TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-09-2009, 10:39 PM   #421
SirMontego

Hi guys,

Can you help me figure out my monthly Oceanic cost of getting TIVO HD?

Right now, I'm paying for Oceanic Digital Cable with the DVR and my bill comes out to $116 per month. I have one cable box which includes the DVR, HD stations, and Road Runner. I don't have HBO or any special stations. Oceanic gives a discount for having Road Runner and Digital Cable so I can't just subtract items.

From what I understand, I need to pay for Oceanic Digital Cable, 2 cable cards, and 2 HD feeds, and I'll still be paying for Road Runner. Did I miss anything? How much is this going to cost me per month? Is there some sort of Oceanic discount?

thanks for all your help!
SirMontego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 11:53 PM   #422
Icarus

You will only need to pay for one cable card (multistream) and one HD feed. If you are adding this service, it will be 1 duplicate service fee plus the HD pack, if you get the HD pack. If this is your only digital service, it's a bit different. You pay a small rental fee for the cable card instead of the duplicate service fee. The HD Pack is optional either way, but you have to pay for it at each outlet where you want it. (the tivo is a single outlet. If you are keeping their HD DVR, that's another outlet).

It's only those of us that have the original Tivo S3 that can't use a single multistream cablecard that have the problem with paying for the extra cc/duplicate service fees. The Tivo HD and HD XL support the multistream cards, so you won't have that problem.

If you are replacing the DVR, your bill should be roughly the same as it is now, maybe a tad cheaper. Not sure how their package pricing affects that. They have other packages they can move you to that exclude the DVR. If you are adding the Tivo to your existing service and keeping the DVR, it's approximately $15 + tax for (1) duplicate service fee plus the HD Pack.

-David

Last edited by Icarus : 09-09-2009 at 11:58 PM.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 03:26 AM   #423
redhotlava

David's info seems right to me, altho I'm still trying to sort out my last bill. OTWC took about three months to come up with the cablecard and then another month for the tuning adapter. To their credit they are discounting the installation fee of $33 by $20 because of the delay (they had promised the TA at the same time as the CC and it didn't happen), so my total bill including standard, digital cable service, DVR and Roadrunner is $167... but that includes HD entertainment pak, HBO and Showtime, the installation charge of $13 (after disc) and a little over two months of duplicated service. So, assuming I return their DVD (which I most certainly will... I only kept it to make sure the Tivo worked correctly and it almost does), and deduct those fees that will not recur, my bill should be around $130. Not bad, all things considered... of course we're in Hawaii, so your mileage may vary.

Anyway, everything works well except for the fast forward function which sometimes works (altho, it's about the slowest fast forward I have EVER seen... only increases time about 1/3. i.e., a 24 second real-time segment takes 16 seconds in fast forward) and sometimes doesn't. When it doesn't, the sound goes away, but the picture moves at real time. Occasionally it jumps and goes a bit faster, only to go back to real-time again. Then on other programs it works perfectly. I've tried rebooting the Tivo and changing the batteries in the remote. Any thots?

Aloha from the Big Island of Hawaii!

~ Mick Kalber
redhotlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:33 AM   #424
clark_kent

If FF is not working at the 3 speeds, you could have a bad remote (borrow a friend/neighbors remote to try), you could have a bad IR sensor in the TiVo, or you could have IR interference (try holding the remote like a foot from the TiVo); the batteries could also be bad/weak and worth another try.

A FF trick: if you push the ->| button while fast forwarding, you skip to the next tick mark on the time line.
clark_kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 01:38 AM   #425
Todd B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller555 View Post
You folks see this in the mail? http://www.oceanic.com/products/television/hdtv/notice I hope that this means that I can reduce my costs since most of my favorite channels will be moving to their standard tv package. I'm guessing that I'll still need a tuning adapter for the HD stuff.
Yes, you'll still need the TA to access any HD stuff, regardless of what package it's part of.

But yeah, it's ridiculous. They've decimated the value of the HD Pak. For my $6.95, I used to get 45 HD channels that weren't available any other way. Now I get less than half that for the same cost. I might try calling them to see if I can get a price reduction or I might just cancel it.
Todd B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #426
HiKent

Tuning Adaptor and Radio Channels

I don't get the radio (or Hawaiian Music Channel 800) when I've got my tuning adaptor hooked up. If I remove it (just unplug the USB), the audio-only channels come back.

Does anyone know how to contact engineering at Oceanic? As we all know, the TiVo uses the lineup from the tuning adaptor when one is connected, and the lineup from the cablecard when there's no tuning adaptor. Somehow, the audio-only channels didn't make it into the tuning adaptor's channel lineup.

Customer service 1) suspected my wiring 2) told me my TiVo doesn't support the format 3) want's to send a repair person.

This came back today because I had to unhook tuning adaptor to get the NOAA channel (for Tsunami warning updates). We're back in a valley & have no OTA radio or TV.

Thanks.
HiKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #427
Icarus

Use the contact us link on their website, and presumably they will send the issue to Nick S, who seems to be the cablecard/ta/tivo guy there.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #428
Icarus

Did they move Cinemax HD (MAXHD, 1622 in Kahului, Maui Digital Lineup) off of SDV on all the islands? They said they switched it back to non-SDV around Dec 15, when a bunch of new HD channels showed up.

My tivo still thinks its an SDV channel. Techs replaced one of my cable cards, but it made no difference. (You can tell from cablecard and tuning adapter "test channels" menu items. One of them skips SDV channels, the other selects only SDV channels when using the up/down channel control on the remote.)

I've been waiting for them to resolve this since then, but nothing at all.

Anybody else? I can't wait until the new HD DTV Tivo is out there so we have a choice.

-David
Old 01-15-2010, 09:59 PM   #429
Icarus

never mind, it's working again all of a sudden, and I've also been told that those techs were wrong, MaxHD is still SDV. They never did get back to me. Can't wait for the new DTV box, so I can dump OTW.

-David
Old 02-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #430
ksquaredkey

Current status of Oceanic and Tuning Adapters?

Hi Folks,

I have been interested in getting a Series 3 (now an HD XL) for several years now
but put on the brakes when Oceanic started moving to SDV. From what I have been reading here, it sounds like the Tuning Adapters are now finally available in quantity and should allow me to record my favorite HD channels - HD Discovery, HD Syfy, HD BBCA, etc. However, Time Warner's program line-up tool still lists these as unavailable with CableCard, as well as the OnDemands, etc.

So my questions are 1) is TW's tool behind on the CableCard/Tuning Adapter combination? If so 2) what *will* I lose with CC/TA into an HD XL on Oceanic?
Besides the really, really crappy SA 8300HD, that is!

Mahalo,
K^2
ksquaredkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 10:01 PM   #431
Icarus

Not sure why they say that. We might theorize that there are non-tivo cable card based devices (some TVs had cable card slots, for example) that don't/can't/will never ever work with the tuning adapter.

HD BBCA is fairly new. They recently added a batch of new HDs. That was one of them.

The other choice is to hold out a little longer and go with DirecTV whenever tivo gets around to releasing the new HD DTV box. Sat is the less expensive choice these days. I can't believe how much I pay for cable tv service. I suppose you could start with DTVs own box for now, and do a selective upgrade when the new DTV HD tivo box comes out.

-David
Old 02-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #432
ksquaredkey

Yeah, I had the same theory - that OTW was just CYA for non-TA capable devices. Or just got lazy and didn't want to add the distinction. I've got a co-worker on the mainland who CableCard'ed into his TV. I could not convince him that he really wants a DVR. I've been DVR since the DishPlayer 7200 back on the mainland - was one of the Dish 921 "betas" - ugh. I was just about to switch to DirecTivo when Murdock took over and killed it. Unfortunately, DTV is not an option for me. I need Az 92.2 and Elevation 24.9 according to DTV's pointer app. The peak of Hulalai blocks me to about 27-28. I have friends towards Keauhou that can shoot over the shoulder but I am just plum-out-of-luck.

My plan is to wait and see what's announced on March 2nd (I suspect the new DirecTivo HD) and then decide on whether to pull the trigger on an HD XL.

Mahalo for the sanity check,
K^2
ksquaredkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #433
Icarus

1201 - 1206 olympic channels showed up the other day?

These are the channel#s I see in Kahului, Maui Digital Lineup on my S3.

1201 - Olympic Mosaic - I get "not provided by the TA", is it an on-demand thing?
1202 - HIUSAP - Appears to be the same as 1555, but with TZ offset (incorrect) guide data?
1203 - OCMSNBC - duplicate of 1107?
1204 - CNBCHD -duplicate of 1116?
1205 - KHNLDT -Duplicate of 1008?
1206 - UHD - Duplicate of 1605?

I just checked the OTW HD DVR in the living room, the the guide data for 1202 is the same as 1555 there. I guess the tivo (tribune) data is wrong. Also there is no 1201, there's a 1207 Olympic Video on Demand channel there. That must be the correct channel# for what I'm showing as 1201, I guess. Neither are in the TAs map.

I guess I will disable the new duplicates? Not sure what's going on with these. Anybody know? I'll try to remember to check them when the full coverage starts on Saturday.

Happy recording everybody. How many hours of curling will you record?

Last edited by Icarus : 02-12-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #434
Icarus

grrr, lineup change today screwed up USAHD/1555, so the guide data is now skewed by 2 hours.

Were they trying to fix 1202? crap.

-David
Old 03-18-2010, 09:12 AM   #435
dbtom

Pricing for using Tivo Premiere

Hi all,

My parents live in Honolulu. They currently have 2 Series 2 Tivos hooked up to HDTVs using Oceanic analog. Needless to say, it doesn’t look so hot. My father wants to get a Tivo Premiere, but I thought it might end up costing them a lot since they don’t have digital cable.

Does anyone know what the additional cost would be to go to a cable card based DVR? Can you get a cable card without upgrading to digital cable? Right now I believe analog cable is part of their monthly maintenance. Really they only need the major networks in HD. I know they can tune these channels clear QAM, but Tivo won’t use them without a cable card.

For the pricing sheet I am guessing the cost for a Tivo Premiere will be:

$60 install

Monthly charges
~$20 upgrade from basic to digital
$2.54 (cable card- assuming M-Stream)
$0 (tuning adapter)
http://www.oceanic.com/products/tele..._cable/pricing
dbtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 09:55 PM   #436
Icarus

I have no idea if you can do what you want with OTW or not, or if it will work. For pricing, you should probably contact them. At one point or another, most of us have been surprised by their pricing for cable cards w/ Tivo plus the bundling they tend to do.

-David