried.

Called TWC and the lady really didn't try to do anything (I think she saw I am averaging call about once a month or less at this rate with issues and freaked out). We scheduled a truck roll for Tuesday and the guy is supposed to come out with new STBs to swap them out and to "make sure the cable cards are properly paired" to fix the issue. We'll see.

After I got off the call, a power cycle of the TA brought back the channels (this time). And it's been good since.

So anyone have any idea of something I should have them look at? Or is there a more competent person in TWC I can reach out to? I'm at my wits end - TV shouldn't be this much work.

Just to follow up, the TWC Supervisor and Tech showed up and basically worked from the street to the house checking and cleaning up the wiring connections. Then they replaced their old splitter with a new 9-way balancing splitter. That pretty much has cleared things up. I haven't seen a single glitch in over a week. Interesting the every other tech had said the signal levels were fine when they'd run checks (and even the diags on the TiVo's had looked in line with ranges posted here). I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I still have issues with the POS Panasonic STBs just plain missing an IR command now and then (I think even when they don't go to the "Press Any Key To Continue" screen, they still "go to sleep" a little and can't respond to the first digit sent in a channel change - too bad they won't take 4-digit channel numbers since that would fix that as loosing the leading zero wouldn't matter).