Forum Jump

Old 03-31-2010, 03:25 PM   #2071
mae

Don't get your hopes up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Looking forward to the new HD GUI!
Rich,

Don't have too high expectations. While mine is still indexing, the HDUI is VERRRY slow. In fact, on first boot, it wouldn't move off TiVo Central. Pulled the plug and rebooted. Still was crawling. Kept flipping back to old menus for some functions (see the new forum). Finally went to classic and it works great! The menus are really fast. Best Buy had an HD XL on clearance for $349 and I almost bought that, but figure as long as the old UI is there at fast, I can wait while they get it right. Besides I remember how development on old platforms stopped, so I figured I'd jump on the train early.

Mark
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:56 PM   #2072
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
Rich,

Don't have too high expectations. While mine is still indexing, the HDUI is VERRRY slow. In fact, on first boot, it wouldn't move off TiVo Central. Pulled the plug and rebooted. Still was crawling. Kept flipping back to old menus for some functions (see the new forum). Finally went to classic and it works great! The menus are really fast. Best Buy had an HD XL on clearance for $349 and I almost bought that, but figure as long as the old UI is there at fast, I can wait while they get it right. Besides I remember how development on old platforms stopped, so I figured I'd jump on the train early.

Mark
Yeah, I expect it'll be a little slower, particularly for the first few days while it's doing some housekeeping. Even after that I don't expect miracles...it is Flash based after all. The one thing I think I'll really appreciate is the "PIP" in the menus so I don't have to leave what I'm watching. The rest is eye candy of sorts, but will be fun to see. Hopefully it won't be too slow. Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #2073
Revolutionary
Too sleepy for TV...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
I had the same waltz with a CSR yesterday. Since I ordered and new Premier XL and I Wooted a S3 refurb, I figured I'd retire my 2 S2DT boxes. I currently have 4 'S' cards on my 2 THDs so let's do the math.

Keep 2 'S' cards for the S3. Check.

Order 3 'M' cards - 2 for my existing THDs and 1 for the new PXL The CSR can't guarantee 'M' cards but that's basically all they have anyway so, Check.

Return 2 'S' cards. Check.
Return 2 STBs. BS alert. A STB is required? Huh?

After a chat with a very nice and knowlegable girl at Fiber Solutions we came to the conclusion that the STB is a billing requirement, not a technical requirement. The CableCARDs will work just fine without a STB.

So that begs the question - if I return both STBs does that magically hose my account so the CableCARDS stop working?

I guess I'm asking other FIOS customers - Did you originally order CableCARDs and a STB and then return the box?
I think it is an initial order requirement. I also ordered online but didn't need the HD STB, so I called and updated the order. I nixed the HD STB and asked for 2 cable cards instead. We also have an S2, so I ordered the basic digital adapter for that. The girl on the phone didn't bat an eye, but when I checked the order later that day, it now showed 2 CCs and an HD STB.

The tech called me before he came out to verify my equipment order. He noticed that I had two cablecards, one basic adapter, and an STB on the order, and asked if that was right, because it looked like I only had 2 outlets. I said that all that should be on there was the cable cards and the basic adapter. He explained that they need to have at least one gateway device per outlet on the order or it will not process, which is why the STB was still there, but it was no problem for him to cancel it upon install. We'll see how it gets billed, but I have no STB after install.

I infer from this that their fulfillment system makes sure that each outlet you identify has a required device, but since you can't order cable cards online, those don't count.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:48 PM   #2074
mae

ugh!

Quote:
Yeah, I expect it'll be a little slower, particularly for the first few days while it's doing some housekeeping.
Rich,

Well, it hung again on the HD menus. Had to reboot. Called in, their only suggestion was to reboot, but opened a ticket. I'll let it do whatever and leave it in classic over night before trying again.

Mark
Old 03-31-2010, 05:26 PM   #2075
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

Well, it hung again on the HD menus. Had to reboot. Called in, their only suggestion was to reboot, but opened a ticket. I'll let it do whatever and leave it in classic over night before trying again.

Mark
Well, that's a little worrisome. Although there are only a few others here that have received their Premieres, I haven't seen anyone post anything unusual. Hopefully it just needs to get itself organized and things will be good.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:45 PM   #2076
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Thanks to all. I'll have the tech pick up the STBs along with the 2 space 'S' cards when he shows up.

Since my appointment is in the afternoon I'm betting this guy will be willing to trade beer for NIM-100s. My 2 previous techs were happy to drink and part with obsolete equipment. Mheh heh heh

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:46 PM   #2077
SoBayJake

They still carry NIM-100s? I might need them to bring me some additional CableCards if that's the case!

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:59 PM   #2078
mae

stop worrying - user error!

Quote:
Well, that's a little worrisome. Although there are only a few others here that have received their Premieres, I haven't seen anyone post anything unusual. Hopefully it just needs to get itself organized and things will be good.
Rich,

OK, problem was hitting the exit key on a Harmony set up for the HD. This is noted as causing the unit to hang on the impressions thread on the Premiere forum. Of course I found it there, but TiVo didn't know about the issue. Changed the exit key on the Harmony to Live TV and all is well. Strange it didn't hang in the classic interface though!

Mark
Old 03-31-2010, 06:01 PM   #2079
mae

NIM-100s

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Thanks to all. I'll have the tech pick up the STBs along with the 2 space 'S' cards when he shows up.

Since my appointment is in the afternoon I'm betting this guy will be willing to trade beer for NIM-100s.
Don't get your hopes up. When I was installed in March, 2009, I asked the tech if he had any on his truck (he had been installing FIOS since the rollout). He said he hadn't seen any around the garage for over a year.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:02 PM   #2080
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBayJake View Post
They still carry NIM-100s? I might need them to bring me some additional CableCards if that's the case!
They've been unnecessary since deployment of the newer routers (Actiontec and Westel) but apparently some still are kicking around on trucks.

Go figure - I'm always happy to help these guys clean out their trucks

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 07:22 PM   #2081
richsadams

Quote:
Rich,

OK, problem was hitting the exit key on a Harmony set up for the HD. This is noted as causing the unit to hang on the impressions thread on the Premiere forum. Of course I found it there, but TiVo didn't know about the issue. Changed the exit key on the Harmony to Live TV and all is well. Strange it didn't hang in the classic interface though!

Mark
Wow...that's very good to know. I use a Harmony as well and would have been upset if that happened to me...not to mention that the wife would have had a fit (she didn't think we needed "...another TiVo?!" anyway ). Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:56 PM   #2082
mae

Told TiVo

Quote:
Wow...that's very good to know. I use a Harmony as well and would have been upset if that happened to me...not to mention that the wife would have had a fit (she didn't think we needed "...another TiVo?!" anyway ). Thanks for the heads-up!
Rich,

I called back and sat on hold to let them know the resolution and close the case. I figure they have enough real bugs to squash. The CSR was very interested, took down the details and said he would enter it into their database. His theory was that the legacy code recognized the IR signal, while the new code had no idea what to do with it.

Of course, I'm sure plenty of folks have old peanuts sitting around (I bought a few on WOOT) and will have the same problem if they hit the exit key on that.

Glad I avoided the wife being annoyed. I found and fixed it before she got home!

Mark
Old 03-31-2010, 09:29 PM   #2083
richsadams

Quote:
Glad I avoided the wife being annoyed. I found and fixed it before she got home!
If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!
Old 04-16-2010, 07:47 PM   #2084
blackngold75

Another successful install!

Tech showed up this morning with the two cards I'd ordered: one for my TivoHD and one for my Premiere. About 30 minutes later, everything was working perfectly, and the CableCard installs went exactly as described in the instructions.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #2085
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post
Tech showed up this morning with the two cards I'd ordered: one for my TivoHD and one for my Premiere. About 30 minutes later, everything was working perfectly, and the CableCard installs went exactly as described in the instructions.
Sweet. Enjoy!
Old 04-19-2010, 11:56 AM   #2086
bma

Has anyone ever gotten M-Cards that are detected as S-Cards in the THD (not S3)?

I have gotten two cards now that act like this. It clearly says on it Motorola M-Card; TiVo's CC hotline said the first time I called that the card was likely faulty because the second number in "FW Version" was '-.-' (null), and the new card has the same setup. The FiOS tech said he's installed these cards in THDs fine before and are detected as M-Cards, so wondering if my THD is faulty... would be nice to only have to pay for one CC instead of two to get both tuners working.
bma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #2087
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
Has anyone ever gotten M-Cards that are detected as S-Cards in the THD (not S3)?
Yes, sort of.

On some (not all) of my TiVo HD boxes, when the card was first inserted the TiVo said something like "S-card detected". But about 5 or 10 seconds later the screen switched to "M-card detected". The other boxes detected the M-card immediately after it was inserted.

So clearly there is an algorithm that the TiVo is following that is perhaps not infallible.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #2088
DeWitt

On the Tivo HD an M card MUST be in slot one.
DeWitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:24 PM   #2089
bma

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWitt View Post
On the Tivo HD an M card MUST be in slot one.
Yes, it was in slot 1. It also never changed from "S-Card" (waited about 30 seconds). I'm going to try and snag a third card from them to try one more time; but am starting to suspect the TiVo and not the cards...
bma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 10:10 PM   #2090
hoyty

HDMI Audio dropout?

I have had FIOS for a few months. I only have a Series 3 and no Verizon STB. Recently my 5 year old 27" Westinghouse bit the dust and I swapped with a 4 year old one from spare bedroom. The orginial only had DVI + RCA and the new one has HDMI. Since the switch we are getting fairly regular sound drops on lots of channels. Anyone else experience this? I am thinking of switching back to analog audio to see if it fixes it since the Westinghouse is stereo only anyway.
hoyty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 03:32 PM   #2091
mayhews

Both Cable Cards Failed? Or Not.

I have a Series 3 HD with cable cards and Verizon Fios. They did the install over a year ago with no problems, and everything ran flawlessly until Monday night at 9:05, when there was suddenly no signal. ("Searching for signal on ..."). Tried the usual things, no joy.

Called tech support this morning and after 45 minutes the tech was able to do something that caused an error message (Error 161-4) on each of the cable cards, but could not get it working. He dispatched a tech who tested the cable, reconnected it and VOILA!, picture and sound. Of course, an hour later it was gone (and so was he).

Before I put myself through another day of tech support hell, is there anything other than the simultaneous failure of both cable cards that might cause this? Is it possible that one of them wasn't working for a while without my being aware of it?
mayhews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 PM   #2092
rage777

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhews View Post
I have a Series 3 HD with cable cards and Verizon Fios. They did the install over a year ago with no problems, and everything ran flawlessly until Monday night at 9:05, when there was suddenly no signal. ("Searching for signal on ..."). Tried the usual things, no joy.

Called tech support this morning and after 45 minutes the tech was able to do something that caused an error message (Error 161-4) on each of the cable cards, but could not get it working. He dispatched a tech who tested the cable, reconnected it and VOILA!, picture and sound. Of course, an hour later it was gone (and so was he).

Before I put myself through another day of tech support hell, is there anything other than the simultaneous failure of both cable cards that might cause this? Is it possible that one of them wasn't working for a while without my being aware of it?
I had a similar problem where my internet and cable went out. Called tech support and they fixed the problem. About 20 minutes later it went out again. Called back and they fixed the internet but had to do a truck roll for the cable. I then found out that my circuit breaker to the Fios backup battery popped. I put it back and then it worked fine. So, you might want to check the backup battery and see if you had a breaker pop.
rage777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #2093
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyty View Post
... HDMI. Since the switch we are getting fairly regular sound drops on lots of channels. Anyone else experience this?
Yeah. Try the Dolby Digital to PCM option.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM   #2094
3morgans

Verizon says Cable Cards are SD only?

I have a current FIOS install with two cablecards on a Series 3. Works perfectly.

I am moving to Philly and was setting up my new install and the CSR was trying to tell me that the cablecards are SD only. I am pretty sure this is not true, but just wanted to verify with anyone out there who has had a successful install in the Philly area. Anyone have any feedback?

I think I need to tell them to bring me a settop box (they can't remove from the order) and two cablecards and I should be good to go. I'll have the install tech remove the settop box from the order upon install.

-Eric
3morgans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:41 PM   #2095
blackngold75

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3morgans View Post
I have a current FIOS install with two cablecards on a Series 3. Works perfectly.

I am moving to Philly and was setting up my new install and the CSR was trying to tell me that the cablecards are SD only. I am pretty sure this is not true, but just wanted to verify with anyone out there who has had a successful install in the Philly area. Anyone have any feedback?
-Eric
I recently had two CableCards installed (1 for a TivoHD, 1 for a Premiere) in Northern DE (Philly VHO). Two things:
1. A set top box is not required, and after a brief "education" of the customer service rep they were able to remove that from the order.
2. The Tivo with CableCard gets ALL of the digital channels in your package, both SD and HD.
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #2096
zyzzx
Go Bucks!

Quote:
The CSR lied to you.
zyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 07:14 PM   #2097
richsadams

Quote:

I think I need to tell them to bring me a settop box (they can't remove from the order) and two cablecards and I should be good to go. I'll have the install tech remove the settop box from the order upon install.

-Eric
I don't know if the CSR was intentionally lying, but obviously misinformed. There's no such thing as an "SD Cable Card". You just need two "S" (single stream...which are pretty rare any more) or two "M" (multi-stream) cable cards and you'll be good to go.

Regarding the set top box, we had to do the same thing. Apparently their system won't generate a work order w/o a STB being included. The installer will understand that you don't need it and take it off of the work order.

Enjoy your new digs!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:29 PM   #2098
mae

Exclamation Verizon to use copy protection!

According to this thread on DSL Reports, VZ will be setting the CCI flag nationwide..

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r244...-Functionality

[TIVO] Upcoming changes will affect MRV Functionality

Verizon is planning on implementing copy-once on CableCARD recording devices and it looks like the TiVo multi-room viewing functionality in particular will be affected.

It has been already been implemented in OR and WA and is the start of a national deployment.

See this post in particular for the details:
»Re: Frontier FIOS TV: not even Frontier yet and already FAIL http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24453024-

And these two threads from the start:

»Frontier FIOS TV: not even Frontier yet and already FAIL

»Anyone in Oregon, Washington, or Indiana 6/7/10
Old 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #2099
zyzzx
Go Bucks!

No!
zyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:04 PM   #2100
aaronwt
HD Addict

So far this has only been in areas being converted to Frontier.
I have not heard of anyone outside of future Frontier areas having any issues yet. I know I have not seen anything in my area yet either.

Only time will tell if it's implemented. If it is, Oh well. I'll continue using my TiVos but just make sure I stick a larger drive in all my remaining boxes.

I just put a 2TB drive in one of my Premieres a couple of weeks ago. I'll just have to pick up some more from dvr_dude and go back to having duplicate recordings on multiple boxes. So I have access to everything at multiple locations. Which is how I did it before I had FiOS.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

Last edited by aaronwt : 06-29-2010 at 05:10 PM.
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote