TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2010, 01:08 PM   #5101
lex3001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 54
UPS won't help

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
A UPS is a MUST! Power outages/failures/spikes are the #1 culprit when it comes to data corruption and hard drive failure. A UPS can be really cheap insurance.
A UPS will not outlast most of our power outages, and won't help with the need to cold boot after the TiVo crashes during Netflix viewing, which is the problem we usually have.
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:11 PM   #5102
lex3001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I'd go with the WD or a Hitachi (HD31000 IDK/7K) and leave the Sammy in the NAS.
Do you have specific model # recommendations? My requirements:
- 1.5 TB
- Quiet
- TiVo compatible for sure

I don't mind running a utility to modify the firmware if its available and will work. The list of supported hard drives in the FAQ mentions several 1.5 TB drives but says they are all noisy. Grr. Central Computer has one of the models (Seagate) on sale right now for under $110, and I was thinking of driving over to SF to buy it today, but it's probably noisier than I would like.
Thanks!
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 01:31 PM   #5103
lex3001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 54
1.5TB supported quiet drives?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
Do you have specific model # recommendations? My requirements:
- 1.5 TB
- Quiet
- TiVo compatible for sure

I don't mind running a utility to modify the firmware if its available and will work. The list of supported hard drives in the FAQ mentions several 1.5 TB drives but says they are all noisy. Grr. Central Computer has one of the models (Seagate) on sale right now for under $110, and I was thinking of driving over to SF to buy it today, but it's probably noisier than I would like.
Thanks!
FYI Here are some models to consider:
Noisy but listed on the FAQ:
http://www.centralcomputers.com/comm...isea31501s.htm

Not sure:
http://www.centralcomputers.com/comm...iwd-15ears.htm

And these, not sure which would work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...341&name=1.5TB
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #5104
Jaze
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 18
Thanks, lads. So far, no luck.

I tried a new cable, and it looked like it had worked. Then, an hour or two later, it crashed again, the TiVo rebooted to No External Media Detected; when this began to happen a few days ago, it rebooted to the usual home screen, now it seems to almost always reboot to the External Storage Missing.

I can't get the Kickstarts to work because, if I hold pause during the initial reboot, it flashed the amber light for perhaps two seconds before proceeding with the "Just a few minutes more" message.

At the moment, it seems to be able to handle one thing - playback or live viewing, but if I try to record, it seems to reboot.

I think the writing's on the wall...

Last edited by Jaze : 02-27-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Jaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:11 PM   #5105
rocko
Cuckoo for TiVo
 
rocko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Northeast Joisey
Posts: 1,551
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
FYI Here are some models to consider:
Noisy but listed on the FAQ:
http://www.centralcomputers.com/comm...isea31501s.htm

Not sure:
http://www.centralcomputers.com/comm...iwd-15ears.htm

And these, not sure which would work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...341&name=1.5TB
Whichever you choose, you won't be able use the whole 1.5TB utilizing the current tools (WinMFS ...). I think the max is the original size plus 1TiB. You can purchase a custom made DIY-ready job on eBay, however. Going that route you may just consider the 2.0TB model but it all depends on your budget ...
__________________
Scully: "Is that a hound I hear baying in the moor ?"
Mulder: "No. That was a right-cheek sneak."

P4XL x 2 - Lifetime
P - Lifetime
HD - 1TB WD10EVVS - Lifetime
rocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:01 PM   #5106
sjmyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmyst View Post
Hi,

I have a Series 3 that has a 1tb internal disk that is failing (pauses, glitches, the usual disk failing symtoms). The 1tb disk was expanded from the original internal disk. I've purchased a 1.5tb disk that I'd like to use as the replacement internal disk. From the reading, it seems I can use up to 1.35 of this disk. But, there seems to be a limitation that in order to use 1.35tb (instead of 1.1tb), I have to upgrade from my original non-expanded 250gb disk using WinMFS. Is there any way to keep what I can of the recordings from the failing 1tb disk and use 1.35tb of my new 1.5tb disk (perhaps, a tool that just copies my recordings from my 1tb disk to the 1.5tb disk after it's been set up to use 1.35tb)?

Also, I'm still looking, but right now I can't seem to locate my original 250gb disk. If it turns out I can't find that disk. Am I stuck with only using 1.1tb instead of 1.35tb of my new 1.5tb disk (every little bit helps)?

I saw the following post that kind of implied that an upgrade from a 1tb to the 1.35tb could be done. I can't post a link to the thread. But, the post number was 7493341 for those that know the url. In the post mmmesq said "...and it bumped my HD hours from 142 to 198" on his S3. I've got the same disk as mmmesq, so it seems mmmesq somehow upgraded from a 1tb disk (my 1tb currently says it has 143tb HD hours) to using 1.35tb of a 1.5tb disk. But, I could be reading too much into the hours comment.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Steve
Well, here's an update in case someone else runs in to this. I went ahead and used my failing internal 1tb disk (Seagate Barracuda) to copy my recordings over to my 1.5tb disk (Seagate Barracuda ST315005N4A1AS-RK) using WinMFS 9.3f. I set the MfsSuperSize option to "yes". I selected MFSCopy from the menu. I selected my 1tb drive as my source and my 1.5tb drive as my destination and selected "Copy". I came back in the morning and there was a popup that asked if I wanted to expand my drive. I selected "Yes". I then got the popup that was hidden (I had to pull it up from the task bar) that warns me that I can't go above 1tb and asks if I want to limit the drive to 1tb. I answered 'Yes' like the FAQ said. And, that was it. I popped the drive back into my S3, and brought it up. The S3 now says I have 213 HD hours of recording time. It had said 142 HD hours before. Doing the math, it appears the S3 is using my full 1.5tb of space for recordings.

I guess I'll have to see how it runs. But, after a couple of hours, I don't see any problems.

Anybody have any comments why the S3 would say it's using all of the 1.5tb even though the FAQ says an S3 is limited to 1.35tb? Am I going to run into problems when the recordings get to the end of the disk (reboots?)?

As an internal drive, this 1.5 Seagate appears to be much quieter than my 1tb drive was (perhaps because that drive had problems all along?). If I stand 6 or 7 feet from the S3 with all sound muted on the TV, I really can't hear the 1.5tb drive. If I put my head up close to the S3, I can hear the drive working, so it's not completely quiet. But, I'm pretty happy with the level of sound (I've had many other drives that have been much louder).

Steve
sjmyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:57 PM   #5107
bkdtv
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DC Metro Area
Posts: 7,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmyst View Post
I popped the drive back into my S3, and brought it up. The S3 now says I have 213 HD hours of recording time. It had said 142 HD hours before. Doing the math, it appears the S3 is using my full 1.5tb of space for recordings.
A 1.0TB drive without MfsSupersize = 142-144 HD hours.
A 1.0TB drive with MfsSupersize = 157 HD hours.
A 1.35TB drive with MfsSupersize = 157 * 1.35 = 212-213 HD hours

Your drive is correctly limited to 1.35TB so it should work fine.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:12 AM   #5108
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
Do you have specific model # recommendations? My requirements:
- 1.5 TB
- Quiet
- TiVo compatible for sure

I don't mind running a utility to modify the firmware if its available and will work. The list of supported hard drives in the FAQ mentions several 1.5 TB drives but says they are all noisy. Grr. Central Computer has one of the models (Seagate) on sale right now for under $110, and I was thinking of driving over to SF to buy it today, but it's probably noisier than I would like.
Thanks!
I'd recommend the WD15EARS if you're comfortable dealing with the Intellipark "feature".

BTW, I'd stay away from the Seagate 1.5TB Pipeline model. I've returned three of them...one was DOA, one wouldn't format and the other had the "click of death". I didn't do my homework...there are hundreds of posts about problems with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
A UPS will not outlast most of our power outages, and won't help with the need to cold boot after the TiVo crashes during Netflix viewing, which is the problem we usually have.
There are a number of UPS options that will last hours if needed. It sounds like you have a very unstable power (and network?) source. Even if it's a long outage a UPS will protect your TiVo far better than any surge protector when it comes to fluctuations, spikes, brownouts, etc., some of which you may not even be aware of. A power conditioner will provide even better protection against data corruption or outright frying of the unit. Again, it's inexpensive insurance, but it's your TiVo of course.

Last edited by richsadams : 02-28-2010 at 01:21 AM.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:17 AM   #5109
CUtgr90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 2
Got a quick question on Series 3 upgrades.. I have model TCD648250B that I upgraded a few years ago with a 1Tb drive. No problems with the drive but the HDMI port has gone south. Before sending it back I will extract my 1Tb drive and insert the original. When I get the replacement Tivo is there any issue with just replacing its internal drive with my existing 1Tb?
CUtgr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:43 AM   #5110
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay
 
ThAbtO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 4,385
WD's 'Advanced Format' Caviar Green HDD gets benchmarked, minor benefits found
__________________
Series 2 (80 hrs,PLS, Pending sale)
TiVo HD 1TB (157 HD Hrs, PLS, "S3HD")
Roamio, Oh Roamio!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #5111
pl1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtgr90 View Post
Got a quick question on Series 3 upgrades.. I have model TCD648250B that I upgraded a few years ago with a 1Tb drive. No problems with the drive but the HDMI port has gone south. Before sending it back I will extract my 1Tb drive and insert the original. When I get the replacement Tivo is there any issue with just replacing its internal drive with my existing 1Tb?
Yes, there are issues. First of all, since the drive came from a different unit, you will see a hardware error once you start up the unit. You must then "clear and delete". This also means that you will lose your cableCARD pairing info (if that is important). AAMOF, you will lose everything including all of your saved recordings.

EDIT: So, what I recommend you do is, set up your new machine the way you want it, including with cableCARDs if needed, and THEN copy it with WMFS to your 1tb drive. That way you have an original copy.

Last edited by pl1 : 02-28-2010 at 08:20 AM.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:48 AM   #5112
whitepelican
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtgr90 View Post
Got a quick question on Series 3 upgrades.. I have model TCD648250B that I upgraded a few years ago with a 1Tb drive. No problems with the drive but the HDMI port has gone south. Before sending it back I will extract my 1Tb drive and insert the original. When I get the replacement Tivo is there any issue with just replacing its internal drive with my existing 1Tb?
For all that hassle and the price of getting a replacement (and losing all your recordings) I think I would just switch to the component video connection.
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:23 AM   #5113
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
For all that hassle and the price of getting a replacement (and losing all your recordings) I think I would just switch to the component video connection.
+1 There is little to no difference in PQ...although you would have to run a separate audio connection to your TV or receiver (good time to upgrade to optical/TOSlink?). Otherwise do what pl1 recommended.

BTW are you certain the HDMI connector on your TiVo is bad? That's very rare...not saying it couldn't happen but more often than not it's just a bad cable. Curious as to what it's doing (or not doing) exactly.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:41 PM   #5114
CUtgr90
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Campbell, CA
Posts: 2
Thanks for the quick responses.. It looks like the recommendation is to configure the new Tivo then use the standard upgrade process to utilize the 1Tb drive. I am not too concerned about the recordings on my existing 1Tb drive since I can transfer to a PC or my other Series 3. Just out of curiosity does WinMFS support the copy of recordings from my old 1Tb drive to the newly upgraded 1Tb drive?

As for my HDMI problem I am fairly certain that I have diagnosed it properly. I have a configuration where the Tivo is in a stereo cabinet across the room from the TV. I have a 40ft HDMI cable running under the floor in the crawl space. We had a power outage that killed the TV. After it was repaired there was no HDMI audio from Tivo. I have verified this with 2 different cables. In fact sometimes there is no video either. So to validate I pulled the Tivo out of the cabinet and connected directly to the TV with 6ft HDMI cable. The result was no video or audio regardless of the HDMI port used on the TV. I then took the Tivo to two other HD TVs in the house and was not able to get audio or video. Next I tested my second Series 3 with the 6ft and 40ft HDMI cables and this worked with no problems. So now I am using my second Tivo in the stereo cabinet and have the bad-HDMI Tivo in another room where component video is an option. I briefly considered running component video and optical audio but the cost of these cables in 40ft lengths plus the hassle of dealing with multiple crawl spaces make this less than desirable.

Once I determined that the HDMI port was the problem I called Tivo to check my options. Since the Tivo is less than 3 years old they have a $149 replacement fee with no transfer charge for my lifetime service. If I wait beyond the 3years it will cost me $149 plus $199 to transfer service. My experience with WinMFS has been very positive so I am not concerned with the hassle of upgrading the new machine. I just wanted to see if I could cut a few corners when configuring the new machine.

Thanks again for the replies..
CUtgr90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 02:51 PM   #5115
pl1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 1,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtgr90 View Post
Just out of curiosity does WinMFS support the copy of recordings from my old 1Tb drive to the newly upgraded 1Tb drive?
WinMFS will only clone a disk or make a truncated backup with no video recordings, for the same TiVo box. But, if you change the hardware, clear and delete is your only option. Then you wipe all of the recordings out. I do not know of any utility that can copy just the recordings for you.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:38 PM   #5116
lex3001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 54
Anyone gotten WDIDLE3 to work on a Dell E6400 laptop? I have the WD drive hooked up with eSATA. Tried IRRT and AHCI modes, both times it does not see any WD drive (but the BIOS sees it). ATA mode in the BIOS does not work either but it says that mode doesn't support eSATA anyway. The AHCI mode did see my Seagate laptop drive, but that was it.

Anyone got spare computer I can borrow tonight? ;-)
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:39 PM   #5117
lex3001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 54
1.5TB = 180 hours of HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko View Post
Whichever you choose, you won't be able use the whole 1.5TB utilizing the current tools (WinMFS ...). I think the max is the original size plus 1TiB. You can purchase a custom made DIY-ready job on eBay, however. Going that route you may just consider the 2.0TB model but it all depends on your budget ...
Yeah -- I've got 1.35TB utilized on the Samsung 1.5TB drive I am using now -- at least I am getting 180 hours of HD in the settings. Now I want to swtich to another HD, I'll just do a direct copy of the drive.
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:14 AM   #5118
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUtgr90 View Post
As for my HDMI problem I am fairly certain that I have diagnosed it properly.
Ah got it. Agreed, your diagnosis of the HDMI problem is almost certainly correct. $149 to get a "brand new" TiVo w/lifetime service is a good deal.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #5119
lex3001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 54
TiVo drive copy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
Anyone gotten WDIDLE3 to work on a Dell E6400 laptop? I have the WD drive hooked up with eSATA. Tried IRRT and AHCI modes, both times it does not see any WD drive (but the BIOS sees it). ATA mode in the BIOS does not work either but it says that mode doesn't support eSATA anyway. The AHCI mode did see my Seagate laptop drive, but that was it.

Anyone got spare computer I can borrow tonight? ;-)
Fortunately I was able to get WDIDLE3 to run on a desktop at my office with an eSATA port. This machine is a few years old but required I change the SATA configuration to IDE. Unfortunately no such setting on the newer Dell laptops... but now I should be ready to go with the new drive.

My plan:

Do a bit for bit copy of the existing Samsung 1.5TB drive in my TiVo to the new WD 1.5TB drive. Put in the new WD drive and test out that I can restart the TiVo with a soft restart (make sure WDIDLE3 worked), and make sure I can restart after a couple of hard reboots (make sure it fixes the problem I have with the Samsung EcoGreen drive -- which by the way does not have the problem if you put the TiVo in standby before unplugging it).

Anyone recommend the best tool to copy one drive to the other? WinMFS or just something like CloneZilla or dd?
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #5120
cjv2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
My plan:

Do a bit for bit copy of the existing Samsung 1.5TB drive in my TiVo to the new WD 1.5TB drive. Put in the new WD drive and test out that I can restart the TiVo with a soft restart (make sure WDIDLE3 worked), and make sure I can restart after a couple of hard reboots (make sure it fixes the problem I have with the Samsung EcoGreen drive -- which by the way does not have the problem if you put the TiVo in standby before unplugging it).

Anyone recommend the best tool to copy one drive to the other? WinMFS or just something like CloneZilla or dd?
For what it's worth, in my first stab at upgrade I *tried* to use SelfImage to clone the original 160GB drive onto a 1TB WD, and then intended to use WinMFS to expand to use all the space on the new drive.

The image went as planned, and the copy was usable. But when I went to use WinMFS on the copy to expand the usable space, the expansion operation crashed WinMFS, jazzed up the partition table, and that was the end of that. I wound up taking a more traditional path (WinMFS truncated backup/restore) to get the 1TB up and running.

What was interesting about the exercise was this - on the 1TB drive, the partition boundaries from the successful clone did *not* match the partition boundaries on the successful truncated restore. That suggested to me that something about doing an image restore was behind the subsequent failure-to-expand. I never figured it out though.
__________________
I have a TivoHD with 1TB of storage. Don't make me use it.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #5121
GrayeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 21
So, I've taken a few days break from trying(/failing) to upgrade my internal drive, thinking I'd gotten a bum WD10EARS from Newegg.

Was watching the Olympics yesterday and noticed that my TiVo started to freeze a little bit. The playback would stop, occasionally the DVR functionality would lag. Generally, I'd rewind, go forward, and it'd stop at the same point, but if I changed channels and went back, everything was fine. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe the new drive is fine, but the current (stock) drive has a bed sector (or similar). Has anyone heard of this happening (whether it's the symptom or the cause) ?

It would go a long way to determining why WinMFS won't finish copying my current drive to the new drive.

I'm thinking of running the WD LifeGuard utility on the new drive and making sure it's a-ok (takes ~96 hours!), and if it is, just accepting the fact that I will lose all my recordings, and that I can always swap drives if I need to. Anyone have another thought, or agree with that?

Similarly, I have an old Series 2 lying around, that doesn't have service. Can I put my current TiVo HD drive into the Series 2 and use that to watch the rest of the recordings I have on there, until I don't need the old drive anymore? Or will TiVo balk at that?

Thanks everyone!
GrayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 12:15 PM   #5122
whitepelican
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayeDog View Post
I'm thinking of running the WD LifeGuard utility on the new drive and making sure it's a-ok (takes ~96 hours!), and if it is, just accepting the fact that I will lose all my recordings, and that I can always swap drives if I need to. Anyone have another thought, or agree with that?
Have you tried just doing a truncated backup/restore with WinMFS to see if your new drive works OK without having to copy all of the recordings off the old one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayeDog View Post
Similarly, I have an old Series 2 lying around, that doesn't have service. Can I put my current TiVo HD drive into the Series 2 and use that to watch the rest of the recordings I have on there, until I don't need the old drive anymore? Or will TiVo balk at that?
Balk, big time. It won't even boot. Even if you had another TivoHD to put the drive in it wouldn't work (it would boot, but you wouldn't be able to view the recordings).
whitepelican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:07 PM   #5123
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by lex3001 View Post
Anyone recommend the best tool to copy one drive to the other? WinMFS or just something like CloneZilla or dd?
IIRC folks have successfully used dd to make a bit-for-bit copy. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:09 PM   #5124
lex3001
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
For what it's worth, in my first stab at upgrade I *tried* to use SelfImage to clone the original 160GB drive onto a 1TB WD, and then intended to use WinMFS to expand to use all the space on the new drive.
I think my case might be a little simpler -- since I already used WinMFS to move from the stock drive to a 1.5TB drive and I already did the expansion etc. Now I just need to do an exact image of the 1.5TB drive to move from the Samsung to the WD. I suspect the low power mode on the Samsung is causing problems on cold boot, which is why I want to try the WD now and move the Samsung to my NAS. SO I don't need to change any partition sizes or anything... (knock on wood)
lex3001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:32 PM   #5125
GrayeDog
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitepelican View Post
Have you tried just doing a truncated backup/restore with WinMFS to see if your new drive works OK without having to copy all of the recordings off the old one?
I did, and that worked just fine. New drive took the backup just fine, showed all my records (though, obviously, they didn't play), TiVo started up fine. Even soft reboot worked on my WD10EARS. I had forgotten to click Expand the Drive, so I can't verify for certain that it would recognize the larger drive, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Any thoughts on next steps for me?
GrayeDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #5126
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayeDog View Post
So, I've taken a few days break from trying(/failing) to upgrade my internal drive, thinking I'd gotten a bum WD10EARS from Newegg.

Was watching the Olympics yesterday and noticed that my TiVo started to freeze a little bit. The playback would stop, occasionally the DVR functionality would lag. Generally, I'd rewind, go forward, and it'd stop at the same point, but if I changed channels and went back, everything was fine. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe the new drive is fine, but the current (stock) drive has a bed sector (or similar). Has anyone heard of this happening (whether it's the symptom or the cause) ?

It would go a long way to determining why WinMFS won't finish copying my current drive to the new drive.

I'm thinking of running the WD LifeGuard utility on the new drive and making sure it's a-ok (takes ~96 hours!), and if it is, just accepting the fact that I will lose all my recordings, and that I can always swap drives if I need to. Anyone have another thought, or agree with that?
It's possible that your stock drive has some bad sectors and there are problems when TiVo attempts to write to them. It's also possible that some corrupted data was causing the copy fail from your stock drive to your new drive. (It's rare as everything is on separate partitions but it's hard to say what might have happened.)

I'd certainly run the diagnostic utility on your new drive to be sure it's okay. If so you could try just doing a truncated backup of the stock drive and image the new drive w/winMFS. As you mention, you'll lose existing recordings but you could copy any (non-protected) recordings to your computer if needed. It's still possible that things won't go well and in that case (as long as you're confident that your new drive is good) you may have to go with a fresh copy via Instant Cake. Unfortunately that will be like having a new TiVo so you'll need to get your cable cards paired (unless you have FIOS), etc. You can also save your Season Passes, etc. by subscribing to TiVo's Guru Guides or Kidzone.

It's possible something else is in play (cable card issue, signal, etc.). You could check the signal strength, RS Corrected and Uncorrected errors and such. But hard drives are the most common culprit when it comes to that sort of thing.

EDIT: Oh, I see by the above post that you did a truncated backup and it worked okay. (I was fielding calls and didn't update the page before I responded ). So I'd still run the deep diagnostic (read/write all zeroes/read) on the new drive...always a good idea no matter what. Then image the new drive and go from there.

Let us know how it goes!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 01:03 AM   #5127
sjmyst
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
A 1.0TB drive without MfsSupersize = 142-144 HD hours.
A 1.0TB drive with MfsSupersize = 157 HD hours.
A 1.35TB drive with MfsSupersize = 157 * 1.35 = 212-213 HD hours

Your drive is correctly limited to 1.35TB so it should work fine.
I guess I just don't understand MfsSuperSize. For this option to allow more HD recording hours for the same size disk (looking at your two numbers for the same 1tb disk) implies that MfsSuperSize has something to do with compression. But, I'm guessing not. The name MfsSuperSize implies something more like enlarging the partition size for the recordings.

I guess it was just a strange coincidence that my numbers worked out this way:

My 1tb disk I had 142 HD hours (according to the Tivo System Information screen). After using my 1.5tb disk I had 213 HD hours. So...

1000gb (or 1tb) /142HDhrs = 7.04225... gb/HDhr

7.04225...gb/HDhr * 213HDhrs = EXACTLY 1500gb = 1.5tb

So, I guess this is just a math anomaly... I'm really not trying to be a smart a** here. I just find it really strange that these numbers work out this way. Perhaps, there is a reason...

Regardless, the good news for me is that my recording size is 1.5 times larger than before (142 * 1.5 = 213)!!

One thing. Point 18 in section V of the FAQ was very misleading for me. This part of the FAQ states that I can't get the maximum size (1.35tb according to the FAQ) from my 1.5tb disk unless I upgrade using the original 250gb disk. The text reads:

"You must start with an original (non-expanded) TiVo image; images from upgraded TiVos will not work. You must also use WinMFS to prepare drives larger than 1TB. "

My upgrade to a 1.5tb drive was using a 1tb expanded source drive. The 1tb source drive was copied from my original 250gb disk and was expanded to use the full 1tb. So, for me, you don't have to use the original non-expanded 250gb drive when upgrading to the 1.5tb drive to get the maximum space (1.35tb).

Perhaps I'm just reading the statement in the FAQ incorrectly, but it really read to me that I had to use my original S3 disk to get the maximum out of my 1.5tb disk.

Regards,
Steve
sjmyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:34 AM   #5128
richsadams
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 8,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmyst View Post
I guess I just don't understand MfsSuperSize. For this option to allow more HD recording hours for the same size disk (looking at your two numbers for the same 1tb disk) implies that MfsSuperSize has something to do with compression. But, I'm guessing not. The name MfsSuperSize implies something more like enlarging the partition size for the recordings.
MFS Supersize frees up extra space reserved for storing tivoclips; the advertising videos that are downloaded periodically.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #5129
Kevin R
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 17
Tried to download the widdle ISO from the first page link, and couldn't get it, and ended up with the PC crashing due to a virus. Don't know if the timing was a fluke or what.
Can anyone confirm that the link in section 14 line 1 is working OK?
Sort of afraid of trying it and the WinMfs downloads again after the last few days rebuilding this thing.

Thanks,

Kevin R
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:10 AM   #5130
dt100
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 31
I know this question may go against the grain of this forum, but here goes. I need more recording space on my Tivo HD, but I am wondering if it is really worth upgrading the internal drive. An external 1TB expander is $130.An internal drive is about $70-90, depending on how much I look on-line. With the external, I still keep the additional space of the current internal drive, and I do not void my warranty (not much longer left on it anyway). I have upgraded an internal Tivo drive before, so I know it is not that difficult, but reading through some of the posts here things sometimes go wrong. So, aside from saving a few bucks upgrading the internal drive, is there some other advantage to upgrading the internal drive over getting the WD external. Thanks
dt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |