TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 AM   #61
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASouth View Post
I'll keep my eye on it and report back. Hopefully, mine will do the same.

If my TA/Tivos can duplicate your results it will be a somewhat acceptable workaround if it lets me avoid that monthly call to TWC!
No change in Sub Expires in 48 hours after hard rebooting the TA and the Tivo. It's still set at 0513.123200.
SASouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:37 AM   #62
dlramsey

Quote:
No change in Sub Expires in 48 hours after hard rebooting the TA and the Tivo. It's still set at 0513.123200.
Interesting, for what it's worth, mine hasn't updated in the past two days either. I've been checking daily to see if I can figure out if there's something that would be an easy flag to indicate it's time to reboot.

Do your GBAM counters increment if you refresh after 15-30 seconds?
What's your CA time field? is it current or is it a past date/time?

For comparison, my GBAM counters currently are incrementing, but before my forced reboot they were not; also the CA time field before my reboot was stuck on 0428.something but after the reboot is now more/less the current time.
dlramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:48 AM   #63
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlramsey View Post
Do your GBAM counters increment if you refresh after 15-30 seconds?
What's your CA time field? is it current or is it a past date/time?
The GBAM counters and the CA Time field are incrementing on mine. The CA Time field is current.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:22 PM   #64
dlramsey

Quote:
The GBAM counters and the CA Time field are incrementing on mine. The CA Time field is current.
Hmmm... I haven't seen my sub expires time increase in the last two days either so maybe you haven't missed anything, it might not actually be a daily process.

I'll continue to watch mine daily and post something when (if?) I see my sub expires date increment.
dlramsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #65
filmont

Thumbs up Interesting and informative thread

Lots of good info posted here!

I get the 8-blink issue maybeevery two months, but it hasn't been that bad of an issue. If I can't get it to "resync" by various forms of rebooting on my own, I call TWC. I've only had one tech that was able to answer any question I through at him, that was great. Usually I have to explain the SDV technology and how it benefits the cable industry plus the CC tech to every CSR I speak with, which is infuriating. But, luckily, I don't have to speak with tech support all that often.

My setup:
1 Series 3
1 TiVo HD
Both have TA's
There is a 4 way splitter before them and I think a 2 way somewhere else (apartment living sucks, can't know what's running in the walls) I know the building is wired with RG59 unfortunately.
filmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #66
realityboy

I'm still getting this problem roughly once a month or so. I never checked the dates before this thread so when this thread was started I checked and my subs were set to expire on 5/20 & 5/29 which sounded about right. I know that one went out a week before the other one last month. I didn't reboot or change anything, and today, I saw that the expirations were 5/20 (no change) and 6/5 (previously 5/29 and it hasn't been rebooted since 4/20). I suppose it could be a signal issue, but the one that updated has a splitter before it while the other one does not. Tuner -4, FDC -10, & RDC 43 on the one that updated. Tuner -2, FDC -8 & RDC 35 on the one that did not update. Also, I've never had trouble receiving hits sent to the boxes when calls are made to have them reset. It seems that if it was a signal issue making it fail 28/28 tries that these would occasionally fail as well.

I tried rebooting the non-updated one today, and I'll keep an eye on it to see if it updates. If it doesn't, I might try switching it out with the TA in the other room to see if the signal strength is making a difference or if the problem follows the box.
realityboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:26 PM   #67
filmont

So of course after I post that I rarely have issues with my TA's, what do I find when I get home? 2 blinking TA's blinking in unison!!
Old 05-11-2010, 10:53 PM   #68
haleysj

SubExpireTime

My expire date on the TA PowerKey screens is 06/01 8:48 AM, and hasn't changed for the past week. Rebooted a few days ago, no change.

I was looking through the CableCard diagnostics, and it shows a SubExpireTime of 6/1 12:48 GMT - which translates into the same time as the TA expire time.

Could this all be a cable card problem instead of a Tuning Adapter problem?

Next time it goes to 8 blinks, I'll check the cablecard's subexpiretime before and after I call TWC for the hits.

Steve
haleysj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #69
realityboy

Both of my Cablecards in my Series 3 say 6/5 and the TA is set to expire 5/20. My Tivo HD with a TA set to expire 6/5 has the Cablecard set to expire 5/29.

I don't see a correlation there, but I'll keep checking them. I've never had to call and have my Cablecards reset in the 4 years or so that I've had them (nor do I think they send any hits to my Cablecards when I call about the TA). They have been reset/swapped out for other issues but never did they just need reauthorized like the TA needs.
Old 05-12-2010, 08:20 AM   #70
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmont View Post
So of course after I post that I rarely have issues with my TA's, what do I find when I get home? 2 blinking TA's blinking in unison!!
LOL ! Sorry about that. Just for the information of other readers, I know you are in the Dayton Ohio area based on your post in another thread. Keep us posted on how you get your blinks fixed.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 AM   #71
realityboy

All 3 of my Cablecards and 1 of my TA have updated to 6/11 as of this am. 1 TA (the one that I rebooted) still says 5/20 so it doesn't seem that rebooting helps in my situation.

Edit: I think it would be an odd signal strength problem considering that the CableCards updated and the TA did not. The cable runs through the TA to the Tivo/CableCards.

Last edited by realityboy : 05-13-2010 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:30 AM   #72
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by realityboy View Post
All 3 of my Cablecards and 1 of my TA have updated to 6/11 as of this am. 1 TA (the one that I rebooted) still says 5/20 so it doesn't seem that rebooting helps in my situation.

Edit: I think it would be an odd signal strength problem considering that the CableCards updated and the TA did not. The cable runs through the TA to the Tivo/CableCards.
What are you reading to get CableCARD update times?

and
Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 AM   #73
realityboy

In the Cablecard Menu there is SubExpireTime. On the SA CableCard CA Screen, choose More CA Details.

I don't know if its useful data or not, but I thought I would look at it since haleysj mentioned it above.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:17 AM   #74
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
In the Cablecard Menu there is SubExpireTime. On the SA CableCard CA Screen, choose More CA Details.

I don't know if its useful data or not, but I thought I would look at it since haleysj mentioned it above.
hmmm... that must be for m-cards. I have s-cards and there is no CA Screen. There is a CP screen but no choice for more details, and nothing in any of the CC screens for SubExpireTime. (??)

and
Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #75
realityboy

I have all m-cards even though 2 of them are in a S3. I remember when I had s-cards that there were fewer menu screens. With the m-cards, "SA CableCard CA Screen" is the one at the top of the list, and it shows Conditional Access Details. I have the CP Info screen as well. With M-cards the list is:

SA CableCard CA Screen
SA CableCARD/Host ID Screen
SA CableCARD IP Service
SA CableCARD DAVIC Info
SA CableCARD CP Info
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
SA CableCARD ASD Info
SA CableCARD DSG Info
Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #76
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I have all m-cards even though 2 of them are in a S3. I remember when I had s-cards that there were fewer menu screens. With the m-cards, "SA CableCard CA Screen" is the one at the top of the list, and it shows Conditional Access Details. I have the CP Info screen as well. With M-cards the list is:

SA CableCard CA Screen
SA CableCARD/Host ID Screen
SA CableCARD IP Service
SA CableCARD DAVIC Info
SA CableCARD CP Info
SA CableCARD Diag Screen
SA CableCARD ASD Info
SA CableCARD DSG Info
Yeah, good ole TWC -- they insisted they only had s-cards last July, and again in August. I strongly suspected, and quickly confirmed, that was a crock! I decided not to fix what aint broke just to save $2.54/mo.

and
Old 05-13-2010, 11:40 AM   #77
realityboy

I just bought a refurb Tivo HD about 3 months ago, and they brought out an M-card then as well.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:18 PM   #78
filmont

Every time I ask about M cards, they say that they are getting 2way cards soon. That's great and all, but completely useless for us!

Anyway, to get things fixed here's what I tried and what worked:
To go from the 8 blinks to a constant blink, I unplugged everything and gave it a few minutes. On one I left the USB cable unplugged and on the other I left it plugged in. Then I powered up the TA and then the Tivo.
Then today, I called TWC and explained what I did and they sent out the hits. They then started asking me to reboot things but since everything was up and running, I didn't do it. That was all that was needed.

I did ask about the "subscription expiration" and the tech allegedly asked tier 3 about it. He was told that there isn't an expiration on the units and that there should be no reason for one to exist. So, to me, this sounds like either no one knows anything or they don't want to tell the end user what's going on.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:37 PM   #79
Vesper

Having this same issue with both of my TA's in Southeastern Wisconsin. My 2 TAs seem to die every 30 days, but they are roughly a half month out of phase with each other. This means I'm calling TW almost every 2 weeks. I always ask to get transferred to Tier 3 support, and it only takes a few minutes of them sending hits and rebooting the TA to fix it. This last time, we had to go through the process twice - the TA ended up in a really weird state where it had a solid light, but it wouldn't successfully send SDV request signals. It just sat on the "press select to watch this channel" message.

My Tier 3 reps claim that this is a Cisco firmware issue that they are waiting on a fix for.
Vesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #80
SASouth

Quote:
As I expected, when I got home yesterday I had the 8 blink problem on both of my TAs. The hypothesis that a manual reboot of both the Tivo and the TA appears to be, at least for me, invalid.

Fortunately, I was able to get it fixed for another month in record time with TWC. It took about 10 minutes this time with a regular CS rep. She really didn't know much about TAs but she was very willing to listen to what I had to say and then to try my suggestions.

I've learned a couple of things that seems to make the process of getting the 8 blink problem fixed a little easier. Hopefully, these will be of value to you all. The most important part is probably which CS rep you get when you call. Unfortunately we can't control that.

One of the things I've learned is that it really helps to know that the right hit that they need to send is called a refresh hit on their screen. (I got that bit of info from the last CS rep I worked with.) I was told that they have about four or five different types of hits that they can send. The refresh hit is the only one that seems to work consistently.

If you have more than one TA, cable card, or STB another thing that helps the rep is to be able to give them the MAC address of the TA. They usually can find the TA much quicker if they have it.

One last thing. I've also since discovered if the right hit gets sent, I don't have to physically reboot the Tivo or the TA. After the TA gets the hit and completes its initialization all you need to do is press the power button on the front of the unit and you're back in business.

At least those are my experiences... Your mileage may vary, as they say.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:54 AM   #81
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
One last thing. I've also since discovered if the right hit gets sent, I don't have to physically reboot the Tivo or the TA. After the TA gets the hit and completes its initialization all you need to do is press the power button on the front of the unit and you're back in business.
Great info, thanks!

So what does the TA do if it gets just the right ("refresh") hit? Does it reboot, or stop blinking or what? How do you know it got it? In other words, what does it do during the "initialization" you mention? How do you know when to push the power button?

and
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #82
SASouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Great info, thanks!

So what does the TA do if it gets just the right ("refresh") hit? Does it reboot, or stop blinking or what? How do you know it got it? In other words, what does it do during the "initialization" you mention? How do you know when to push the power button?
Bear in mind that I'm telling you this from memory. I may be leaving out a detail.

Basically the refresh hit causes the TA to do a soft reboot. The light will briefly stop blinking, and the TA Diagnostics screens will say that there are no diagnostics available.

Next, while it's initializing the lights will begin blinking again with a different sequence. The TA Diagnostic status summary screen will say that the status is "Initializing."

When it is finished initializing your Tivo should pop up a screen telling you that it found a Tuning Adapter. The status summary screen on the TA will say the status is "Ready." Once it goes to "Ready", you can check the Sub Expires screen to see if the date has changed. If it hasn't your TA will probably need another refresh hit.

At this point the light on the TA should be off. That's when you hit the power button on the TA. If the hit was successful, then the light will come on and stay solid.

The Tivo will need a minute or so to find all of the channels but that shouldn't take long at all. After that, it should be good to go with no hard reboot of either the Tivo or the TA.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:54 AM   #83
dlfl
Cranky old novice

So this involves a reboot of the TA, about as extensive as it can get, other than also having to reboot your TiVo. (Usually after my TA reboots, either manually or by a hit, I have to reboot my TiVo also to get it to do the "Acquiring Channels" thing. This is even though the TiVo knows that the TA has been reconnected or rebooted.)

Presumably the scheduled TWC signals that update Sub Expire (when they work) don't involve all this. (??) Or maybe the TA is rebooting in the middle of the night and it's transparent to the user. (?). One could tell by monitoring the boot timestamp in the TA diagnostics. (If one of these scheduled refreshes ever works for me, I will check. )

and
Old 05-14-2010, 11:57 AM   #84
jmaditto

This works for me

I’m in Columbia SC but reading this thread sounds like what I have experienced and have dealt with this over the last 4 months, I feel now I finally have resolution. When I type resolution, I mean I know exactly what to tell the CSR to do so get my TA’s reauthorized. Here are my thoughts.

First, let’s level set just to make sure we are having the same issue. I see my TA in an 8 blink cycle and no SDV channels are tunable. Second, I go into the TA Diag and at the top of page 1 of the Navigation Map and select “Status Summary.” In there I see “INITIALIZED” and “Ready.” I go back to the main page 1. Have to go all the way to the bottom of page 1 arrowing down through all the menu items until reaching “Next Page” and select it and then select “Tuning Resolver” at the top. In there I see “Authorized = Disabled.” When working properly it shows as “yes” and OpStatus=Ready. Anyway, once I verify I’m “Disabled” I’m ready to call TWC CSR.

Here is exactly what I do. After explaining this is a monthly call and I have written down what they need to do, I say I need a “Balancing Signal” or “Addressable Hit” or “07 Screen hit” please. They usually ask if I worked for TWC at this point. The reason I give all three is b/c it is apparently it is called by different names. 07 Screen hit is b/c they go to screen 7 and then “enter” to send the balancing signal. This is sent to my account and not a specific device. Almost immediately my TA will stop blinking and then reboot. I then go and chk the status as I described above. Patience is a virtue as sometimes it takes 15mins before in the “Tuning Resolver I see “Authoized=yes” and “OpStatus=Ready.” Now, if I don't see my TA react when they send this signal, I know it is locked up. In that case I have them send a hit signal to each TA to “unlock it” and then send the balancing signal again. Problem is resolved and I'm all authorized again. Some of this came from the NCCS hotline guys.

Anyway, maybe this helps maybe not....it works for me. Good luck.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #85
SASouth

Quote:
So this involves a reboot of the TA, about as extensive as it can get, other than also having to reboot your TiVo.
My point was that I did not have to physically power down and restart anything. The simple act of them sending the refresh hit causes the TA to restart. The last two times I went through this I did not have to reboot the Tivo.

I'm only recounting my experiences from yesterday here and what I think I've learned. Your experience may represent something entirely different.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #86
jmaditto

Yes - No need to power down

Quote:
My point was that I did not have to physically power down and restart anything. The simple act of them sending the refresh hit causes the TA to restart. The last two times I went through this I did not have to reboot the Tivo.

I'm only recounting my experiences from yesterday here and what I think I've learned. Your experience may represent something entirely different.

SASouth - I'm seeing the same. The hit you are referring to is the balancing signal I'm referring to in my post above. It just cycles my TA.
jmaditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #87
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
My point was that I did not have to physically power down and restart anything. The simple act of them sending the refresh hit causes the TA to restart........
That's a good point, especially if your TA is hard to access. For ten months now when I've called local or NCCS support for 8-blinks, the first thing they've asked me to do is power-cycle the TA. When you last called in did they try to get you to do that?

and
Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #88
SASouth

Quote:
That's a good point, especially if your TA is hard to access. For ten months now when I've called local or NCCS support for 8-blinks, the first thing they've asked me to do is power-cycle the TA. When you last called in did they try to get you to do that?
I've never had the opportunity to talk to the NCCS. I guess that the good news there is that I've always been able to work with local support to get it resolved.

I've rarely been asked to power cycle the TA. That's not to say that I haven't tried it myself a few times here and there. It never has helped. The only thing that I've seen work is the hit.
Old 05-14-2010, 02:57 PM   #89
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
I've never had the opportunity to talk to the NCCS. I guess that the good news there is that I've always been able to work with local support to get it resolved.
You've been lucky there! On several occasions, local support had no suggestions other than a truck roll. NCCS saved the day in those cases.
Quote:
I've rarely been asked to power cycle the TA. That's not to say that I haven't tried it myself a few times here and there. It never has helped. The only thing that I've seen work is the hit.
Our experiences agree in that I've never seen a reboot help either.

and
Old 05-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #90
squiddohio

On just about any call, the first suggestion is almost always to reboot whatever it is that you are calling about.
And my answer is just as invariably "I just did that."
squiddohio is offline   Reply With Quote