TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 11-21-2009, 04:00 PM   #61
TiVoEvan74

Above there's a nice listing of the problems with Tivo HDs

"Known Issues with 11.0d"

Are the Tivo HD XL's free of those problems? Especially the grey screen when hooked up to analog basic cable?

Or have these problems been fixed?
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 08:24 PM   #62
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
Above there's a nice listing of the problems with Tivo HDs

"Known Issues with 11.0d"

Are the Tivo HD XL's free of those problems? Especially the grey screen when hooked up to analog basic cable?
No. The TivoHD XL is just a TivoHD with a larger hard drive and a different startup screen.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:20 PM   #63
TiVoEvan74

And don't forget the glow in the dark remote!

That's too bad... so both suffer from the problems.

Which means, I guess, that using analog cable, that I'll likely run into problems. It's unclear to me, in re-reading the post about Known issues, why installing a Cable Card would solve the problems if one has analog cable only!

I was glad to see, though, that HD will handle over the air.

It sounds as if HD and XL really are only workable with digital input.
TiVoEvan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:51 PM   #64
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiVoEvan74 View Post
And don't forget the glow in the dark remote!

That's too bad... so both suffer from the problems.

Which means, I guess, that using analog cable, that I'll likely run into problems. It's unclear to me, in re-reading the post about Known issues, why installing a Cable Card would solve the problems if one has analog cable only!
Most (but not all) providers now have digital versions of every channel 0-100. Without a CableCard, you get the analog versions. With a CableCard, you get the digital versions.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:06 AM   #65
plattje

HDMI Version?

What HDMI version does the HD Tivo support? Version 1.3?
plattje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #66
Doctorhifi

All outputs are active simultaneously and the box will downconvert HD channels to 4:3 or 16:9 SD through composite and s-video for older televisions.

Can someone confirm this is true for the latest HD XL (TCD658000). I have need to simultaneously send HDMI and component signals.

Tivo customer support claims the component outs go dark if HDMI is used.
?
Doctorhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:33 PM   #67
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by plattje View Post
What HDMI version does the HD Tivo support? Version 1.3?
The TivoHD was introduced in mid-2007. It is built around a Broadcom CPU that supports HDMI 1.1.

Broadcom's newest CPUs support HDMI 1.3, so that's something you would probably see in a future TiVo. Note that most of HDMI 1.3's benefits are specific to Blu-ray players and gaming consoles; the only benefits of 1.3 to a DVR would relate to lipsync correction and Dolby Digital Plus support for Internet VOD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorhifi View Post
Can someone confirm this is true for the latest HD XL (TCD658000). I have need to simultaneously send HDMI and component signals.
Yes, it is.

That said, with certain displays, the component output may go dark if HDMI is plugged into a device that is turned off. This does not affect most devices, but apparently it is an issue with some Samsung TVs.
Old 12-16-2009, 11:13 AM   #68
Doctorhifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
The TivoHD was introduced in mid-2007. It is built around a Broadcom CPU that supports HDMI 1.1.

Broadcom's newest CPUs support HDMI 1.3, so that's something you would probably see in a future TiVo. Note that most of HDMI 1.3's benefits are specific to Blu-ray players and gaming consoles; the only benefits of 1.3 to a DVR would relate to lipsync correction and Dolby Digital Plus support for Internet VOD.

Yes, it is.

That said, with certain displays, the component output may go dark if HDMI is plugged into a device that is turned off. This does not affect most devices, but apparently it is an issue with some Samsung TVs.
Just wanted to confirm that my findings jive with what was said above: all outputs do work at the same time and I did not see the component outputs go dark when using HDMI (althought I am using a 46" Panasonic plasma G15).
Doctorhifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 AM   #69
cjv2

Quote:
Does anyone know why this is?
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #70
Jaze

Quick-hiding the progress bar

I've not had any luck finding this in the forums; please forgive me if it's already been covered.

I've lost the quick-hide remote function for the progress bar - formerly: Select, Play, Select, Pause, Select . For some reason, that sequence isn't working. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.
Jaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 AM   #71
stujac

Select-enter-select-pause-select.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:58 AM   #72
Jaze

Thanks, stujac, but I'm afraid that's not working for me either.

Series 3HD, software version 11.0detc.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #73
stujac

It's a bit tricky. First, you have to be in a recorded program and pause it; then you have to hit the down arrow to get the screen cleared, then do your programming. Every time I have to reboot or lose electricity I have to do this and it rarely works the first time.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:36 PM   #74
Jaze

Hmm. Still having no luck - with the program paused, hitting the down arrow doesn't clear the screen. Clearing the screen with the Clear button, then following the sequence isn't taking either.

I think I should probably try to reboot, but that's a pain, since sometimes there are recognition issues with my connected eSATA expansion hard drive.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #75
bmgoodman

Set-up Tivo before CableCard on FiOS?

I'm setting up my aunt's Tivo HD this weekend. Or I'm planning to do it, but I want to be sure I'm not wasting my time. With cable, I have always set up the Tivo and run it a few days prior to Cable Card install. Is this the correct way to do it with FiOS? Or should it all be done at the same time?

Thanks.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #76
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmgoodman View Post
With cable, I have always set up the Tivo and run it a few days prior to Cable Card install. Is this the correct way to do it with FiOS?
Yes.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:59 AM   #77
bkdtv

For those that haven't checked the tips section recently, new autorecord wishlists were added.

Commas are used to indicate separate keywords and title keywords.

Quote:
  1. Create a series recording for all games with your favorite pro or college sports team

Title Keyword: <one of MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL, College Football, College Basketball>
    Keyword: <pro team name or university as a single keyword>
    Category: Sports:Sports Event
    Wishlist Name: <Team name>

Set the wishlist to autorecord with these options:

Show Type: First-run Only
    Stop Recording: 1 hour longer

2. Create a series recording for the four major men's golf championships

Title Keyword: Golf, (Masters), (Open Championship), (PGA Championship), (U S Open)
    Keyword: -women
    Category: HD:Sports:Sports Event
    Wishlist Name: GOLF MAJORS

When creating this wishlist, be sure to substitute spaces for the periods in U.S. Open. Remove the keyword -women if you also want to record women's events.

3. Create a series recording for men's Grand Slam tennis

Title Keyword: Tennis, (Wimbledon), (French Open), (Australian Open), (U S Open)
    Keyword: -women
    Wishlist Name: GRAND SLAM TENNIS

When creating this wishlist, be sure to substitute spaces for the periods in U.S. Open. Remove the keyword -women if you also want to record women's events.

4. Create a series recording for college bowl games

Title Keyword: College Football, (BCS National), (Rose), (Orange), (Sugar), (Cotton), (Fiesta)
    Wishlist Name: BOWL GAMES

5. Create a series recording for the NCAA tournament (Sweet 16 and later)

Title Keyword: College Basketball, (Championship), (Final*), (Semifinal*), (Regional)
    Keyword: NCAA
    Wishlist Name: NCAA TOURNAMENT

This wishlist may not be correct. I no longer have the wishlist used for the past two seasons, so I can't be certain I have the keywords correct.

6. Create a series recording for the MLB World Series

Title Keyword: MLB Baseball, World Series
    Wishlist Name: WORLD SERIES

7. Create a series recording for the NHL Stanley Cup

Title Keyword: NHL Hockey, Stanley Cup
    Wishlist Name: STANLEY CUP

8. Create a series recording for the NBA Finals

Title Keyword: NBA Basketball, Finals
    Wishlist Name: NBA FINALS

9. Create a series recording for all NASCAR HD

Title Keyword: NASCAR Racing
    Keyword: (Sprint Cup) (Nationwide) (Camping World Truck) -practice -qualifying
    Category: HD
    Wishlist Name: NASCAR

10. Create a series recording for all major award shows

Title Keyword: Annual, Awards, (Academy), (Globe), (Grammy), (Choice), (Emmy)
    Category: HD:Interests:Award Shows
    Wishlist Name: AWARD SHOWS

Press the thumbs+ button on the TiVo remote to add parenthesis on the title keywords shown; that sets the "OR" operator on those keywords.

Stop Recording: 30 minutes longer

11. Create a series recording for new series premieres and pilots

Title Keyword: pilot
    Category: HD
    Wishlist Name: SERIES PREMIERES

Be aware this won't catch every new pilot and series premiere, because not all new shows are labeled as pilots or premieres, but it will record the majority.
If anyone notices an error, please let me know.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #78
dbaps

Issue #14 with a Yamaha RX-V465

Well I just closed my issue with Yamaha on an RX-V465. The sound is so high pitch my wife and I can't hear most of it until the very end of the noise. Wish I could return the receiver. Oh well...Lesson learned...I should of checked the forum .

Chuck,

I think we can finally close this issue. Check out item 14 from the Tivo Forum,

14. Yamaha RX-V565 and RX-V665 receivers may produce "coughing metallic sounds" when changing channels

The popular Yamaha RX-V565 and RX-V665 A/V receivers do not respond well to the way the TiVo switches between DD2.0 and DD5.1 channels. These Yamaha receivers may produce brief, but highly annoying "coughing metallic sounds" when changing channels.

Some older versions of the HTR-5830 are also affected; newer versions of the HTR-5830 do not appear to be affected.

Even though I have the RX-V465, this is the problem I am experiencing. While not Yamaha’s fault, I hope the two companies can work together to prevent this type of thing in the future. Unfortunately I am now stuck with a receiver that I can’t use but is brand new. The reseller will not give me a refund because they say it’s not Yamaha’s fault. So I will try and resell it on Ebay at a loss.

See below for all reported issues.

Thanks, Paul
dbaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:49 PM   #79
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbaps View Post
Well I just closed my issue with Yamaha on an RX-V465. The sound is so high pitch my wife and I can't hear most of it until the very end of the noise. Wish I could return the receiver. Oh well...Lesson learned...I should of checked the forum .
Thanks. I updated the first post to add the RX-V465.
Old 02-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #80
bruhelmboldt
bru

Is there a way to skip down the WISHLIST entries? I have about 600 of them {blush} and sure would like a better way to check and delete than scrolling one page at a time. TIA.
bruhelmboldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:11 PM   #81
bkdtv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruhelmboldt View Post
Is there a way to skip down the WISHLIST entries? I have about 600 of them {blush} and sure would like a better way to check and delete than scrolling one page at a time. TIA.
Pressing the skip (-->|) will jump to the very bottom.
Old 03-03-2010, 04:43 PM   #82
doogledb

Use Component output over to Cat5, to view Tivo on another TV

Use the component output on your unit to watch Tivo in another room. Use a component to CAT5 balun to transfer the video to another TV - Smarthome.com sale these.

You will also need to cover the sound from optical to coax and there are devices to do that too.
doogledb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:55 AM   #83
matt@thehickmans
Hemo_jr

TiVo Web Server Navigation

Is there documentation on how to navigate the web server on an individual TiVo? I know I can take a look at the Now Playing list:

https://mytivo/nowplaying/index.html

but can I also see my season passes? My ToDO list?

Thanks

Last edited by matt@thehickmans : 03-22-2010 at 11:11 AM.
matt@thehickmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:57 AM   #84
RayChuang88

Question Setting up new TiVo HD XL issues

Help.

I'm about to setup my TiVo HD XL, but while I find the initial fold-out poster useful, I need to ask two questions:

1) Can use the HDMI connection in lieu of the component video/RCA stereo audio connection to see the video from the TiVo box during the initial setup mentioned in the setup poster?

2) When do I register my TiVo DVR with TiVo and set up the payments for using the box?

3) How will TiVo maintain proper time?

TiVo HD XL (153 hours HD)
RayChuang88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #85
turbobuick86

"Yamaha RX-V465, RX-V565, and RX-V665 receivers may produce "coughing metallic sounds" when changing channels"

You can add Yamaha's 10 year old flagship receiver RX-V3200. The noise is oddly only in the right speaker.

Great thread of us newer owners. Thanks!
turbobuick86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:58 PM   #86
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChuang88 View Post
3) How will TiVo maintain proper time?
Assuming you have broadband, TiVo uses the Network Time Protocol to maintain damn good time over the intarwebs. Theoretically the protocol is capable of maintaing time to within a few milliseconds of NIST or USNO time, but the way TiVo implements it is by using a burst of requests every few hours instead of more frequent requests. Still should be good for well under 1 second of inaccuracy. To make sure I get the very best time, I intercept TiVo's requests in my firewall and point them to my own NTP server, but that's just something silly that a nerd would do.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 12:15 PM   #87
Keen

Arrow

Quote:
I haven't seen the issue reported with Denon receivers.
I just got a Denon AVR-790, which is the same as a 1910, and I'm seeing this issue. I lose sound for 1-2 seconds after trickplay.

In addition, I lose audio for 1-2 seconds whenever the audio type changes. I have my Tivo HD setup to send Dolby Digital to my receiver via HDMI. When I go from the 5.1 Dolby signal of the show to the 2.0 Dolby in an ad, I lose sound for a second or two. When the show returns and it goes from 2.0->5.1, same issue happens.
Keen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #88
epstewart

Quote:
High-definition recordings are stored on the TiVo's hard drive as transport streams in a proprietary format. When you download a recording from the TiVo with a web browser (or TiVo Desktop), the TiVo remuxes the recorded streams stored on the hard drive into a single MPG file that can be played on a PC or Mac. This on-the-fly remuxing does not have any effect on quality, but it does cut throughput by 50-70% compared to MRV between two TiVos.

When transferring recordings between two TivoHD DVRs, throughput is about twice as fast (20-24Mbps typical), because recorded files are transferred just as they are stored on the hard drive.
Hi,

Excellent post and thread! Thanks ...

I'm curious about which CPU, the TiVo's or the computer's, does the remuxing during a TiVo Desktop transfer of a recording from a TiVo HD or Series3 to a Mac running OS X 10.5.8. My understanding is that the remuxing is needed to convert the MPEG-2 transport stream on the TiVo to an MPEG-2 program stream for storage on the computer. Am I correct?

When transferring a previously moved recording from a computer back to a TiVo, is there similar overhead for converting the program stream on the computer back to a transport stream for the TiVo. If so, which CPU does the work?

Do the answers to any of those questions change if one is using pyTivoX and/or StreamBaby, in any of their various modes, to send/stream things back to the TiVo? What about if one uses something like kmttg instead of TiVo Desktop or a browser to transfer the recording from the TiVo to the computer?

Thanks in advance for any information you or anyone else can give me ...
Old 05-19-2010, 06:48 AM   #89
AsSiMiLaTeD

I just got my Tivo DVR HD and got the software update last night, it shows to be 11.0g.

I didn't see that mentioned here anywhere, did I miss something?
AsSiMiLaTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #90
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsSiMiLaTeD View Post
I just got my Tivo DVR HD and got the software update last night, it shows to be 11.0g.

I didn't see that mentioned here anywhere, did I miss something?
That's the latest software for HD's:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=445114

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote