TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-16-2010, 06:32 PM   #1921
bkdtv

Does anyone recall the usable space (as reported by kmttg in GB) for...
  1. a TivoHD; (21 HD hours)
  2. a TivoHD XL (157 HD hours)
  3. a TivoHD upgraded with a 1TB drive (157 HD hours), if different from above; 915GB
  4. a TivoHD with a 500GB My DVR Expander (93 HD hours);
  5. a TivoHD with a 1TB My DVR Expander (165 HD hours); and
  6. a TivoHD XL with a 1TB My DVR Expander (300 HD hours)

Perhaps a future version of kmttg could retain/track the largest reported in-use capacity from session to session, if not pre-defined by the user. I believe TivoPlaylist does that.

Edit: To clarify, I'm not looking for the number of hours reported on the TiVo's System Information screen. I'm looking for the number of Gigabytes reported by kmttg for each configuration when all disk space is used.

Last edited by bkdtv : 02-17-2010 at 12:44 PM.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:34 PM   #1922
cburbs

stock tivo HD -Saves up to 20 hours of HDTV (180 hours of SD) at least this is what the Tivo site says.
cburbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 09:22 PM   #1923
Icarus

7. S3 with custom (ST3750840SCE.ACD) 750GB esata expansion - 143 HD hours, 617.3 (stock internal drive + original S3 esata expansion)

not sure why kmttg reported 640.6 earlier

Last edited by Icarus : 02-17-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 01:19 AM   #1924
keenanSR

3. a TivoHD upgraded with a 1TB drive (157 HD hours) - 915GBs

Same for Series 3 with 1TB internal upgrade.
keenanSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:25 AM   #1925
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdtv View Post
Edit: To clarify, I'm not looking for the number of hours reported on the TiVo's System Information screen. I'm looking for the number of Gigabytes reported by kmttg for each configuration when all disk space is used.
This would be hard to determine, no? Isn't the only gauge of when "all" disk space is used when Suggestions (if enabled) stop recording and the RDF has 0 programs? Knowing the size of the OS partition(s), and subtracting that from the total I think would be the best way to measure what you are after. That number could then be fed to kmttg as the "Total Disk Space" to report against (graphically or otherwise).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:02 AM   #1926
sw2315

ipod touch conversion issue

I have tried using the following profiles for Ipod Touch conversions - ff_ipod_high_res, ff_ipod_low_res, hb_iphone, hb_ipod. Everything works fine, it seems, and I can even import the resulting files into Itunes and play them in Itunes and QuickTime with no problem. However, when i try to sync my Ipod Touch it gets an error saying it cannot sync these files because they cannot be played on my ipod. If I go into the Itunes menu and do a conversion using "Create an Ipod or Iphone version" from within Itunes on these files, then they will sync to my ipod. This converson from within Itunes is very slow. I want the conversion from kmttg to work and be able to sync to my ipod without using the Itunes conversion.

By the way, I tried using DVD Catalyst to convert the same files for my Ipod and it works fine. I do not have to use the internal Itunes conversion from DVD Catalyst.

I would much prefer to use kmttg for everything and not have to use DVD Catalyst.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on here?
sw2315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 11:39 AM   #1927
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw2315 View Post
I have tried using the following profiles for Ipod Touch conversions - ff_ipod_high_res, ff_ipod_low_res, hb_iphone, hb_ipod. Everything works fine, it seems, and I can even import the resulting files into Itunes and play them in Itunes and QuickTime with no problem. However, when i try to sync my Ipod Touch it gets an error saying it cannot sync these files because they cannot be played on my ipod. If I go into the Itunes menu and do a conversion using "Create an Ipod or Iphone version" from within Itunes on these files, then they will sync to my ipod. This converson from within Itunes is very slow. I want the conversion from kmttg to work and be able to sync to my ipod without using the Itunes conversion.

By the way, I tried using DVD Catalyst to convert the same files for my Ipod and it works fine. I do not have to use the internal Itunes conversion from DVD Catalyst.

I would much prefer to use kmttg for everything and not have to use DVD Catalyst.

Does anyone have any ideas what may be going on here?
I don't have an iPod/iTouch etc. so can't test. Perhaps the following tweak though may fix the issue. Under the kmttg 'encode' folder edit the ff_ipod_high_res.enc file and change -vcodec mpeg4 to -vcodec libxvid and save it. Then re-start kmttg and try using the ff_ipod_high_res profile to see if that fixes it. For quicker testing I would recommend using a 1 minute recording from your TiVo to test with. If that still doesn't work then using h.264 video codec may be next thing to try. Options for that are a little more complicated so please try the above tweak first.
P.S. Re-reading your post it's strange that the Hanbrake profiles don't work either since they are already using h.264 and all the specs seem to be correct.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

Last edited by moyekj : 02-17-2010 at 11:45 AM.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:17 PM   #1928
chazas

I happily use KMTTG to download and convert files for my iPhone, even though much of the discussion on this thread is a bit technical for me.

I already had VideoRedo because a while back I was having problems with audio synch - at the time the other version wasn't guaranteed to work with .tivo files, so I bought TVSuite. I just upgraded to TVSuite4 because, well, it didn't cost much - maybe I should have saved my $26. Can anyone tell me the benefit of using VideoRedo to to the encoding? It seems to me to be just a slow as Handbrake on my old Thinkpad. It works fine, but I can't see any great advantage to it. What am I missing?
chazas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #1929
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazas View Post
I happily use KMTTG to download and convert files for my iPhone, even though much of the discussion on this thread is a bit technical for me.

I already had VideoRedo because a while back I was having problems with audio synch - at the time the other version wasn't guaranteed to work with .tivo files, so I bought TVSuite. I just upgraded to TVSuite4 because, well, it didn't cost much - maybe I should have saved my $26. Can anyone tell me the benefit of using VideoRedo to to the encoding? It seems to me to be just a slow as Handbrake on my old Thinkpad. It works fine, but I can't see any great advantage to it. What am I missing?
If you already have a working flow using kmttg then benefits may be less obvious, but in general the benefits are:
1. Single tool to decrypt TiVo files, edit out commercials and encode to other formats while preserving A/V sync. I think eventually TVS4 will add Blu Ray authoring capability as well.
2. Gives you a GUI for setting up your own custom encoding profiles albeit some of the more advanced encoding options are currently hidden/not available.
3. Gives you ability to edit mp4/H.264 files.

Having said that the h.264 encoder as part of TVS4 is still in it's infancy and there are some capabilities and options either hidden or missing so it can't do everything that some of the public domain encoders can such as x264, ffmpeg, hanbrake, etc. But as the product matures I'm sure Dan and company will be working to add a lot of the missing features & functionality so over time it will become more and more useful.
I've done a little benchmarking vs ffmpeg and don't see a huge difference in performance so I don't think that can be claimed as an advantage.

Of course the other down side is it only runs on Windows, so if you use Mac or Linux platforms then it's not really an option unless you use Wine or similar.

Old 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM   #1930
marissacorey

Hi, new to TivotoGo and just recently came across kmttg. I've tried using it to download and convert .tivo files to mpeg and it seems to work fine, however, when I try using Avidemux to edit the mpeg file, the video opens in Avidemux as stretched (lengthwise). I've tried using different encoding profiles but none seem to make a difference. I thought maybe it had something to do with the Avidemux program, but when I open other files in there it seems to work.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm admittedly not a very technical person, so I'm sorry if I'm not making sense or if the solution is an obvious one. I also did a search but couldn't find any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
marissacorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #1931
chazas

Using TVSuite4 to convert SD shows to the iPhone/iPod touch profile, at least for me, results some sort of de-interlacing/jaggie problem in the resulting file. Whenever something moves on screen or the scene changes, everything around the changing pixels shows lines, like I am looking up close at a large TV showing bad SD programming on pause.

Any suggestions? I suppose I should also go to the VideoRedo forms and ask.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #1932
txporter
One sec, almost done

Quote:
Using TVSuite4 to convert SD shows to the iPhone/iPod touch profile, at least for me, results some sort of de-interlacing/jaggie problem in the resulting file. Whenever something moves on screen or the scene changes, everything around the changing pixels shows lines, like I am looking up close at a large TV showing bad SD programming on pause.

Any suggestions? I suppose I should also go to the VideoRedo forms and ask.
It sounds like you are converting the telecined frames as well. I don't have the new TVSuite4, does it have an option to Inverse Telecine or IVTC or something like that?
Series2 540 400GB Seagate DB35 (lifetime)
txporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #1933
chazas

Quote:
Originally Posted by txporter View Post
It sounds like you are converting the telecined frames as well. I don't have the new TVSuite4, does it have an option to Inverse Telecine or IVTC or something like that?
Don't think so, but I will check.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #1934
chazas

A reply from the VideoReDo folks in their forums:

Quote:
I don't know what's available via KMTTG but in VideoReDo there is a deinterlacing option. Setting it to Smart results in the best quality for progressive devices like iPods. By default the iPod profiles should all have this option turned on, however because you're using it via a 3rd party program I'm not sure exactly what's getting set. Can you try outputting just one file from the main VRD interface? When you're in the Save dialog click the Options button and make sure the deinterlacer setting is set to "Smart". If the output from that still looks bad please let us know.
moyekj, is this option enabled when KMTTG calls up VideoReDo?
Old 02-18-2010, 04:50 PM   #1935
moyekj

Quote:
A reply from the VideoReDo folks in their forums:

moyekj, is this option enabled when KMTTG calls up VideoReDo?
When using a VRD profile via kmttg it's IDENTICAL result to doing it through VRD GUI. In VRD if you select Tools->Edit Profile List... and then highlight "iPhone / ipod Touch" and then click on "Edit" button you will see that by default Deinterlace mode is set to Smart, so presumably this will mean progressive output. Note that there is a bug in TVS4 595 where it will indicate the output file is interlaced when it's actually not (there is a thread about that in VRD forums which indicates it will be fixed in 596). If you use Mediainfo to examine the output file you will see that it is indeed progressive.

Old 02-18-2010, 07:38 PM   #1936
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

kmttg enhancement request

Would it be possible to have kmttg, optionally, delete shows from the TiVo after processing, assuming that the TiVo has TivoWebPlus installed?

For instance, to delete a particular show using TivoWebPlus on one of my TiVo's you could use the following url
Code:
http://10.0.0.53:8080/confirm/del/1242283
kmttg seems to know the show information by the same tag that TivoWebPlus does. In this case "1242283"
Code:
C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie2695328658443330584.tmp --url http://10.0.0.53:80/download/XXI%20Winter%20Olympics.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1242283 --output "C:\kmttg\XXI Winter Olympics - Snowboarding, Biathlon (02_18_2010).TiVo"

"easy as 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884179"
StanSimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 10:48 AM   #1937
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
Would it be possible to have kmttg, optionally, delete shows from the TiVo after processing, assuming that the TiVo has TivoWebPlus installed?

For instance, to delete a particular show using TivoWebPlus on one of my TiVo's you could use the following url
Code:
http://10.0.0.53:8080/confirm/del/1242283
kmttg seems to know the show information by the same tag that TivoWebPlus does. In this case "1242283"
Code:
C:\kmttg\curl\curl.exe --retry 3 --anyauth --globoff --user tivo:MAK --insecure --cookie-jar C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\cookie2695328658443330584.tmp --url http://10.0.0.53:80/download/XXI%20Winter%20Olympics.TiVo?Container=%2FNowPlaying&id=1242283 --output "C:\kmttg\XXI Winter Olympics - Snowboarding, Biathlon (02_18_2010).TiVo"
There probably is a very small minority of users with TivoWebPlus, especially with series 3 TiVos, but it could be implemented pretty easily by adding another config option. What stage would you want the web delete to happen? When .TiVo download file is removed after successful decrypt?

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM   #1938
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
There probably is a very small minority of users with TivoWebPlus, especially with series 3 TiVos, but it could be implemented pretty easily by adding another config option. What stage would you want the web delete to happen? When .TiVo download file is removed after successful decrypt?
My setup is fairly unique, with two TiVoHD's running TWP, but there are a LOT of Series 2 (140/240) boxes out there that can easily be setup to run TWP. I keep hoping that TiVo will upgrade the web control stuff to allow show deletion on unhacked boxes.

Yes, deletion after a successful decrypt (tivodecode or VideoReDo) would be ideal.

I'd be happy to test and or provide access to my system if needed.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:30 PM   #1939
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanSimmons View Post
My setup is fairly unique, with two TiVoHD's running TWP, but there are a LOT of Series 2 (140/240) boxes out there that can easily be setup to run TWP. I keep hoping that TiVo will upgrade the web control stuff to allow show deletion on unhacked boxes.

Yes, deletion after a successful decrypt (tivodecode or VideoReDo) would be ideal.

I'd be happy to test and or provide access to my system if needed.
OK, I have a development version ready for you to try out the implementation. Please visit here for details and feedback:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=90

Old 02-19-2010, 07:45 PM   #1940
miguelakiira

I'm going a bit nuts.
Videoredo starts qsfix and the process just sits there. It works when Kmttg is in GUI mode. I've reinstalled Videoredo, started as admin. I wish Kmttg gave me control of the Videoredo arguements, so that I can at least see what the issue is, since the log isn't helping. Anyone know why the Videoredo processes would hang?
miguelakiira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:59 PM   #1941
miguelakiira

Nothing is being written to the appdata temp folder..
Old 02-19-2010, 08:00 PM   #1942
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelakiira View Post
I'm going a bit nuts.
Videoredo starts qsfix and the process just sits there. It works when Kmttg is in GUI mode. I've reinstalled Videoredo, started as admin. I wish Kmttg gave me control of the Videoredo arguements, so that I can at least see what the issue is, since the log isn't helping. Anyone know why the Videoredo processes would hang?
Please read VideoRedo_configuration Wiki carefully if you have not already. You need to setup kmttg service to use same login account that you run kmttg/VideoRedo GUI with.
If you still have trouble , in latest version of kmttg there is an option in Configuration, VideoRedo tab called Allow multiple VideoRedo jobs at once. Stop the service, enable that option in GUI and then restart service and see if that solves the problem. I would highly recommend setting up kmttg to auto transfer a tiny test clip recording from your Tivo to use as a test case so you don't waste a lot of time waiting around during testing.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #1943
miguelakiira

Moyekj, does this log entry further clarify?
2010_02_19_20:56:02 ERROR: qsfix failed (exit code: 0 ) - check command: C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp\ VRD1499797340199428115.vbs "K:\Video Workbench\UEFA Champions League Magazine (MSGPL_88 02_19_2010).TiVo" "F:\\UEFA Champions League Magazine (MSGPL_88 02_19_2010).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Tem p\VRDLock8999704669619484971.tmp
2010_02_19_20:56:02 ERROR: C:\Windows\system32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Temp\ VRD1499797340199428115.vbs(48, 1) Microsoft VBScript runtime error: The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable: 'VideoReDo.IsOutputInProgress'
Old 02-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #1944
miguelakiira

This problem startede when I swithed the qsfix destination location to a new external esata drive, running on a pcie card.. dunno if that would create a problem..
Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 PM   #1945
miguelakiira

Nope, I guess you were right. Login account fixed it. I didn't try it because system worked for so long.. whew, Moek, you da man!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:21 PM   #1946
miguelakiira

Just a suggestion, I may be off base, but if the login/videoredo issue comes from the need to right to the temp folder, can you set a scratch directory in the config. I use mediacoder to transcode (cuda rocks) and it is great to be able to set the path for scratch files. Thanks for all your incredible work!
Old 02-19-2010, 08:27 PM   #1947
StanSimmons
Senior Moment Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
OK, I have a development version ready for you to try out the implementation. Please visit here for details and feedback:
http://code.google.com/p/kmttg/issues/detail?id=90
The good news is that it issued a tivowebplus delete request, and said it succeeded... the bad news is that the delete didn't actually happen.

Code:
>> Issuing TivoWebPlus show delete request...
http://10.0.0.53:8080/confirm/del/1242251
>> Running qsfix on C:\kmttg\Burn Notice - Partners in Crime (02_18_2010).mpg ...
C:\Windows\system32\cscript.exe //nologo C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VRD6035823564949036442.vbs "C:\kmttg\Burn Notice - Partners in Crime (02_18_2010).mpg" "C:\kmttg\Burn Notice - Partners in Crime (02_18_2010).mpg.qsfix" /l:C:\Users\ADMINI~1\AppData\Local\Temp\VRDLock5207330512227312994.tmp 
>> TivoWebPlus delete succeeded.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #1948
moyekj

That's odd. If you use the url in a browser does it work:
Code:
http://10.0.0.53:8080/confirm/del/1242251
kmttg issues the url and then awaits a response. If it receives response "OK" from server then it assume it worked which is what looks like happened, so I can't explain why it doesn't work if the url above is indeed the only thing needed to delete a show.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:52 PM   #1949
marissacorey

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this? Any help at all would be great. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissacorey View Post
Hi, new to TivotoGo and just recently came across kmttg. I've tried using it to download and convert .tivo files to mpeg and it seems to work fine, however, when I try using Avidemux to edit the mpeg file, the video opens in Avidemux as stretched (lengthwise). I've tried using different encoding profiles but none seem to make a difference. I thought maybe it had something to do with the Avidemux program, but when I open other files in there it seems to work.

Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm admittedly not a very technical person, so I'm sorry if I'm not making sense or if the solution is an obvious one. I also did a search but couldn't find any information. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

marissacorey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 09:58 PM   #1950
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissacorey View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do about this? Any help at all would be great. Thanks.
I know nothing about Avidemux so can't really comment. I see that it is a freely available program so will try downloading and playing with it. A couple of questions:
1. What OS are you on?
2. Are your source recordings Standard or High definition? Or is the problem there either way?

The program that converts TiVo to mpg does nothing but remove encryption, so the resulting mpg file is a valid mpg program, so it would suggest the problems lie with Avidemux. But I don't know enough about that program to comment.

EDIT: Just tried it quickly with both SD & HD source mpeg originating from TiVo and didn't see a problem with aspect ratio. Only trouble is it wasn't able to decode AC3 audio which is not a good sign...

Last edited by moyekj : 02-19-2010 at 10:05 PM.