Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Underground
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-09-2010, 01:00 AM   #451
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynine View Post
1. Is there a way to switch the current tuner?
LIVE TV button switches tuners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnynine View Post
2. Is there a way to request the current channel on each tuner? When I connect it only shows one channel, something like:

CH_STATUS 123 LOCAL

3. I noticed in an earlier post someone used the SETCH command to change channels and received a channel for both LOCAL and REMOTE, however I only get a response for LOCAL.

Thanks,
Johnny
For Example:

To set a tuner to 2.1 and the other to 7.2

SETCH 2 1
IRCODE LIVETV
SETCH 7 2

You would have to have CAPS LOCK'd and be a very fast typist or the entry would timeout fairly quickly.

I've done it using the commands on a Notepad file and doing copy/Paste works.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 01:40 AM   #452
johnnynine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
LIVE TV button switches tuners.
Excellent, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
You would have to have CAPS LOCK'd and be a very fast typist or the entry would timeout fairly quickly.

I've done it using the commands on a Notepad file and doing copy/Paste works.
I'm writing a driver for the J9 Automation Engine so I'm sending the commands programmatically.

It looks like when you switch tuners you just get a single CH_STATUS command for the LOCAL channel, so you can't reliably know what channel is on the other tuner.

Johnny
johnnynine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:51 PM   #453
jb1677

Thanks for the apps here guys, I had been looking for a Win32 app to do what I had been doing with the iphone for a while. The Python app (under windows) is working like a charm!
jb1677 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #454
dddanmar
tivo retinas

Cool

Hi everyone!

I got a case of 'I really need something to do'itis on Sunday and started looking into what I could do with our Tivo short of pulling it apart. This thread came in very handy!

My blog post - examples, source and binaries for controlling a tivo with vb.NET, Python or PHP

dddanmar.net/?p=68

We wanted to stop having to find the remote, and two PCs are in the shed with the projector so I started on my desktop under Linux with Python / PHP / wbar / Apache to make a web remote and short cuts on my PC to change the channel. After awhile I swapped over and started building a vb.net application to go on my friends latop.

Its all been running now for a few days and its pretty sweet.

I plan on cleaning the vb.net code up, and getting the connection details as user editable instead of hard set for my home here. Grab the source zip if you just want to have a look, and all of the sources compile with free tools, either GNU or from .NETs express range.

I read earlier in the thread about how to do it in Python, so I'll post that one here:

import sys
import telnetlib

HOST = “192.168.1.104″
PORT = “31339″
tn = telnetlib.Telnet(HOST, PORT)
tn.write(”SETCH 010″ + chr(13))
tn.close()

Easy.
dddanmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:32 AM   #455
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhimmel View Post
Hmmm...
I just uncovered a little snafu with this app.

I have two S3's. Both are in my basement. They feed into an HDMI matrix distribution and are controlled remotely through my whole-house IR system. So, one is set to Remote Address 1, the other is set to Remote Address 2.

I noticed that occasionally something was going wrong and one of my S3's would lose its Remote Address setting. Today I found the problem. If you go into your system info screen with this app, it resets the Remote Address to (0), just like if you used a real remote that was set to (0) and accessed the System info screen.

This may be far beyond the ability of the Telnet access, but thought I would ask -
Is there ANY possible way that the virtual remote could query the current Remote Address setting and try to preserve it?
Otherwise I'll just have to try and remember to stay away from the System Info screen when using it.

By the way, wmcbrine, I use this little app ALL the time. I have a TV monitor in my home office. It is usually on while I'm at the computer. It's very handy to have the virtual remote open on the side of my screen for TiVo control while I am at the computer.

Jim H.
A follow-up question: Does this app (TiVo Remote 0.17) emulate a TiVo remote with Address (0), and reset the DVR to address (0) as well, regardless of being in the System Information screen?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

orangeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 10:34 AM   #456
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
I works over TCP/IP, not infared, so those IR remote codes do not apply.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:11 AM   #457
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fofer View Post
I works over TCP/IP, not infared, so those IR remote codes do not apply.
Thanks. I had a situation where my DVR stopped responding to my remote, and I successfully tried to control it using the app. I navigated to System Information and found Remote Address (0), which would explain why Remote Address (x) stopped working. However, I now gather from the post I quoted, it wasn't that the app had reset the Remote Address by merely using it; the Remote Address was reset by navigating to the System Information screen using the app. I'll do more testing to satisfy my own curiosity. I played hell this morning trying to get my remotes (including a Harmony) working and using the proper addresses. A daunting effort when not knowing exactly what is going on!

Old 02-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #458
bocktar

Haven't seen this on this thread...

IRCODE EXIT

Causes TiVo to go back to LiveTV from anywhere. Does not swap tuner if issued again. Appears to be a true exit command.

Tested and works on TiVo HD.

Is there another source for network commands that is more up to date?
bocktar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #459
Tanquen

TiVo Remote 0.17- Help.

Was just wondering what the PC keyboard short cuts are. I’ve figured out most of them the arrows, P for ‘Play’ and so on but when I use C for what I think is ‘Clear’ it deletes the show I’m on and the moves down several rungs and deletes another. ???

Everything else so far is great. I use it when I want to make lots of changes as it is so much faster than my pronto pro that is using learned commands and going RF to IR.

Thanks!
Tanquen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #460
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

ESC is clear. C is closed-caption toggle, a multi-code sequence.

You can see the full list by doing "remote.pyw -k" on the command line. There's a partial list in post #134, but it's outdated.

wmcbrine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #461
eht123

Here's hoping the software update to support the direct text entry on the new keypad remote also includes the corresponding telnet commands....
eht123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 AM   #462
Fofer
༺♥༻

TC CLUB MEMBER
FWIW, the new keypad remote is Bluetooth. But yes, updating the code to include corresponding telnet commands for specific text entry would be nice indeed.
Fofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #463
pmiranda

It'd be nice to change the keyboard shortcuts then, since I'd have plans for all the letters, numbers, and many symbols.
pmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:23 PM   #464
orangeboy
yes, I AM orangeboy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmiranda View Post
It'd be nice to change the keyboard shortcuts then, since I'd have plans for all the letters, numbers, and many symbols.
Shortcuts should be able to be supported using upper/lower case. Just <shift> or caps lock when you want to access a shortcut.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #465
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The KEYBOARD command works on the TiVo Premiere. It works like this:

KEYBOARD H\r
KEYBOARD E\r
KEYBOARD L\r
KEYBOARD L\r
KEYBOARD O\r

More later.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:50 AM   #466
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.18

This version supports direct keyboard input on the Premiere (only, sorry). To use this mode, set the "Cols:" value to 0. It doesn't work in any HME apps yet, as far as I've seen. Where it doesn't work (including S3/HD), it will be safely ignored. I recommend using this mode whenever possible, since it's not only faster, but has less risk of side effects from the cursor being in the wrong place, or from arrows being read at the wrong time, after the TiVo has moved the cursor out of the search box.

This isn't as exciting as it might've been, given my other discovery of the night.

This version also includes some Zeroconf fixes, and detection of Australian/NZ TiVos and the Premiere in non-Zeroconf mode.

[See sig for latest version.]

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-02-2010 at 10:29 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:58 AM   #467
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

What I haven't found yet are the telnet IRCODEs for the A/B/C/D buttons -- not the QWERTY ones, but the multi-colored ones on the Premiere remote just above the number pad.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #468
Zaph32

Found that it will accept KEYBOARD SPACE but it doesn't type a space.
Zaph32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:28 AM   #469
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.19

Ah, thanks; in my eagerness, I neglected to test space and numbers. This version corrects that. (I just send IRCODE FORWARD for space now, as in the arrow-based keyboard code, and IRCODE NUM0 etc. for numbers.)

Also, I'm told that the IRCODEs for the new buttons are "ACTION_A", etc. Now I just have to figure out how to fit a four-button row into my three-column format.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:09 AM   #470
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.20

OK, finally, here's a version that's fully Premiere-ready. I've added A, B, C and D buttons, along with corresponding keyboard shortcuts. I've also added function key shortcuts to match what I've found with USB keyboards on the Premiere. "Aspect" has been relabelled "Zoom", as on the Premiere, with 'Z' as a keyboard shortcut for it.

Adding the new buttons entailed significant restructuring, which I've taken advantage of to reduce excess spacing -- despite having an extra row of buttons, this version is actually less tall than previous ones.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-11-2010 at 12:26 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 12:25 AM   #471
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.21

OK, in addition to being Premiere-ready, this new version does something it should've done a long time ago: uses a single window instead of destroying and creating multiple windows. It looks the same, but it eliminates the "losing focus" issue, and is slightly faster.

This should be the last new version for a while. Sorry for the glut.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 04-22-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2010, 07:27 PM   #472
bradleys
It'll be fine....

I am going to be building a remote system using an iPad and the Commandfusion software. This is interesting, I might play around with controling the Tivo using this meathod rather than the IR blaster...

I wonder if the network connection sends any information back through the stream? It would be very neat if it could send the guide data or the now playing list to the remote and allow you to select what you want to watch from there!

I am sure that is far too much to ask for... But it sure would be cool!
TiVo Premier (2 TB Upgrade)
TiVo Roamio Plus
TiVo Mini
iPad TiVo app
TiVo Stream (Sold)
Personal Video Share powered by PyTiVo

Last edited by bradleys : 04-11-2010 at 08:13 PM.
bradleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 05:56 AM   #473
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Bug Alert: IRCODE EXIT on Premiere

Do not issue the IRCODE EXIT command from an IP-based remote while in the new HD menu system on a TiVo Premiere! You will be very sorry if you do so, as it causes nearly all IR commands to be disabled (from a "real IR remote" as well as from the IP-based remote).

Only the arrow buttons will still work. You will end up having to pull the power plug to reboot.

(However, the IRCODE EXIT command still functions normally, without any disastrous side-effects, if it is issued while an "old GUI" screen is displayed. This is the case even if the HD GUI is enabled, but you have navigated to one of the menus or information panels that is in the "old GUI" style simply because it has not yet been converted to the "new GUI".)

wmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 09:00 AM   #474
wmccain
Custom AV Consultant

Another annoying glitch that I have encountered when using IP-based remote control of the TiVo Premiere: If you navigate to the panel that has the checkboxes for specifying the resolutions that your TV supports, all IP-based commands are ignored on that panel. It appears to queue the ignored commands and they get executed later, after you exit the "resolutions" panel.

Even worse, once you have entered some IP-originated commands, most of the navigation buttons on the IR remote get ignored (or queued) as well. However, you can "escape" by pressing the TiVo button on the IR remote. (Unlike the problem with IRCODE EXIT that I reported above, a power-cord reboot is not required.)

However, you can use IP-based commands to navigate to the "resolutions" panel, then pick up your IR remote and use it for all navigation and selections within that panel. In that case, everything works okay.

wmccain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #475
jfh3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
OK, in addition to being Premiere-ready, this new version does something it should've done a long time ago: uses a single window instead of destroying and creating multiple windows. It looks the same, but it eliminates the "losing focus" issue, and is slightly faster.

This should be the last new version for a while. Sorry for the glut.
I can't get Tivo remote to run using 2.x or 3.x - not sure why it doesn't work. Is there an idiot's guide to running this ap somewhere?
jfh3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:36 PM   #476
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Nothing special is required. It's 2.x only. There are some installations of Python that don't come with Tkinter. If you're running it from the GUI and don't have an error message, run it from the command line. Otherwise, you haven't given me enough to go on.

There's no "idiot's guide", but I am working on a README (finally) for the next version. It also does a better job of capturing errors to report them to the GUI.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:51 AM   #477
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

TiVo Remote 0.22

In fact, it's up right now.

As noted above, changes in this version include stronger attempts to catch errors for display to the GUI, instead of leaving tracebacks on the console, and a README.txt file. Another big change is that, instead of posting it as an attachment here, I've opened a repo on GitHub:

http://github.com/wmcbrine/tivoremote

Direct download link:

http://github.com/downloads/wmcbrine...emote-0.22.zip

I also realized that the keyboard shortcut for the "C" button conflicted with the one for closed-caption toggling. So now there's no shortcut for CC, which is probably better anyway (it's one of those potentially dangerous multi-code sequences), if slightly less convenient.

This version also attempts to reconnect when it sees that the connection has been dropped, which isn't as useful as it sounds, since it takes a while for it to notice. And the code is restructured a bit to make it (I hope) easier to read.

Old 04-22-2010, 11:02 PM   #478
Sidnicious

Don't forget TELEPORT STANDBY.
Sidnicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:11 PM   #479
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

I have a Python 3.x version if anyone needs one. Tkinter only, and no Zeroconf yet.

Old 07-28-2010, 05:51 AM   #480
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

11.0h arrived on my S3 this morning. It adds support for the new keyboard remote (and other USB keyboards), and I assumed that it would also support the KEYBOARD command via the telnet interface, as on the Premiere, since to me those features go hand in hand. Sadly, this appears not to be the case. However, 11.0h does add support for the A/B/C/D buttons.

Last edited by wmcbrine : 07-28-2010 at 06:06 AM.