Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #91
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiddohio View Post
On just about any call, the first suggestion is almost always to reboot whatever it is that you are calling about.
And my answer is just as invariably "I just did that."
Me too, because usually I just did it. In your case is it true or just a way to avoid doing something useless?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #92
squiddohio

I always really do it before the call for the same reason it's the first thing suggested: it often solves the problem.
Not this one we are discussing, but many.
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #93
dlramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlramsey View Post
Hmmm... I haven't seen my sub expires time increase in the last two days either so maybe you haven't missed anything, it might not actually be a daily process.

I'll continue to watch mine daily and post something when (if?) I see my sub expires date increment.
So, after watching daily for a week, my sub expires date incremented this morning from 0604.133600 to 0613.192800. Looks like a weekly, not a daily process. Anybody else see a change overnight?
dlramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:47 AM   #94
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlramsey View Post
So, after watching daily for a week, my sub expires date incremented this morning from 0604.133600 to 0613.192800. Looks like a weekly, not a daily process. Anybody else see a change overnight?
Yes! But strangely not as far out. Mine only went to 0611.161600. It had been 0604.050400, very close to your previous date.

My TA last boot time did NOT update (still 5/6/10) so that answers the question I had as to whether these Sub Expires update signals actually cause a soft reboot (they don't). Thus I wonder if there shouldn't be a signal the support people can send that acts the same way (not requiring a soft-reboot of the TA). Perhaps after the sub expires (8-blinks) a reboot is needed.

and

Last edited by dlfl : 05-15-2010 at 09:53 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #95
dlramsey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Yes! But strangely not as far out. Mine only went to 0611.161600. It had been 0604.050400, very close to your previous date.
Weird that the dates were different. Maybe a difference between the systems in Cincinnati and 'near Dayton, Ohio', although, I can't think of a good reason for them to be different.

I'm going to keep watching for another week or two to see if I can document what changes when this thing hangs and fails to update.
dlramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 08:40 AM   #96
realityboy

Last week, I had one that was set to expire 5/20 & one set to expire 6/11. The 6/11 seemed to be updating periodically (not daily) so I switched my TAs and now they both say 6/11. Oddly enough, the room where I know that the TAs are receiving an update signal has a really low signal strength compared to the other room.

Also i was told by the last person that I called that he sent an "initialization hit," and that is what worked for me. If my hits go smoothly, I do not have to restart anything either. The TA will blink for a bit and then turn itself off. I just have to turn it back on. I'm pretty sure I'm not getting a balancing hit if that is for everything since only 1 TA seems to receive the hit, and I have to tell them the number off of it so they know which one to send hits to.
realityboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:07 PM   #97
kennedy

I had that exact same expiration time (0604.1336). Ill check tonight to see if mine has incremented.
kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:24 PM   #98
gamo62

If Cincinnati Bell's FiOpitic is an option where you live, I would RUN, and not walk to get it! I've had it since October of 2009, and love it! No tuning adapters, no copy protection on standard HD channels. TWC really blows!
gamo62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:30 AM   #99
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Got another Sub Expires update last night, from 6/11 to 6/19. This is the second update that occurred after a 7 or 8 day interval. Perhaps as a result of my calls to TWC they have corrected my entry on a list their update script uses -- or maybe it's just luck.

I have to wonder if this 8-blink problem has really been happening to most or all SW OH TiVo/TWC subscribers. Only about 10 "victims" have responded in this thread.

and
Old 05-22-2010, 09:41 AM   #100
SASouth

Quote:
Got another Sub Expires update last night, from 6/11 to 6/19. This is the second update that occurred after a 7 or 8 day interval. Perhaps as a result of my calls to TWC they have corrected my entry on a list their update script uses -- or maybe it's just luck.

I have to wonder if this 8-blink problem has really been happening to most or all SW OH TiVo/TWC subscribers. Only about 10 "victims" have responded in this thread.
I just checked my two TAs and they changed from 6/12 to 6/19 as well. This is the first time that has EVER happened for me without a CS rep manually sending a hit.

Maybe someone has finally figured out the fix for the problem. We can only hope.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #101
realityboy

Both of mine have changed to 6/19 as well.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:04 PM   #102
dlfl
Cranky old novice

This afternoon at 2:13 pm my TA rebooted itself, or TWC did it. After it completed and my TiVo reaquired channels, I found the boot time was updated to the current time and my Sub Expires time had moved out 4 days to 0623.095200. I checked the TA firmware version and it's still .1001, so it wasn't a software update. The previous two times TWC updated my Sub Expires date, it DID NOT reboot the TA (I checked the boot time).

I've never had a problem of spontaneous TA reboots before, and since the Sub Expires time updated, I strongly suspect TWC did this. (Who knows why.)
It's a nuisance because it interrupts what you're watching to put up the "A Tuning Adapter is Connected to your TiVo" message (twice), then two minutes of watching the rotating wheel.

and
Old 05-24-2010, 03:19 PM   #103
SASouth

Quote:
This afternoon at 2:13 pm my TA rebooted itself, or TWC did it. After it completed and my TiVo reaquired channels, I found the boot time was updated to the current time and my Sub Expires time had moved out 4 days to 0623.095200.
I checked both of mine and the Sub Expires on both is now updated to 0623.095200 as well. The difference for me is that looks like my TAs did not reboot. My last boot date shows as 5/13 which is when I last made my monthly call to TWC.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:03 PM   #104
realityboy

One of mine changed to 0623.095200. Neither one rebooted though.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #105
dlfl
Cranky old novice

No rhyme or reason to all this! (But why am I surprised? )

and
Old 05-24-2010, 04:22 PM   #106
SASouth

I view all of this as a positive! Two Sub Expires updates within a few days of each other proves to me that what happened over the weekend wasn't a fluke.

I hope it keeps up. (Without the reboots, that is... )
Old 05-24-2010, 04:44 PM   #107
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
I view all of this as a positive! Two Sub Expires updates within a few days of each other proves to me that what happened over the weekend wasn't a fluke.

I hope it keeps up. (Without the reboots, that is... )
I felt a lot more positive about it until the reboot. But really the arbitrary nature (one user gets only one of two TA's updated, another gets both, another gets a reboot plus an unneeded update) plus, as always, not knowing what is behind all of this, is disappointing. Plus knowing there is no one who can (or will) authoritatively give you the full story. But enough of that -- I'll join you in feeling positive, since things are generally better than they were overall. (In other words, I guess a TA reboot in the middle of the day is better than having to call TWC for 8-blinks!)

and
Old 05-24-2010, 06:17 PM   #108
SASouth

Quote:
I felt a lot more positive about it until the reboot. But really the arbitrary nature (one user gets only one of two TA's updated, another gets both, another gets a reboot plus an unneeded update) plus, as always, not knowing what is behind all of this, is disappointing. Plus knowing there is no one who can (or will) authoritatively give you the full story. But enough of that -- I'll join you in feeling positive, since things are generally better than they were overall. (In other words, I guess a TA reboot in the middle of the day is better than having to call TWC for 8-blinks!)
I didn't say it was the ideal solution, but it is a positive step. As you well know, things are rarely perfect with TWC... We probably will never know the full story.

When it comes to TWC, I've learned to take what I can get when I can get it.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #109
ikey78

I have 2 TA's in SW Ohio.

Was getting the 8 blinks in the middle of the month e.g in mid March and April.

In first week of May when I started checking exp dates, both were set to expire on 5/27.

On 5/21, one of the TA's changed to 6/18, the other stayed at 5/27.

Yesterday, both changed to 6/23 and both rebooted.

This is much better than spending 20 minutes on the phone getting the boxes reset because of 8 blinks.
ikey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 08:37 AM   #110
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Another Sub Expires update just one or two days after a reboot/update, now at 0624.112800 -- no reboot this time. Don't know whether it occurred last night or the night before, because I didn't check it yesterday.

and
Old 05-26-2010, 09:03 AM   #111
jmaditto

My 8 blink cycle worked liked clockwork yesterday. My expiration was 5/25 1440 and sure enough when I got home, 8 blinks on both. Called TWC and then ended up getting transferred to the CableCard Hotline. He was very nice and knew exactly what was going on and said he didn’t mind one bit their # was posted here and some of us are calling. He also stated they knew about the issue and they are working on a auto renewal process. No indication on timeframe. Anyway, this is what we did in order.

Step 1 - Balancing Hit (O7 Screen and hit enter)
Still had issue

Step 2 - sent hit to each TA. I think it is a "reboot" hit. He said this is what we send to TA's that are "bricked"
I was solid green and the TA got its new date but still couldn’t tune channels…lots of them . Got a message about no cable signal on the TiVo.

Step 3 - Powered off each TA
Success.

This is the first time I had to go through all 3 steps as usually #1 takes care of it. He stated from some reason he has to do #3 more often now. No clue why. My next opportunity is June 24.

Last edited by jmaditto : 05-26-2010 at 10:16 AM.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:29 AM   #112
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmaditto View Post
My 8 blink cycle worked liked clockwork yesterday. My expiration was 5/25 1440 and sure enough when I got home, 8 blinks on both. Called TWC and then ended up getting transferred to the CableCard Hotline. He was very nice and knew exactly what was going on and said he didn’t mind one bit their # was posted here and some of us are calling. He also stated they knew about the issue and they are working on a auto renewal process. No indication on timeframe. Anyway, this is what we did in order.

Step 1 - Balancing Hit (O7 Screen and hit enter)
Still had issue

Step 2 - sent hit to each TA
I was solid green and the TA got its new date but still couldn’t tune channels…lots of them . Got a message about no cable signal on the TiVo.

Step 3 - Powered off each TA
Success.

This is the first time I had to go through all 3 steps as usually #1 takes care of it. He stated from some reason he has to do #3 more often now. No clue why. My next opportunity is June 24.
What kind of hit was sent in Step 2? We have yet to see a set of steps that will work every time for every TA.

The NCCS has been saying things like that for months now. Things seem to be getting better (in SW Ohio at least) but is that what they're talking about?

and
Old 05-26-2010, 09:56 AM   #113
Grumock

Quote:
What kind of hit was sent in Step 2? We have yet to see a set of steps that will work every time for every TA.

The NCCS has been saying things like that for months now. Things seem to be getting better (in SW Ohio at least) but is that what they're talking about?
I am wondering if step #2 was the restaging hit sent from the "DNCS"
Old 05-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #114
jmaditto

Quote:

Yea, nothing new on “we are working on it” for sure. As for the steps, although I may not need to use all 3 every time, it is the same 3 steps every month for me. Early on I would only do step 1, then my TA was bricked (couple of months ago) and we had to do step 2 and then yesterday was the first time I had to actually do step 3.

Pain in arse! At least I know exactly what to say and can help direct them away from a "truck roll" now.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:25 AM   #115
jmaditto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
I am wondering if step #2 was the restaging hit sent from the "DNCS"
The person on the phone said they call the headend sometimes to restage but that was not what he did for me.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #116
SASouth

Quote:
Another Sub Expires update just one or two days after a reboot/update, now at 0624.112800 -- no reboot this time. Don't know whether it occurred last night or the night before, because I didn't check it yesterday.
Just checked mine. No change for me, still at 0623.095200 on both.

Why am I not surprised...

Edit: Whoops! I just checked again at 7:00 PM and Sub Expires has updated to 0625.130400 on both. It doesn't appear to be any set schedule as to when these things update!

Last edited by SASouth : 05-26-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #117
realityboy

I still have one for 6/23 and one for 6/19. No changes since Monday, but as long as they are updating, I'm happy. I haven't actually had to call since mid-April.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #118
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
......... It doesn't appear to be any set schedule as to when these things update!
Now that is a definite understatement! There doesn't seem to be anything definite, or uniform for all users, about TA's on our system.

I picture a hacker at TWC playing with scripts -- just be glad the scripts don't control missile launches!

and
Old 06-05-2010, 07:57 AM   #119
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Another update without reboot last night, now at 0705.032800. TWC seems to have this fixed, for me at least.

and
Old 06-05-2010, 08:12 AM   #120
SASouth

Quote:
Another update without reboot last night, now at 0705.032800. TWC seems to have this fixed, for me at least.
Mine updated last night as well. Mine is at 0703.001600