TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-04-2010, 02:06 PM   #91
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I don't think Chumly is actually Hoss's childhood friend. I bet he's just an actor hired for the show.

Scratch that. Not just an actor, but a Master Thespian!
Old 01-04-2010, 02:56 PM   #92
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

Man, he's terrible, isn't he? Almost to the unbelievable point.
YCantAngieRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:49 AM   #93
Supfreak26
Live Like Noone Else

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I don't think Chumly is actually Hoss's childhood friend. I bet he's just an actor hired for the show.

Scratch that. Not just an actor, but a Master Thespian!
That's what I think, too. He can't be THAT stupid. I don't know if he's an actor but he's definitely playing up the stupid factor for entertainment value. I'm ok with that. I think he's hilarious.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:34 PM   #94
Kablemodem
Get the ketchup.

I loved when he made the wine and added wine for color.
Kablemodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:06 PM   #95
pmyers

I'd love to see some behind the scene stuff on how they sell this stuff. They can't just be waiting for a 1 in a million collector to come in and buy. I think it would be neat to see them tracking down buyers.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:24 PM   #96
markymark_ctown

like this show. it's like an interesting "antiques road show"
markymark_ctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #97
mpar1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I'd love to see some behind the scene stuff on how they sell this stuff. They can't just be waiting for a 1 in a million collector to come in and buy. I think it would be neat to see them tracking down buyers.
They sell on ebay.
mpar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:12 PM   #98
Mikeyis4dcats

I read on another forum that Chumlee is actually fairly intelligent, and it's all an act.
Mikeyis4dcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 07:18 PM   #99
nmiller855

I absolutely love the old man. He reminds me so much of my dad. The prank they pulled on him about the Continental as great. I loved when Chum Lee gave the old man a coin off of his desk wrapped as a Christmas present.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #100
jkbird59

whats their user name on ebay?
jkbird59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:13 PM   #101
latrobe7
Just one more thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkbird59 View Post
whats their user name on ebay?
goldsilverpawn
latrobe7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #102
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpar1 View Post
They sell on ebay.
Would be hard to sell a lot of there stuff on Ebay though
Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 AM   #103
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFriday View Post
You can either Pawn something (get a loan with an item as collateral). If you do this you get a set amount of time to pay the money back, you also pay interest. If you default they keep the item and have the right to sell it. Or you can just sell them your item to them and they can immediately sell it.
And to further clarify, they had a sign on the wall that said you had 120 days to pick the item back up, and they charged 10% interest per month, along with a processing fee.

They also said verbally they give people an unwritten 14 days beyond the 120 days, just in case.

Stumbled across the show this past week (while being snowed in) and found it entertaining enough to SP.
Donbadabon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:22 AM   #104
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

We love this show. Chumlee is the best.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #105
nmiller855

The dune buggy episode really made me laugh. The kite episode is classic Chumlee.
nmiller855 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:10 PM   #106
scottjf8
Dada and Kaya.

I dig how anytime they take a gun out to test it, they always have Chum shoot it first
Old 02-16-2010, 11:52 PM   #107
MarkofT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
And to further clarify, they had a sign on the wall that said you had 120 days to pick the item back up, and they charged 10% interest per month, along with a processing fee.

They also said verbally they give people an unwritten 14 days beyond the 120 days, just in case.
And you can pay the full interest and they will extend for anothe 120 days. Basically you pay off the pawn in full and they give you a new one.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 10:33 AM   #108
pmyers

This really has turned into one of my favorite shows. I just love all of the random stuff that comes in there!
Old 02-17-2010, 02:30 PM   #109
billypritchard
Embiggener

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
This really has turned into one of my favorite shows. I just love all of the random stuff that comes in there!
I like it a lot, but the format is pretty rigid. Same phrases for every person who comes in. Most of the special items fall into certain categories (guns, machinery, coins/memoribilia). I'd like there to be more variety in the items.

The Old Man is awesome.
Old 02-17-2010, 03:17 PM   #110
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoosierFan View Post
We've caught a handful of these. Do they ever show them selling the stuff the buy? I think that would be very interesting. He always talks about being able to make a profit on things, I would love to see if he does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
I've never seen them sell an item they bought, but there was a show recently that revealed the profit made on some of the items they've bought.
On an episode I saw the other day, they sold a Rolex watch that they had purchased earlier. Big Hoss bet the old man that he could sell it for $5000. If Big Hoss won, the old man would have to wear in some baggy jeans to work. If Big Hoss lost, he would have to wear a suit and tie to work for 3 weeks.

As far as pawn shops go, when I was in the Army from 1987-1990, there were LOTS of pawn shops outside the Army base. I bought all of my stereo equipment at the various pawn shops. You could even find the same items at several stores and get them to meet or beat each other's prices.

Most of the stuff came from GI's that needed drinking money so they'd pawn the stuff they bought when they had money. Sometimes the guys would pawn their kevlar helmets, boots, uniforms, etc and then when they didn't have them for our next inspections, they'd get written up and sometimes even lose rank/pay, etc for selling gov't equipment.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #111
Steve_Martin
Grandminion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kablemodem View Post
I loved when he made the wine and added wine for color.
I can't believe they actually drank it too.
Sent from my desktop.
Steve_Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #112
janry

I got a kick out of the man trying to sell the 5 signed Pete Rose baseball cards but Rick said they were fake so he wouldn't buy them. Then the guy says he knows they are real and he'd bet Pete Roses's reputation on it. LOL

Last edited by janry : 02-17-2010 at 04:56 PM.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:35 PM   #113
ElJay

Yeah, the formula is feeling way too scripted. Although the items generally are rather interesting to hear about.

Old gun comes in. Is it real or not? Expert says it's real. Ok I'll buy it, but it will be worth more if we have a successful test fire. Let's go to the firing range and test it out.

Old <priceless artifact> comes in. Wow, this is great. I'd love to have it in my store. Expert gives a guess about an auction price. I wonder if I can get it for a good price? Customer asks for big bucks. No deal

Big ticket item comes in. That's a lot of money to lock up, but if we restore it we'll double/triple our money. Shop fixes the item and everybody is happy.
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:54 PM   #114
pmyers

I think the items have a good variety: motorcycle, coke machine, chair, wagon, spoon, chest, clock, etc. Of course there are going to be a lot of guns....it's a pawn shop

and being in sales.....I can say that most transactions follow a usual "script".
Old 02-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #115
Mars Rocket
Loosely wound

Agree that's it repetitive in process, and comes across as heavily scripted at times - every time Chumlee does something *really* stupid I can't help but think the producers are pushing him to do it - but it's still really interesting, educational*, and fun. Plus it's family-friendly so I can watch it with my kids. There aren't too many shows for which that's all true.

* I wonder how much research Rick does before going on camera and spewing forth all his seemingly extemporaneous knowledge of { baseball cards, antique clocks, revolutionary war guns, art, etc. }. His breadth of knowledge is simply staggering as seen on TV.

Last edited by Mars Rocket : 02-18-2010 at 01:21 AM.
Mars Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 AM   #116
omnibus
cowboy, yee-ha

One of my favorites was the antique hand made cuckoo clock. Expert says that if the cuckoo works it will be worth thousands more. Then they all hover over the clock while the expert checks to see.
Spoiler:
it worked

Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #117
MarkofT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars Rocket View Post
* I wonder how much research Rick does before going on camera and spewing forth all his seemingly extemporaneous knowledge of { baseball cards, antique clocks, revolutionary war guns, art, etc. }. His breadth of knowledge is simply staggering as seen on TV.
I don't see him having to research a whole lot. He seems to know the generalities and key things to pick up on but the depth of knowledge isn't there and he has been surprised by things now and then. He has been doing this for 20 years or so and remember, this is his job. Lots of time to learn new tricks from his buddies.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 07:38 AM   #118
ellinj
Seems Very Friendly

I am always surprised about the endless supply of experts that he defers to. Who knew that there would be so many in the Las Vegas area.
ellinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #119
cheerdude
Reed &amp;amp;amp; Juliet's CPA

If you are the only family-owned pawn shops in the area... and probably one of the biggest; you can always find a way to get experts to help.
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 08:45 AM   #120
innocentfreak

Cash helps too since there is usually a consultant fee paid to experts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote