TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > TiVo Search Feedback - Beta Release (Archive)
TiVo Community

Forum Jump

Old 10-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #31
E94Allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by pquirk View Post
The criteria for related searches are incredibly loose. For example, when I searched for "The National Parks: America's Best Idea" and selected related items the following came up:

Bitter Moon - a contemporary drama about an American in Paris who falls in love with a young French woman...
Shadow of Fear: Harrison French's father-in-law is sick of footing the mortgage and his young wife is getting antsy....
Last Call: In a Sanyiago Chile apartment building a shady dealer and two American visitors await a phone call about a business transaction...
The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom (!)
The Brain Fitness Program (!)

This doesn't do us or the merchants any good.
They should add Exact Title as option for this situation.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #32
KateS

My top three requests would be: keyboard support for series 2/3/HD TiVos; the ability to search on episode titles; and the ability to do a blanket search, i.e. for all upcoming HD movies being broadcast. The thread started by bkdtv "How would you change TiVo Search" has a number of intriguing suggestions, most of which I wouldn't have thought of but which would be helpful in my heavily computerized, multi-TiVo household.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #33
steveu75

too slow to be usable...

Tivo beta search is too slow to be usable.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoPony View Post
A couple of additional notes -

The TiVo Search menus are all authored in high definition - they're designed to take advantage of the extra real estate HD screens afford. As a result the TiVo Search beta is only available to Series3 and TiVo HD DVR's. The Series2 DVR's cannot display high definition content, whether it's your favorite shows or the TiVo Search hi def menus.

TiVo Search also gains a lot of it's power via the TiVo Service. In order to use TiVo Search the service needs to be aware of some of the information on your box (for instance the items in your Now Playing List, or the thumb ratings you've given specific shows). As a result, you must have a privacy status of 'opt-in' to use TiVo Search. You can switch to opt-in status right on the box, you'll be prompted the first time you click on the TiVo Search menu item. If you choose not to change to opt-in you'll still have the original standard definition Swivel Search, but you won't be able to experience any of the shiny new features of TiVo Search. We don't use your personal information for any nefarious purposes, but TiVo Search does make use of that data up on our servers in providing you this feature.

And finally, TiVo Search is not compatible at this point with parental controls. If you're using parental controls you'll have to turn them off in order to access TiVo Search. There are some features within TiVo Search that allow the playback of programs, and without the ability to respect those parental control settings in this beta release we've chosen to err on the side of making them mutually exclusive. Otherwise we'd be offering a simple workaround to parental controls for those ingenious kids out there.

Cheers,
Pony

Old 04-25-2010, 07:36 AM   #34
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveu75 View Post
Tivo beta search is too slow to be usable.

Steve
Your feedback may have had (more) impact in January 2009 (or shortly after) when this thread was started than now, after the TiVo Search went "Live" in the Premiere.

In other words: day late, dollar short.

Plus we heard you the first two times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #35
nrc
Cracker Soul

I find it very usable now (though not ideal). It's my primary choice for searching in most cases.

I still really, really wish that they would add access to a data source that includes all programs instead of just what's currently available. That would be ideal for setting up wishlists for programs which are not yet available.

Additionally, Wish Lists should have an "alert" option that will alert you when a matching program becomes available through a paid source.

Not entirely square
Old 04-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #36
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrc View Post
I find it very usable now (though not ideal). It's my primary choice for searching in most cases.

I still really, really wish that they would add access to a data source that includes all programs instead of just what's currently available. That would be ideal for setting up wishlists for programs which are not yet available.

Additionally, Wish Lists should have an "alert" option that will alert you when a matching program becomes available through a paid source.
+1 on all counts!