TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-12-2010, 11:46 AM   #91
ghuido

Could the forum moderator make this post a sticky at the top with the pree release and review item. It might help in the long run to stop people from posting question that might already be answered. Just thinking.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 12:25 PM   #92
TVCricket
HDUI

My original question was already answered, but I have one that's related. I plan on cancelling my Directv and using the Premiere to record OTA-HD. Will I need to use IR blasters for this or will the Tivo change the channels by itself?
Old 03-12-2010, 12:43 PM   #93
gweempose

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVCricket View Post

I plan on cancelling my Directv and using the Premiere to record OTA-HD. Will I need to use IR blasters for this or will the Tivo change the channels by itself?
The TiVo has dual built-in ATSC tuners. There is no need for an IR blaster or an external box. Simply hook your antenna up to the TiVo, and you're good to go.
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #94
TVCricket
HDUI

Thanks. Just what I was hoping for.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:10 AM   #95
bkdtv

Full hardware specs are now in the first post.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:22 AM   #96
riekl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Umm, if it really only includes user-scheduled recordings (and immediately subtracts things I delete -- in recently deleted that is), it won't necessarily be 95-100% all the time..

But even if it is, it would still be useful to me, I hope. (Even if it's not, I'll be positive and say that I appreciate them adding it. I still wish it gave *some* kind of approximate time estimate.. but if I can see that knocking off a 1 hour SD show gives me a percent back, then I would likely figure heuristics that X% means 1 hour SD, Y% means 1 hour HD, and so on.)
This is where the disconnect is, why would you EVER need to delete ANYTHING on a Tivo. That's why you don't need a disk space %, it should always be full, you let Tivo manage it.
riekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 11:46 AM   #97
NotVeryWitty
Too Big to Fail

I'm disappointed to see that it's using the same Microtune tuner.

Given that Tivo still hasn't fixed all the problems with the TivoHD tuner, I'm nervous about what problems the Premiere will inherit.
NotVeryWitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 12:55 PM   #98
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotVeryWitty View Post
I'm disappointed to see that it's using the same Microtune tuner.
There's nothing wrong with the Microtune MT2131. It is a popular tuner found in many boxes.

Fault for the analog channel problem lies elsewhere. That part did change in the Premiere.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:52 PM   #99
MichaelK

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl View Post
This is where the disconnect is, why would you EVER need to delete ANYTHING on a Tivo. That's why you don't need a disk space %, it should always be full, you let Tivo manage it.
you dont delete shows once everyone in your fmaily has watched the program?

granted I keep a stack of dora and junk like that for my 3 year old. We might keep a few episodes of lost to "look back" in a couple weeks. But if it's just some sitcom and we've watched it- it goes straight to the trash.

Have to imagine that tivo planned it that way too- since the menu pops up to delete the show when you finish watching it.

Granted I have no use for a space meter- I just slapped on some extenders so i generally dont have to worry. There's some times when I look at the NPL and get concerned that maybe things will get "too full"- like when I'm going on a trip for a week- but unless the guage is going to tell me "at the end of your trip your box will be 95% full of content you scheduled" it's pointless to me.

But not sure why one wouldn't expect people to delete things.
MichaelK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #100
innocentfreak

Hey just in case you didn't see bkdtv, there is a user in the Best Buy thread who has one and is willing to try things if there is anything you can think of assuming you didn't snatch one up yourself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 02:13 AM   #101
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Hey just in case you didn't see bkdtv, there is a user in the Best Buy thread who has one and is willing to try things if there is anything you can think of assuming you didn't snatch one up yourself.
Any pics of the guts floating around???
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 07:15 AM   #102
innocentfreak

Not that I know of. Someone did ask, but the poster didn't want to open it for fear of voiding the warranty.

Old 03-19-2010, 07:43 AM   #103
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by riekl View Post
B/c unless I'm mistaken, the Tivo will by default delete the oldest show and I may be more interested oldest show than I am in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th oldest show. Now technically I'd set KUID for the oldest show, but deleting the less liked shows would have a similar impact. Either way I am manually managing the content based on the fullness of the disk.

There have been at least half a dozen instances of this since I got my first to TiVo 3 years ago. In a couple of instances I noticed that suggestions and recently deleted were empty so I set the KUID in time. In at least 2 instances I forgot to set it and lost the show I preferred over shows I didn't care as much about. Having an easily viewable disk space meter is much easier than having to scroll down to the Suggestions and RD folders (and possibly having to enter those folders to determine the length and quality of those shows).
Scyber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 08:39 AM   #104
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scyber View Post
B/c unless I'm mistaken, the Tivo will by default delete the oldest show and I may be more interested oldest show than I am in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th oldest show. Now technically I'd set KUID for the oldest show, but deleting the less liked shows would have a similar impact. Either way I am manually managing the content based on the fullness of the disk.

There have been at least half a dozen instances of this since I got my first to TiVo 3 years ago. In a couple of instances I noticed that suggestions and recently deleted were empty so I set the KUID in time. In at least 2 instances I forgot to set it and lost the show I preferred over shows I didn't care as much about. Having an easily viewable disk space meter is much easier than having to scroll down to the Suggestions and RD folders (and possibly having to enter those folders to determine the length and quality of those shows).

why scroll down? page down and you're at the bottom in 1 to 2 seconds. Then you can see how many things are in the RD folder. If there are still several items then nothing else will be deleted yet(depending on what will be recorded shortly)
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 09:16 AM   #105
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

I think the only thing I have set to KUID is the HDNet test pattern from 2008. Although I could probably get rid of that in favor of the S-P-S-9-S pattern that I trust more anyway... Everything else is watched within a day or two, or within a week of recording.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #106
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
why scroll down? page down and you're at the bottom in 1 to 2 seconds. Then you can see how many things are in the RD folder. If there are still several items then nothing else will be deleted yet(depending on what will be recorded shortly)
I do use page down. My apologies for improper terminology. That doesn't change my statement that having a space indicator at the top of the interface is easier than having to page down to the bottom of the list to determine the disk usage. Especially since that "couple of seconds" adds up if you have to do it ever time you use the TiVo.

However, my post was more about describing a scenario where manually manage is necessary. rield never saw a scenario where you would need to manually manage disk space. I was commenting that I have run into a couple of times over the years.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:47 AM   #107
Scyber
Former ReplayTV User

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
I think the only thing I have set to KUID is the HDNet test pattern from 2008. Although I could probably get rid of that in favor of the S-P-S-9-S pattern that I trust more anyway... Everything else is watched within a day or two, or within a week of recording.
Most of the time I watch shows within 24 hours of recording (many shows are watched the same night). Where I have run into issues in the past was during the Football & Holiday season (Thanksgiving & Christmas) where I have less time for TV and I often record football games.

I realize I could solve part of this issue by upgrading the harddrive. But in reality, a show getting deleted does not upset me that much (there are plenty of other ways to get shows) so I haven't gone down that path yet. I was merely pointing out that in some cases manual management may be necessary and letting "tivo manage the disk" doesn't work.
Old 03-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #108
Rucker

bkdtv, you might want to note that although Tivo Premieres obtained via RCN will be able to view VOD, retail units will not.

Quote:
If you want to access to RCN VOD and all the free content and such you must get a TiVo from us. If you pick one up at Best Buy you will will be on the retail software load that will NOT access RCN VOD.
from dslreports.com's RCN forum.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #109
PhiTauBill

Update on expected ship date?

Anything more concrete than early April?
PhiTauBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 03:51 PM   #110
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhiTauBill View Post
Asking once in a thread is sufficient. No need for the same question in 3 different ones.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #111
PhiTauBill

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeboy View Post
Asking once in a thread is sufficient. No need for the same question in 3 different ones.
My apologies for the breach of etiquette.. several of them didn't have recent posts, so I was concerned that I might be posting to dead ends... I'll proceed with another 7 years of silence as it seems that I don't have much to add.
PhiTauBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:43 AM   #112
Unseen Llama

Quote:
My apologies for the breach of etiquette.. several of them didn't have recent posts, so I was concerned that I might be posting to dead ends... I'll proceed with another 7 years of silence as it seems that I don't have much to add.
You're funny.
Unseen Llama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #113
cburbs

Tivo HD vs Tivo Premier

Key questions –

What are the key differences between the two that would make the upgrade worth it?

Will there be noticeable differences with transfer speeds if I use KMTTG?

Is there still the 1gb buffer issue with Streambaby?

Can I upgrade the 320gb hard drive in it like I did with my Tivo HD?
Will the internal hard drive be upgradable like past TiVos?

The TiVo Premiere is not compatible with the current version of WinMFS or Mfslive. The author of WinMFS has expressed an interest in upgrading those tools to support the TiVo Premiere.

cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:45 AM   #114
jmpage2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Tivo HD vs Tivo Premier

Key questions –

What are the key differences between the two that would make the upgrade worth it?

Can I upgrade the 320gb hard drive in it like I did with my Tivo HD?
Will the internal hard drive be upgradable like past TiVos?

The TiVo Premiere is not compatible with the current version of WinMFS or Mfslive. The author of WinMFS has expressed an interest in upgrading those tools to support the TiVo Premiere.
These questions have all been answered already in this FAQ or in the reviews that just hit the internet.
jmpage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #115
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
Tivo HD vs Tivo Premier

Key questions –

The review below answers those questions in detail.

TiVo Premiere review with benchmarks (PDF)

TiVo Premiere vs. TiVoHD download performance (Youtube video of kmttg)
Old 03-25-2010, 12:03 PM   #116
cburbs

Ok just found those answers - thanks.....
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 01:47 PM   #117
BlackBetty
I <3 TiVo!

Quote:
TiVo.com is now showing shipping on March 29th.

I believe Bestbuy in store purchases is March 28th and shipping on the 29th.

Amazon is showing a release date of March 28th.
BlackBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #118
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

bkdtv: Have you used the new box with all of the extraneous search crap (IMO) turned off? By this mean only allowing the box to return results for TV. If yes, is the speed, and overall usability, enhanced?
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #119
innocentfreak

Did we ever find out about how to switch between multiple TiVo Premieres in the same room?

Old 03-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #120
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
Did we ever find out about how to switch between multiple TiVo Premieres in the same room?
I did not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCIFRTHS View Post
bkdtv: Have you used the new box with all of the extraneous search crap (IMO) turned off? By this mean only allowing the box to return results for TV. If yes, is the speed, and overall usability, enhanced?
As far as I can tell, the "Video Provider" selection is no longer available in the current software. I don't think it was actually functional in the older software, and I'm guessing it isn't implemented for release. You can turn off Amazon, Netflix, etc content in search, but it still shows up through the Browse TV category selections.

Even if you could turn it off, I'm not sure it would make a difference. The TiVo still pulls all the poster images and graphics for recorded TV programs and TV suggestions overs the Internet, and there doesn't appear to be any caching at all. Navigate down one selection, go back, and the original selection has to reload from the Internet. If caching to the memory or hard drive isn't possible, then I wonder if TiVo might be wise to offer a "non poster" mode where more program information (i.e. text) is substituted for the images.

As an aside, buffering in Netflix seems about twice as fast as the TiVo HD after trickplay actions such as instant replay, rewind, and fast forward. Network Diagnostics doesn't report Netflix throughput, so I have no easy way to "benchmark" it, short of buying a DD-WRT capable router with a real-time bandwidth monitor.

Last edited by bkdtv : 03-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.