Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 03-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatEllis15 View Post
That's how a typical set up works, but there are plenty of other components out there that do NOT pass audio on the HDMI line. Most do though, that is why I was looking for clarification.

Do you know with certainty that the TIVO HDMI carries audio? Not a deal breaker, just curious....

Pat E
Even my HDTiVo from 2004 with DirecTV carried audio over the HDMI.
Every device I use with my TVs have HDMI. They all carry audio and video.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:14 PM   #32
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
[*]What changes were made to the remotes?

The Premiere remote takes the layout and design of the premium "Glo" remote and adds four additional buttons (yellow, blue, red, green); these act as shortcuts for various options in the user interface.

The remote included with the TiVo Premiere has no backlight or IR learning capability, whereas the remote included with the Premiere XL does offer those features.
It also appears that none of the remotes have the DVR switch still so it may no longer be possible to control two Tivos with the same remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:24 PM   #33
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
It also appears that none of the remotes have the DVR switch still so it may no longer be possible to control two Tivos with the same remote.
If I get a premiere I may likely just use my old peanut remote with a 1-2 switch to control it - all the extra buttons do is shortcuts anyway.

Now when the qwerty keyboard remote comes out - I may have to rethink things or just keep track of two remotes (grumble)
Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 PM   #34
innocentfreak

True but new remote is new lol. Also I may like the Glo better since I will probably go with the XL on the off chance upgrading the drives will be an option later rather than sooner.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #35
tootal2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 View Post
My TiVo HD pulls around 45 watts, so if I replaced it with this box then I would save about 178kwh per annum or about $18 a year in electric costs.

Box could pay for itself in only about 15 years!
I have 3 tivos so it would save me alot more. but would not make up for the price of buying it. My desktop pc uses 130 watts when using windows media center. so using a tivo is cheaper.
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:37 AM   #36
T1V0

http://www.broadcom.com/products/IPT...utions/BCM7413
T1V0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 12:39 AM   #37
T1V0

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_auer View Post
Does anyone know if I can use MRV between this new Tivo and my Directivo Series 2 receivers.
no
T1V0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:10 AM   #38
kb7oeb

I would like to see a shot of the EPG, haven't seen one anywhere.
kb7oeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 01:44 AM   #39
bareyb
Under Maintenance

TC CLUB MEMBER
I have two questions if anyone knows...

1. I saw somewhere it has a button for 30 second skip. Does that mean it's now a standard feature and doesn't have to be enabled via backdoor?

2. It has HDMI 1.3. Does it use the same HDMI cables as 1.1 on the Series 3? My cables are already run under the house and it would be a drag to change them...
Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 AM   #40
yukit

I wonder if the regular Premiere's internal hard drive upgrade would still be limited to 1TB with WinMFS.

I want 2TB, so this is going to decide whether I will get a Premiere or XL.
XL 658
S2 540
yukit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:57 AM   #41
TWinbrook46636

Made in Alviso, May 5th, 2009

That's what it says on the back of the TiVo Premier in the rear panel product shot on page 1.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:59 AM   #42
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
I have two questions if anyone knows...

1. I saw somewhere it has a button for 30 second skip. Does that mean it's now a standard feature and doesn't have to be enabled via backdoor?
The new 30 second "slip" (TiVo calls it 30 second "scan") is a standard feature.

I don't know if you've ever used a DirecTV DVR, but by default, the skip button on those DVRs doesn't jump 30 seconds. Instead, it scans through the 30 seconds very quickly, which is more friendly to advertisers. You can queue multiple slips, so if you hit the slip button four times in a row, the Premiere scans through 120 seconds quickly. At any time, you can interrupt the scan with play. For a demo, see 4:45 in the Engadget video.

TiVo told others that it was still possible to enable the traditional 30 sec skip. AFAIK, they have not said whether this would be via a menu option, or require some sort of backdoor code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bareyb View Post
2. It has HDMI 1.3. Does it use the same HDMI cables as 1.1 on the Series 3?
Yes.

Last edited by bkdtv : 03-04-2010 at 06:45 AM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:08 AM   #43
tivogurl

Does this thing really have a BCM7413 in it? The BCM7413 page doesn't mention hardware Flash acceleration. This machine is way too slow to handle Flash in software. I know TiVo tends to be obnoxiously cheap (witness the lack of GigE), but if they really tried to save a few bucks by not using an SoC with Flash acceleration they've entered the Bleep Bleep zone.
tivogurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 08:38 AM   #44
b3ar

The new QWERTY Peanut (Q-Peanut? BT Peanut?) looks a bit smaller than the standard peanut. I'm curious whether other BT keyboards can be used/paired with the Premiere?

TiVo Premiere XL
TivoHD - 750GB (98 HD hours) - thanks, Spike2k5 and WinMFS!
b3ar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:22 AM   #45
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by innocentfreak View Post
You could still do it "old school" like with the Series 1 boxes.

Quote:
go to TiVo Central by pressing the TiVo button. Go to the System Information screen. Press the DOWN arrow until you see the item Remote Address. Press and hold the PAUSE and TiVo buttons simultaneously until the red light at the end of the remote control comes on, remains steady, and then stays on when you release the buttons. Point the remote control at DVR#1. Use the number buttons on the remote control to enter a number 1. Press the RIGHT arrow. On the screen, the Remote Address changes from 0 to 1. Press the TiVo button.
To switch TiVo's later, just hold Pause and TiVo until the red light comes on, then press the number (1-8) that you assigned to each TiVo.

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #46
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by b3ar View Post
The new QWERTY Peanut (Q-Peanut? BT Peanut?) looks a bit smaller than the standard peanut. I'm curious whether other BT keyboards can be used/paired with the Premiere?
It's too early to know that.

Recall that the TiVo Premiere doesn't have Bluetooth built-in. The new QUERTY remote includes a Bluetooth USB dongle that connects to the back of the TiVo. This potentially allows TiVo to support the new remote on existing TiVos.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:52 AM   #47
Aero 1

Quote:
It's too early to know that.

Recall that the TiVo Premiere doesn't have Bluetooth built-in. The new QUERTY remote includes a Bluetooth USB dongle that connects to the back of the TiVo. This potentially allows TiVo to support the new remote on existing TiVos.
im wondering if the BT Peanut will have IR also. do you know? i have one of my S3 and the TV controlled by the penut, i want to get the qwerty but it has to have IR in order for me to control my TV with it also.
Aero 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:00 AM   #48
mchief
Morey

bkdtv: Don't you just love copying your previous information into questions from folks that won't or can't bother to read what has already been posted/answered?
Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 AM   #49
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
You could still do it "old school" like with the Series 1 boxes.

To switch TiVo's later, just hold Pause and TiVo until the red light comes on, then press the number (1-8) that you assigned to each TiVo.
took my family a month to realize there was a 1-2 switch and to the left or 1 controlled the tivo on the left which was on TV input 1
and to the right or 2 controlled the tivo to the right or on TV input 2.

having them press buttons to change a number they can not see. Nope - not happening.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #50
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
took my family a month to realize there was a 1-2 switch and to the left or 1 controlled the tivo on the left which was on TV input 1

having them press buttons to change a number they can not see. Nope - not happening.
You need a smarter family.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:20 AM   #51
MickeS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post

If you have more than one TiVo and want to control them with the same remote, a universal remote is really the way to go.
MickeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:36 AM   #52
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
I saw the CableCard/M-CARD discussion... but is there any change to cable-from-the-wall operation? Will I have to have a splitter for the two tuners? (Sorry if this is a basic question... my current TiVos are all S2-one-tuner models)

Come join us October 5-12, 2014!
martinp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #53
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinp13 View Post
I saw the CableCard/M-CARD discussion... but is there any change to cable-from-the-wall operation? Will I have to have a splitter for the two tuners? (Sorry if this is a basic question... my current TiVos are all S2-one-tuner models)
I updated the first post as below:

Quote:
As a dual-tuner DVR, the TiVo Premiere will simultaneously record two different HD channels while you watch a previously recorded show; it also allows you to watch one live HD channel while you record another. The Premiere has separate cable and antenna inputs, and will record any combination of two channels regardless of source. Only a single coax feed is required, as the signal is split internally to support two tuners.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #54
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
The S2DT, Series 3, TiVoHD/XL and Premier all have internal splitters for cable. No need for extra hardware.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:56 AM   #55
ascuser

It says that the SD interface is still an option at "blazing speed." Does anyone know if this is truly a fact? I have a Tivo HD I just bought still in the box, and was going to return it and upgrade to the premiere until I saw the horribly slow interface on engadget. If it is really going to be that bad, it would be a deal breaker. A blazing fast SD interface would be awesome if it actually was an option, and not just a turtle slow copy of the SD interface flash-rendered to appease us old-folk. Honestly, I can't believe anyone that has used the tivo for a month would settle for a painfully slow fancy interface over one that actually responded. I still miss the days when I first got my first Series 2 and how fast it was before numerous "updates."
ascuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 02:51 PM   #56
PedjaR

Quote:
TiVo told others that it was still possible to enable the traditional 30 sec skip. AFAIK, they have not said whether this would be via a menu option, or require some sort of backdoor code.
May want to include this info in the first post, old users would likely prefer the traditional 30 sec. skip.
PedjaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 10:37 PM   #57
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I updated the first post as below:

"As a dual-tuner DVR, the TiVo Premiere will simultaneously record two different HD channels while you watch a previously recorded show; it also allows you to watch one live HD channel while you record another. The Premiere has separate cable and antenna inputs, and will record any combination of two channels regardless of source. Only a single coax feed is required, as the signal is split internally to support two tuners."
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
The S2DT, Series 3, TiVoHD/XL and Premier all have internal splitters for cable. No need for extra hardware.
Thank you both! My cable doesn't do HD (hence no cable box/cards), but I can get OTA HD. So I guess I will use both inputs and it will pick one to use to record? Can I tell it which tuner to use? (ie, record Survivor in HD but NASCAR in SD)

Old 03-04-2010, 10:38 PM   #58
martinp13
YHTBMABIITY

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedjaR View Post
May want to include this info in the first post, old users would likely prefer the traditional 30 sec. skip.
I would expect the same old backdoor code... no person/company has ever complained that it exists because it's pretty much undocumented.

Old 03-04-2010, 10:39 PM   #59
bkdtv

Quote:
Thank you both! My cable doesn't do HD (hence no cable box/cards), but I can get OTA HD. So I guess I will use both inputs and it will pick one to use to record? Can I tell it which tuner to use? (ie, record Survivor in HD but NASCAR in SD)
The OTA and cable channels are seamlessly integrated into a single guide. There's no input switching or input selection required.

Season passes are channel specific. A season pass created on a OTA HD channel will record from that channel, while a season pass created on a cable SD channel will record from that channel. The Premiere can record two OTA channels, two cable channels, or one of each at the same time.
Old 03-05-2010, 03:30 AM   #60
DCIFRTHS
I dumped SDV / cable

Quote:
I clarified. AFAIK, there is no upconversion available for 1080p. Rather, TiVo added native output for 1080p24 and 1080p30 content, rather than converting it to 1080i. ...

I am officially confused - go easy on me because I am by far an expert in this area. I also understand that you may not yet have the information to answer my questions. If you don't, just say so

I understand passing through 1080p24, for film, but isn't all HD video shot at 1080p60? If so, isn't TiVo essentially discarding half of the frames which will be doubled / reproduced at the display device? If this is not the case, what am I missing?

How does the 7413 SoC compare to other scaling / deinterlacing solutions currently available (ABT 2010, SoC in TiVo S3)?

Will the new TiVo have native "pass-through" mode, in addition to selectable, fixed, output resolutions? Any idea if there will be a "smart" 1080p mode that only passes 1080p24 or 1080p30, based on the source?

Do you know if this 7413 Broadcom SoC is used in any other STBs yet?

Thanks!
DCIFRTHS is offline   Reply With Quote