TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM   #1381
plazman30

Not likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjberra View Post
sorry, a level 1 csr will not have any accurate information, if the unit would be out in "a couple of weeks" the boards would be awash with speculation and FUD posts.
When I called a few weeks ago, I was told that there was "no information" on Tivo availability.

Andy
plazman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 06:14 AM   #1382
sjberra

Quote:
Originally Posted by plazman30 View Post
When I called a few weeks ago, I was told that there was "no information" on Tivo availability.

Andy
which is the only accurate/truthful statement a level 1 tsr can give you, doubt everything else concerning when and how much when speaking to them.
sjberra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:28 AM   #1383
shibby191

Quote:
which is the only accurate/truthful statement a level 1 tsr can give you, doubt everything else concerning when and how much when speaking to them.
Especially when the Tivo CEO is saying nothing more specific then "later in 2010", what kind of specific dates or info do people expect from a CSR barely making minumum wage and will be burnt out and off to another job in less then 6 months? I think people expect waaaaaay to much from CSRs in companies these days. You will get *accurate* and timely information on forums like this and DBSTalk well before CSRs have the information in hand.
shibby191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 10:56 AM   #1384
ibmman69

I'm really discouraged with the DTV HD Tivo delay. I just bought my first HDTV and am ready to upgrade from my DSR6000, but don't want the crap DTV DVR. SDTV looks really crappy on my nice new TV.

I know as soon as I order the new HD Tivo will come out the next month and I'll be stuck in a 2yr contract. I think I will at least wait for the HR24 DTV DVR because it should be out very soon.

I love Tivo and prefer to support the originators, not imitators, of revolutionary ideas.
ibmman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #1385
sjberra

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibby191 View Post
Especially when the Tivo CEO is saying nothing more specific then "later in 2010", what kind of specific dates or info do people expect from a CSR barely making minumum wage and will be burnt out and off to another job in less then 6 months? I think people expect waaaaaay to much from CSRs in companies these days. You will get *accurate* and timely information on forums like this and DBSTalk well before CSRs have the information in hand.
bottom line is and will always be until it is in pipleline in quantity and in use by more then a few people any speculation or "unsurpased informtion" is nothing but blue smoke and mirrors.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #1386
id2.1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmman69 View Post
I'm really discouraged with the DTV HD Tivo delay. I just bought my first HDTV and am ready to upgrade from my DSR6000, but don't want the crap DTV DVR. SDTV looks really crappy on my nice new TV.

I know as soon as I order the new HD Tivo will come out the next month and I'll be stuck in a 2yr contract. I think I will at least wait for the HR24 DTV DVR because it should be out very soon.

I love Tivo and prefer to support the originators, not imitators, of revolutionary ideas.
ok, so how does the DirecTV contract work with equipment?

if i sign up as a new customer and lease from Directv, do i get a choice of equipment? or do i just get whatever equipment the guy has in his truck that will do what i signed up for?

if i lease equipment, and i get, say, an HR23, and then later a new DTV Tivo device comes out, is there any way to upgrade to that DTV Tivo device under the lease terms?

i realize anything regarding this phantom new DTV HD Tivo is conjecture at this point, but, how did it work with the previous DTV Tivo units, and, for that matter, successive equipment upgrades from DTV itself?
id2.1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #1387
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
1. You get what is on the truck, no matter what the CSR promises you.

2. Whether an upgrade will be possible is unknown. Most likely it will be treated as a new box triggering a new 2-year commitment and a new "lease upgrade" fee.
Old 03-30-2010, 02:27 PM   #1388
id2.1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
1. You get what is on the truck, no matter what the CSR promises you.

2. Whether an upgrade will be possible is unknown. Most likely it will be treated as a new box triggering a new 2-year commitment and a new "lease upgrade" fee.
yeah, ok, that makes sense (from a DTV point of view anyway).

when they came out with the old DTV Tivo, could you just buy it and move your service onto it?
Old 03-30-2010, 03:06 PM   #1389
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by id2.1k View Post

when they came out with the old DTV Tivo, could you just buy it and move your service onto it?
Probably. And probably reup your 2 year commitment from that date.

(You said buy. Although you can buy DirecTV boxes, that is quite pricey. Typically you are actually paying up front on a lease, even when you walk into Costco or Best Buy.)

The only way to control what box you get unless you are in an MRV test area and therefore get the HR24, is to "buy" one from a third party that is affiliated with DirecTV such as Costco or Best Buy.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:50 PM   #1390
smcpartlin

Tivo DirecTV never happening...

Well we have an OFfice package with several units. 3 of the older HD tivo's and DirecTV is pestering us to replace the units with their mpeg-4 units...

Replace the dishes and the units for free. I told them no. I want the HD Tivo unit that should have been out last year.

Or I would accept DirecTV cable Cards if they would come out with that.

So far nothing.

Our installer for the Chicagoland area claims they spoke to DirecTV upper management and there are no plans to release Tivio units any time in the near future.
smcpartlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:15 PM   #1391
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcpartlin View Post
there are no plans to release Tivio units any time in the near future.
Well what they say is true. There is no date for any new unit, only "later this year" from the Tivo CEO. Obviously DirecTV can't give you a release date when Tivo themselves don't even know.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:51 AM   #1392
sjberra

Quote:

there is a HR2X that can be purchased outright - theHR21-Pro, last time I looked the sale price was right arounf 499.00, adding this box will not trigger a commitment - although you may have to get to the access card department to get it straightened out, it seems no tier 1 csr can add a unit without triggering the commitment.

Keep in mind you will probably have to pay for a dish and installation if you go the HR21-Pro route
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM   #1393
id2.1k

Quote:
there is a HR2X that can be purchased outright - theHR21-Pro, last time I looked the sale price was right arounf 499.00, adding this box will not trigger a commitment - although you may have to get to the access card department to get it straightened out, it seems no tier 1 csr can add a unit without triggering the commitment.

Keep in mind you will probably have to pay for a dish and installation if you go the HR21-Pro route

so how do the directv "buy" options from DVRupgrade and weaknees (both sponsors of this site, above) work? what kind of relationship are you getting into with directv using one of those options? do you own whatever box you "buy"?

obviously they don't have the new directv hd tivo for sale, but if/when they do, would it be possible to then "buy" the directv hd tivo unit and move service to it? (triggering a new lease shouldn't be an issue, presumably if you buy a directv hd tivo unit, you're planning on sticking with directv).
Old 04-07-2010, 11:17 AM   #1394
vurbano

Quote:
Well what they say is true. There is no date for any new unit, only "later this year" from the Tivo CEO. Obviously DirecTV can't give you a release date when Tivo themselves don't even know.
Tivo has a contract with Directv and I can guarantee you it doesnt say "whenever" and I can guarantee you they both know the date.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #1395
shibby191

Quote:
Originally Posted by vurbano View Post
Tivo has a contract with Directv and I can guarantee you it doesnt say "whenever" and I can guarantee you they both know the date.
Come on now, be real. It's already been delayed twice so whatever "date" is in the contract has already been passed twice. And of course whatever date is in the contract isn't going to be shared to the public.

Last edited by shibby191 : 04-07-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:52 AM   #1396
shibby191

Quote:
so how do the directv "buy" options from DVRupgrade and weaknees (both sponsors of this site, above) work? what kind of relationship are you getting into with directv using one of those options? do you own whatever box you "buy"?

obviously they don't have the new directv hd tivo for sale, but if/when they do, would it be possible to then "buy" the directv hd tivo unit and move service to it? (triggering a new lease shouldn't be an issue, presumably if you buy a directv hd tivo unit, you're planning on sticking with directv).
Not sure why you'd want to actually buy it. You end up paying less by leasing even with the commitment.

Lease - Pay $99 for upgrade (many get it free). Early termination fee is $20 per month left on the 24 month commitment.

Buy/Own - $499.

Both charge the same $4.99 monthly fee if it's not your only receiver, if it is your only receiver then there is no monthly fee for either.

So let's say you stay with DirecTV at least 6 more months (why would you quit it right away?) your ETF would be $360. So couple that with your up front you're at $460. I guess you could eBay the owned receiver and you might get $40-50 for it. So the cost end up being about the same. Every month you stay over and above 6 months you save money by leasing over owning.

I never have understood the big deal people make about the commitment or trying to actually own it. Unless you leave the very next month it's almost always cheaper to actually lease. Plus if you lease and it breaks they will replace it at their cost. If you own and it breaks you're SOL, you will pay for a replacement.

Only reason I can see to not be in a commitment is if you're one that "chases the deal" every year and switches providers. If that's the case good luck finding one that doesn't make you commit to something for the new sub deals, heck even FIOS and many cable companies put you 1-2 year commitments now for the best deals. Charter around here puts you in a 2 yr commitment to get their triple play pack deal.

Choice is yours, there is no "right" answer.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #1397
id2.1k

Quote:
Not sure why you'd want to actually buy it. You end up paying less by leasing even with the commitment.
Choice is yours, there is no "right" answer.
i guess i'm trying to do a couple of things, but my understanding of the basic situation may be incorrect. i'm trying to:

1. "own" a directv tivo hd outright (when it appears), and not lease the physical unit.
2. "own" the tivo service on that tivo, and not have to pay monthly for that service.
3. pay only the monthly fee for the directv *programming* (and maybe the dish fee, though that one is maybe debatable too.)

i have no idea how directv and tivo would work out their arrangement though, and what fees would be wrapped up in whatever other fees. i just know that i've gotten tremendous mileage and value out of my series *one* tivo with lifetime service over the past 9 years. i'd like to see if i can replicate that with HD and directv.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:06 PM   #1398
samo

Quote:
i guess i'm trying to do a couple of things, but my understanding of the basic situation may be incorrect. i'm trying to:

1. "own" a directv tivo hd outright (when it appears), and not lease the physical unit.
2. "own" the tivo service on that tivo, and not have to pay monthly for that service.
3. pay only the monthly fee for the directv *programming* (and maybe the dish fee, though that one is maybe debatable too.)

i have no idea how directv and tivo would work out their arrangement though, and what fees would be wrapped up in whatever other fees. i just know that i've gotten tremendous mileage and value out of my series *one* tivo with lifetime service over the past 9 years. i'd like to see if i can replicate that with HD and directv.
Not possible.
1. New unit will be available for lease only.
2. You will be paying monthly sub fees to DirecTV. Lifetime option will not be available.
3. You will be paying for programming, HD fees, additional receiver fees and whatever additional fees DirecTV will charge for TiVo.
samo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #1399
id2.1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by samo View Post
Not possible.
1. New unit will be available for lease only.
2. You will be paying monthly sub fees to DirecTV. Lifetime option will not be available.
3. You will be paying for programming, HD fees, additional receiver fees and whatever additional fees DirecTV will charge for TiVo.
any educated guesses out there as to $ amount for premiums that will be associated with the new dtv tivo hd?
Old 04-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #1400
shibby191

Quote:
any educated guesses out there as to $ amount for premiums that will be associated with the new dtv tivo hd?
Nobody knows and there have been no hints. Many think it might be in the $3-$5 a month range but who knows, could be 2 bucks, could be 10.

But it's no different then a stand alone Tivo, you *will* be paying a monthly fee no matter what. Only difference is no lifetime option. With this new box Tivo feels that people will pay more for it and DirecTV is happy to pass that extra cost on.

But counting on anything is really setting yourself up for disappointment. Right now the new DirecTivo doesn't exist, it's basically vaporware that has been delayed twice already. It's getting to the point it will be surprising to see it out by the end of the year. So I personally wouldn't make any decisions on the hope this box comes out this year, if ever.
Old 04-08-2010, 08:03 AM   #1401
smcpartlin

OK so we will have to lease it... how is that going to effect people that hack the tivo box to enable features that have been turned off.

Most noteably is the ethernet port and the ability to access stored programming on the HD so you can drag the video off of the Tivo and play on a laptop/ computer whatever.... We have the 10-250 HD Tivo and I know there are plenty of hacks that let you do this. We never did it because it wasn't worth the trouble.

If we don't own the boxes then they could come and swap out the box any time they wanted. (they may even have the right to fine you for messing with their hardware) Thus I hope there is a way to just buy the box through someone at some "full" price allowing you to mess with the software to a certain degree.

Personally I would just say this:

If DirecTV just made a cable card adapter so a Windows Media Center PC could become the DVR for HD SAT content I think the Tivio might go the way of the dodo. I would just set up 2 to 4 Media Center "servers" and start recording all the content that my viewer would want... then archive everything on huge data stores... purging when we get over 20-40 TB the oldest/least desired content. Allowing realtime streaming of "live" programming for x number of users and your done. This would also be the cheaper method for bars to show programming accross multiple TV's. and far simpler. (maybe not cheap for the ave home user but cheaper then what places like BW3's does now)

But as it seems there is no option for Cable Cards for DirecTV (would call em' something diffrent I guess if they did)

We have no idea when a new DirecTV unit with Tivio will ship, we only can assume we can't buy it, and we have no idea but assume adv features will be crippled on the units. Slingbox is trying to get time-shifting built right into the boxes for DISH network (some may already have the feature) and they are trying to really get it going.... It's a very nice function if you have good internet connections. I doubt we can expect something similar from DirecTV.

I'm more than fed up with DirecTV. We don't want to switch to cable. Plus we don't a crap DVR. If it's not a Tivio it's most likely crap.
smcpartlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:40 AM   #1402
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I fully expect that the new TiVo box will not be hackable.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #1403
id2.1k

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevel View Post
I fully expect that the new TiVo box will not be hackable.
then that would be an electronics industry first then, wouldn't it?
Old 04-08-2010, 10:23 AM   #1404
shibby191

Quote:
then that would be an electronics industry first then, wouldn't it?
Eh? None of the DirecTV DVRs are "hackable" and the DirecTV had a huge issue with the old DirecTivo's being hackable, thus why the last DirecTivo model was only hackable with a hardware chip hack (if I remember correctly). You can bet good money that DirecTV won't let this new DirecTivo on the market if it is hackable, especially in terms of taking content off the hard drive. It was announced to "run on the DirecTV network platform". Thus you can also bet that if it has MRV it will be DirecTV's version of MRV, not Tivo's. It will most certainly not have Tivo 2 Go on it. If you're expecting anything beyond the Tivo UI and what comes with that (wishlists, suggestions, etc) then you're going to be disappointed. Certainly we don't know for sure but in taking what is publicly known along with the SEC filings, the past DirecTivo units and what DirecTV is trying to build, these are good bets to make.
Old 04-08-2010, 02:07 PM   #1405
id2.1k

Quote:
Eh? None of the DirecTV DVRs are "hackable" and the DirecTV had a huge issue with the old DirecTivo's being hackable, thus why ...
hey, ok, i'll take your word for it. but i suspect directv dvr's "aren't hackable" because there's no real incentive to do so. if there were a payoff, i'd bet it could be hacked.
Old 04-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #1406
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
There's as much an incentive as there is for TiVos. People have tried.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:36 PM   #1407
biarmafterb

HD TiVo and HD DirecTV TiV

mdgm wrote:Well you should follow chirpas advice and contact tech support.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #1408
toobleu

Is DirecTV HD Tivo getting close to being released?

For what it is worth, I talked to a field technician the other day, and he claimed to have actually seen the new DirecTV HD Tivo at some tech forum. He had no idea when it would be released, but felt that if they are showing it to techs, it might be in the next few months.
toobleu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #1409
litzdog911
TechKnow Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobleu View Post
For what it is worth, I talked to a field technician the other day, and he claimed to have actually seen the new DirecTV HD Tivo at some tech forum. He had no idea when it would be released, but felt that if they are showing it to techs, it might be in the next few months.
Current rumors are this summer.
HR10-250 HD DVR 400GB (v6.4a)
H21-200 HD Receiver
R10 DVR 160GB (v6.4a)
litzdog911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 10:07 AM   #1410
mtgranny

I have tried to stay loyal to TiVo for 8+years. I moved 5 years ago. I have no antenna service. I have no Cable service. I have 3 TiVos unusable except for Tivo games and podcast, streaming, etc. I am stuck with Direct TV. I am stuck with promises that a DTV-TiVo HD unit will be out "next year". I am beginning to lose faith. Being without TiVo TV programming for 5 years has about weaned me off the desire to return. The only winner in all this is DTV and TiVo. Both are getting money from me and neither seem interested in providing me with DTV-TiVo HD service. It is time for me to set a deadline of my own and move on. Perhaps by June 1st. If nothing then, I need to get over my grieving and find a way to enjoy HD program capture on my home networked computers.
mtgranny is offline   Reply With Quote