TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-19-2010, 11:34 AM   #2041
hsuthard

I have been talking with the Fiber Solutions Center. This last call to Verizon just ended with them insisting everything on their end was fine. However, the cards still aren't receiving ANY signal. They're calling me back (after lunch, I assume) for further work; they plan to conference in a Tivo guy.

The tech I was working with insists he's run through a Validation with a Series 3 customer before; I can't find anywhere that there's any Validation option I can activate on the Tivo?

This isn't my first Tivo, or even my first Tivo Cablecard install. I've been doing this for years and it's never easy. I know that, and I think I've been very patient and accommodating. I'm using this place to vent a bit because this is JUST INSANE!!! I don't want to put any of the techs off, kwim?
hsuthard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:36 AM   #2042
hsuthard

And Mark, the whole reason I'm trying to get this working is so my son can use his new Slingbox and watch Tivo through his ipod Touch. I haven't even MENTIONED the slingbox to Verizon for fear of what they might say or do LOL. The first cablecard install we did with Verizon ended with no less than five Verizon installers meeting at our house and sitting in our theater room watching the setup and oohing over the box. I felt like maybe I was contributing a bit to the Tivo Knowledge Base at the local Fios center.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:39 AM   #2043
pilotbob

I thought that correct way to set up cable cards was to follow the cablecard set up directions?

http://www.tivo.com/assets/pdfs/Cabl...all_TiVoHD.pdf

You certainly didn't follow them.

For example...

you run guided setup FIRST before installing any cable cards.

then with the unit ON you insert the first cable card, wait for the config screen to come up....

then after that is working you insert the second...

then you run guided setup again.

I've gotta say... the steps you said you followed sound NOTHING like this.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:42 AM   #2044
hsuthard

Bob, do you think running the guided setup with the cablecards inserted have caused my problems?

If so, then what should I do next?

I will point out that not a single Tivo or Verizon tech has mentioned this to me, nor was it stated in the sheet that came with my box to follow any specific instructions . . . I turned to this thread after running the setup and a couple of tech support calls . . .

Last edited by hsuthard : 03-19-2010 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Edited to add more Info
Old 03-19-2010, 11:44 AM   #2045
pilotbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsuthard View Post
Bob, do you think running the guided setup with the cablecards inserted have caused my problems?
I think it is fully worth following the steps as defined in the setup guide.

If those cableCards were working in the other series 3 then how can they be bad and how can they not be activated? It doesn't make sense.

Seems it's worth a try... but I can't guarantee success because as someone else said, you called Verizon and who knows when they screwed up on your account.

BOb
Old 03-19-2010, 11:45 AM   #2046
hsuthard

OK, I'm re-running the guided setup without any cards inserted and we'll go from there.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #2047
pilotbob

Quote:
OK, I'm re-running the guided setup without any cards inserted and we'll go from there.
Good luck... I hope you can get it going.

Make sure you insert the cards one at time while the TiVo is on.

BOb
Old 03-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #2048
markgrogers

hsuthard: My post about my experience with this is back on 1/25/2008 if you are interested. It sounds as if not much has changed. Verizon is still not really training their installers on cable cards and they are buying cards from manufacturers with high defect rates. You'll be educating installers one at a time as they visit and play cable-card roulette with your TiVo for a long tome to come.

And the instructions that pilotbob linked above are the ones that I begged my Verizon installers to follow, but they seemed more interested in doing it their own way. I finally did get a cooperative guy who did follow the instructions (but, of course, the cable cards were bad so it didn't help).

Anyway, good luck on your quest- for what its worth, once set-up, I have had no problems with the cards for 2 years.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #2049
richsadams

Quote:
I was also working under the assumption that you had run Guided Setup before doing anything else. If running GS doesn't change things, you might want to run a Clear and Delete everything and then run GS again. C&D will wipe any "left over" data and bring your TiVo back to all of the out of the box defaults.

Our FIOS install on our Series3 didn't go perfectly...the tech kept ignoring the installation instructions and insisted he could activate both cards at the same time. But after having no success he finally followed the instructions and almost everything was okay. I say almost because he just checked a few channels before leaving. Later I found that all of the pay channels with the HD Extreme package weren't working. After spending a half hour on the phone with their tech support they did something on their end to resolve that. (They apologized for the trouble.) I had to wait for about an hour before everything was in working order. It's been flawless since.

Best of luck...it will get fixed and hopefully soon!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 12:54 PM   #2050
hsuthard

Well, I re-did the guided setup with no change. Verizon called me back to continue trouble shooting, and we conferenced in a Tivo tech as well, but still no luck. The cards aren't communicating at all (the Messages field isn't populating and the OOB Signal won't lock and the Val field won't register). The only change Verizon has been able to affect is to change the EBCP field from Yes to No and then back again.

I think I'm ready to try new cablecards, although while I'm waiting for them to come out I may try Rich's suggestion to clear & delete and re-run.
Old 03-19-2010, 04:14 PM   #2051
hsuthard

OK, I just did a clear & delete everything and re-ran guided setup. I'll force a couple of connections as well. I scheduled a technician to come out on Monday and made sure they made a note to bring several cablecards. It's just so frustrating because these Verizon guys really do try their best, but they just can't seem to get it right.

Think I should try to have Verizon activate the cards again now that I've done the clear & delete? Or should I just turn off the tv and wait until Monday?
Old 03-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #2052
Garloo

FWIW, my Fios install was also difficult, but not nearly as bad as yours.

I have a Series 3 HD that I used with Time Warner before switching to Fios. The software is current at Version 11.0d.

The tech tried to install two M cards, which is supposed to be possible with an S3 HD, but the unit did not accept them and the Fios system did not recognize them. Upon further testing the tech determined one of the M cards was defective, but even after replacing it, no luck with either CC. We spent several hours doing everything per the Tivo guided install and with the assistance of Tivo telephone tech support.

Finally, he went back to the office and dug up two old S cards, and the second he slipped them in, they were recognized and the system worked.

Garloo
Garloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 06:15 PM   #2053
hsuthard

I know there are some installation horror stories out there. I did do a full clear and delete everything and re-ran the guided setup. I installed the cards one at a time and had them individually activated following the instructions carefully. But no luck. I have a tech scheduled for Monday, and I had the last guy add to the notes that S-cards would be preferred if possible. I'll update on Monday to let you all know how quickly and successful the install is going
Old 03-19-2010, 06:22 PM   #2054
cwerdna
Proud Tivolutionary

Note Ymmv

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgrogers View Post
hsuthard: My post about my experience with this is back on 1/25/2008 if you are interested. It sounds as if not much has changed. Verizon is still not really training their installers on cable cards and they are buying cards from manufacturers with high defect rates. You'll be educating installers one at a time as they visit and play cable-card roulette with your TiVo for a long tome to come.
It's definitely a case of YMMV, and it might depend on the area. I have FiOS in Redmond, WA and my install last year (Sept or October 09) went fine. The CableCARD portion of it took <15 minutes. See http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...rd#post7690012

My card is from Motorola.
cwerdna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 01:55 PM   #2055
V7Goose
Verizon FiOS

Cool No Pairing for any device

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
That is correct...although I can't verify if it works between devices, only TiVo's. I don't see why switching between devices would be any different though.
I can verify that at least in North Texas you can move Verizon cable cards between any compatible device without any problem whatsoever. But I got a nasty surprise with M cards recently.

I finally decided to force them to come out and swap my two S cards in the THD unit for M cards so I could effectively get another card at no more cost. My wife gets mad when I have both tuners busy on the main TiVo so she cannot watch something else, so I thought I'd just take the extra card from the THD and put it in the Sony plasma TV so she could always switch over and watch live TV on any channel when the TiVo was busy. I already knew the FiOS cable cards worked fine in this TV since I had pulled them from the TiVos and tried it.

The nasty surprise is that the new M card would not work in either the Sony plasma TV or the S3. I knew that the S3 would not use an M card as a dual tuner, but I assumed it would at least use them the same as an S card. BAD assumption! Neither my S3 nor my Sony TV will use any M card for anything but analog channels, even tho the same cards work perfectly in the THD. I had to call them back out to swap one of the new M cards back to an old S card just to use it! Other than that mess, I have never had even the slightest problem getting new cable cards from FiOS set up.
Goose
V7Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 02:58 PM   #2056
pghkirwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimtedjeske View Post
Unbelievable!! I just had the same problem of losing all channels above 50 here in the Pittsburgh area. I have already had a few calls with Verizon so I am already at a high degree of frustration on this but when I read the thread I thought I could get Verizon in Pittsburgh to talk to Verizon in New York to identify the problem and the solution. Apparently, they don't or won't talk to each other, they don't have the number for NY and there is no way to communicate. It almost makes me nostalgic for Comcast.
I had the same problem with my S3 and FIOS here in Pittsburgh - it worked fine for over a year after the initial install. Began having problems with non-local channels a couple of months ago and had a service tech come out. He removed the two attenuators that were attached to the S3, pinged the cards and, voila, everything worked fine until just recently. The same issue started again - we get the local stations but nothing over 50/550.

Called Fiber Solutions and talked with the CSR - he checked the cards from their end and saw no problems with the 2 S cards in this box. rebooted the S3 and the channels showed up. The CSR said that the SNR should be ~36 - and it was for both cards. He also suggested that the problem may be with the S3...

Here I am, 2 days later and I can't get the non-local channels.

Interesting thing is that this problem's only affecting my S3. I have a THD (with a recently installed M-card) that is not having any problems with reception.

Could record on the THD and use MRV to transfer to the S3 in the living room, but, that's not the point.

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks,

Don
pghkirwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 08:48 PM   #2057
hsuthard

Quote:
I know there are some installation horror stories out there. I did do a full clear and delete everything and re-ran the guided setup. I installed the cards one at a time and had them individually activated following the instructions carefully. But no luck. I have a tech scheduled for Monday, and I had the last guy add to the notes that S-cards would be preferred if possible. I'll update on Monday to let you all know how quickly and successful the install is going
Well, it's up and running!! The Verizon guy was here for almost three hours, but it's working perfectly now. He ended up replacing the coax outlet in the wall and the cable, and that seemed to do it. He had initially tested the strength of my coax and found it to be okay, but after a couple of cablecard activation dances, he tested it again and found it to be sub-par and variable. Once he replaced the coax outlet and cable we instantly had a signal and the activations were able to take. So I did need him to come out after all.

Now I'm getting frustrated with the slingbox LOL. I can get it working straight from the router, but it doesn't seem to like the wireless bridge I have. I'm going to save that problem for tomorrow ;-)
Old 03-22-2010, 09:28 PM   #2058
richsadams

Quote:
Well, it's up and running!! The Verizon guy was here for almost three hours, but it's working perfectly now. He ended up replacing the coax outlet in the wall and the cable, and that seemed to do it. He had initially tested the strength of my coax and found it to be okay, but after a couple of cablecard activation dances, he tested it again and found it to be sub-par and variable. Once he replaced the coax outlet and cable we instantly had a signal and the activations were able to take. So I did need him to come out after all.
Hey...that's great news! Congrats and enjoy!
Old 03-30-2010, 10:01 AM   #2059
lb3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieler8 View Post
I have the exact same situation as you mae. Cancelled comcast on 3/24 with an effective date of 4/2. They tell me they cannot cancelled me until 4/13 but they will backdate/refund any charges as of 4/2.
Yeah, that's how Comcast seems to work. They charged me the full bill, then mailed me a check for the credit. Seems kind of stupid, but whatever... Maybe they're hoping you won't cash the check.

Fios services have been working great for me. I do have some complaints about Verizon though.

1. They have overbilled me twice since I upgraded to a HD package from the base non-HD package I originally got. First, they charged a cancellation fee of $175. I got on online chat and they removed it quickly. However, the next month they added "Games on Demand" and Starz. Plus they Back billed me for the previous month too. I got on online chat again and they removed it quickly. Curious to see what next month holds....

2. I have 2 Tivo HDs. One was installed back in August and one was installed in January. The first one has 1 M-Card. The 2nd has 2 S-Cards. The installer didn't have any M-Cards. I didn't get charged for the extra card the 1st month, but it is on my bill now. So that's an extra $3.99 on my monthlybill. Going to call and try to get the 2nd S-Card for free when I have the time, but I am doubtful.
lb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #2060
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lb3 View Post
Yeah, that's how Comcast seems to work. They charged me the full bill, then mailed me a check for the credit. Seems kind of stupid, but whatever... Maybe they're hoping you won't cash the check.

Fios services have been working great for me. I do have some complaints about Verizon though.

1. They have overbilled me twice since I upgraded to a HD package from the base non-HD package I originally got. First, they charged a cancellation fee of $175. I got on online chat and they removed it quickly. However, the next month they added "Games on Demand" and Starz. Plus they Back billed me for the previous month too. I got on online chat again and they removed it quickly. Curious to see what next month holds....

2. I have 2 Tivo HDs. One was installed back in August and one was installed in January. The first one has 1 M-Card. The 2nd has 2 S-Cards. The installer didn't have any M-Cards. I didn't get charged for the extra card the 1st month, but it is on my bill now. So that's an extra $3.99 on my monthlybill. Going to call and try to get the 2nd S-Card for free when I have the time, but I am doubtful.
Our experience with VZ tech has been very good. OTOH our experiences with VZ billing have been far less than satisfactory. That seems to be the consensus here and on almost every related forum I've ever visited. Their websites are kludgey and not at all user friendly IMO as well.

To be fair I've only had very poor experiences with Verizon Wireless which I had for a couple of years before we switched to FIOS. Based on that I was very concerned that they wouldn't get our FIOS package right initially. It seems to take an act of congress for them to get things straight with my cell phone account. Even the most simple things like changing our address on the cell account took them six months to correct. Comcast was just the opposite; the billing was always spot on, but their tech support less than desirable. Luckily everything on FIOS is fine.

I guess it's always something, but VZ really needs to invest in the customer support side of the business as it leaves a very bad taste in people's mouths.

Best of luck and I hope they get your account ironed out.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #2061
blackngold75

FiOS does not make it easy to get CableCards, that's for sure.

I decided to turn my FiOS TV service back on since they were offering some good deals if you sign-up online. Of course, you can't order CableCards online but you also can't get the deal if you call. So, I ordered online and indicated 1 HD set-top box needed just so I can complete the order and get the discount.

Afterwards, I had to call to cancel the HD box and request two CableCards instead. The guy on the phone was "pretty sure you can't have TV service without at least one set-top box"! I convinced him you could, and he said he updated the order. So, now the order says 1HD box PLUS 2 CableCards. I hope that will all be straightened out after the install is done...
blackngold75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:40 PM   #2062
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post

I decided to turn my FiOS TV service back on since they were offering some good deals if you sign-up online. Of course, you can't order CableCards online but you also can't get the deal if you call. So, I ordered online and indicated 1 HD set-top box needed just so I can complete the order and get the discount.

Afterwards, I had to call to cancel the HD box and request two CableCards instead. The guy on the phone was "pretty sure you can't have TV service without at least one set-top box"! I convinced him you could, and he said he updated the order. So, now the order says 1HD box PLUS 2 CableCards. I hope that will all be straightened out after the install is done...
I ran into the same issue when I placed our original order so I called in and told them I wanted the online offer but I couldn't complete the order because I needed cable cards. The CSR was actually quite understanding and worked it out without any issues. When the installer arrived (a contractor, not an actual VZ employee) he had down a set top box along with the cable cards. I explained things and he was pretty savvy. He called it in and the set top box was never included on our account.

However, as mentioned, once they have something in their system, it's almost in stone. I'd call them back because sure as heck once they activate your account that's what you'll get charged for. So I'd make sure things are right before they show up. Then I'd be sure to follow up with the installer and the office even before you get your first bill. I know it sounds like overkill but there are many, many posts here and elsewhere that have some real horror stories that could have probably been avoided if things were set up right in the first place.

Seems like a shame anyone should have to go through all of that, but that seems to be the norm unfortunately. The good...or great news is that once you experience FIOS you'll be very happy!

Best of luck!
Old 03-30-2010, 09:18 PM   #2063
georgemoe
TiVo Army Grunt

Tivo HD and Mcard - No HDMI?

After waiting two years for FiOS to get to my street, I finally got it installed today. No major issues other than HDMI will not work for FiOS/cbl channels. I get the HDCP error on all cable channels. My OTA channels via the Tivo HD display fine but not the FiOS channels. The tech actually left after I switched over to component to get things to display. I'm not faulting him on this but he didn't really have much experience with Tivo's.

I called the Tivo CableCard Hotline who checked a number of screens and finally concluded that the cable card (M) was not authorized properly. It needed to be rehit. I called Fiber Solutions who rehit the card but nothing happened. They then proceeded to Google for a solution.

I've tried to Google this issue myself and I'm coming up empty. HDMI works fine on the Tivo ant channels but not with FiOS/mCard. I changed inputs, cables, etc. No help. I'll eventually try some searches at dbstalk but I've hit a wall spending all day either with the installer or on the phone. About 8 hrs total.

Any ideas on this here? Thanks for your help!

George
georgemoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #2064
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackngold75 View Post

I had the same waltz with a CSR yesterday. Since I ordered and new Premier XL and I Wooted a S3 refurb, I figured I'd retire my 2 S2DT boxes. I currently have 4 'S' cards on my 2 THDs so let's do the math.

Keep 2 'S' cards for the S3. Check.

Order 3 'M' cards - 2 for my existing THDs and 1 for the new PXL The CSR can't guarantee 'M' cards but that's basically all they have anyway so, Check.

Return 2 'S' cards. Check.
Return 2 STBs. BS alert. A STB is required? Huh?

After a chat with a very nice and knowlegable girl at Fiber Solutions we came to the conclusion that the STB is a billing requirement, not a technical requirement. The CableCARDs will work just fine without a STB.

So that begs the question - if I return both STBs does that magically hose my account so the CableCARDS stop working?

I guess I'm asking other FIOS customers - Did you originally order CableCARDs and a STB and then return the box?

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:36 PM   #2065
SoBayJake

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Return 2 STBs. BS alert. A STB is required? Huh?

After a chat with a very nice and knowlegable girl at Fiber Solutions we came to the conclusion that the STB is a billing requirement, not a technical requirement. The CableCARDs will work just fine without a STB.

So that begs the question - if I return both STBs does that magically hose my account so the CableCARDS stop working?

I guess I'm asking other FIOS customers - Did you originally order CableCARDs and a STB and then return the box?
I've never had STBs on my account, so I can't imagine that a billing requirement exists for an STB.

*edited to note I never had STBs on my account - only CableCards.

Nonunsed Series 2s
Series 3 - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
TiVo HD - 1 TB drive (lifetime)
Premiere XL (lifetime)
Verizon FiOS with CableCARDs

Last edited by SoBayJake : 03-31-2010 at 01:43 PM.
SoBayJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:41 PM   #2066
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

I've never had a FIOS STB in my house, it is not a billing requirement.
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:50 PM   #2067
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
As mentioned earlier, they had me down for a STB and the tech brought one, but of course none was needed and it was never added to my account. So, perhaps that's the case...they can't process an order w/o including a STB? Seems crazy, but then...
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #2068
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
As mentioned earlier, they had me down for a STB and the tech brought one, but of course none was needed and it was never added to my account. So, perhaps that's the case...they can't process an order w/o including a STB? Seems crazy, but then...
Thanks. I thought I posted a "nevermind" after reading you comments above but I guess not ...

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #2069
mae

get an HD STB or DVR free for a year (maybe)

My HD and/or DVR expander died back on 3/1, and I'll post that saga on a new thread.

BUT, knowing I'd be without, I called VZ and asked about swapping my HD box (which was at the end of a one year free period) for a DVR. CSR said I couldn't have a regular DVR free, but could have the home media one (yeah, I know it is the same with different authorizations) free for a year. I took the HD box to a VZ store a few miles from here, swapped and activated it.

The billing has been right, $19.99 charge and $20 credit.

The experience has taught me how much I like my TiVo, but it beats watching in realtime!

So if you are calling them anyway to do a card order or swap, you might as well ask about a free year of either a box or DVR.

BTW, I got a Premiere XL today, put the M card in and had no problem getting all channels, including encrypted ones.
mae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:10 PM   #2070
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by mae View Post
BTW, I got a Premiere XL today, put the M card in and had no problem getting all channels, including encrypted ones.
Nice to hear. Our Premiere XL is supposed to arrive Friday. I pulled the cable card out of our TiVo HD so hopefully when I slip it into the new TiVo it will be back to business as usual. Looking forward to the new HD GUI!