TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2008, 09:54 AM   #421
bhspub

Quote:
Originally Posted by azitnay View Post
I'm using WPA with one of my TiVos, so it definitely works, and I believe WPA2 is supposed to work as well... I've lost track, but I guess it's possible there were some WPA fixes somewhere between 7.5 and 9.3, so I'd recommend trying again now that you have the newer software.

So, I'd recommend:

1) Leave the router where it is until you get it working via wireless.

2) Try WPA2 and N, G, & B mode.

3) If that doesn't work, try WPA2 and G-only mode.

4) If that doesn't work, try WPA and G-only mode.

Drew
Heh! Stupid me, I didn't even think of leaving the router there and testing it with wireless before moving..
bhspub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:00 AM   #422
bhspub

Update: It worked like a charm, so there must be some wireless fixes between 7.5 and 9.3 for sure. I used WPA2 only, mixed N & G mode, and TIVO picked up everything just dandy on the first try.
bhspub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:15 PM   #423
Wesley313

Sorry if this has already been asked.. but i just bought the tivo 802.11 b/g wireless adapter. I have a direct tv tivo box. i guess that i can only get up to version 6.4a right now because when ever i try to get it to connect with dvr services it fails.... but from what i understand, if your box's serial number starts with 151 then there is no hope for you? Or can i make this work? Thanks, Wes
Wesley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:12 AM   #424
azitnay

DirecTV units' USB ports aren't enabled by default... Without hacking, there's no way to use an ethernet adapter with these units.

Drew
azitnay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:25 PM   #425
Wesley313

So, do they plan on enabling the usbs? or am i for lack of a better term, screwed....
Wesley313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #426
azitnay

I wouldn't count on it... DirecTV units have more or less been abandoned, development-wise. No one to blame but DirecTV on that front, though.

Drew
Old 07-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #427
lexsar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeButler View Post

I recently switched to Comcast VOIP for phone service, and now my TIVO won't recognize the wireless info transfer. Comcast said there is a difference in the frequencies, directional versus static? Any suggestions on how to bypass or input the proper info so that I can get on with my TIVO life?
FWIW - I have two Tivo Series2's. #1 is hardwired into my network, #2 is wireless using a Tivo branded wireless adapter. I switched my phone service to Comcast VoIP about 9 months ago and have never had any issues with the wireless connection.

BTW: I did go through a couple of "compatible" wireless adapters before giving up and going with the Tivo branded wireless adapter.
1 - Tivo Premiere XL4 - Unmodded
1 - HTPC (homebrew) running Win7 Ultimate
lexsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #428
BTDFXD

Help with wireless networking

Appreciate any help/suggestions. About 5 days ago, added a used series 2 single tuner to my network which currently has 2 series 2 DT, notebook and desktop. All Tivos have Tivo wireless G adaptors. Router is Trendnet. On initial setup, all went well with connections but I did get an IP conflict message on my desktop. Tried some solutions from the net and that disappeared. All was well until "new" Tivo was dropped from network. Went through all the diagnostics I could find and the one that worked was disconnecting/reconnecting wireless adaptor on new unit (which initiated a reboot on the Tivo). This solved the connection problem for the moment but I'm guessing it will reoccur. Interestingly, when looking at network connection status/history on the recently added Tivo, it received an update sucessfully Saturday am but failed Sunday am. When going through the reset procedure, I got N2 message, no DCHP (?) server found. Removing/reinstalling the wireless adaptor with reboot solved the problem for the time being. Be most grateful for any advice on how to permanently fix. Many thanks.
BTDFXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 05:58 PM   #429
rcobourn
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTDFXD View Post
Appreciate any help/suggestions. About 5 days ago, added a used series 2 single tuner to my network which currently has 2 series 2 DT, notebook and desktop. All Tivos have Tivo wireless G adaptors. Router is Trendnet. On initial setup, all went well with connections but I did get an IP conflict message on my desktop. Tried some solutions from the net and that disappeared. All was well until "new" Tivo was dropped from network. Went through all the diagnostics I could find and the one that worked was disconnecting/reconnecting wireless adaptor on new unit (which initiated a reboot on the Tivo). This solved the connection problem for the moment but I'm guessing it will reoccur. Interestingly, when looking at network connection status/history on the recently added Tivo, it received an update sucessfully Saturday am but failed Sunday am. When going through the reset procedure, I got N2 message, no DCHP (?) server found. Removing/reinstalling the wireless adaptor with reboot solved the problem for the time being. Be most grateful for any advice on how to permanently fix. Many thanks.
It's a good bet one of the devices on your network, could be any of them, has been configured with a fixed IP address, rather than using DHCP. When you added the new device, it received through DHCP the same address configured in the old device. Check your desktop, laptop, and both other tivo's network settings. Your router probably also offers a DHCP client table. Any device not in that table is likely your culprit.
rcobourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 10:47 AM   #430
DFWDave

S2 (240 model) wireless adapter not found

I took a S2 Tivo that I have that is about 4 years old and had been using with a wired ethernet adapter and sent it to my dad as I had pretty much stopped using it. It was working perfectly.

I cleared all off the programming on the unit and set it up specifically for my dad's cable provider and digital cable box brand, etc. I also acquired a DLink wireless adapter from someone who had been using that very adapter with a S2 Tivo but didn't need it any longer. I fully tested the DLink adapter on my wireless network before shipping, making sure that the guide information downloaded properly and that WEP encryption was programmed correctly (set up my wireless with same SSID and WEP key as my dad's to try to make it "plug and play").

Anyway, when he gets the unit and plugs everything in, there is no light on the DLink adapter, and the Tivo setup screens say that no adapter is found. No amount of having him plug and unplug the adapter or cycling power on the Tivo seemed to help.

I then had him buy a Tivo branded wireless G adapter (AG0100). When he plugged that in, the light on the adapter comes on, but the Tivo still claims that no adapter is found.

His router isn't even an issue at this point since I can't get the Tivo to see the adapter.

His guide data is current since the last connection that was made before I shipped it on Nov 10, so I'm hoping to find him a solution (remotely since he's 650+ miles away) before this Tivo becomes useless. Long term, using a phone connection is not realistic, plus this is a 2nd Tivo and I want him to be able to use the home networking options between the units.
DFWDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #431
youbetcha58

I am trying to connect to TIVO 2, with a D LINK DIR-615 N. Not having any luck, it says DHCP missing. Any help would be appreciated.
youbetcha58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #432
azitnay

Are you connecting the TiVo via wireless or wired? In either case, what network adapter are you using (or in the case of an S2DT, are you using the built-in wired ethernet port)?

Drew
Old 01-27-2009, 07:08 PM   #433
nogee

Old Series 2, single tuner

This morning as I left for work I noticed that my wireless adapter was blinking. I reset the TiVo, and it was still blinking and no connection to the TiVo. I recently hooked up our Wii to the router but I don't think that caused the outage.

I'll have to troubleshoot it tonight.

My questions:

I want to get an 802.11G router so that I can improve my data transfer within the house with other devices. I'm assuming that I should get the TiVo adapter and get a router that is on their approved list. I'm assuming that this is still at the 802.11B speed but will work with the 802.11G router? My TiVo service number starts with 540.

Am I correct?

Thanks in advance for any advice

UPDATE: I restored all network settings and service was restored. I see from TiVo's site that their adapter is a G, so if I want to improve data transfer I'd have to get their adapter with one of the approved routers. I guess the standard adapter for the particular router may not work with TiVo?

Last edited by nogee : 01-27-2009 at 09:35 PM.
nogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 07:53 PM   #434
StanDaMan

thanks for the tips
StanDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 11:24 PM   #435
globosy

hi

thanks for the tips too

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
globosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #436
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks for the tips. I wish I understood them. I have a series 2 and a linksys for wireless. I lost network connection for the 3rd time in 2 years. I have friends that I called to help me but I am tired of calling them and feeling stupid. Last time this happened I found an unprotected wireless and piggybacked on that to get my 'to do's' updated. That was about two months ago.

The problem is that when I go to the menu and go to settings/network/ I don't see my linksys name up there to choose from.

Does this mean that I need to go back to the linksys box and do something? Start from scratch to get tivo to recognize my system? When this happened last year my friend that fixed it didn't call the network by any special named, he just named Linksys and it wasn't password encrypted. I don't know why it keeps losing it's connection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 11:49 AM   #437
help

Tivo only goes to channel 100. Is that right?

Please forgive me if Iím posting in the wrong area. I have a Tivo 2 DT and I read all the "cons" about this unit. I have the coax running directly into the unit without a cable box. The channels are only go up to 100 no matter what I do. This is the first Tivo I ever owned. Any help on how to get to the next hundred channels would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
help is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #438
azitnay

This is definitely not the correct thread for your question, but I'll answer anyway... Channels over 100 are typically digital-only, which means to get them on a Series2 you'll need a cable box.

Drew
Old 02-01-2010, 10:41 PM   #439
Bluegreenstars

I'm a noob to tivo. I see this thread is about wireless connections. Does that mean you don't have to have a phoneline to use tivo?
Bluegreenstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #440
cybermema

newbie to tivo wireless ?

Welcome, right you don't need a phone if you have a wireless network. You can purchase a wireless adapter for your TIVO and connect to your home network. Bestbuy has them and Tivo has them for sale. There are alos other adapters that will work but you need to go to Tivo and find the ones that work with it. I just did an Ebay search and and Amazon one for a Tivo adapter and I can get one for 1/2 price. Good luck, you'll enjoy Tivo I'm sure, I now have three of them. lol
cybermema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 12:43 AM   #441
cybermema

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Welcome, right you don't need a phone if you have a wireless network. You can purchase a wireless adapter for your TIVO and connect to your home network. Bestbuy has them and Tivo has them for sale. There are alos other adapters that will work but you need to go to Tivo and find the ones that work with it. I just did an Ebay search and and Amazon one for a Tivo adapter and I can get one for 1/2 price. Good luck, you'll enjoy Tivo I'm sure, I now have three of them. lol
cybermema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #442
geltdrakken

generally piggybacking is unreliable and signals fade. thats why it keeps dropping.
geltdrakken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #443
Biplane

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexsar View Post
FWIW - I have two Tivo Series2's. #1 is hardwired into my network, #2 is wireless using a Tivo branded wireless adapter. I switched my phone service to Comcast VoIP about 9 months ago and have never had any issues with the wireless connection.

BTW: I did go through a couple of "compatible" wireless adapters before giving up and going with the Tivo branded wireless adapter.
If you do not mind, how do you get a S2 Tivo unit hooked up directly to the network? I do not have a Cat 5 port on mine, only two USB ports and thats it. Would love to be able to plug a Cat 5 cable into mine!

Thx,

Joe
Biplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 05:11 PM   #444
azitnay

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/405

Drew
Old 03-11-2010, 06:22 PM   #445
Biplane

Drew,

Thanks and what does it do, plug into the USB port or telephone cable port?

Never mind, just looked it up and it goes into the USB port.

Thx,

Last edited by Biplane : 03-11-2010 at 06:52 PM.
Biplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #446
Beachbum55

Wireless security options for Series2

I've got a Series2 with a Wireless B USB adapter that is connected to a Wireless N router.

I want to change the security level of the Wireless N router, as I'm currently only using WEP (I know, bad news).

Can I use WPA2/AES with the Series2 and a Wireless B USB adapter on an N network?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Beachbum55 : 04-04-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Beachbum55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #447
bkpriceiwug

Help with setting up TiVo on wireless network in Germany!

I had my TiVo working in the States via the same set-up except that I had a cable modem. Now I'm in Germany and I'm trying to do the initial set-up and I keep getting stuck on the network page. Without getting past this page, I can't even watch live TV through the TiVo and have to completely disconnect everything.

Here's what I've got:
Linksys Wireless-G Broad Band Router WKPC54G
T-Mobile Speedport 201 modem
TiVo Brand AG0100
TiVo Series 2 DT
PC connects to router through network cable (username/password)
2x Laptops connect wirelessly (username/password)
iPhone connects wireless (username/password ONLY for network)

Windows XP (SP3) on PC and both laptops

ISP (TKS-net, German version of T-mobile "Deutche Telekom") Broadband DSL server requires username and password
ISP does not require a DHCP Server ID

No firewall on Linksys
WEP enabled (but looks like a good connection) and I've tried entering the key in both formats (toggle via "info" button) doesn't seem to matter.
Signal strength 84-100% but most recently, I've got it sitting right next to the router for a 100% signal strength on all tries.

Even when I plug a network cable from the TiVo directly to the Linksys, I get an N13 error. Plugging directly into the modem results in an unresolvable error.

Based on what I've been reading in these and other forums, I finally figured out that I needed to set my Linksys router to PPPoE and to give it my TKS username and password. On the Linksys status page, it says 'connected' but my laptops still require that I connect via the TKS connection with username and password and not just connect to my home network. When I try to setup the TiVo, I get to the "Does your DHCP erver require a DHCP Server ID?" I answer No and eventually get an error N13.

Obvioulsy when I select "disabled" for the Linksys option regarding Local DHCP Server, I get an N02 (No DHCP Server) error.

Firewall ports opened on Desktop and on ISP connection on computer and the ISP says that they don't have any of the ports in the firewall closed.

I thought I needed to convert the Speedport 201 to a bridge to make the PPPoE connection on the router work, but according to the ISP, who supplied the Speedport 201, it is just a simple modem and doesn't need to be converted to a bridge.

I thought I had tried everything but I am still stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have contacted the TiVo help chat and my ISP help line multiple times but neither can help me resolve. My Linksys is so hold, they don't even support it anymore!

Where am I going wrong?
bkpriceiwug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 05:21 AM   #448
rosekaka

really helpful info , thanks for sharing

rosekaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:27 AM   #449
masakas

I will try this later
it looks good

masakas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:20 PM   #450
josie2

Tivo HD with Wireless N Network Adapter and Airport Expess

Hello,

I was hoping to get some guidance on setting up Wireless N adapter with my Airport Express. (The AE is connected to cable modem).

I had no problem getting the Tivo HD box to connect to tivo service with Wireless G adapter, but couldn't get through 5 minutes of watching Netflix on demand and figured I would upgrade the adapter. Now I can't watch anything or get past the N13 error page during setup.

I saw previously here on the forum that if you are using DHCP, then this "open ports" issue is moot.

I already played "pass the buck" with tivo, time warner and apple support and got the daisy chain of runaround.

Has anyone found a simple solution to fixing this? HELP!!
josie2 is offline   Reply With Quote