TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-29-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
b_scott
TiVo Fan

A way to remove inactive Tivos from your account view?

Is there a way to remove all my previously sold inactive tivos from my account page? I'm tired of looking at them. Thanks!
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

When you sold them, they weren't transferred to the new owner?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I sold ones without lifetime, just monthly. They activated them, but they just showed up as "cannot be reactivated" at the bottom of my account under Inactive DVR's - but they're still there. Now they both say they can be reactivated - probably because those people canceled the service. But I just want them gone. Afraid the same thing will happen with my HD I'm going to sell when I get my Premiere.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #4
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
I sold ones without lifetime, just monthly. They activated them, but they just showed up as "cannot be reactivated" at the bottom of my account under Inactive DVR's - but they're still there. Now they both say they can be reactivated - probably because those people canceled the service. But I just want them gone. Afraid the same thing will happen with my HD I'm going to sell when I get my Premiere.
I feel your pain. We have a TiVo graveyard of sold TiVos no longer in our posession on our account list - spanning all the way back to Series 1. It's really annoying to have to sift through them to figure out which are the active ones. It would be nice if you could tag some of them as "hide", at the very least.
curiousgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
b_scott
TiVo Fan

agreed. I wonder if you can call Tivo up and have them removed.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:56 PM   #6
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Tried it years ago - no bueno.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
b_scott
TiVo Fan

well that's just dumb. do they just hope you someday reactivate them?
Old 03-29-2010, 01:53 PM   #8
lessd

Quote:
Yes you can, this is how you do it, open a new TiVo account using any old non activated TiVo, a different E-Mail and address, stop the process before you activate this old TiVo, call TiVo and ask them to move your active TiVos to this new TiVo account, after that log out and then log into your original TiVo account , none of your now active TiVos should be in that account anymore. Now change the name address and E-Mail to anything as it has no more meaning to you, log out of that account then log back into your new TiVo account and change the information to your own address, E-Mail etc. The only thing you will not be able to view the old billing anymore. You may also not be able to use MRV for a few days as your MAK will change.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:55 PM   #9
b_scott
TiVo Fan

I appreciate the idea and post, lessd. I think that's a bit more trouble than I was hoping for. Also, my parents' tivo is also on my account, so that's just too much hassle. Thanks again, though.
Old 03-29-2010, 02:21 PM   #10
curiousgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
Yes you can, this is how you do it, open a new TiVo account using any old non activated TiVo, a different E-Mail and address, stop the process before you activate this old TiVo, call TiVo and ask them to move your active TiVos to this new TiVo account, after that log out and then log into your original TiVo account , none of your now active TiVos should be in that account anymore. Now change the name address and E-Mail to anything as it has no more meaning to you, log out of that account then log back into your new TiVo account and change the information to your own address, E-Mail etc. The only thing you will not be able to view the old billing anymore. You may also not be able to use MRV for a few days as your MAK will change.
Great idea, but it's stupid that customers have to jump through these hoops for something that should be dead-simple to fix. AND, it hits the tivo fanatics hardest since we upgrade every generation. Lame.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge View Post
Great idea, but it's stupid that customers have to jump through these hoops for something that should be dead-simple to fix. AND, it hits the tivo fanatics hardest since we upgrade every generation. Lame.
The billing history may be the main problem from TiVos view, but I don't care about billing from more than year ago. Another advantage if you go through the trouble of doing my way is when you sell your old TiVo it will be gone from your new account after the new owner moves it, it will no longer show anywhere in your new account because the billing will not be in your new account for the old TiVo.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
gturpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
When you sold them, they weren't transferred to the new owner?
I upgraded three of my 6 tivo's and the last tivo I tried to add to the system would never get a name. Reason being that Tivo has max limit of 10 Tivo's on you account. I had 5 tivo's from previous that were in the inactive tivo list which brought the total to 11.

I have been working on this issue with Tivo since Jun this year, the 11th tivo will connect and pull down data and update the program guide. But, no name. It also will not be able to do room to room viewing or transferring.

Finally they made a new account for me, now I have 6 Tivo's and they are connecting and working just fine and they all have a name and a media access key.

There is one issue I'm not to happy about, if you record a movie from HBO or Showtime (Premium Channels) on the Premier it will not allow you to view it or transfer it from another room.

There however is a workaround which they will probably take out soon. You can hook up a DVD recorder to your tivo and tell the tivo to transfer to VHS and record the movie on a DVD.
gturpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
b_scott
TiVo Fan

anyone ever figure out a simple way to fix this?
Old 10-04-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
Tanquen

Was about to ask about this when I found this post. For almost a year TiVo told me that my sold TiVos would be removed from my account it would take a few weeks each time. Now they say:

“After looking over your account, the reason why they remain on your Manage My Account, which is more for a purpose of recording keeping/billing. I do understand this may be inconvenient, but those devices I can tell you are transferred to the new owner, they will just remain on your Manage My Account.”

What?!

Well that sounds really odd as everyone before now has told me that they would be removed. It just seems kind of crazy that TiVo is unable or unwilling to do something so simple and basic as remove a TiVo from someone’s account that no longer owns it. Not to mention that I can see information about TiVos that are not mine. This can’t be correct.
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:00 PM   #15
BigJimOutlaw

It is a little creepy seeing active boxes other than my own showing in my account, especially when they're given names -- like "Darryl" and "Guest Room". I feel like I'm spying.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:01 PM   #16
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
It is a little creepy seeing active boxes other than my own showing in my account, especially when they're given names -- like "Darryl" and "Guest Room". I feel like I'm spying.
Just rename them to something "objectionable" and eventually they'll call TiVo and get it off your account.

dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:24 PM   #17
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

I have this problem, and the list of TiVos I no longer own, is longer than those I do (twice as long).

TiVo made it impossible for new owners to transfer lifetime units I sold, to the buyers' accounts, without me first opening a support ticket for each transfer, then providing that support ticket number to the new owner, to then use, without issue, to transfer (although I still see the names of them, and their TSNs, on my account, but no longer can make changes to them).

One problem remains. One Premiere I sold appears to have went to somebody who either died, or threw it in a closet, then "went off the grid".

Since that transfer never went through, I can still manage the name assigned the TSN, change settings, and view details from the last connection it made here. But, it's clear it has never been online since I unplugged it, and shipped it.

The BIG issue, is that I lost my MSD eligibility, due to the anchor jumping to that unit, and it has failed to connect to the TiVo service.

TiVo lost out on a few new sales to me, since their promos only made sense with MSD applied. I verified that MSD was part of the pricing extended to me in the promos. I've made at least a dozen calls to TiVo, and another dozen email inquiries, opening support tickets for each instance of each type.

The problem I see with the solution lessd provided, is due to the MAK changing. This means terabytes of programming I offloaded to computer storage, using TiVo Desktop, would all be rendered completely unusable to me. I've also seen other nightmares posted, where a CSR suggested doing something that changed the MAK, and/or didn't disclose that would happen, making a change to the MAK, anyway, and very bad things happened. The worst cases I've seen, are where users wound up with mismatched MAKs, and TiVo refused to change them to match again, claiming "it was not possible for them to do so".

If anybody knows the TCF member "videograbber", and has current contact info, please reach out. If you can provide incontrovertible proof they are no longer among the living, or provide, without question, proof they are just off the grid, it would be greatly appreciated.

It has been suggested that some issues I have with my Roamios could be due to a "corrupt" account, and might be fixed by placing them onto a new one. I'd rather not wind up with changed MAK, unless there is no way around it.
Old 10-05-2014, 12:39 AM   #18
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I have this problem, and the list of TiVos I no longer own, is longer than those I do (twice as long).

TiVo made it impossible for new owners to transfer lifetime units I sold, to the buyers' accounts, without me first opening a support ticket for each transfer, then providing that support ticket number to the new owner, to then use, without issue, to transfer (although I still see the names of them, and their TSNs, on my account, but no longer can make changes to them).

One problem remains. One Premiere I sold appears to have went to somebody who either died, or threw it in a closet, then "went off the grid".

Since that transfer never went through, I can still manage the name assigned the TSN, change settings, and view details from the last connection it made here. But, it's clear it has never been online since I unplugged it, and shipped it.

The BIG issue, is that I lost my MSD eligibility, due to the anchor jumping to that unit, and it has failed to connect to the TiVo service.

TiVo lost out on a few new sales to me, since their promos only made sense with MSD applied. I verified that MSD was part of the pricing extended to me in the promos. I've made at least a dozen calls to TiVo, and another dozen email inquiries, opening support tickets for each instance of each type.

The problem I see with the solution lessd provided, is due to the MAK changing. This means terabytes of programming I offloaded to computer storage, using TiVo Desktop, would all be rendered completely unusable to me. I've also seen other nightmares posted, where a CSR suggested doing something that changed the MAK, and/or didn't disclose that would happen, making a change to the MAK, anyway, and very bad things happened. The worst cases I've seen, are where users wound up with mismatched MAKs, and TiVo refused to change them to match again, claiming "it was not possible for them to do so".

If anybody knows the TCF member "videograbber", and has current contact info, please reach out. If you can provide incontrovertible proof they are no longer among the living, or provide, without question, proof they are just off the grid, it would be greatly appreciated.

It has been suggested that some issues I have with my Roamios could be due to a "corrupt" account, and might be fixed by placing them onto a new one. I'd rather not wind up with changed MAK, unless there is no way around it.
The way to move a TiVo off your account:
Set up a fake TiVo account using a inactive TiVo

1) Set up a fake E-Mail account on any E-Mail service, say G-mail, Yahoo etc.
2) Take the address of anyone you know from out of your town, change the street number.
3) Make up any name (not Mickey Mouse)
4) Using the first 6 digits of this person tel number just add 4 random digits to make up a new tel number.
4)go to TiVo.com and do a first time activation of any unused TiVo (This is the one I use 540-0001-D031-FD86)
5) fill out all the information TiVo ask for until you get to the part where you must enter your credit card, at that point close the window.
6) Check out your work by signing back into the account using the E-Mail and some password TiVo asked you to make up, you should be into the new account, no TiVos will show up.
7) Call TiVo and tell them that you want to move your lifetime TiVo into this new account (must be a lifetime TiVo you are moving), tell them you have all the information on this account, and they should move it for you, if TiVo wants the owner of this new account to call and gives you a case number, that OK also.
8) if not moved by step 7 call TiVo as the new customer you just made up and say you want to move a lifetime TiVo to your account and give TiVo your case number, if TiVo asks you for a credit card tell them you don't give out any credit card information unless your purchasing something because of all the hacking that going on and a Lifetime TiVo has no cost for you to move.

This has worked for me forever on many TiVos, after the first one you can use this account to move any more TiVo that you may need to move in the future.

Old 10-05-2014, 02:28 AM   #19
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
The way to move a TiVo off your account:
Set up a fake TiVo account using a inactive TiVo

1) Set up a fake E-Mail account on any E-Mail service, say G-mail, Yahoo etc.
2) Take the address of anyone you know from out of your town, change the street number.
3) Make up any name (not Mickey Mouse)
4) Using the first 6 digits of this person tel number just add 4 random digits to make up a new tel number.
4)go to TiVo.com and do a first time activation of any unused TiVo (This is the one I use 540-0001-D031-FD86)
5) fill out all the information TiVo ask for until you get to the part where you must enter your credit card, at that point close the window.
6) Check out your work by signing back into the account using the E-Mail and some password TiVo asked you to make up, you should be into the new account, no TiVos will show up.
7) Call TiVo and tell them that you want to move your lifetime TiVo into this new account (must be a lifetime TiVo you are moving), tell them you have all the information on this account, and they should move it for you, if TiVo wants the owner of this new account to call and gives you a case number, that OK also.
8) if not moved by step 7 call TiVo as the new customer you just made up and say you want to move a lifetime TiVo to your account and give TiVo your case number, if TiVo asks you for a credit card tell them you don't give out any credit card information unless your purchasing something because of all the hacking that going on and a Lifetime TiVo has no cost for you to move.

This has worked for me forever on many TiVos, after the first one you can use this account to move any more TiVo that you may need to move in the future.
Thank you. I was going to ask (before) "Where does one pull an unused TiVo from, to get an unused TSN from, short of from a box on a store shelf?" But, you have now provided that. I have a couple scrap units around, in my case.

Somebody once posted the login data for an unwanted TiVo dumping account they had made, saving the hassle of making one. If somebody has such a thing, and cares to share, just not with all, please send me a PM. Otherwise, I'll wait a few days, then move forward with creating my own lifetime TiVo dumping account.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:16 AM   #20
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
Just rename them to something "objectionable" and eventually they'll call TiVo and get it off your account.
They are technically off my account and I can't make any changes to them. They still show up in the list though.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:33 AM   #21
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Thank you. I was going to ask (before) "Where does one pull an unused TiVo from, to get an unused TSN from, short of from a box on a store shelf?" But, you have now provided that. I have a couple scrap units around, in my case.

Somebody once posted the login data for an unwanted TiVo dumping account they had made, saving the hassle of making one. If somebody has such a thing, and cares to share, just not with all, please send me a PM. Otherwise, I'll wait a few days, then move forward with creating my own lifetime TiVo dumping account.
I don't want to give out my TiVo dump account as I name each TiVo with the name of the new owner (makes later xfer easer for the new owner if they ever want to move the TiVo, and I uncheck the two boxes so no external use of the TiVo can be made). Also if too many TiVos went into the account that may be a problem, I only have three active ones now, about 50 that have been moved over the years.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:20 PM   #22
jaydro

I went through this the first time a while back, and all I can say is it's quite a way for TiVo to ensure that they never lose any lifetime subscribers, thus helping prop up their reported numbers. :-/
jaydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 09:42 AM   #23
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydro View Post
I went through this the first time a while back, and all I can say is it's quite a way for TiVo to ensure that they never lose any lifetime subscribers, thus helping prop up their reported numbers. :-/
I don't think the account any TiVo is in makes any difference in the " reported numbers" , the TiVo must call in at least once every 6 months to be counted.

Old 10-15-2014, 09:50 AM   #24
jaydro

Quote:
I don't think the account any TiVo is in makes any difference in the " reported numbers" , the TiVo must call in at least once every 6 months to be counted.
Then their policy of not removing junked boxes from accounts is even more baffling.
Old 10-15-2014, 04:11 PM   #25
lessd

Quote:
Then their policy of not removing junked boxes from accounts is even more baffling.
I think it is part of the accounting system TiVo uses for each user, when you active any TiVo it will show up under your Billing History forever, if you purchase (or get) a Lifetime TiVo from another account into your account TiVo will not give you the original billing history of that TiVo, so if you later have that TiVo moved to another account the unit will go away from your account and you will never see it again anyplace on your account page.

If TiVo wants you to have the billing history of every TiVo you ever activated on your account, than this is one way to do that. A few years ago I changed accounts and moved all my active TiVos into that new account, the Media Access Key get changed but it was not so important then, but now the Media Access Key is important, so any move like that would be painful for many TiVo users.

Old 10-15-2014, 04:17 PM   #26
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Do you know what happens if a box hasn't called in to TiVo in several years and then starts calling in again?
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 04:47 PM   #27
jaydro

Quote:
I think it is part of the accounting system TiVo uses for each user [....]
If TiVo wants you to have the billing history of every TiVo you ever activated on your account, than this is one way to do that.
And yet I can still say I find it baffling that I can call up TiVo and tell them that I have disposed of an old TiVo that they no longer supported, that they already told me I would never be able to transfer or get any deal from my lifetime subscription on it, and ask them to remove it from my account, and they tell me that is impossible.
Old 10-15-2014, 10:17 PM   #28
lessd

Quote:
And yet I can still say I find it baffling that I can call up TiVo and tell them that I have disposed of an old TiVo that they no longer supported, that they already told me I would never be able to transfer or get any deal from my lifetime subscription on it, and ask them to remove it from my account, and they tell me that is impossible.
When you say remove the TiVo from your account, tell me what part of the account you are referring to, the TiVos listed on the main page or the TiVos listed under preferences, the place where you can change the name on your TiVo.

Old 10-15-2014, 10:22 PM   #29
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynomo View Post
Do you know what happens if a box hasn't called in to TiVo in several years and then starts calling in again?
It get counted as an active TiVo for ad business of TiVo for the next six months, lifetime TiVos are written off in 3 to 4 years even if they don't call home, after that TiVo accounting calls them active for paying for the guide info and getting money for ads, after 6 months of not calling home TiVo stops paying for the guide data and does not charge for the ads on that TiVo.

Somebody can correct me if I am incorrect