TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-26-2010, 08:39 AM   #5671
trunksy

Re: Internal hard drive list

Why don't you still show the Cinemastar 7K1000 (model HCS721010KLA330) as discontinued? It looks like it has been removed completely without any notes as to why it was removed like the WD Eco Green drives which have an admonishment not to buy them. You can still buy them from many online retailers including newegg.com or buy.com.

I would prefer to buy the most recent version of the drive, the Cinemastar 7K1000.C (model HCS721010KLA332) but I haven't been able to find those for sale except on a Chinese website.

It looks like newer versions of the drives are only being sold directly to manufacturers and integrators only but I'm hoping some online retailers might be able to get their hands on them if there's a knowledge and consequently desire by customers to purchase them.
trunksy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:35 AM   #5672
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Another Data Point Re: WD Green Drives

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
If you think you may have installed one of these newer Western Digital "Green" drives in your TiVo, but are not sure, there is a simple test. Restart your TiVo through the Messages & Settings -> Restart or Reset TiVo menu. If your TiVo boots properly (give it ten minutes), then you have an older drive that does not exhibit the issue. If the TiVo refuses to boot until you pull the power plug, then the procedure described above should eliminate that problem. It has no known ill effects and it will not affect your TiVo software or recordings.
I'm not so sure this test tells all there is to know.

I have two THDs that both pass this software restart test, though one had a WD10EVVS (19 September, 2009) drive and the other had a WD10EVDS.

These DVRs tend to suffer the GSAS (Green Screen And Screech) crash within seconds of each other. I noted that on two occasions, one would reboot by itself, the other would not. I noted too that on a couple of occasions, THD1 would crash by itself and it would not reboot automatically; I had to pull the plug.

Just yesterday, I switched to a Seagate Pipeline 1 TB drive, replacing the WD10EVVS that had been in it. This morning, that DVR crashed and rebooted itself. Coincidence? Is it Just One Of Those Things or did changing the drive (which passes the software reboot test) to a Seagate allow it to reboot?

I don't know. But I'll be watching to see whether subsequent crashes are followed by reboots with the Seagate Pipeline drive in this DVR.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:35 AM   #5673
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrepli View Post
Rich,

Going into this I thought I would need to run IntelliPark so I did not write down any specific drive information before putting the TiVo back together. However, I did make note of the build date, March 2010. Thanks again.
Good info.

So for those that follow...possibly WD GP hard drives manufactured after X date March 2010 may not need the Intellipark "feature" disabled. (I think we can assume everyone with a TiVo Series3 or TiVo HD/HDXL has received v11.0g by now.)

FUTURE UPGRADERS: If you are going to upgrade your TiVo Series3 or TiVo HD/HDXL using a Western Digital GP (green) hard drive your help is needed. If the drive was manufactured sometime in March 2010 or later and is 1TB or greater, try performing the upgrade and installing it w/o disabling Intellipark (running wdidle.exe). Then try a soft reboot (menu restart) and let us know if it hangs on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen. Posting your results will be very valuable to those that follow.

Everyone's help would be appreciated because I know I'd like to see these drives go back in the "fully recommended" category myself!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #5674
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi View Post
Of course, even if the WD1600AVVS is a SATA I device, that does not necessarily mean that THD cannot handle SATA II drives; its controller may in fact be SATA II.
The TiVoHD's Broadcom chip has a SATA-I interface, but it makes no difference, because SATA drives autodetect SATA-I or SATA-2 and switch as appropriate. Some older drives and controllers had a problem with that, hence the switch, but that is unnecessary on the newer drives and the TiVo.

SATA-II drives work fine in the TiVo HD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunksy View Post
Why don't you still show the Cinemastar 7K1000 (model HCS721010KLA330) as discontinued? It looks like it has been removed completely without any notes as to why it was removed like the WD Eco Green drives which have an admonishment not to buy them. You can still buy them from many online retailers including newegg.com or buy.com.
At the time the change was made, I did not see the drive for sale any longer. I re-added that drive to the list.

Several people have asked me to add a download link and/or information on Mr. Broflovski's hacked image to the FAQ. Forum management does not allow download links to the TiVo software, or specific discussion of hacked software. Hence, I'm not certain how to handle that subject in the first post.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #5675
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Several people have asked me to add a download link and/or information on Mr. Broflovski's hacked image to the FAQ. Forum management does not allow download links to the TiVo software, or specific discussion of hacked software. Hence, I'm not certain how to handle that subject in the first post.

The forum allowed discussion about, and links to, the zipper. Discussion about superpatch. I'd call that hacked software. I was surprised TCF allowed such discussion. I'm not sure where TCF draws the line.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #5676
richsadams

Quote:
I'm not so sure this test tells all there is to know. <snip>
Hi Marconi. Based on this and some of your other posts (and remedies we've discussed) I think you have other issues (signal, etc.) and that the reboots you're experiencing have nothing to do with whichever drive you have, the soft reboot issue or otherwise. That you're still experiencing reboots with a Seagate drive Vs a WD tends to confirm that. Reboots (outside of updates) are never "normal".
Old 04-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #5677
donnoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxrepli View Post
Rich,

Going into this I thought I would need to run IntelliPark so I did not write down any specific drive information before putting the TiVo back together. However, I did make note of the build date, March 2010. Thanks again.
I also used the WD20EVDS drive with a March build date and the Broflovski image but did run wdidle3 on it before I did anything else. Maybe I'm imagining things but I thought I read on here somewhere that the Tivo HDXL works ok on WD drives without running wdidle3. Since the Broflovski image uses parts of the XL software that may explain it.

Once again I'm not sure if I read this about the XL or my mind is playing tricks on me. It would be nice to know if someone does a 1TB upgrade without running wdidle3 if it soft boots ok.
donnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 06:40 PM   #5678
Marconi
TiVo Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Hi Marconi. Based on this and some of your other posts (and remedies we've discussed) I think you have other issues (signal, etc.) and that the reboots you're experiencing have nothing to do with whichever drive you have, the soft reboot issue or otherwise.
I think you missed the point of my post.

The soft reboot issue is very much drive dependent, agreed? I'm just saying that passing the test (restarting DVR through the settings menu) does not seem to be the sole predictor of whether you'll need to pull the plug to reboot.

I never said or even hinted that the drive was causing the crashes. Those are obviously other problems. But, it does appear, to me, that the THD with the Seagate Pipeline is more likely to automatically reboot following a crash than when it had the WD10EVVS that passed the soft reboot test.

I believe the WD10EVVS was, despite having passed the soft reboot test, preventing auto-reboot.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #5679
MPSAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
The forum allowed discussion about, and links to, the zipper. Discussion about superpatch. I'd call that hacked software. I was surprised TCF allowed such discussion. I'm not sure where TCF draws the line.
The >1gb image links can not be made public per the agreement that was needed before the download link(s) were given. Just sayin...
Old 04-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #5680
lew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPSAN View Post
The >1gb image links can not be made public per the agreement that was needed before the download link(s) were given. Just sayin...
No problem. There is no logic to what's allowed in TCF. I didn't realize there was an agreement. Bkdtv doesn't want to put the link in his "sticky". I thought the issue was still open.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #5681
richsadams

Quote:
I think you missed the point of my post.

The soft reboot issue is very much drive dependent, agreed? I'm just saying that passing the test (restarting DVR through the settings menu) does not seem to be the sole predictor of whether you'll need to pull the plug to reboot.

I never said or even hinted that the drive was causing the crashes. Those are obviously other problems. But, it does appear, to me, that the THD with the Seagate Pipeline is more likely to automatically reboot following a crash than when it had the WD10EVVS that passed the soft reboot test.

I believe the WD10EVVS was, despite having passed the soft reboot test, preventing auto-reboot.
Oh, okay, I see your point, my mistake. There's certainly a difference between rebooting from a menu restart (soft reboot) Vs a unexpected hard reboot of some sort (power failure, etc.) However I'm not sure that's what you meant by a "crash". As long as the WD rebooted properly from a menu restart that only means it doesn't have the Intellipark soft reboot problem. Whether one hard drive will reboot after a failure better than another hasn't ever come up AFAIK. Interesting thought, but if that were true we probably would have seen some sort of long-term correlation in various posts over the years. That said, those sorts of reboots are fairly rare so there may not be enough data to say one way or another. Interesting thought though.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:25 PM   #5682
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I have been having freeze/reboot issues lately. Could it be this 11g (?) software causing any issues? I would doubt it.

I have a TiVoHD with a 500gb expander and using the Siig cable.

Something must be going bad. Regardless of if it is the Expander or the original drive, I am toying with getting an upgrade drive.

Weakknees or DVR?

Do I try changing out the Siig cable first? Do i divorce the expander (Would like to wait until after finale season if possible)? Etc.

Not sure the best course of action........
Old 04-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #5683
jlb
NCC-1701-D

It just seems weird that the problems I have been experiencing are so recent and close in timing to this 11.0.g update........
Old 04-26-2010, 10:03 PM   #5684
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb View Post
Something must be going bad. Regardless of if it is the Expander or the original drive, I am toying with getting an upgrade drive.

Weakknees or DVR?
Your third choice would be to follow the steps in the 1st post of this FAQ and go the WinMFS route and a bare drive.

Quote:
It just seems weird that the problems I have been experiencing are so recent and close in timing to this 11.0.g update........
It's all anecdotal evidence. Mine happens to be competely different. I had lots of problems with the previous software. I suspected my problems were due to bad MyDVR expanders. I then replaced the old internal drives and expanders with new, higher capacity internal drives. Since then I haven't had problems, even after my boxes updated themselves to the 11.0.g software.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:14 AM   #5685
richsadams

Quote:
Agree with Phantom, it's not likely v11.0g is causing your TiVo any problems. Historically there are always reports of issues right after an update but this time it has been surprisingly quiet.

Based on your description the most likely culprit is your eSATA drive. Have a look at this post to see if anything fits and your options...

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7553444

I also agree that if you're going to upgrade your internal drive DIY is the way to go if you're comfortable connecting a hard drive to a PC. Everything you need to know is in the first post of this sticky thread. It looks a little complicated, but once you do it, it's really quite easy. Otherwise DVRUpgrade and others have pre-imaged drives you can drop in. (DVRUpgrade is a TCF sponsor BTW)

Best of luck and let us know how things go!
Old 04-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #5686
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I might consider the DIY route but I do like the idea of a drop in. My only concern with drop in is possibly having to repair my M series cable card, right? Or does that info get written to some mem on the MB (which I doubt)?

I am ok with having to redo the rest of GS and setting up my SPs again. I assume I might also have to re-enable my remote address and things like stereo equipment power codes, amazon vod password, etc.

I see both DVR Upgrade and Weakknees are sponsors. How do I choose which one if I go that route? Right now, it seems DVR is a tad cheaper....

Also, is it worth just trying a new enclosure for the WD expander first?

Rich, if possible, can we have an email dialog on this as I cannot get to the forum at my client's offices? Thanks!

Last edited by jlb : 04-27-2010 at 05:34 AM.
jlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:42 AM   #5687
Nihilator
Rebate Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
FUTURE UPGRADERS: If you are going to upgrade your TiVo Series3 or TiVo HD/HDXL using a Western Digital GP (green) hard drive your help is needed. If the drive was manufactured sometime in March 2010 or later and is 1TB or greater, try performing the upgrade and installing it w/o disabling Intellipark (running wdidle.exe). Then try a soft reboot (menu restart) and let us know if it hangs on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen. Posting your results will be very valuable to those that follow.
Well, I thought I'd have something relevant to add, but the drive I'm using has turned out to be older than March 2010. In any event:

Tivo HD with original drive, 11.0g software. Purchased a retail-boxed 1.5TB WD15000CSRTL drive from Best Buy for $99, which turns out to be a WD15EARS, build date of 15 DEC 2009. Used a Cavalry dual-dock and WinMFS (beta 9.3f) to perform the backup and restore/copy (which took about 4.5 hours), and I'm now sitting on 198 HD / 1733 SD hours.

I'm also at 10 minutes and counting on the "Welcome! Powering up..." screen after a soft-reset, so Intellipark is still an issue.

It doesn't bother me. I don't have a PC with SATA capability, and the incremental cost and trouble of finding and installing an adapter (in my old IDE PC) is more than just performing a power cycle every four to six months. Plus, eventually someone will make a utility that I can use with the SATA dock to change the Intellipark parameters, so I'll just wait it out.

--Chris

PS - Ignore the signature. I was very active here way back in the day!
Nihilator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:39 AM   #5688
aclinml

Hi, guys. Great forum. I just completed my internal hard drive upgrade, and all is well except one minor thing. I was able to get the Hitachi 1 TB drive on the sale for $69.

I did the upgrade to copy all settings and programs. Like I said, everything went fine. After the copy was completed, I did get the next message..."Do you want to expand the drive?". I replied yes, and it came right back and said "Done". I powered the PC down and took the new drive and installed it in my TIVO HD. It came right up and my "Now Playing" list was complete with my original recordings. The only problem is, when I look at the Settings, Account information page, it only shows 142 HD hours of recording space.

How come it did not show the expected 157 hours?

Should I hook it back up to my PC as drive A and select "MfsSupersize On"?

Any ideas why this did not appear to get the extra 15 hours????

Thanks for any help,
Mike
aclinml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 10:47 AM   #5689
SugarBowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinml View Post
Hi, guys. Great forum. I just completed my internal hard drive upgrade, and all is well except one minor thing. I was able to get the Hitachi 1 TB drive on the sale for $69.

Any ideas why this did not appear to get the extra 15 hours????

Thanks for any help,
Mike
yes, the supersize is an extra step that you have to do manually.
SugarBowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:31 AM   #5690
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclinml View Post

Any ideas why this did not appear to get the extra 15 hours?
Hi Mike and congrats on your "new" TiVo! The Supersize option is a pop-up window that should have appeared when you clicked on it (if you followed the steps correctly). Unfortunately there seems to be a little bug that allows that pop-up to open behind the main winMFS window so you may not have seen it. (I always set the winMFS window a little to one side of the screen to be sure I see any pop-ups).

It's a simple matter of reconnecting your new drive to your PC, firing up winMFS once more and selecting Supersize from the drop-down menu to get the full amount of space though. It won't affect anything else and you should be good to go.

Happy upgrading!
Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #5691
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilator View Post
Well, I thought I'd have something relevant to add, but the drive I'm using has turned out to be older than March 2010. In any event <snip>
Thanks for that...good info in any case.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:42 AM   #5692
richsadams

Quote:
I might consider the DIY route but I do like the idea of a drop in. My only concern with drop in is possibly having to repair my M series cable card, right? Or does that info get written to some mem on the MB (which I doubt)?

I am ok with having to redo the rest of GS and setting up my SPs again. I assume I might also have to re-enable my remote address and things like stereo equipment power codes, amazon vod password, etc.

I see both DVR Upgrade and Weakknees are sponsors. How do I choose which one if I go that route? Right now, it seems DVR is a tad cheaper....

Also, is it worth just trying a new enclosure for the WD expander first?

Rich, if possible, can we have an email dialog on this as I cannot get to the forum at my client's offices? Thanks!
Unfortunately if you buy a third-party hard drive it would be the same as buying a brand new TiVo, you'll have to deal with cable card setup, etc. BTW some cableco's will allow you to call in the cable card info to pair them, others are not so progressive and require a truck roll.

I think you're talking about the codes to turn your stereo and TV on/off, etc.? If so, that info is stored in your TiVo remote, so it will still work normally.

Based on about a year's worth of posts now it seems like it's about 50/50 with respect to the WD My DVR Expander failures being an actual hard drive Vs enclosure problem. A number of folks have been able to pull the hard drive out of their Expander, slip it into a new enclosure and be back in business. Others haven't been so lucky.

AFAIK Weaknees isn't a TCF sponsor, they just advertise here (although being a TC Club Member, I don't see any ads). I believe only DVRUpgrade is an actual sponsor and FWIW the owner is a great guy. My loyalty lies with those that support "us", but I know they are both reputable companies and take good care of their customers.

Best of luck and feel free to PM me with your e-mail if you have any questions.
Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #5693
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Go by price. Weaknees bought DVR Upgrade so you're buying from the same company, no matter which site you do it from. Personally I'd buy from someone on eBay. I'm not a Weaknees fan.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:09 PM   #5694
jlb
NCC-1701-D

I have always tinkered with computers but for whatever reason, nervous as heck about doing an upgrade. My hand is being forced now due to my apparently starting to die 500gb Expander.

With much thanks to Rich Adams I am taking the plunge and taking the expander out of the loop and doing an internal upgrade.

I too am going with the Hitachi 1tb drive. I ordered the drive and a Sata USB dock rather than opening my PC up.

This is something I should have done a long time ago, but better late than never.

And again, Rich, thanks for the hand-holding during this part of the process!!!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:19 PM   #5695
JoeTaxpayer

Thank you for your kindness Rich. I got the image and see it boots up the PC.

One (dumb) question - I have two Series 3 TiVos (the THX model). Can I install the drive into TiVo B, transfer all programs from A to B and then put that drive into TiVo A? i.e. can drives set up in same model TiVos be moved around and keep their programing?
If not, I can do a move to a computer and then load back up, as if I owned just the one TiVo. Just asking as I'm sure this has come up before. Somewhere.
JoeTaxpayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:41 PM   #5696
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Weaknees bought DVR Upgrade so you're buying from the same company, no matter which site you do it from.
Really? I did not know that. I have to start paying closer attention to these things.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:43 PM   #5697
richsadams

Quote:
And again, Rich, thanks for the hand-holding during this part of the process!!!
Glad to help and give back as it were. You can buy me a virtual beer when all is said and done.
Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 PM   #5698
aclinml

Thanks, Guys. Don't know how I missed it during the copy, but I hooked my hard drive back up to my computer, did the Supersize, and now I'm the proud parent of a 157 pound....uh, hour TIVO HD. Finally, I don't have to review my programs and schedule before going out of town for a few days.

I really appreciate those who keep the 'Upgrade' thread up to date with info on drives that will work on the different boxes.

OK, I'm off to do some recording!
Mike
aclinml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #5699
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
One (dumb) question - I have two Series 3 TiVos (the THX model). Can I install the drive into TiVo B, transfer all programs from A to B and then put that drive into TiVo A? i.e. can drives set up in same model TiVos be moved around and keep their programing?
If not, I can do a move to a computer and then load back up, as if I owned just the one TiVo. Just asking as I'm sure this has come up before. Somewhere.
Not a dumb question at all. I'm not sure about your plans though. If you mean, can you upgrade TiVo "A", then transfer all of the recordings on TiVo "B" to the "new" TiVo "A", that would be a yes. But if you mean can you do the above and then put the new TiVo "A" drive in TiVo "B" I don't believe so as IIRC it would give you a hardware conflict message. I'm not clear about why you'd want to do that, but I hope that helps or maybe I misunderstood your question altogether...wouldn't be the first time. Happy upgrading!
Old 04-27-2010, 01:50 PM   #5700
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTaxpayer View Post
Thank you for your kindness Rich. I got the image and see it boots up the PC.

While the drive will technically work in either Tivo, when switching from one Tivo to the other, you will be required to do a Clear and Delete Everything since the Tivo will recognize that it came from a different unit (serial number??). That will defeat your ability to move recording around.
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote