TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #121
flyers

My S3 is operating "normally" with both the TA and the wireless USB adapter. One minor issue with the dropping of the next item in the TDL whenever the TiVo reboots, which is usually only when a new software update is released.

As for any BHN issues, you want to escalate the problem to the General Manager. I have found this to be extremely helpful in the past. They generally send their most experienced techs to resolve the issue.

http://tampabay.brighthouse.com/cont...ent_entry.aspx
flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:12 AM   #122
sbiller

Tuning Adapter experience not getting any better

I order two (2) TA's for my TiVo HD and S3 and had an appt. set up for this Wed between 8 and 10a. Around 9a I received a call from BHN dispatch saying the technician had to drive to Brandon to locate the TA and would be late. I waited until 11a and finally left my premises. I received a call from BHN at 1130. The technician was at my door but I had already left. I proceeded to reschedule for today between 2 and 4p. I just received a call from CableLink saying that the TAs are out of stock and wouldn't be in stock until next week.

I'm really looking forward to the day when I can 1) dump BHN for Verizon FIOS; 2) the TiVo gateway plan now mandated by the FCC is implemented.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:51 PM   #123
sbiller

I've had two calls from Bright House employees this afternoon. Without asking they scheduled a technician to install two BHN HD DVRs while I'm waiting on my Tuning Adapters. I told him and the next guy that called that I don't want their crappy DVR. They've been very polite, etc. They owe me a call to tell me when the back-ordered tuning adapter's are back in stock. I find it suspicious that they are out of stock.
Old 03-20-2010, 07:31 AM   #124
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Let me again say that MY tech insisted that I NOT get the TA, that it was a waste of time and money, and that all would be fine. As I recall, he said changes were coming (in March? April? May? ) and the TA would not be needed. It worried me yet I get virtually all the channels in South St Petersburg, Florida.

Nevertheless, I eagerly await arrival of Verizon FIOS!

Last edited by megory : 03-20-2010 at 01:31 PM. Reason: add virtually
megory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 12:04 PM   #125
sbiller

I'm in South Tampa. I'm not receiving many channels on either my TiVo HD or Series 3 including Fox Business HD, CNBC HD, etc. Why would they be offering a Tuning Adapter if they weren't already using SDV and probably will be using it more in the future?
Old 03-24-2010, 09:30 PM   #126
sbiller

Successful Tuning Adapter install in South Tampa

A fairly knowledgeable BHN employee showed up at my house this morning with two CISCO STA1520 TA's. About 45 minutes later and a quick phone call to his back end services guy, the TA's were synced up. My S3 recognized the TA pretty quickly after the BHN tech connected the USB cable. The TiVo HD didn't work at first. After I performed a restart, the acquiring channels screen appeared and the TA began functioning correctly.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #127
kbaynes

BHN TB has TAs and cards... if you're relentless

I have always had trouble with BHN and I guess who hasn't, right? Especially way up in Brooksville. A few months ago I did my own research and found that most of my issues centered around not having a Tuning Adapter. I was relentless in my calls and finally got a tech out with a TA about 2 months ago that with 2 cards gives dual recording capability. I did have to tell them what I needed before I got it though. I still get dropped channels for days at a time. I still get random pixelation usually during important moments of shows and rarely during commercials. It usually takes about 3 days for a tech to come out and say reboot the TA and then shrug his shoulders and say he doesn't know of anything else to try. I also get random hiccups on my cable modem.
I have been waiting to see Verizon Fios installation trucks.
kbaynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:49 PM   #128
Imagine77

I wish I discovered this forum earlier. I was flatly told by the tech guy that installed my m-card that i could not get some channels without the official BHN box. I just found out about tuning adapters. I had an appointment today but just got a call that the TA is out of stock. I rescheduled for wed.
Imagine77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:59 PM   #129
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Sigh. I wish I knew what channels you all get with a TA that I don't get. I wonder if I'm missing anything. Perhaps I don't get sports, otoh, I delete all sports stations <g> so this doesn't affect me. One thing I know I don't get is MSNBC HD. I don't need to watch that on HD, so it's not a big loss to me. More space on my TiVo!

But is there anything serious that I'm missing w/o the TA? Except that I wouldn't be able to MRV?
Old 03-30-2010, 10:18 PM   #130
Imagine77

for me, I cannot get most of the channels in the 1000. I get all the local channels in HD and some cable channels but no NBA TV and some others. I get FoxHD and MLB. Try flipping thru the channels
Old 03-31-2010, 05:56 PM   #131
Imagine77

Thanks to everyone on here. My TA came in today. I was able to guide the installer on what to do. At first it didnt work until i discovered the power on the TA wasnt on. duh. Took a while to figure that out. All works well now. Sweet!
Old 04-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #132
rainmkr

The next wave of fun is coming.. tomorrow the switch gets thrown and the 600-700 HD channels go poof to complete the migration to their new home on 1000+.

Tivos, cablecards, and tuning adapters are still very niche items unfortunately. Yes those of us who have owned a Tivo are very well versed in them but we are NOT the majority. Customer service reps have probably never touched one themselves. So can you imagine what it's like to troubleshoot or explain something you never use?

A lot of the "channel unavailable issues" were giving regular box users headaches as well during the initial SDV roll out as well.

Everything on the cable network now (outside of the tvs you just want standard analog channels on) need 2 way communication to use the majority of services on the network. I have avoided jumping to a TivoHD/Premiere mainly because I don't want to deal with an external device such as the adapter hogging another power outlet in my entertainment center.

Why can't Tivo get cisco to have these built in to the units off the shelf?
rainmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 06:47 PM   #133
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmkr View Post
The next wave of fun is coming.. tomorrow the switch gets thrown and the 600-700 HD channels go poof to complete the migration to their new home on 1000+.
I've already switched my TiVos to use the 1000+ range channels, hopefully the rest of my SPs make the transition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 07:47 PM   #134
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Thanks for the headsup!

So far I have had a couple of channel changes, that's all folks.

I'll hurry to change the 600 SPs to the 1000s. Or will TiVo do it for me. Maybe I'll wait to see!

I'm eager to see the differences in channels received by TA owners and non TAs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS Most of the HD SPs were already moved. I had many of the 1000-1500 unticked so I ticked them. I'll see if they change over automatically tonight!

This could be what my installer meant about not needing a TA. Or not.

Last edited by megory : 04-13-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Add information instead of extra post.
megory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:33 AM   #135
flyers

as long as you uncheck the 600-700 channels, and check the 1000+ channels, TiVo should record properly. However, until Tribune removes the 600-700 channels from the lineup, ur SP will still indicate it will record the 600-700 channel, but in my experience will record the channel you have checked as a channel you receive.
flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:58 AM   #136
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers View Post
as long as you uncheck the 600-700 channels, and check the 1000+ channels, TiVo should record properly. However, until Tribune removes the 600-700 channels from the lineup, ur SP will still indicate it will record the 600-700 channel, but in my experience will record the channel you have checked as a channel you receive.
Actually, I did absolutely nothing -- TiVo automatically changed it on most of my HD channels.

Some shows I record in Analog so I can multi-room-view (an advantage of NOT having the TA is I can MRV). Happily, those were left in analog.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:28 PM   #137
windracer
joined the 10k club

Grrr ... so the 600s and 700s are dark now, but Tribune hasn't updated yet so my SPs haven't been switched over to the 1000s yet.

And their selection of which channels in the 1000s are SDV and which aren't seems arbitrary. Now I can get ESPN2HD but not ESPNHD? Argh! I guess I might have to break down and finally get some TAs in here.

|
Old 04-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #138
rainmkr

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Grrr ... so the 600s and 700s are dark now, but Tribune hasn't updated yet so my SPs haven't been switched over to the 1000s yet.

And their selection of which channels in the 1000s are SDV and which aren't seems arbitrary. Now I can get ESPN2HD but not ESPNHD? Argh! I guess I might have to break down and finally get some TAs in here.
For better or worse by the end of the year I think everything HD will be on switched digital. It's the only way for cable to keep up with the SAT and FIOS companies additional programming while increasing their internet speed offerings as well.
rainmkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:49 PM   #139
windracer
joined the 10k club

Received a letter from Brighthouse today ...

Quote:
August 16, 2010
Dear windracer,

Bright House Networks would like to thank you for choosing us as your video service provider. We are writing to you as a valued customer in order to provide advance notice of important upcoming changes that affect your ability to access certain programming on unidirectional retail devices.

Bright House Networks is rolling out a new digital video delivery technology in your area known as Switched Digital Video ("SDV"). SDV is a robust bandwidth-management system that makes it possible for us to offer more digital video programming services than ever before, including new HD channels.

In order to launch even more new video services, we are migrating some existing services to the SDV system which is a bi-directional platform. Unfortunately, your unidirectional retail device does not support bi-directional programming delivered over the SDV system.

Please be advised, therefore, beginning on or after September 16, 2010, Bright House Networks will deliver the following packages on the SDV system and this programming will not be available on unidirectional retail devices until further notice:

Channel Name, Channel Number
Disney HD 1105
MLB HD 1141
Versus HD 1152
Travel Channel HD 1267
Palladia 1300
Bay News 9 Travel Weather Now 109
CNBC World 141
America's Auction Network 165
Art & Coin 162
Celebrity Shopping Network 161
Current TV 128
Ovation 106
MUN2 158 and 906
Lifetime Real Women 143
CBS College Sports 139 and 807
Centric 107
Fit TV 114

If you wish to receive the above services, you may contact Bright House Networks to obtain a digital set-top box or similar bi-directional device that is capable of supporting two-way communications with the SDV system.

You may continue to use your unidirectional retail device with your Bright House Networks provided CableCARD to receive video programming other than the programming delivered on the SDV system. Bright House Networks will notify you in advance of any other programming changes.

Please contact us at 1-866-976-EASY if you have any questions.
We thank you again for choosing Bright House Networks in Tampa Bay!
Still no channels I care about really, so I'm continuing to hold off on bothering with a TA.

|
Old 08-16-2010, 08:51 PM   #140
sbiller

Quote:
Received a letter from Brighthouse today ...

Still no channels I care about really, so I'm continuing to hold off on bothering with a TA.
Just received the letter as well. I have TA's on both my TiVo HD and S3. They are a little flaky but work about 99% of the time. I use them primarily to watch some of the HD news channels like MSNBC HD and CNBC HD.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #141
windracer
joined the 10k club

Were you able to get those installed yourself? Or does BHN require a stupid truck roll?

|
Old 08-16-2010, 09:18 PM   #142
sbiller

Quote:
Were you able to get those installed yourself? Or does BHN require a stupid truck roll?
It requires a truck roll just like the CC install. The guy they sent actually was pretty knowledgeable. A BHN employee.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:21 PM   #143
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Me Three

I got the identical letter in South Pinellas. I still just use the M card and no TA. There isn't any station on that list that I care about, so why bother. This means I can still transfer from one t'other.

I would like to get MSNBC, but wtf, I can get it on 41. And I can get all the PBS stations on the high stations. I'm fine.

Glad to know you all are fine too!!
Old 08-25-2010, 06:39 PM   #144
TiVoToo

New "HD Destination" Announced by BH CFL

Brighthouse Central Florida announced yesterday in a 1-page spread of the Orlando Sentinel that all HD channels will be moved into the 1000 range and re-organized into categories. During transition period from 8/26 - 10/26, HD channels will be carried on both their new and old location. After 10/26, the channels will only be able at new location. From the lineup published with the announcement, every HD channel is moving.
Great timing. Changeover right in the middle of the Fall TV season. If previous lineup changes have been any indication, it'll be while after changeover before TiVo catches up to the new channels. I expect havoc with my SP recordings.
I have 2 TiVo S3 with CableCards, but no TA. So maybe what I really ought to be worried about is how many of the HD channels I can still receive get moved to SDV during the transition. Guess I'll find out tomorrow.
TiVoToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #145
windracer
joined the 10k club

BHN has already done that over here in the Tampa Bay area. For a while we had the HD channels in the 600-700 range and the new 1000s. It seems to have stabilized now (fewer and far between channel lineup change messages on the TiVos). Now it seems they are pushing forward with the SDV channels.

I want to say that for the most part, the TiVo handled the changes smoothly and adjusted the SPs accordingly.

|
Old 10-18-2010, 07:09 PM   #146
sbiller

BHN TA Adapter Stability Improving?

Has anyone else noticed an improvement in stability in their TA's lately? I haven't had to perform a single reboot nor have I missed an SDV access in about a week.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:40 PM   #147
bellino13

Yes, I've noticed a slight improvement over the last week or so here in Brandon, though I did need a reboot of the tuning adapter and TiVo Sunday evening. I was watching a couple of different shows and things went blank after having changed channels back and forth a couple times. My tuning adapter is running the .0801 firmware and the TiVo has 11.0h.

The people at Brighthouse are extremely under-informed about these tuning adapters. I had a sales manager telling me last night that they don't provide them and that I had to buy my own!
bellino13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #148
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellino13 View Post
Yes, I've noticed a slight improvement over the last week or so here in Brandon, though I did need a reboot of the tuning adapter and TiVo Sunday evening. I was watching a couple of different shows and things went blank after having changed channels back and forth a couple times. My tuning adapter is running the .0801 firmware and the TiVo has 11.0h.

The people at Brighthouse are extremely under-informed about these tuning adapters. I had a sales manager telling me last night that they don't provide them and that I had to buy my own!
STA1.0.0_1520_LR-F.0801 flash as well.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:36 AM   #149
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

OT: Do your BH programs cut off early?

So many of my programs--especially cable shows--tend to start late and end late. So, if I want to see the last minute of most shows, I must change the settings, show-by-show to stop one minute later.

I don't know if it's just in my area or if it's all of Florida BHN.

Does this happen to you? If so, how do you handle it?

Is there an across-the-board adjustment to defaults that I could make? I'd like all programs to start 1 minute late and end 1 minute late.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:42 PM   #150
bellino13

Well, I finally got BH to come with a new tuning adapter a few weeks ago, though it still had the same firmware that my old one had, .0801. After a couple hours of hopeful TV watching, all my channels went blank again, twice. Fed up, I signed up for Verizon FiOS the next week. Oddly enough, during the 2-3 week period between when I signed up and when the tech was supposed to come get me installed, the tuning adapter worked flawlessly and made me seriously consider not switching. In the end we did get rid of BH and the tuning adapter and are now enjoying FiOS with just a multistream cable card in the TiVo (no tuning adapter). No more Fox Soccer Plus HD, but no more worries either.
bellino13 is offline   Reply With Quote