Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #121
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
I did not.
Is there still a remote address listing that can be changed on the system info screen? I thought I read there used to be a key press you could do on the series 1 remote to switch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #122
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Is there still a remote address listing that can be changed on the system info screen?
Yes, there is. I just don't know how to do it with the TiVo Premiere remote.

Older TiVo remotes are compatible, but they don't have the new colored buttons.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:19 PM   #123
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
... As far as I can tell, the "Video Provider" selection is no longer available in the current software. I don't think it was actually functional in the older software, and I'm guessing that wasn't implemented for release. You can turn off Amazon, Netflix, etc content in search, but it still shows up through the Browse TV category selections. ...
Thanks for checking. The search result screen is a deal breaker for me as I am not interested in all of the results that TiVo returns. It just makes the search results harder to read - again, IMO. It should be selectable by service.

Speed, and search results, have combined to make me pass on the current implementation.

Does the "video preview" in the guide still have the option to disable it?

EDIT: For clarity (on my end ): When the "Guide" button is pressed, you currently get the classic guide that will be eventually upgraded to an HD version. Correct? If yes, does this this guide show only TV results?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #124
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
Thanks for checking. The search result screen is a deal breaker for me as I am not interested in all of the results that TiVo returns. It just makes the search results harder to read - again, IMO. It should be selectable by service.
Just to reiterate, the TiVo Search results are customizable. Mine is set to TV-only right now.

It's the "Browse TV" categories (Top Shows, New this week, etc) that aren't customizable.

Quote:
EDIT: For clarity (on my end ): When the "Guide" button is pressed, you currently get the classic guide that will be eventually upgraded to an HD version. Correct? If yes, does this this guide show only TV results?
Yes and yes. There are no changes to the EPG in the initial HDUI release. TiVo says that is in the works for future software update.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:28 AM   #125
bkdtv

Quote:
I wanted to correct my previous post.

The Video Provider setting is still there under Channel Settings. For some reason, I didn't see it before. A software update also reset the provider settings to the defaults.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #126
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I wanted to correct my previous post.

The Video Provider setting is still there under Channel Settings. For some reason, I didn't see it before. A software update also reset the provider settings to the defaults.
Thanks for the update.

If you change the Video Provider settings to "none" do the search results speed up - excluding graphics in the advertising bar at the top of the screen?

Can you select results, from a search, before the graphics load?
Old 03-27-2010, 05:35 AM   #127
bkdtv

Quote:
If you change the Video Provider settings to "none" do the search results speed up - excluding graphics in the advertising bar at the top of the screen?
The bar at the top of the screen (no ads in it) always loads images. The video provider settings simply change what images you get. Images are only displayed for programs you can actually receive (per your video provider settings and channel lineup). In search, the images displayed at the top are for programs similar to the one selected.

Quote:
Can you select results, from a search, before the graphics load?
Yes. It's not like the current HME beta search on existing TiVos where the remote is often unresponsive while images load. With the Premiere, the remote is responsive before and during image load, and you can navigate to another screen before they load.

The search functionality is actually quite a bit different than the TiVo Search on the TiVo HD and Series3. I suspect TiVo Search on existing boxes was based on a very early version of what the Premiere offers.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #128
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
The bar at the top of the screen (no ads in it)...
As an aside: I have seen that there are no product ads in it yet, but I think it's fair to assume that there will be. Additionally, I believe that the "suggestions" will not only be made up of popular choices... paid "suggestions' will have better placement in the bar. I figure it was designed to be a money maker for TiVo, so that's why I call it an "Advertising Bar"

Quote:
The video provider settings simply change what images you get. Images are only displayed for programs you can actually receive (per your video provider settings and channel lineup). In search, the images displayed at the top are for programs similar to the one selected.
Okay. This makes sense, but one more question: If I subscribe to Netflix, can I still disable the bar from showing Nexflix results?

Quote:
Yes. It's not like the current HME beta search on existing TiVos where the remote is often unresponsive while images load. With the Premiere, the remote is responsive before and during image load, and you can navigate to another screen before they load.
This is good news. If I decide to buy a new box, but unfortunately, it will kill the visual "experience" of the new interface, as it will probably never load before I have selected, and moved on to my next choice.

Quote:
The search functionality is actually quite a bit different than the TiVo Search on the TiVo HD and Series3. I suspect TiVo Search on existing boxes was based on a very early version of what the Premiere offers.
Again. Good to hear.
Old 03-27-2010, 06:16 AM   #129
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

I don't recall seeing positive confirmation on this, so I will ask...

Can the "Live Preview" in the upper right corner of search and / or the guide, be disabled.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #130
jfh3

Quote:
I don't recall seeing positive confirmation on this, so I will ask...

Can the "Live Preview" in the upper right corner of search and / or the guide, be disabled.
Yes.
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #131
bkdtv

Quote:
That's answered in the first post. You toggle the "live preview" on and off by pressing the SLO MO button (will re-enable automatically after a period of inactivity) or you can disable it permanently through settings.

It is my intention to post videos showing all of these features in the next week.

Quote:
As an aside: I have seen that there are no product ads in it yet, but I think it's fair to assume that there will be. Additionally, I believe that the "suggestions" will not only be made up of popular choices... paid "suggestions' will have better placement in the bar. I figure it was designed to be a money maker for TiVo, so that's why I call it an "Advertising Bar"
TiVo suggested to some reviewers that one spot might be used for advertising. Through Settings -> Improve Discovery Bar Recommendations, the user can customize the type of recommendations displayed, including more or less of: what's new, what's popular, TV, movies, sports, only rent or buy, suggestions, and partner recommendations.

Quote:
Okay. This makes sense, but one more question: If I subscribe to Netflix, can I still disable the bar from showing Nexflix results?
The only way to completely eliminate Netflix results from the Discovery Bar is to uncheck Netflix under Channels -> Video Provider List. However, if you do that, Netflix results won't appear in Search or the Browse TV selections. The Netflix queue folder is available regardless.
Old 03-28-2010, 10:07 PM   #132
ericlhyman

Question External Hard Drives for Premiere XL

Is 1 TB the maximum external hard drive size that can be used?

Am I limited to Western Digital My DVR external hard drives or can I use others such as Seagate Free Agent Pro, Western Digital My Book Studio II - 2 TB, or LaCie 2 TB D2 Quadra?
ericlhyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 PM   #133
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman View Post
Is 1 TB the maximum external hard drive size that can be used?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericlhyman View Post
Am I limited to Western Digital My DVR external hard drives
Yes. The supported drives are the same as the TiVo HD (i.e. 1TB My DVR Expander).
Old 03-29-2010, 10:02 PM   #134
gconnery

As the owner of a couple of MoCA linked Tivo HD units, I'd really like to know if switching ONE of them to a Premiere would improve my MRV transfer speeds. From the posts I've seen so far it sounds like the answer is that HD to Premiere transfers would NOT be any faster, but Premiere to HD transfers *might* be. bkdtv has suggested that these would be not suprisingly limited by the HD transfer rates, meaning 16-29Mbps according to his testing. Since I *often* have issues transferring HD shows (probably ~15Mbps or so in most cases on Comcast) from one box to the other at rate, I'm guessing I'm getting that 16Mbps rate more often than not. So the question still is... what will a real user experience here? I'd really like the transfers to be enough faster than real time that I can relatively quickly skip a two minute block of commercials, meaning I really want something approaching 30Mbps...
gconnery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #135
Test

I asked this in another thread, but I guess this is a better place for it. What is that blue ball in front of all the recordings/downloads in "My Shows" ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv
Programs not yet viewed are listed in white, while programs viewed in their entirety are listed in blue.

Old 04-03-2010, 01:01 PM   #136
danjw1

Do the menu hot keys still work?

Like pressing the '1' button to get to the Season Pass Manager, and '2' to get to the To Do List?
danjw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #137
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Test View Post
I asked this in another thread, but I guess this is a better place for it. What is that blue ball in front of all the recordings/downloads in "My Shows" ?

No idea. Every show in my list has a blue ball(or green), even if I have not viewed it. Although I do see the "Do Not Delete" shows have a green ball next to it.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #138
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

I am very, VERY disappointed with the specs/features of the Premiere. Of the 5 primary things I have wanted/needed and have been waiting for, it fails to address four of them:

1) It still has no way to save preferences, settings, stations, season passes, etc to an external flash device so they are not lost if you have to repair/replace your TiVo or upgrade to a new model.

2) It has no support for SDV.

3) Menus are not faster (yet, anyway)

4) Still no native support for streaming additional video formats without re-encoding (like h264+AC3+avi)

The only advantage (for me) it would have over my TiVo HD is faster networking. I have been using TiVo's forever (series 1, 2, DircTiVo HD, TiVo-HD) and the future does not look bright to me now.

I suppose they could add 3 of the 4 items, above, through software updates... but I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for TiVo to fix the "group is empty" bug in the HD that annoys me every day. There have never been a solution, so I don't have great confidence in "updates" right now.

Last edited by crxssi : 04-04-2010 at 11:34 PM.
crxssi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 01:51 AM   #139
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by crxssi View Post
I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for TiVo to fix the "group is empty" bug in the HD that annoys me every day. There have never been a solution, so I don't have great confidence in "updates" right now.
You make some good points about failings in the Premiere. But you're complaining about the "group is empty" bug? Really?

If you search my postings you'll see that I frequently complain about a myriad of bugs with the boxes and with how TiVo doesn't respond to them in a timely fashion (if ever). But your last bug is just too insignificant, even for a nit-picker like me. I think "TiVo has bigger fish to fry."
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 02:15 AM   #140
tivogurl

Quote:
1) It still has no way to save preferences, settings, stations, season passes, etc to an external flash device so they are not lost if you have to repair/replace your TiVo or upgrade to a new model.
I'd settle for automated migration of settings from an old TiVo to a new one.

Last edited by tivogurl : 04-05-2010 at 12:37 PM.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #141
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
You make some good points about failings in the Premiere. But you're complaining about the "group is empty" bug? Really?

If you search my postings you'll see that I frequently complain about a myriad of bugs with the boxes and with how TiVo doesn't respond to them in a timely fashion (if ever). But your last bug is just too insignificant, even for a nit-picker like me. I think "TiVo has bigger fish to fry."
What is the group is Empty bug? I've never noticed it?
Old 04-05-2010, 04:39 AM   #142
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I am very, VERY disappointed with the specs/features of the Premiere. Of the 5 primary things I have wanted/needed and have been waiting for, it fails to address four of them:

2) It has no support for SDV.

3) Menus are not faster (yet, anyway)

4) Still no native support for streaming additional video formats without re-encoding (like h264+AC3+avi)

The only advantage (for me) it would have over my TiVo HD is faster networking. I have been using TiVo's forever (series 1, 2, DircTiVo HD, TiVo-HD) and the future does not look bright to me now.

I suppose they could add 3 of the 4 items, above, through software updates... but I have been waiting and waiting and waiting for TiVo to fix the "group is empty" bug in the HD that annoys me every day. There have never been a solution, so I don't have great confidence in "updates" right now.
All my Premieres are noticeably faster than my S3/TiVoHD units. So cross number three off.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 AM   #143
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post

OK, I agree with what you are saying. There are more important/serious bugs. But the "empty group" one annoys me EVERY SINGLE DAY. The other bugs (for me at least) are much less frequent (like screwed up video when transitioning to/from video/menus, and the cable card lockout message- those are the other two that seem fairly regular).

I mean, seriously, TiVo can't fix HD bugs that have been around for YEARS, but will put out a new, incomplete, and feature-lacking box and claim they will upgrade its software? I guess all us HD owners can now kiss all hope of OUR bugs being fixed.

I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY that they still have no way to save *hours* worth of settings. That, alone, is enough to make me not want to upgrade! Even my CELL PHONE allows me to save my settings to a card. It is 2010, and they expect us to write everything down on paper and reenter everything and still lose all our ratings forever

Last edited by crxssi : 04-05-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:34 AM   #144
crxssi
Veteran TiVo User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
What is the group is Empty bug? I've never noticed it?
You go into a group (like suggestions) and start deleting some stuff. Poof! "This group is empty and no longer needed" and you get booted to the menu above, then have to go back into the group yet again. Sometimes I have to go through that two or three times A DAY.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #145
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
You go into a group (like suggestions) and start deleting some stuff. Poof! "This group is empty and no longer needed" and you get booted to the menu above, then have to go back into the group yet again. Sometimes I have to go through that two or three times A DAY.
Yep, another candidate for multi-processing. Let the UI chew on X number of deletes with one core while the second core works on more deletes the user requests, or keep one core maintaining the presentable UI while the second core works on deletes.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:59 AM   #146
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I've never had that happen. I have deleted items and it appears that they are all gone, but after a few seconds the rest pop back up. But it's never kicked me out of that screen unless I hit left to exit out by mistake without waiting.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:01 AM   #147
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
OK, I agree with what you are saying. There are more important/serious bugs. But the "empty group" one annoys me EVERY SINGLE DAY. The other bugs (for me at least) are much less frequent (like screwed up video when transitioning to/from video/menus, and the cable card lockout message- those are the other two that seem fairly regular).

I mean, seriously, TiVo can't fix HD bugs that have been around for YEARS, but will put out a new, incomplete, and feature-lacking box and claim they will upgrade its software? I guess all us HD owners can now kiss all hope of OUR bugs being fixed.

I am absolutely BLOWN AWAY that they still have no way to save *hours* worth of settings. That, alone, is enough to make me not want to upgrade! Even my CELL PHONE allows me to save my settings to a card. It is 2010, and they expect us to write everything down on paper and reenter everything
Why would you spend all that time writing it down when you can take a few pics and have them printed out in a fraction of the time?

It's much easier and faster to take a picture and print it out then to write everything down.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:15 AM   #148
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

I've not seen this:
Quote:
But I have experienced this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
...I have deleted items and it appears that they are all gone, but after a few seconds the rest pop back up. But it's never kicked me out of that screen unless I hit left to exit out by mistake without waiting.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #149
innocentfreak

Is there any reason you know that the HDUI doesn't display letterboxed on a SD set instead of the way it does now? I would love to play with the new ui but no HD set yet. I guess I just don't get why it does't display like all other HD content .

Old 04-05-2010, 10:55 AM   #150
innocentfreak

Is there any reason you know that the HDUI doesn't display letterboxed on a SD set instead of the way it does now? I would love to play with the new ui but no HD set yet. I guess I just don't get why it does't display like all other HD content .