TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-28-2010, 02:15 AM   #121
ggieseke

HD files shouldn't be any different than SD files except for the resolution. Can you post the codecs that work for you on standard files?
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #122
hilaryvm

Right now, the settings are at MPEG-2 Splitter, and InterVideo Audio Mixer for the audio codec. My video codec is currently set at none. There are two options listed, InterVideo video decoder and Microsoft MPEG-2 Video Decoder, and I've tried using both of them, but neither will play the HD videos. I tried playing an HD show again this morning, and I get audio, but no video.

Last edited by hilaryvm : 01-28-2010 at 04:00 PM.
hilaryvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 04:22 AM   #123
ggieseke

I would try changing the demuxer to the MPEG-2 Demultiplexer or none. The MPEG-2 Splitter has been superseded since XP came out.

If you change all three settings to none what does the graph show when you open an HD file, and is it any different from the graph for an SD file?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:57 PM   #124
hilaryvm

Okay, just that one change on the demuxer allowed the video to play. Silly me, I thought that no video was a problem with the video choices. Thanks so much for your help.
hilaryvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 PM   #125
gjs___

HD Playback in TiVo Desktop on an Older PC

I have worked out a codec configuration which can play TiVo HD videos on an older PC, with sufficient quality for previewing (e.g. to verify that TiVo Desktop transferred the files correctly). The PC is a 1.7 GHz single-processor laptop with 2 GB of RAM, running Windows XP Pro SP3, and using my HD TV as an external SVGA monitor.

The codecs supplied with TiVo Desktop Plus (2.7), and several others I tried, use so much CPU that they produce jerky video and/or stuttering audio and/or audio/video out of sync. ggieseke's excellent TDCM program enabled me to try many combinations and configurations. The codecs I ended up with are:

MPEG Demuxer ... MPC - Mpeg Splitter (Gabest) ... Seems fastest by a tad.
Audio Codec ....... AC3 Filter (1.63b) .................. Reliable; as fast as others.
Video Codec ....... ffdshow Video Decoder (Aug 30 2009)

The key trick was to have ffdshow reduce HD image size by 50%, which is very fast and reduces the downstream volume of video data by about 75% (at least in theory). The resulting image size is a bit smaller than my display resolution, and Windows Media Player (11) handles it just fine.

I configured smaller images not to be resized, so SD video resolution is unchanged. Even so, ffdshow seems to reduce SD interlace artifacts.

I have not seen HD resizing described as a technique for reducing CPU load, so I thought it worth mentioning. If there is interest I can post more details.
gjs___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #126
gdomeier

Thanks for this. It solved my codec problem!
gdomeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #127
bardrichmond

ggieseke hits nail on head with AC3 suggestion

Wow, thanks, ggieseke,
The AC3filter totally fixed my TiVo Desktop sound problem with transferred HD files. I should have known it was a Dolby problem from the way the main sound seemed buried underneath background...but no matter, the fix worked great! For anyone else experiencing bad or no sound on Win 7, I found this ac3 dolby codec here:

ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/release (sorry, forum won't let me insert this link as a real link unless I have more posts!)
bardrichmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #128
Simplyconfused

Arrow Problem viewing TiVo videos on Windows Media Center

I recently installed Windows 7 and TD 2.8 (full reformat). At first I couldn't transfer files or view files already on TD's Now Playing list. Thanks to another thread, I've got that licked.

I've always used Windows Media Centre for watching TiVo recordings as it gives me many advantages. However, after the reformat, I found that it only played sound but no video. The screen didn't go black - simply stayed blue. Media Player had no problems with either video or sound.

Thanks to this thread and "ggieseke", I downloaded TDCM and checked the codecs. All were set to "none". Under the video codec there was only one option, ie "Microsoft DTV-DVD video Decoder" with the notation "0X005FFFFF" next to it. I clicked on this and sure enough, I now have video in Media Center. However, the video is jittery and tatty at the edges. Is there another codec that I should look for that would work better.

I have a TiVo series 3 and am running Win 7 Home Premium 32bit

Thanks
Simplyconfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 05:56 PM   #129
danner

conversion trouble

The program from this thread got me back to the point where I can play my tivo programs on my PC, but I am still not able to convert them in any way. I have the Desktop Plus version 2.8. Running XP.

When I first installed the program I could get sound but not picture when playing the tivo files. After a lot of work and trying different things, for one day it worked as it should. They would play fine and I could also convert them. I do not know what changed or why. I restored XP to the date it worked but it still would not work again. I used the program from this thread today and I can get it to play on WM 11 again but still can not get it to convert the files. Any idea what is causing the hang up?

After selecting the type to convert to and clicking convert, I get a pop up box by the Tivo server icon which reads "! Tivo Desktop Conversion Problem" "Could not start the conversion process."

Thank you,

Daniel

Last edited by danner : 03-15-2010 at 06:02 PM. Reason: add information
danner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 08:41 AM   #130
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by danner View Post
The program from this thread got me back to the point where I can play my tivo programs on my PC, but I am still not able to convert them in any way. I have the Desktop Plus version 2.8. Running XP.

When I first installed the program I could get sound but not picture when playing the tivo files. After a lot of work and trying different things, for one day it worked as it should. They would play fine and I could also convert them. I do not know what changed or why. I restored XP to the date it worked but it still would not work again. I used the program from this thread today and I can get it to play on WM 11 again but still can not get it to convert the files. Any idea what is causing the hang up?

After selecting the type to convert to and clicking convert, I get a pop up box by the Tivo server icon which reads "! Tivo Desktop Conversion Problem" "Could not start the conversion process."

Thank you,

Daniel
With 2.8 Plus, you should set all three settings to (none). When you load a .TiVo file it should show MainConcept for the demuxer and A/V codecs.

2.8 doesn't register its codecs with Windows, so even TDCM won't list them in the dropdowns. Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-16-2010, 06:51 PM   #131
danner

Update

Thank you ggieseke for the guidance. I set them all 3 to "none" and when I tried to play a file in your program a windows error report popped up, one of those which says TivoDesktopCodecMgr.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.. etc...

with those changes if I try to play a file from the Desktop Plus it opens the WMP11 but I get a similar "problem" error report pop up window and it will not play. Trying to convert the file I get the same error as before.

I also got this when trying to close the window of your program: DrWatson Postmortem Debugger has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience. (in another XP "Send error Report" pop up)

I usually have to right click on your program window and exit it and then end now. Giving this: You chose to end the nonresponsive program, TiVoDesktopCodecMgr.exe.

Your program shows with "none" selected on all 3.. Directshow Source Filter - output to MainConcept MPEG Demultiplexer that splits to MainConcept Layer II Audio Decoder on the left and MainConcept MPEG-2 Video Decoder on the right.

Let me know if you need any more information or what to try next.

Thank you very much,

Daniel
Old 03-17-2010, 07:52 AM   #132
ggieseke

That's exactly what it should say, so I'm at a loss for an explanation. I'm attaching a screenshot of a 2.8 Plus graph from my XP computer.

Try re-entering your Media Access Key to see if that helps. If not, I would uninstall Desktop using the Remove All option, run the Cleaner utility (http://www.tivo.com/assets/exe/tivot...topCleaner.zip), then reinstall from scratch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 28.jpg (40.0 KB, 44 views)
Old 03-17-2010, 06:09 PM   #133
danner

Still no progress

I used the cleaner, during that process it had an error message that Files.1st could not be found.

After cleaning I tried to reinstall the program and it came up with the repair or remove window.. I did a complete removal. Then I rebooted and reinstalled the Desktop and then added my Plus key. It did not solve the problem. Nothing would play or convert just as before.

Then I opened your program, it came up with an error while opening that there were no MPEG-2 video codecs found. It would not play the files, it froze up when I tried.

How do you handle media access keys when you have more than one Tivo? Could that be part of the problem? The one day it all did work I am pretty sure it converted files from both of them.

I appreciate the help. I am patient in getting this figured out.

Thank you,

Daniel
Old 03-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #134
ggieseke

To run the cleaner you have to unzip all of the files to a temporary directory first and run it from there or you will get that error message.

The message that no MPEG-2 codecs were found is normal if you have 2.8 Plus. It doesn't register the codecs with Windows like earlier versions, but when you load .TiVo files the TiVo DirectShow Source Filter will still find and use the MainConcept codec.

If both of your TiVos are on the same account they should have the same MAK. If they don't for some reason you will have to call customer support to get it straightened out. Files are encrypted using the current MAK at the time of transfer, so only that key can decrypt the files later. Always write it down somewhere safe just in case it gets changed later.

If you weren't getting the "no codec found" message before reinstalling, there were probably files from an earlier installation still hiding on your PC. I would try again (running the cleaner properly this time). You can also use TDCM to view the current MAK that's encoded in the registry by clicking File - View Media Access Key.
Old 03-18-2010, 07:49 PM   #135
danner

No progress

Hello,

I did get the cleaner to work with no errors. After re-installing the desktop, double checking my MAK and Plus code I got the same results. It will not convert. It comes up with an error report window when I try to play it from the desktop or from your program. I did get one thing new, there was also a DrWatson pop up this time after your program locked up. Other than that, nothing has changed, other than I know I had a clean uninstall and the MAK is right.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Daniel
Old 03-19-2010, 06:47 AM   #136
ggieseke

I'm running pretty low on ideas. You could try enabling all of the Desktop logs using the LogFinder utility. Once you turn on logging and reboot, try the conversion again, then run LogFinder a second time to zip up the logs. Transcode.log may give us a clue.

You could also play around with any video acceleration settings in WMP to see if that helps.

If you just want to convert files for a portable device I would check out kmttg.
Old 03-19-2010, 05:45 PM   #137
danner

Conversion

Thank you for the ideas.

Ideally I would like to be able to convert them, edit out commercials and save them in a format I could play on any computer.

I can get it to run fine on my laptop and do what it is suppose to do, but it has a small HD so no room to save the files... lot of extra transferring to put it on the big one.

Let me know what program you would suggest.. I did use the trial version of Video Re-do and it worked alright.. was just looking for a cheaper alternative if there is one.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Daniel
Old 03-20-2010, 10:22 AM   #138
eaayoung

Questions: With Tivo Desktop Plus on a PC, can I burn a DVD disk of a recorded show with my own burner program (i.e.,: Nero or Window's burner)?

Also, how frequently are programs copy protected and will not allow the burn? I have Any DVD installed on the PC if that makes a difference. I also have Brighthouse Central Florida.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #139
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Questions: With Tivo Desktop Plus on a PC, can I burn a DVD disk of a recorded show with my own burner program (i.e.,: Nero or Window's burner)?
Do check out VideoReDo TVSuite. Not cheap, but is the be all, end all for making DVDs from Tivo files. There is a free trial.

A free alternative is to use TivoDecode tools (like TiVo Decoder GUI) and your own DVD authoring software. Not for the timid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaayoung View Post
Also, how frequently are programs copy protected and will not allow the burn? I have Any DVD installed on the PC if that makes a difference. I also have Brighthouse Central Florida.
If a show is copy protected you will not be able to transfer if from the Tivo. So no software on your PC is going to circumvent that.

I can't speak to how often Brighthouse protects their shows. Search on CCI byte.
greg_burns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #140
eaayoung

Thanks for the info. It seems just about everything is flagged by BH just like TW.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:13 PM   #141
dezotl

Thanks, this really helped me. I don't know why today my .tivo files started to LOCK UP windows media player. It worked fine before today. Not sure if it was because I installed direct x 9 today with a game or what. But I messed around with the videocodecs a bit with this program and it seems to have fixed the problem. Before windows media player was hanging... using 99% cpu whenever it could.
dezotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 07:24 PM   #142
klsimswv

thanks for the TDCM - some more questions

I am relieved to have some access again to my downloaded TiVo videos - thanks for the TDCM package.

Question: Am I the only one that cannot enlarge the viewing size? I'm not looking for full-screen necessarily, but the window is so much smaller than before.

I had no problems with Desktop until upgrading to Windows 7, and WMP won't even offer an error code - just immediately says "encountered a problem while playing the file". Question #2: How do I change the settings for my videos so I don't have to do this every time I want to watch one?

Thanks - I am not as savvy as many of the posters, so my apologies for the base level questions.
klsimswv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:18 AM   #143
klsimswv

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickws3 View Post
Thank you for posting this utility! I was having trouble getting my tivo shows to play back properly in both WMP and Media Center. I created my own trouble by experimenting with Blu-ray software players, and of course screwed up the decoder priorities. No amount of playing with merit settings was successful in my case until I tried your utility. Now I have flawless playback once again for my tivo recordings!

It might be a good idea for people to share the decoders that they're using successfully. In my case I'm currently using nvidia audio & video decoders with the Main Concept demux. That combo works fine for both std def and HD playback (without the zoom & other issues I was encountering using the Microsoft provided decoders in Vista Home Premium).

I may play with Cyberlink decoders provided from PowerDVD Ultra at some point, but I don't want to mess with something that's now working for the first time in a long while.

Again thanks! And for those of you experiencing any of the problems documented in this thread, give this utility a try and post your results.
Is it possible for you to explain this again with a few more steps explained. I think if I understood what you are describing it would help me understand my issues better and I could find a solution to my problem (wmp no longer recognizes my .TiVo files - I just upgraded from Vista to Window 7 Enterprise...)

Thanks!
Old 03-27-2010, 10:27 AM   #144
klsimswv

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
With 2.8 Plus, you should set all three settings to (none). When you load a .TiVo file it should show MainConcept for the demuxer and A/V codecs.

2.8 doesn't register its codecs with Windows, so even TDCM won't list them in the dropdowns. Let me know how it goes.
I think you just hit on something that applies to me - I am now running Desktop 8 with Plus, on Windows 7. I get the same message as "danner" when trying to convert .TiVo files and WMP won't play them anymore at all. I do not understand where it is that you changes these settings you mention ("With 2.8 Plus, you should set all three settings to (none). When you load a .TiVo file it should show MainConcept for the demuxer and A/V codecs." Is that when I open a file in TDCM? Sorry for my naivety... thanks for any basic guidance you can offer.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:04 AM   #145
klsimswv

Another question

Quote:
TDCM only affects .TiVo files, so once you convert them to MPEG it has no effect. Try setting your preferred audio codec back to (none) and install ac3filter (). That codec does the trick for most people.
Could you be more specific as to how I would "install ac3filter." I'm wondering if this would be the answer to my issues. I do not mean to be a pest...
Old 03-27-2010, 01:07 PM   #146
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by klsimswv View Post
Could you be more specific as to how I would "install ac3filter." I'm wondering if this would be the answer to my issues. I do not mean to be a pest...
Download and install it.

http://ac3filter.net/projects/ac3filter/releases
Old 03-27-2010, 01:42 PM   #147
klsimswv

Quote:

One more issue - I just discovered that TDCM is not recognizing all of my .TiVo files - I am sometimes getting an error message from "IGraphBuilder." Any thoughts?
Old 03-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #148
klsimswv

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_burns View Post
Thanks greg_burns - I have done that, but then what? I cannot figure how to use it with my .TiVo files.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #149
greg_burns
Now in HD

Quote:
Thanks greg_burns - I have done that, but then what? I cannot figure how to use it with my .TiVo files.
Hmmm. That I do not know. Usually just installing it is enough for those having a problem.

I have a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate, with no additional codecs installed. I have no problems playing decrypted .tivo files. (I guess I have never tried playing the original .tivo files).

I use kmttg to download and decrypt my .tivo files to .mpg.

What happens if you decrypt your files first? Try running Tivo Decoder GUI on one just to see what happens.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:00 AM   #150
ggieseke

Quote:
I think you just hit on something that applies to me - I am now running Desktop 8 with Plus, on Windows 7. I get the same message as "danner" when trying to convert .TiVo files and WMP won't play them anymore at all. I do not understand where it is that you changes these settings you mention ("With 2.8 Plus, you should set all three settings to (none). When you load a .TiVo file it should show MainConcept for the demuxer and A/V codecs." Is that when I open a file in TDCM? Sorry for my naivety... thanks for any basic guidance you can offer.
Yes, that's when you open a .TiVo file in TDCM. Can you post a screen shot of the graph you get when all thress settings are none?