TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #751
tujin

Smile Success!

I'm happy to report that I'm back up and running with a full slate of program data and all my previously recorded programs. The only thing I lost in the process afaik was my Seasons Passes, which were cleared when I went through the Guided Setup process.

While I wish this whole affair wouldn't have happened, I have to at least hand it to TiVo for finally following up and making this right. I can very much appreciate the challenge of maintaining compatibility with legacy technology, so I'm going to cut them some slack on this issue.

I hope whatever TiVo did resolves the issue for the rest of you who have had the same problem.
tujin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #752
mpark

I obeyed the message from TiVo and went through Guided Setup without a hitch. Everything appears to be working now. I have program guide data.
mpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM   #753
DotComCTO

Thumbs up

Thanks for the update guys! I just forced the daily call, and sure enough, the download process started (instead of the connect & immediate disconnect with the service unavailable message). It looks like all is well!

Many thanks to TiVoJerry, the gang here for pushing the issue, and the team back in TiVo Engineering for getting this sorted out.

Now I can rest easy again!

--DotComCTO
DotComCTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #754
mpark

TiVo has apparently fixed the problem, which is great, wonderful, huzzah!—but for several weeks, their response was quite unsatisfactory and has left a bad taste in my mouth.
I'd feel a whole lot better if the support reps acknowledged that "Service Unavailable" means there's a problem on their side, instead of blaming "digital phone lines" and advising me to upgrade to a new machine. I wonder how many people ditched their old machines.
I was fortunate enough to find this forum, but I'm sure a lot of people didn't.

Anyway, I'm very grateful for this forum, especially the folks in this thread.
mpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:23 AM   #755
jrusso9

Thank you for the fix

I too am now fixed. Thanks to the people on this forum, our service was restored and an error fixed. I hope in the future TIVO listens to their customers, rather than blaming their customers for their problems. Also customer service representatives need to learn better skills in dealing with things they don't understand.

Once again, thank you to everyone who kept the pressure on and made this a very well read thread.
jrusso9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:30 AM   #756
jrusso9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mntvjunkie View Post
Seriously? I mean, the box you are using is 10 years old, running on outdated technology, and you'd never buy a Tivo box again because it finally crapped out? So, you'd rather have paid (AT MINIMUM, assuming $10 a month for the box) $1200 for a Comcast DVR?

The life you got out of the box was pretty good. I'd take it as face value. I'm sure Tivo would work with you to get you a discount on a new box. I spent about $520 on a new box last may (with lifetime service). If I get 10 years out of the box, that would be a total cost of $52 PER YEAR for a DVR with service. If that number dropped to 5, I'd still only be paying $104 PER YEAR for the thing WITH service. In my area, assuming Comcast doesn't raise the price of the DVR over that 5 year period (unlikely would be putting it lightly), their box with reduced functionality would cost me $960 over 5 years. By my calculations, I only have to have the box for 3 years and I still would break even on the cost of owning vs renting.

My Series 2 is still kicking, and I bought that in December of 2004. 5 years later, and it's still running like it did the day I bought it. If you'd rather have Comcast's box, go for it, but don't blame it on this, blame it on your unwillingness to deal with the one shortcoming of product ownership. Nothing lasts forever.
:The problem was there was nothing wrong with my TIVO box, it was their service that was having a problem. I hope you understand the distinction.
jrusso9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:54 AM   #757
dbranco

I am so glad that the problem is fixed for you all! When I had the problem last year, I still remember my extreme frustration with TiVo. Thank goodness for TiVoJerry!
dbranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #758
DotComCTO

Just one quick update. As some others have experienced, I am getting a message from TiVo saying that I must repeat the guided setup. I will do that later tonight.

That said, I don't understand why I'm getting that message. The TiVo is retrieving the proper channel guide info, and it works fine with my set-top box.

Oh well. Here goes a lost 30 minute exercise...

--DotComCTO
Old 01-08-2010, 08:49 PM   #759
nastymage

problem finally corrected

I finally got my Series 1 to work after running Guided Setup, but I'm not happy with TiVo's response to the problem or the story they gave as to the cause.

On January 5th, exactly one month after my TiVo box made it's last successful Daily Call, I got a new message on my TiVo box saying that my cable provider had made changes which made it necessary for me to have to run Guided Setup again. I don't see how my cable provider could have anything to do with the problem. My TiVo box dials into a TiVo-owned phone number, and downloads TiVo-created data from a TiVo-owned server.

I think TiVo created the message to try and lay blame on my cable provider because TiVo didn't want to admit it was their fault. If the cable provider was going to change something, TiVo would have been one of the first to know about it, because they have to format the program data to download and work on their boxes.

Anyway, I think TiVo really dropped the ball on this one and being without TiVo for a month and having to re-enter my Wishlists and Program Manager data was a real pain.

It's a good thing I didn't believe those morons in tech support who told me I had to buy a new box ($399) and new lifetime service ($149). Thanks to all of you on this thread who gave me hope to know I wasn't alone with this irregularity.

Ciao, Nastymage
nastymage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #760
DotComCTO

Final update: I wanted to test whether that "repeat guided setup" message was a one-time message. So, I deleted all old messages and decided not to repeat the guided setup. By the second day, I got a new message asking me to repeat the guided setup.

So, I ran through that and the process worked fine. The TiVo is working as it was prior to 12/6. Hopefully, we won't have to go through this again!

Thanks again to all that helped!

--DotComCTO
Old 01-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #761
ciscospice

Pushing this thread back up to the top again.

I have an old Series 2 box - it's about seven years old, with a lifetime subscription.

I've been troubleshooting the phone calls for programming data for over a week now.

I've done the following:

- reset the tivo box
- tried about ten different phone numbers and different variations on the number (with area code, without)
- redid guided setup (guided setup call failed initially and then finally completed)
- called Tivo support and was told that it's a problem with the phone line that I've been using successfully for seven years.

Most of the time I get "Service Unavailable" messages. Both Test Calls and daily update calls are failing (however - as stated above the guided setup call did finally complete successfully. I've tried to force a call at least ten times since the guided set up finished the other day and ALL have failed)

Very frustrating as it appears to be a problem with the tivo service units that should be accepting my programming calls and talking with my box.

I've considered setting up a network connection, but the location of the tivo box is not anywhere near my router/switch. Also, I'd still need to find an apparently obscure usb-to-rj45 connector. It's $70 to buy a wireless adapter and $150 (plus subscription) to buy a new box.

It's frustrating that I need to spend money to fix a problem that appears to be Tivos. I don't know what else to do right now to try and get my programming calls to go through.
ciscospice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:57 AM   #762
ackurv

I am still having this issue with a series 1 Tivo, the Setup Call completes successfully, but during the Program Call, the download keeps failing with a Call Interrupted error. I've tried at various times, using various phone numbers, but with no success. Does anyone have any ideas?
ackurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #763
Mortier

I too had some problems of a similar nature. Having an external modem, I was able to reset it and that seemed to clear up the problem. I would pursue looking into modem problems. An external modem seems to work great and I have been using the unit from Weaknees for a number of years. Should you have problems "...failure to load", then I would suspect the hard drive. I just replaced my unit with a replacement from the same source. New HD works great and replacement process was a breeze. Another approach to an external modem is adding a card to allow NET calls, but I am not familiar with the installation process.
Mortier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:34 PM   #764
Brad516

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackurv View Post
I am still having this issue with a series 1 Tivo, the Setup Call completes successfully, but during the Program Call, the download keeps failing with a Call Interrupted error. I've tried at various times, using various phone numbers, but with no success. Does anyone have any ideas?
I've had the same problem for a couple of weeks. To say it's annoying would be an understatement. There's nothing wrong with my hardware. Again.

Last edited by Brad516 : 02-18-2010 at 09:45 PM.
Brad516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #765
rt1027

Shocked and somewhat surprised.

I've had the download call interruption problem on my S2 about 2 years ago and repeat guide setup solved my problem.

Problem returned a month ago. Called support this morning and they gave me the usual try a line filter (which I usually figure they recommend when they don't have a real answer) or exchange / upgrade my S2 and loose my lifetime service. Just plugged in a dsl line filter I have and the forced download worked first time.

I guess this is another example of my being narrow-minded.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 AM   #766
sandi_k

So add me to the list...Series 1 Tivo, with no new program guide data loaded for a week.

I've tried test calls - all successful. I force the daily call - all failed.

I unplugged for 1 minute, forced a call, failed.

I unplugged for 15 minutes, forced a call, failed.

I've gotten as far as "3% data downloaded" before I get the failure to load data error message.

I read the earlier December messages, and decided 50/50 was workable, and tried the Guided Setup. Only to hang. Now I'm stuck, and it won't let me exit it.

This is an unmodified, unhacked, factory unit. Any advice?

Yours in adversity....

Sandi
sandi_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:26 PM   #767
pixel4

Question Philips SERIES 1 CONNECTING

TIVO Jerry:
I have a brand new Philips HDR 312 Serie 1 that has never been used and I am have a connecting problem, My account was set up on 11/27/2010 and I spoke to your representive on several ocassions but no one was able to help me with my problem, My series 1 is good and I believe that the number it is connecting to is the problem.

Please advise.
pixel4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 09:26 AM   #768
ewolfram

I'm having trouble connecting again (as many of us did back in Dec/Jan 2009). This is a series 1 Tivo Philips and I'm dialing into a NYC number. The modem connects and starts downloading data...then it fails at some point during the download. Knowing that the download is accumulative, for the past two days I've been manually attempting to call constantly while I work. Even though I've seen the tivo in "download" status, all in all, for way over 2 or 3 hours, the Tivo never gets to the point where it's loading the data, which leads me to believe that it's not actually downloading data. This is the same set up that I've used in the past...same phone, same line, same dial in number -- nothing has changed on my end. Is anybody else being frustrated with this again?
ewolfram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #769
Mortier

Failue to Complete Download

Once again I am cursed with the inability to complete a download. I thought it might be the internal modem, so I switched to an external that was in reserve.....problem continues. I can't help but think that TIVO is messing around with software that is faulty. I tried several different local phone numbers for the local TIVO updating data and that did not help. Each time I am told that the call was a failure because the phone line was needed by another originator.....maybe my Verizon line has periodic dropouts which cause this problem? Today, my DSL was down for several hours?
Old 12-13-2010, 07:34 AM   #770
dbenrosen

Although I have finally decommissioned my Series 1, I find it curious that this problem seems to surface each year in December. There must be some connection.
dbenrosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:15 AM   #771
Mortier

Smile Failure to Download FIXED!

Looking back over the past four pages of this thread, I see the one thing recommended most is to redo a Guided Setup. Granted, some end up in a dreaded loop, but that seems to be the last best hope given by TIVO. I proceeded and accomplished a full download. I did not lose Season Passes, programs recorded, and To Do. Counting the downtime to reload programs, reset channels and fill guide, the whole process is more like 6 hours than the quoted 30 minutes, but so far (knock wood), I have continued to download and update guide for two days. I believe one of two problems developed: 1) TIVO was up to its year end antics again requiring us to become reaquainted with our system or 2) My local power supplier managed to pass through a surge/dropout during a download/loading process and corrupt the hard drive. Tampa Bay Area

Last edited by Mortier : 12-17-2010 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #772
Mortier

History Repeats

True to its nature, my Tivo (Series 1 lifetime) again refused to LOAD data almost one year after the last episode. It would download, but no complete load, despite doing forced downloads and restarts over and over. Only the 5+ hour process of doing the Guided Setup solved its problems. Strangely, our second Tivo just put on line this year (Series 2 lifetime) showed the same problems, just a week earlier. I am still thinking this is Tivos way of inducing a "bug" in the download stream so as to induce present owners into upgrading their systems. Any other ideas out there?
Old 12-03-2011, 09:16 AM   #773
lillevig
Hot in West Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortier View Post
True to its nature, my Tivo (Series 1 lifetime) again refused to LOAD data almost one year after the last episode. It would download, but no complete load, despite doing forced downloads and restarts over and over. Only the 5+ hour process of doing the Guided Setup solved its problems. Strangely, our second Tivo just put on line this year (Series 2 lifetime) showed the same problems, just a week earlier. I am still thinking this is Tivos way of inducing a "bug" in the download stream so as to induce present owners into upgrading their systems. Any other ideas out there?
My S1 often takes several tries per day to successfully complete a connection and usually does a reset during one of the failed ones (I can tell by the channel banner). It eventually succeeds so I don't worry about it. I've also seen it fail to complete a load but still show that it has extended the date of the channel data. Not sure what gets messed up to cause the reset.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #774
beejay

My S1 has started failing at "loading series". If I reboot and force a call, it works...and then fails at the next connection.

I don't know if this is associated with not having anything in the ToDo list or not (but that is the only thing that I changed...switched recordings to my new Elite.)
S2DT - 186 hours

"For some people, even 10 TiVo DVRs is not overkill."
TiVoOpsMgr
Director, Svc. Ops

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #775
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortier View Post
I think maybe they have trouble paying their phone bills toward the end of the year, but I've started to wonder if this isn't a way to keep lifetimed S1s from connecting long enough that they can be declared out of service and removed as the justification for your MSDs.

I've got a lifetimed S1 Philips whose internal modem died about 3 or 4 years ago.

Built a serial cable and ran it for quite a while on an external modem, then got a TurboNet card for it and that worked until about a year ago when like so many others it started having problems. Went back and forth from TurboNet to ext. modem until finally connected and eventually went back to using TurboNet with no problems. Replaced TurboNet with CacheCard a few months ago, entire TiVo seemed to take a day or so to adjust to it, then everything just worked.

Until a few days ago.

Couldn't connect via Ethernet, went back to external modem, didn't work either, went back and forth, finally got modem to work at 9.6 about a day ago, just tried Ethernet again, still doesn't work.

Happens same time of year twice, and for some people apparently this is the third year in a row, co-incidence?

Or as Auric Goldfinger said, once is happenstance, twice is co-incidence, the third time is enemy action.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:56 PM   #776
cybergal

wow... I also have a series 1 and I just noticed a few days ago as it said it was running out of programming data. Like many of you, my modem died years ago I have had this TiVo since 2002 and so I networked it.. plugged it in to a dlink bridge and thaty would connect to my wifi and it was working great up until 2 weeks ago I guess. I also contacted TiVo support last night. And the last connection they see for it is 2 weeks ago. But they say they can't help me with modified TiVo. This box has 200 hrs and life time subscription. I would hate to loose it... I discovered the bridge wen't bad and so I rigged an old router to act as a bridge but I still can't connect. I know it works cause I plug in laptop with wifi turned off.. and I can get to the internet on it. So it could be the nic. I disconnected my home phone and got a magicjack years ago... it tries to dial but then says it can't connect. I happen tohave another series 1 I inherited from my dad, the hd on it died so I got a new one with an image on it... It tries to dial out on the magicjack but also can't connect.. I wonder what would happen if I clone my hd on my original and put it on the other ? Does anyone know if the TiVo identifier is inserted by the device or is it in the software ?
cybergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:36 PM   #777
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergal View Post
wow... I also have a series 1 and I just noticed a few days ago as it said it was running out of programming data. Like many of you, my modem died years ago I have had this TiVo since 2002 and so I networked it.. plugged it in to a dlink bridge and thaty would connect to my wifi and it was working great up until 2 weeks ago I guess. I also contacted TiVo support last night. And the last connection they see for it is 2 weeks ago. But they say they can't help me with modified TiVo. This box has 200 hrs and life time subscription. I would hate to loose it... I discovered the bridge wen't bad and so I rigged an old router to act as a bridge but I still can't connect. I know it works cause I plug in laptop with wifi turned off.. and I can get to the internet on it. So it could be the nic. I disconnected my home phone and got a magicjack years ago... it tries to dial but then says it can't connect. I happen tohave another series 1 I inherited from my dad, the hd on it died so I got a new one with an image on it... It tries to dial out on the magicjack but also can't connect.. I wonder what would happen if I clone my hd on my original and put it on the other ? Does anyone know if the TiVo identifier is inserted by the device or is it in the software ?
The way that TiVo knows which TiVo is which TiVo is by the TiVo Service Number.

You can find the TSN on the sticker on the back, but when the TiVo phones home (even if it does it via internet) and the server wants to know the TSN, the motherboard has gotten the TSN off of the "crypto chip" and stored it on the hard drive somewhere.

As far as I know everytime the TiVo boots up it checks that number against the crypto chip to make sure it has the right one on the hard drive (which is why when you restore an image from the same model but not from that exact machine it has to go through the process of marrying the drive and the motherboard that forces you to clear and delete everything and go through Guided Setup again).

When the server gets the TSN reported to it, it checks it in the database and that's where it gets the account status to relay back to the TiVo.

So lifetime is tied to the TSN, which means it's tied to the crypto chip, which up through the first Series 3 is a separate chip on the motherboard which can be moved to another of the same model board and the TiVo servers will think it's the same unit, and that's how you can save your lifetime sub.

It takes someone who knows what they're doing soldering and unsoldering Surface Mount Devices and is set up to deal with SMDs.

When you say you networked your PLS'ed S1, does that mean a Turbonet card or Cache Card?

If so, transfer it to the other S1 and see if it'll connect, just to possibly test the card, but it's likely that what you're running into is flaky service from the TiVo servers and the only cure for that is to keep forcing connections (via internet in your case) until it finally works.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:23 AM   #778
MurrayJimW

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybergal View Post
You'll most likely never get a connection through using a Magicjack. Magicjack uses VOIP technology and the modem inside your series one simply can't use it (at least not without lots and lots of experimenting and tinkering with dial prefixes and then only maybe). It's looking for a plain old telephone line.

My guess is that it's Tivo's servers again and you should keep forcing connections with the Turbonet card.
MurrayJimW is offline   Reply With Quote