TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 PM   #7171
Kevin R

Well, a "real" Comcast tech showed up today, and got it working.
Was here about 30-40 minutes, and didn't seem to rush at all. I signed up for the digital preferred with HD, and should get everything in HD that I get in SD (if they carry it).
Still missing some of said HD, and it doesn't seem to be a whole tier missing, just a dozen or so across the board. Had them hit it tonight, but still the same. Will call tomorrow and see where we get. Still hoping billing goes smoothly.
By the way, what numbers should I be seeing? On signal strength I get high 90s on regular channels, but anywhere from 50-70 on the HD 400-500 channels. SNR around 30.

Kevin R
Knoxville
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:12 PM   #7172
Kevin R

Just an update on the missing channels. They are sending another truck out tomorrow.
So far my experience seems to be following the path of the other mishaps I've read in this thread.

UPDATE:They tried a reset, and now I'm missing all but local HD, and much of the standard line up.
Arghh!

Kevin R
Knoxville

Last edited by Kevin R : 02-26-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 04:48 PM   #7173
TrAvELAr

Well, the fun began in Baltimore, MD today. I purchased a new S3 Tivo in January, and today is 3 days shy of 4 weeks from the date I set the appointment. Tech arrived about 10 minutes after the start of the appointment window and immediately looked confused as he approached my Tivo. I showed him where the card went and he called it in. Not all channels were appearing, but he was told they could take up 24 hours to show. Then he grabbed his stuff and left. I called Comcast who was supposed to call the tech and get another truck roll out here. Nothing, and that was 4 hours ago. I just got off the phone with Comcast again and they have escalated the issue. I asked if we could try re-pairing it and I was told I'd have to wait for the tech supervisor to call me back.

I'm not holding my breath. For the record, I'm not receiving any HD channels that are not network channels.
TrAvELAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #7174
iontyre

I'm in Baltimore area too (Harford County). My cablecard is giving me most of my HD channels, all the analog channels, but only a few of the non-HD digital channels. And it refuses to acknowledge the authorization signal from Comcast. Strange that it works at all! But its the fifth card they tried, and for now I'm just going to be satisfied with the fact I get pretty much all the HD channels (except the Science Channel and NatGe). I'm tired of calling them back. Maybe in a few weeks...
iontyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #7175
cjv2

You guys who are saying "I'll take whatever I can get, it's ok even though I'm not getting all my channels..."

Email the folks at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com, and tell them your stories. Really. You don't have to resign yourselves to settle for less than what you're paying for.
Old 02-27-2010, 10:59 PM   #7176
iontyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
You guys who are saying "I'll take whatever I can get, it's ok even though I'm not getting all my channels..."

Email the folks at (email removed, I don't have 5 messages yet!) and tell them your stories. Really. You don't have to resign yourselves to settle for less than what you're paying for.
Just emailed them. I will let you know what happens.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:18 AM   #7177
Kevin R

Truck roll three. He swapped out the card, and we now are back to getting most of the channels with some HD channels either missing or intermittent. I mentioned the signal showing upper 90s on basic channels, but 40s-70s on HD stuff. He said I'm getting almost no signal in the upper range. Called it in and the people that handle that will be out tomorrow to see why it's not getting from the main line to me. Would be nice if they get it handled and I start showing 90s across the board and got all the channels I'm supposed to. If not, we move to that comcast help dept everyone is always talking about.
On a positive note, other than the independent the sent out for the initial hook up (who was the usual gone in 60 seconds deal), they have been very helpful, expediant, and pleasant to deal with.
Old 02-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #7178
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
Truck roll three. He swapped out the card, and we now are back to getting most of the channels with some HD channels either missing or intermittent. I mentioned the signal showing upper 90s on basic channels, but 40s-70s on HD stuff. He said I'm getting almost no signal in the upper range. Called it in and the people that handle that will be out tomorrow to see why it's not getting from the main line to me. Would be nice if they get it handled and I start showing 90s across the board and got all the channels I'm supposed to. If not, we move to that comcast help dept everyone is always talking about.
On a positive note, other than the independent the sent out for the initial hook up (who was the usual gone in 60 seconds deal), they have been very helpful, expediant, and pleasant to deal with.
I do recall having low signal issues at one point, resulting in at least one channel simply not showing up at all (which surprised the heck out of me). When the signal issue was fixed, the channel issue vanished. Given what you describe I suspect you are probably on the right track to at least partial resolution.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:11 AM   #7179
TrAvELAr

Quote:
Email the folks at We_Can_Help(at)cable.comcast.com, and tell them your stories. Really. You don't have to resign yourselves to settle for less than what you're paying for.
After having 2 reps tell me that my ticket was escalated, and a supervisor telling me there were no escalation notes on my ticket, I emailed this address. Within a couple of hours I had a tech supervisor call me to personally verify the issue. He offered to move my appt. up, but I can't take any time off this week as I have a lot going on. Hopefully Saturday goes well and I'm told I will be getting a senior tech with CableCard experience on the truck roll.....
TrAvELAr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM   #7180
iontyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
Just emailed them. I will let you know what happens.
I am guessing they don't operate on weekends? I emailed them Friday night, it is now Monday morning and no word from them. Hopefully today...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:25 AM   #7181
cjv2

Quote:
I am guessing they don't operate on weekends? I emailed them Friday night, it is now Monday morning and no word from them. Hopefully today...
I'd be surprised if the desk was manned on weekends.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #7182
iontyre

Ok, heard from a tech via email today. He is very confident he can get this up and running before the day is out. I have to get him the card serial number when I get home from work. Fingers crossed!
Old 03-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #7183
bellmyb

This is my first post to the boards!

Got my new TiVo HD on Thursday. I'm getting used to it, I have had to reboot it once, when it locked up. Never had a TiVo lock up on me before...

Saturday the window for the tech to arrive was 8am - 9pm. When it got to around 5pm, we called and asked how soon it would be, they still didn't know. So I asked if we could move the truck roll to the next day, Sunday.

To my surprise they said "Yes", and "The customer is our first concern". They offered
a 2 hour window on Sunday, and arrived right at the end of that time. The new M-Card seems to be working just fine. The tech was friendly and stayed until it worked.

I only have Standard (B-Two) service, no premium channels. But it's working quite well so far. And they have the HD versions of all the broadcast channels up in the 200's, so very nice addition to the line up there.

We'll see if they charge me for that first appointment, but so far so good, I guess.
bellmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #7184
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellmyb View Post
We'll see if they charge me for that first appointment, but so far so good, I guess.
Comcast has a $20 credit policy for missed/late appointments, I think.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:06 AM   #7185
MikeSp

M card switched itself to an S card?

Comcast came out yesterday and installed an M Card so that I could receive all regular digital channels (no HD or premiums on cable) in my S3 Tivo. He explained that the M card would receive multiple streams and I only needed the one card in slot 1. When he left, I could record two different shows at once or watch one and record one as previously with analog and OTA HD TV. The Tivo later indicated that I should repeat the Guided Setup which I did.

After going through the Guided Setup again -- the M Card now shows that it is an S card and can only receive one stream. Comcast tech support (that is what they call it!!??) said that the problem was that my S3 needed two cards which is funny since it was previously working fine when the card thought it was an M card.

How did the Tivo switch the M card to an S card during a second Guided Setup and how do I get the Tivo to switch it back to an M card or does this take a Comcast tech and a service call?

Thanks,

MikeSp
MikeSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #7186
bicker
Gruff

The TiVo S3 is not capable of seeing any CableCARD as an M-card. All CableCARDs look like S-cards to the S3. That's one of the advantages of the newer TiVo HD -- it can make use of the multi-stream capability of M-cards, while the TiVo S3 cannot.

You need two CableCARDs in a S3 for dual-tuner functionality, regardless of whether they are S-cards or M-cards.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:19 AM   #7187
iontyre

Quote:
Ok, heard from a tech via email today. He is very confident he can get this up and running before the day is out. I have to get him the card serial number when I get home from work. Fingers crossed!
Eureka! Emailed the tech the serial number and half an hour later I had ALL MY CHANNELS!! He even called me to confirm all was well, told me they had mistakenly setup my account to bill me for a second outlet which he was removing, and credited my account $30 for my troubles! All by his own initiative, I didn't have to complain or ask for anything. What service! If you have problems, I HEARTILY recommend We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. Verizon and DirectTV can't compete with this!
Old 03-02-2010, 08:23 AM   #7188
cjv2

Badda boom, badda bing. Congrats.
Old 03-02-2010, 10:07 AM   #7189
MikeSp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
The TiVo S3 is not capable of seeing any CableCARD as an M-card. All CableCARDs look like S-cards to the S3. That's one of the advantages of the newer TiVo HD -- it can make use of the multi-stream capability of M-cards, while the TiVo S3 cannot.

You need two CableCARDs in a S3 for dual-tuner functionality, regardless of whether they are S-cards or M-cards.
Thank you very much -- Comcast is bringing out another card (end of the week)

Mike
MikeSp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #7190
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
Eureka! Emailed the tech the serial number and half an hour later I had ALL MY CHANNELS!! He even called me to confirm all was well, told me they had mistakenly setup my account to bill me for a second outlet which he was removing, and credited my account $30 for my troubles! All by his own initiative, I didn't have to complain or ask for anything. What service! If you have problems, I HEARTILY recommend We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. Verizon and DirectTV can't compete with this!
While true and this is good info, it's sad that we can't talk to anyone at the local area that can fix these problems without escalating to corporate. They run the business very poorly at the local level.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #7191
iontyre

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
While true and this is good info, it's sad that we can't talk to anyone at the local area that can fix these problems without escalating to corporate. They run the business very poorly at the local level.
If corporate can fix it in half an hour, who cares about the local lackeys? The job got done, correctly and with bonuses! They can't always help what level of expertise is available on every local level. Job well done.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:50 PM   #7192
cjv2

Quote:
If corporate can fix it in half an hour, who cares about the local lackeys?
Everybody who calls 1-800-COMCAST and runs into the crappy service at the local level, but doesn't know about that email address because they haven't been running about the Tivo Community Forum, cares about the issues with the local lackeys.
Old 03-02-2010, 12:59 PM   #7193
iontyre

Quote:
Everybody who calls 1-800-COMCAST and runs into the crappy service at the local level, but doesn't know about that email address because they haven't been running about the Tivo Community Forum, cares about the issues with the local lackeys.
True. We all need to help our fellow Comcasters find the better help they need!
Old 03-02-2010, 04:48 PM   #7194
Kevin R

Just an update on the missing hannels etc.
The guys in the big trucks rolled and fixed whatever was causing the weak upper band signal. I now get all the channels and show 80-100 signal on all channels (80-90 upper, 90-100 lower).
Have to say, while the whole thing didn't go without issue, everyone was more than pleasant and interested in getting it working for me.
Props to Comcast Knoxville for showing up on time, everytime, and working to make things right.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:31 AM   #7195
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Quote:
If corporate can fix it in half an hour, who cares about the local lackeys? The job got done, correctly and with bonuses! They can't always help what level of expertise is available on every local level. Job well done.
We should all care because it's reflected in the rates we pay - rolling a tech everytime there's a Cablecard install or subsequent issue is beyond stupid. They should have a checklist of stuff to try before it goes that far, but they just don't care for whatever reason. And so we pay more because they roll techs for no reason other than to get the right person on the phone.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #7196
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
We should all care because it's reflected in the rates we pay - rolling a tech everytime there's a Cablecard install or subsequent issue is beyond stupid. They should have a checklist of stuff to try before it goes that far, but they just don't care for whatever reason. And so we pay more because they roll techs for no reason other than to get the right person on the phone.
Right on. They did the same think with STB's a few years back. Then it finally dawned on them that it was cheaper to let the stupid customer pick the box up themselves. And the reality is, there is more work plugging in the cables for a cable box than there is with a cableCARD, when the screen pops up immediately with all the information needed!
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #7197
ccwpbear

I just had my cable cards installed in my new Tivo HD. I went to set my channels and it goes to a "Please wait... Acquiring Channel Information". It's been doing this for the past 45 minutes. Is this a Comcast problem due to the cards or a Tivo Problem or isn't not a problems at all and it takes this long to acquire the channels. When I had this before on my other Tivo, there wasn't any waiting.
ccwpbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:35 PM   #7198
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwpbear View Post
I just had my cable cards installed in my new Tivo HD. I went to set my channels and it goes to a "Please wait... Acquiring Channel Information". It's been doing this for the past 45 minutes. Is this a Comcast problem due to the cards or a Tivo Problem or isn't not a problems at all and it takes this long to acquire the channels. When I had this before on my other Tivo, there wasn't any waiting.
It sounds like a Comcast problem. First, call Comcast and have them send a hit to your cards. You can do this without speaking with anyone. (At least I can in my area.)

If that does not work, get your cableCARD data and host I.D.s, and call Comcast to have them verify that the numbers are correct on their side. As you said, it did not happen like that on your other TiVo.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:41 PM   #7199
balwx

Greetings. I've been reading this thread learning as much as I can. I am currently a Comcast hd-dvr customer. I'd eventually like to purchase the new tivo (had the directv branded tivo unit & loved it) unit & get rid of my comcast hd-drv box. So here goes a few newbie queries.

I see that I can purchase the tivo unit on my own & get the cable cards from comcast. I'm assuming that I just pay Tivo directly for the subscription (monthly or lifetime) first before Comcast comes over with the cable cards. Is this correct?

Also, its my understanding that the only features that I will lose without the Comcast hd-dvr are features such as comcast on demand, local weather etc....

So with this setup, I lose the current monthly fee of my comcast hd-dvr correct? One final question will I still be able to receive HBO through the tivo (currently subscribe to)? Thanks for reading and if there is anything else you folks think I should its appreciated..

ant
balwx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 07:59 PM   #7200
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by balwx View Post
Greetings. I've been reading this thread learning as much as I can. I am currently a Comcast hd-dvr customer. I'd eventually like to purchase the new tivo (had the directv branded tivo unit & loved it) unit & get rid of my comcast hd-drv box. So here goes a few newbie queries.

I see that I can purchase the tivo unit on my own & get the cable cards from comcast. I'm assuming that I just pay Tivo directly for the subscription (monthly or lifetime) first before Comcast comes over with the cable cards. Is this correct?

Also, its my understanding that the only features that I will lose without the Comcast hd-dvr are features such as comcast on demand, local weather etc....

So with this setup, I lose the current monthly fee of my comcast hd-dvr correct? One final question will I still be able to receive HBO through the tivo (currently subscribe to)? Thanks for reading and if there is anything else you folks think I should its appreciated..

ant
Sounds about right, in all respects, to me. Yes to HBO, or any other premium channels including sports packages.