TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-28-2010, 07:02 PM   #7291
rxcats

I just upgraded my Limited Basic to Digital Economy with HD today and had an M-card installed in my TiVO. Here in San Francisco, they will not give you an M-card to install yourself so someone has to come to your home to do it.

The Limited Basic had gone up to $21.29/month in my area and Digital Economy (a new tier) was only $29.95/month. This is not a promotional offer, so I don't have to worry about it doubling in 6 months. The addition of HD is $7.00/month.

My problem is that I am not getting all of the HD channels I should be getting. I first tried Comcast chat which was USELESS. I then called Comcast and the representitive said that it should be working based on her end. They do have me down as Digital Economy AND HD. She tried to resend some signal to the M-card but to no avail. She had me check several channels that she is certain I should be getting, but they are not coming through. I rebooted my TiVO and did the channel search thing where it looks for available channels 2 times. I am getting more channels than I thought I would (Comcast did not know what the exact line-up would be with this new tier), but the only HD channels I am getting are the regular network stations which I am also able to get OTC from Sutro Tower anyway. The HD channels I SHOULD be getting show up on the channel list on TiVO and show 100% signal, but the screen is grey.

Anyone have similar issues? Any ideas?
rxcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 PM   #7292
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxcats View Post
I just upgraded my Limited Basic to Digital Economy with HD today and had an M-card installed in my TiVO. Here in San Francisco, they will not give you an M-card to install yourself so someone has to come to your home to do it.

The Limited Basic had gone up to $21.29/month in my area and Digital Economy (a new tier) was only $29.95/month. This is not a promotional offer, so I don't have to worry about it doubling in 6 months. The addition of HD is $7.00/month.

My problem is that I am not getting all of the HD channels I should be getting. I first tried Comcast chat which was USELESS. I then called Comcast and the representitive said that it should be working based on her end. They do have me down as Digital Economy AND HD. She tried to resend some signal to the M-card but to no avail. She had me check several channels that she is certain I should be getting, but they are not coming through. I rebooted my TiVO and did the channel search thing where it looks for available channels 2 times. I am getting more channels than I thought I would (Comcast did not know what the exact line-up would be with this new tier), but the only HD channels I am getting are the regular network stations which I am also able to get OTC from Sutro Tower anyway. The HD channels I SHOULD be getting show up on the channel list on TiVO and show 100% signal, but the screen is grey.

Anyone have similar issues? Any ideas?
Suggest you start here: TiVo Support page on CableCARD troubleshooting

Ten to one your card is not properly paired. But the article will help you figure that out.
Old 03-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #7293
rxcats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
Suggest you start here:CableCARD troubleshooting (can't include link due to being a new poster/rxcats)

Ten to one your card is not properly paired. But the article will help you figure that out.
Thanks for the info. I indeed found the problem. The Conditional Access screen has an error. It reads Auth:MP when it should be Auth:S. Troubleshooting says this means a message that is supposed to be in the activation stream coming from the headend is missing. I am not sure what this means, but at least it is an explanation. The troubleshooting guide says this is an issue I must contact the cable provider (Comcast) about.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:04 AM   #7294
cjv2

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I indeed found the problem. The Conditional Access screen has an error. It reads Auth:MP when it should be Auth:S. Troubleshooting says this means a message that is supposed to be in the activation stream coming from the headend is missing. I am not sure what this means, but at least it is an explanation. The troubleshooting guide says this is an issue I must contact the cable provider (Comcast) about.
Yep.

If you're getting nowhere with the locals/phone, drop an email to We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. That's a national escalation point and they deal with folks who are having CableCARD setup/activation issues quite well, even when they still have to pull the locals back in to get it right.
Old 03-29-2010, 10:01 AM   #7295
a68oliver

Quote:
She had me check several channels that she is certain I should be getting, but they are not coming through.

(Comcast did not know what the exact line-up would be with this new tier), but the only HD channels I am getting are the regular network stations which I am also able to get OTC from Sutro Tower anyway. The HD channels I SHOULD be getting show up on the channel list on TiVO and show 100% signal, but the screen is grey.
Channels you are not supposed to get will also show up on the channel list and you can measure their signal strength.

I would be absolutely certain about what channels are in the Digital Economy Tier.

BTW, once you installed cablecards, I thought it disabled the channel search function for cable channels. OTA channels are still searchable. Something doesn't sound right here.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 10:08 AM   #7296
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
BTW, once you installed cablecards, I thought it disabled the channel search function for cable channels.
As I recall, the last time I did a channel search there was an option for cable still sitting there (and I had two S-Cards at the time). But I didn't actually tell the Tivo to try it for cable, so don't know what would have happened.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 PM   #7297
skyline987

Quote:
As I recall, the last time I did a channel search there was an option for cable still sitting there (and I had two S-Cards at the time). But I didn't actually tell the Tivo to try it for cable, so don't know what would have happened.
The options still there but if you select it it tells you its only for use with OTA and regular cable and not cablecards/digital
skyline987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 05:25 PM   #7298
rxcats

The frustration continues. Today I called the Comcast technical support again and got a different technician. He didn't verify who I was or anything, but told me I only get basic network HD on that tier (Digital Economy). He did not instill confidence. If what he says is true, I will immediately downgrade back to Limited Basic without HD. I have an M-card now so I suppose I should be able to get network HD through cable anyway and if not I can get them OTA. I sent the following to the we-can-help email given (thanks).

Hello,

I had an M-CABLEcard installed and upgraded to Digital Economy with HD (from Basic Limited) yesterday. I am getting all of the Digital Economy channels I believe I am supposed to get, however the only HD channels I am getting are the network stations I would get anyway OTA from Sutro Tower. These channels also showed up when I had regular Basic Limited (without adding HD), but they did not show up on the TiVO programing guide at that time since I didn't have an M-card.

Yesterday I called Comcast and was told I should be getting more channels than that with Digital Economy/HD; she had me check several stations including 738 (USA-HD); she stated that on her end, that should be coming through. The service technician then tried to send some signal to the M-card remotely; that didn't do anything either. I was then told to reboot my TiVO; I have rebooted it twice now and scanned channels twice. The situation is still exactly the same. I get the programing information and TiVO says I am getting 100% signal, but I get only a grey screen just like I would get on an unsubscribed station like HBO.

I called Comcast again today and the person (different person today) said I am only entitled to get the regular network HD stations on Digital Economy. I don't know what happened between today and yesterday that suddenly I am entitled to no extra HD stations when paying an extra $7.00/month for them. The person today did not ask for any information to verify my account, etc so I am not sure he really looked into it properly.

Today I tried to find out what I could on a TiVO trouble shooting forum. I believe I found the problem. The Conditional Access screen on my TiVO looks like the one below, but mine says AUTH:MP instead of AUTH:S. According to this troubleshooting guide, "means that a message that is supposed to be in the activation stream coming from the headend is missing."

Please help me get to the bottom of this before I get so frustrated that I just cancel the whole thing.

Thank you,

XX

I don't know how to attach the image of the Conditional Access screen to this post, but I was able to email it.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #7299
actorguy1

Comcast just added new HD channels last Wednesday and Tivo has still not updated programming information for the new channels. What kind of time frame should I expect? Thanks
actorguy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM   #7300
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by actorguy1 View Post
Comcast just added new HD channels last Wednesday and Tivo has still not updated programming information for the new channels. What kind of time frame should I expect? Thanks
You should expect last Wednesday.

Considering that Nat Geo Wild launched on Monday and my Tivo updated the channel list on Monday to include it, it should have already updated. My Tivo usually gets updates for new channels on the day of the addition.

You have waited long enough so it is time that you report the problem. You can report the missing channels on the Tivo Report a Lineup Issue form at http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...neup_tool.html You may also want to check to see if the channel is listed at http://www.zap2it.com/

Zap2it is run by Tribuned Media, the Tivo program data provider.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:53 AM   #7301
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by actorguy1 View Post
If you are talking about routine addition of channels, what a68oliver said. If you are talking about the World Of More rollout landing in your area, you may need to change your channel lineup manually. We've had to do that in Atlanta.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:43 AM   #7302
Dubfire

Just got off the phone with Comcast and to my surprise they want to charge me 16.95 a month for the M-Card and 39.95 to install it. When I asked why - the rep told me it was considered an upgrade hence the 39.95 fee for the truckroll. I asked why the monthly fee when the website says that the 1st cable card is free and she advised because I'm a triple play customer - she could drop it down to $10. I get the sense I'm being ripped off.

I live in WPB, FLorida.
Dubfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:47 AM   #7303
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubfire View Post
Just got off the phone with Comcast and to my surprise they want to charge me 16.95 a month for the M-Card and 39.95 to install it. When I asked why - the rep told me it was considered an upgrade hence the 39.95 fee for the truckroll. I asked why the monthly fee when the website says that the 1st cable card is free and she advised because I'm a triple play customer - she could drop it down to $10. I get the sense I'm being ripped off.

I live in WPB, FLorida.
You *are* getting ripped off - at least for the monthly fee. Don't know about that truck roll/"upgrade" bit. May vary by locality. I'd still pitch a minor fit over it, though, if someone tried to run that on me.

Three options: (a) call back and talk to someone with a clue, (b) try talking to someone online via the website, or (c) email We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.

Personally, I'd recommend (c). They're going to know more and will be more interested in helping you.
Old 03-30-2010, 10:48 AM   #7304
Dubfire

Quote:
You *are* getting ripped off - at least for the monthly fee. Don't know about that truck roll/"upgrade" bit. May vary by locality. I'd still pitch a minor fit over it, though, if someone tried to run that on me.

Three options: (a) call back and talk to someone with a clue, (b) try talking to someone online via the website, or (c) email We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com.

Personally, I'd recommend (c). They're going to know more and will be more interested in helping you.
I emailed we can help and got a reply in less than 5 mins. Thanks.
Dubfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 10:50 AM   #7305
cjv2

Thumbs up

Quote:
I emailed we can help and got a reply in less than 5 mins. Thanks.
Awesome!
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM   #7306
jtreid

Quote:
I had the same exact problem and I had a tech come out and tell me the CSRs work from a flowchart and when they hear cable card they flip to the section in their book and go down a list. He said in the future that would not be necessary assuming everything is entered correctly. He said just tell them to "Give the card a maintenance hit followed by a refresh. That's all they need to do."

That's what he did and it took 2 minutes for all my HD to show up.

Good luck.
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM   #7307
jtreid

Quote:

I live in WPB, FLorida.
Remember, if you are adding the mcard to your account, you will pay an additional outlet fee and with that fee comes the one free card. Depending on what features you have, that charge can vary. Perhaps the $16.95 is just the additional outlet fee.
1 x S3 w/1TB Internal (1-Scard)
1 x Pioneer 810HS w/500G
jtreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:36 PM   #7308
LoneWolf15
Jedi Pirate Ninja

Hey guys (and gals), a question--

What is the minimum Comcast digital package to qualify for a single M-type Cablecard? I'm getting conflicting information, and I'm suspicious that it's just reps trying to upsell me. I'm only planning on getting Digital Economy or Digital Starter, but the rep I spoke with was telling me I'd need to get the 150-channel (I believe Preferred) package, which I think is garbage.

Our household would be defined as single-outlet. I have one TV, I currently have Comcast internet and their ultra-basic (analog) cable, but my Tivo PXL is on the way, so I need to figure this out.
LoneWolf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 02:42 PM   #7309
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf15 View Post

What is the minimum Comcast digital package to qualify for a single M-type Cablecard? I'm getting conflicting information, and I'm suspicious that it's just reps trying to upsell me. I'm only planning on getting Digital Economy or Digital Starter, but the rep I spoke with was telling me I'd need to get the 150-channel (I believe Preferred) package, which I think is garbage.

Our household would be defined as single-outlet. I have one TV, I currently have Comcast internet and their ultra-basic (analog) cable, but my Tivo PXL is on the way, so I need to figure this out.
Suggest you email the folks at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com to find out. That said, Comcast is in the process of killing off analog feeds for everything but the basic channel lineup - they already have in many areas, including mine - and in that situation, *any* digital package effectively requires a CableCARD.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:20 PM   #7310
EvilMidniteBombr
what bomz at midnite

Quote:

I guess it all depends on what's available in your area. Have you looked at comcast.com and checked what packages are available for you? As far as I know, you should be able to get a card without subscribing to any of them if you tell them you need it for the local channels. The most you should have to upgrade to would be the lowest digital tier. Notice I said should. It may be that the rules in your area are different than other areas.

9/11/01... Never Forget.
EvilMidniteBombr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:05 PM   #7311
pl1

Quote:

I have Digital Starter which includes one cableCARD and the price is a couple of dollars cheaper than the normal Digital Stater rate which includes a cable box (the savings there is the lower cost of the cableCARD.) I believe you must have at least Digital Starter to have the cableCARD included in the package. Anything less, and I believe the cableCARD S/B $1.50/mo. But, like everything Comcastic, YMMV based on where you live.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 06:26 PM   #7312
LoneWolf15
Jedi Pirate Ninja

After the first experience I had with Comcast today, it appears the first CSR lied, or at the least, gave me misleading information. She had told me I needed to upgrade to the 150 channel package to get a Cablecard (I believe that'd be the Digital Preferred, one above the Starter package..

I made a second call this afternoon, and rather than requesting a Cablecard, I asked the CSR which digital packages were offered, and how they differed. She was straightforward with me, and listed each package, the monthly fee, and the number of channels. I asked some pricing questions, and she answered them, at which point I decided to go with the base Digital Economy (below Starter) package, and then mentioned I'd need a multistream Cablecard. She looked the plan up to make sure it would qualify for one (she thought I might need to go up to Digital Starter), and it did. She didn't quote me any extra fees, so I believe I'm good there, though I don't know if they'll bill me for the truck roll (required in my area).

I dropped my internet speed to the 12Mbps down/6Mbps up tier instead of the 16Mbps down/8Mbps up tier I had, and in the end, I'm only paying $4 more per month. The truck is supposed to be here Friday afternoon, the day after my Tivo arrives, so I think I'm good. There are some good Comcast employees; my second CSR was very helpful, honest, and didn't try to upsell me on the phone package like the first one did even when she knew I already wasn't very happy. I just wish that Comcast was more consistent across the board.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:49 PM   #7313
jonbatlanta

My Premiere XL Upgrade Comcast CableCard Experience

Sunday, I was able to pick up a Premiere XL at Best Buy here in Atlanta. Since I was upgrading from a TiVo HD with expander, I just took the card out of my HD and moved it to the Premiere.

After my first call to Comcast, I was receiving everything except my premium channels. Four more phone calls and 3 hours later (plus an hour on web chat), I finally gave up and scheduled a truck roll, despite my trying to tell the 4 reps I talked to that all the tech would do is show up and make a phone call, I knew what I was talking about, and if they would just direct me to the right person it would save me time and the inconvenience of taking off work, and save them money, a win-win.

The tech came out today, and just as I thought, he pulled up the CableCard screen (luckily he was very familiar with TiVos), made a 2 minute phone call to give whoever was on the other end my new host number, and within less than a minute I had my HBO and Showtime back. He gave me his phone number so I could call him personally if I ever had another issue with the card, and said he would call the right person and get it fixed.

It's incredibly frustrating to be so inconvenienced for something that took the tech all of 2 minutes, and could have easily been taken care of via the phone with the right person. Optimistic, I know, but I hope Comcast figures out there are better and easier ways of handling the CableCards.
jonbatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:13 PM   #7314
jmpage2

It is super frustrating. All Comcast has to do to fix this is set up a simple web screen through the accounts section of their website that will show you the Cable Cards on your account and let you pair them to a different device.

If you swap a box out, etc, you could just go there and update it yourself and they wouldn't have to do anything. It would probably save them quite a bit of coin.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #7315
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
What is the minimum Comcast digital package to qualify for a single M-type Cablecard?
As others mentioned, areas vary, but I have a card on limited cable (many reps will try and tell you that this is an analog package but it is not). I get everything except the Discovery Channel in HD. It's $12.55 a month and there is no charge for a CableCARD. Comcast should not charge you for a card regardless of what package you have, because their own FAQ states that one card is included in each outlet fee.

Last edited by Atomic Taco : 03-30-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 07:42 PM   #7316
Atomic Taco
CableCARD Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
All Comcast has to do to fix this is set up a simple web screen through the accounts section of their website that will show you the Cable Cards on your account and let you pair them to a different device.
It's not quite that simple. The database that contains authorizations might be in a format that's not easy to interface with a webserver, and likely there are hundreds or thousands of databases across the country at each headend.
If I was a cable operator, I wouldn't want my customers randomly throwing equipment on my system. I'd want to know what they're doing with it and where the equipment came from first.

Yes, Comcast is big and evil, and yes, they make us jump through hoops that seem inconvenient for customers. But remember, they're running a business, and last I checked it was profitable so they must be doing something right.
Atomic Taco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:13 PM   #7317
LoneWolf15
Jedi Pirate Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Taco View Post
Yes, Comcast is big and evil, and yes, they make us jump through hoops that seem inconvenient for customers. But remember, they're running a business, and last I checked it was profitable so they must be doing something right.
Yes. They're doing something right by getting exclusive franchise agreements with municipalities, cities, and states, so they can make money as the exclusive cable provider. Their only competition within an area is with satellite (Dish Network, DirecTV), and maybe if you're a really lucky user, Verizon FiOS (very limited markets) or AT&T U-Verse (also limited markets, I've waited two years for them to be available in my area of my city, still waiting).

If multiple cablecos were allowed to compete in the same market, I guarantee you that between Comcast, Time/Warner, Adelphia, Charter, and whoever else wanted to enter the fray, someone would become far more streamlined and efficient, their customer service would get better, and pricing between competitors would drop. And whoever did not wouldn't be there very long.
Old 03-31-2010, 07:55 AM   #7318
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

There should be no exclusive cable franchise agreements. Any cable provider can come in and offer service, but none do of course because of the high barriers to entry.

Some areas do have competing cable providers today, you know.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:38 PM   #7319
bicker
Gruff

There actually are no municipalities that have exclusive cable franchise agreements in force. The 1992 Cable Act essentially declared all such arrangements null and void. For all intents and purposes, such restrictions simply don't exist.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 11:18 AM   #7320
gothaggis

I have a new TiVO Premiere and the tech failed to get it to work yesterday...was out here for 3 hours.

I've been following this guide: http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...hecableheadend

looks like the connection to the cable headend is fine - if i check the network setup screen, the value of 'messages' increases when i exit and come back to it.

Additionally, when I go to the DVR Diagnostic menu, it shows Signal Lock: Yes. I am asusming this means the same thing as OOB Signal Lock. Also on this page it says "CableCARD Association: None" - should that be something different?

However, when I look at the "Conditional Access" menu, it looks different than the one TiVO has on their site for my Motorola M-CARD (https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=h...Activ_auth.pdf)

Mine only has 3 lines...it displays the Unit Address

Encryption is set to DES
Con:No EBCP:Yes Val:? 0x00

According to that TiVO page, it seems that Con should be set to Yes and this page should also possibly display more information. Since it appears the DVR is communicating over OOB, TiVO suggests that the card is not activated...which goes back to probably incorrect setup of my account or something along those lines. Any other ideas?

Last edited by gothaggis : 04-04-2010 at 02:26 PM.
gothaggis is offline   Reply With Quote