TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 04-04-2010, 01:53 PM   #7321
riekl

In the 3 hours the tech was working on it did he call dispatch to have them sync the card ? Additional if you aren't seeing a cablecard association, you have a bad card. My guess is the tech brought a S card which will not even be recognized by a premier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothaggis View Post
I have a new TiVO Premiere and the tech failed to get it to work yesterday...was out here for 3 hours.

I've been following this guide: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...hecableheadend

looks like the connection to the cable headend is fine - if i check the network setup screen, the value of 'messages' increases when i exit and come back to it.

Additionally, when I go to the DVR Diagnostic menu, it shows Signal Lock: Yes. I am asusming this means the same thing as OOB Signal Lock. Also on this page it says "CableCARD Association: None" - should that be something different?

However, when I look at the "Conditional Access" menu, it looks different than the one TiVO has on their site for my Motorola M-CARD (https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...Activ_auth.pdf)

Mine only has 3 lines...it displays the Unit Address

Encryption is set to DES
Con:No EBCP:Yes Val:? 0x00

According to that TiVO page, it seems that Con should be set to use and this page should also possibly display more information. Since it appears the DVR is communicating over OOB, TiVO suggests that the card is not activated...which goes back to probably incorrect setup of my account or something along those lines. Any other ideas?

riekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 02:26 PM   #7322
gothaggis

it's an M-card for sure (says so on it), he brought 2 brand new ones, just in case one was bad (he said he hasn't seen any new bad cards in awhile..he had just come from a successful premiere setup).

Yeah, he was on the phone with activation (well, in my city they require them to text everything to save on phone charges...so stupid but at least they can verify the numbers are entered correctly). They sent the 'hit' over the line..and the people on the other end (not the tech at my house) said everything looked good on their end.
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:22 PM   #7323
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
I have a new TiVO Premiere and the tech failed to get it to work yesterday...was out here for 3 hours.
So are they sending another tech out? Sounds like everything is fine with your TiVo, just the card you have never got the activation signal. Did the tech work for Comcast or was he a contractor? Contractors are very bad at leaving without finishing the job.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #7324
gothaggis

he worked for comcast. he was sent out because i had a bad experience the day before with a tech not showing up at all, and the local office flat out telling me a lie that he was running a bit late and had to turn around and get some m-cards because he only had 'bad' ones. 3 hours after scheduled call, still no call from comcast....

anyway, he told me to wait until monday because the good IT techs at the office won't be in until then (have the weekends off) - that the people in on the weekends don't know what they are doing half the time and don't have much experience with cable cards. he left the cable card with me and should be contacting me tomorrow. I just don't want to have to take off of work yet again.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:44 AM   #7325
tazzmission

Anyone have a number at Comcast that I can call about M Cards for my area? From what I was told Comcast does not want to "buy" Scientific Atlanta M-cards because they use Motorola. I live in an area that Comcast took over from Adelphia. I can only get S Cards of which I have 4 already for my two series 3 boxes. I am being told that I can't get an M Card becasue they "simply do not have them" and "will not be buying any" and "they don't work in your area anyway" I say BS, if an S Card works, why would an M Card not work as well??? I am about to call Comcast and tell them I am canceling my service if they don't provide me with an M card. But I don't think they will really care. If I could speak to someone at Comcast that actully knows what they are talking about I might have better luck.

Last edited by tazzmission : 04-05-2010 at 01:07 PM.
tazzmission is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #7326
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazzmission View Post
Anyone have a number at Comcast that I can call about M Cards for my area? From what I was told Comcast does not want to "buy" Scientific Atlanta M-cards because they use Motorola. I live in an area that Comcast took over from Adelphia. I can only get S Cards of which I have 4 already for my two series 3 boxes. I am being told that I can't get an M Card becasue they "simply do not have them" and "will not be buying any" and "they don'
t work in yoru area anyway" I say BS, if an S Card works, why would an M Card not work as well??? I am about to call Comcast and tell them I am canceling my service if they don't provide me with an M card. But I don't think they will really care. If i could speak to someone at Comcast that actully knows what they are talking about I might have better luck.
Email all that backstory to We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #7327
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Anyone have a number at Comcast that I can call about M Cards for my area? From what I was told Comcast does not want to "buy" Scientific Atlanta M-cards because they use Motorola. I live in an area that Comcast took over from Adelphia. I can only get S Cards of which I have 4 already for my two series 3 boxes. I am being told that I can't get an M Card becasue they "simply do not have them" and "will not be buying any" and "they don'
t work in yoru area anyway" I say BS, if an S Card works, why would an M Card not work as well??? I am about to call Comcast and tell them I am canceling my service if they don't provide me with an M card. But I don't think they will really care. If i could speak to someone at Comcast that actully knows what they are talking about I might have better luck.
Contact the Comcast Cares group.

We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com
https://twitter.com/comcastcares

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 AM   #7328
tazzmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I did this on Twitter a while back & it was a joke. I'll try again though.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #7329
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Send an email with details.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:03 AM   #7330
tazzmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Send an email with details.
Just did, will see how it goes.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:21 AM   #7331
Mystii

Quote:
I've contacted them via Twitter a couple of times and have been very pleased with the response I've gotten. They are trying to make things work a bit better.

We have a lot of Comcast services, so I tend to get very gripy when things don't go right. When Customer Service gives me non-answers, as they often do, I send a tweet out and really have been happy with the response.

When you tweet, do you direct it to Frank or someone in the comcast cares group or do you try just sending it out?

I currently have a Tivo Series 3 HD (working beautifully and even the install went very well) and a Series II not dual tuning well since they started the whole digital thing. That's annoying but I guess it's going to force us to upgrade this other TV to HD and change out the Tivo too *sigh*
Mystii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 PM   #7332
tazzmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystii View Post
I've contacted them via Twitter a couple of times and have been very pleased with the response I've gotten. They are trying to make things work a bit better.

We have a lot of Comcast services, so I tend to get very gripy when things don't go right. When Customer Service gives me non-answers, as they often do, I send a tweet out and really have been happy with the response.

When you tweet, do you direct it to Frank or someone in the comcast cares group or do you try just sending it out?

I currently have a Tivo Series 3 HD (working beautifully and even the install went very well) and a Series II not dual tuning well since they started the whole digital thing. That's annoying but I guess it's going to force us to upgrade this other TV to HD and change out the Tivo too *sigh*
Sent it to the general Twitter account. Was contacted by ComcastGeorge, ComcastBill & ComcastBonnie, and none of them ever gave me any help.

UPDATE: I just got an email back from Comcast City Desk [City_Desk@cable.comcast.com] asking me for account information.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:57 PM   #7333
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
I am being told that I can't get an M Card becasue they "simply do not have them" and "will not be buying any" and "they don't work in yoru area anyway" I say BS, if an S Card works, why would an M Card not work as well?
All three are valid reasons. If #1 and #2 are actually true, I don't know what you expect to gain by threatening to cancel your service. If they don't have one to give you, they're not going to give you one.

Also, it's possible that Adelphia's headend equipment can't talk to Moto's M-Cards. I don't know enough about cable equipment to know if this is true or not. You should probably search around here and over at AVS to see.
Old 04-05-2010, 01:05 PM   #7334
tazzmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
All three are valid reasons. If #1 and #2 are actually true, I don't know what you expect to gain by threatening to cancel your service. If they don't have one to give you, they're not going to give you one.

Also, it's possible that Adelphia's headend equipment can't talk to Moto's M-Cards. I don't know enough about cable equipment to know if this is true or not. You should probably search around here and over at AVS to see.
Well, the FCC will tell you that they HAVE to provide the M-Card. I pay Comcast enough money each month for them to do whatever it takes to retain me as a customer.

Now, if they do that remains to be seen.

I understand that the Motorola M-Card will not work due to head-end compatibility, but Scientific Atlanta does make M-Cards and Comcast SHOULD provide them to customers that need them.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #7335
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Well, the FCC will tell you that they HAVE to provide the M-Card. I pay Comcast enough money each month for them to do whatever it takes to retain me as a customer.
Source? If that's true then they need to lower my rates in order to retain me.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:03 PM   #7336
tazzmission

Quote:
Source? If that's true then they need to lower my rates in order to retain me.
Comcast has lowered my rates several times to retain me. Just call and ask. I moved to satellite a few times to get better pricing. Came back to Comcast because DirecTV stopped using TiVo.

I know there is a new DirecTiVo coming and I am very interested to see it.

The FCC does require cable companies to provide both S & M-Cards if that is what the customer requires to use the equipment they choose.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #7337
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
The FCC does require cable companies to provide both S & M-Cards if that is what the customer requires to use the equipment they choose.
You stated you have 2 S-Cards in your TiVos now, so your equipment does not require M-Cards, so they are not required to provide them.
I don't think this is something the retentions department can help with. They pretty much only do billing.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:06 PM   #7338
Ron C

I just had a comcast installer here for an M-card install for my new Premiere. He had a Motorola M card. He had some communication problems with the office and finally got someone who knew what he was doing (supposedly). The installer left after an hour and 2 hours later, the card still did not have the channel line-up downloaded. I called him and he will return tomorrow with 2 cards and will try the install again. I live in Fall River, MA. Is there a problem with the Motorola card being compatible with TIVO.
Ron C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #7339
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C View Post
Is there a problem with the Motorola card being compatible with TiVo?
Nope, it should work fine, as myself and hundreds (thousands?) of others use Moto M-Cards with their TiVo DVRs.

Was your TiVo able to tune to all of the channels you pay for? If so, then the card is working fine and you probably don't have the correct lineup selected on the TiVo. TiVo Central --> Messages and Settings --> Settings --> Channels --> Channel List. If that's not your lineup, press Enter. It might not be a bad idea to run through this again (if you're receiving channels correctly) because it will force the TiVo to load the most current lineup and guide information.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:15 PM   #7340
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron C View Post
I just had a comcast installer here for an M-card install for my new Premiere. He had a Motorola M card. He had some communication problems with the office and finally got someone who knew what he was doing (supposedly). The installer left after an hour and 2 hours later, the card still did not have the channel line-up downloaded. I called him and he will return tomorrow with 2 cards and will try the install again. I live in Fall River, MA. Is there a problem with the Motorola card being compatible with TIVO.
If he was an experienced INSTALLER he would have come with more
than one M-Card - the M-Cards are better than the old S-card but not
by that much.

If you read the manual and TiVo website instructions, you should have
your TiVo up and running days ahead of any Cable Card Install.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:43 PM   #7341
b_scott
TiVo Fan

FYI, make sure you give them the Host ID and the Cable Card S/N.

The Host ID will change with each Tivo/slot combo, even in the same system (HD). Every time it's put in a new slot it re-calculates a unique ID. That was my issue, twice. Host ID is the key.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:54 PM   #7342
gothaggis

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
FYI, make sure you give them the Host ID and the Cable Card S/N.

The Host ID will change with each Tivo/slot combo, even in the same system (HD). Every time it's put in a new slot it re-calculates a unique ID. That was my issue, twice. Host ID is the key.
Are you saying if I put in an m card into my TiVo, look at the host I'd, then remove it and put it back in again, there will be a new host Id?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #7343
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Are you saying if I put in an m card into my TiVo, look at the host I'd, then remove it and put it back in again, there will be a new host Id?
Shouldn't be; that defeats the purpose of having a Host ID. Like a MAC address, Host IDs should be unique to each device.

That definitely was not the case for me. I popped the card in and out and the Host ID never changed. Would've been nice if it did since that Host ID was assigned to someone else's account, which prevented me from activating my card.
Old 04-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #7344
cjv2

Quote:
That's what he's saying, yes. There is some convo about it a bit earlier in the thread and the observations about it were surprising to many of us, but quite clear.

Now, in the case of my TivoHD, I have removed S-Cards and put them back without prompting a Host ID change. But when I did the removal, I got a warning message asking if the removal was intentional, and I put the card right back into its original slot without clearing the warning. Maybe that explains the diff between my experience and b_scott's. Either that or this issue is unique to M-Cards.
Old 04-05-2010, 05:13 PM   #7345
drhankz

Quote:
since that Host ID was assigned to someone else's account, which prevented me from activating my card.
In THEORY the HOST ID should never come up on some other account.
It is suppose to be UNIQUE. It is made that way so you CAN NOT
take an activated CableCard out of one box and stick it in another box
and have the account work in that other box.

However - Typo's HAPPEN all the time - that is the biggest problem
MSO's have in getting CableCards to work correctly.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 05:15 PM   #7346
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
In THEORY the HOST ID should never come up on some other account. It is suppose to be UNIQUE. It is made that way so you CAN NOT take an activated CableCard out of one box and stick it in another box and have the account work in that other box.

However - Typo's HAPPEN all the time - that is the biggest problem MSO's have in getting CableCards to work correctly.
I bought my TiVo used. The previous owner must've used a CableCARD.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:08 PM   #7347
gothaggis

found out my problem (thanks to TiVO support) - turns out since my cablecard shows Con:No on the Conditional Access menu, it means the card isn't activated at the head end. When I told the comcast tech that came out tonight (4th tech in 3 days) he knew exactly what that meant and they are contacting the headend tomorrow to activate it. crazy stuff.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:53 PM   #7348
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
only if you have an HD or S3, and put it in another slot. Each time it gets put into a new slot, it changes. Then put it back in the first slot and it'll be different. Once I had to do that because the ID was already taken.

It calculates it when it's put into a new slot.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #7349
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
It calculates it when it's put into a new slot.
Ok, I never tested that. Makes some sense.
Old 04-05-2010, 08:59 PM   #7350
b_scott
TiVo Fan

there are other static numbers, like the serial number and I think the Cablecard ID. But the HOST ID is volitle.