TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 02-03-2010, 05:02 PM   #451
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzen View Post
Also, re: the host id issues. No matter how many different cards we tried, the host id was always the same for each of the S3 slots. It never changed.
I wonder if the changing host ID thing might be unique to the combo of a TivoHD and an M-Card?
Old 02-03-2010, 05:53 PM   #452
Grumock

Quote:
Also, re: the host id issues. No matter how many different cards we tried, the host id was always the same for each of the S3 slots. It never changed.
Right the Host IDs would never change unless you are changing out the HOST (TIVO). Now if both Host IDs were the same for both slots, that would be a TIVO issue. Normally the Hosts are close to the same with each slot except the last 2 or 3 numbers.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:53 PM   #453
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

There have been enough stories about cablecard problems to make me think there's got to be something to explain it. Are the cards themselves that flaky? Or is there some sort of extra sensitivity the cards have to the connection back to the head office? Just what the heck is going on with these things?
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #454
joanzen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Right the Host IDs would never change unless you are changing out the HOST (TIVO). Now if both Host IDs were the same for both slots, that would be a TIVO issue. Normally the Hosts are close to the same with each slot except the last 2 or 3 numbers.
Exactly. On mine, slot 1 ends in 847 and slot 2 853. Not sure why, according to a previous post, Comcast thought TiVo should issue a new one each time you insert a new card.
joanzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:02 PM   #455
pl1

Quote:
Exactly. On mine, slot 1 ends in 847 and slot 2 853. Not sure why, according to a previous post, Comcast thought TiVo should issue a new one each time you insert a new card.
Because it did issue a new HOST ID and DATA ID on my THD. I wrote down the before and after numbers. They changed with a new card in the same TiVo. And the tech expected it to change. Just reporting the facts.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 10:35 PM   #456
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
Because it did issue a new HOST ID and DATA ID on my THD. I wrote down the before and after numbers. They changed with a new card in the same TiVo. And the tech expected it to change. Just reporting the facts.
Just to add to this, when I switched from 2 S-Cards to 1 M-Card, the host ID that appeared for the M-Card did *not* match either of the host IDs that were showing up when I had the pair of S-Cards. Like pl1, I have no explanation.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #457
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
Just to add to this, when I switched from 2 S-Cards to 1 M-Card, the host ID that appeared for the M-Card did *not* match either of the host IDs that were showing up when I had the pair of S-Cards. Like pl1, I have no explanation.
I've been doing a little research on this and I found one comment that suggests Comcast does in fact generate the HOST ID and DATA ID, and that it does change if they delete a cableCARD. This may explain why my HOST ID changed.

I specifically remember my tech speaking with the offsite CSR. He asked him to delete the card in my THD and restore it to his inventory. Then he asked the offsite CSR to remove a new card from his inventory to put in my THD. After that was done, it was then installed in to my THD, and new fields were generated.

So, if in the other cases, the off site CSR did NOT delete the old card, the HOST ID presumably would NOT change. This may also mean that Comcast does in fact control both the HOST ID and DATA ID. Not the cableCARD itself.

(I'm still trying to figure out what actually generates the HOST ID and DATA ID, because we all know that moving the cableCARD to a new device generates new numbers. And I believe it would generate new numbers without Comcast even being connected.)

EDIT: Maybe, as long as the headend sees the the same host, it will allow that HOST ID, as long as the original cableCARD is not deleted from the Comcast side?

http://oddballupdate.com/2008/01/01/...nd-cablecards/

Quote:
Three calls later, I managed to get hold of another guy who was able to figure out what had happened. He added the card back to my account. Unfortunately, as I was soon to learn, when a CableCARD is deleted from a Comcast account, it generates a new Card ID — probably as a security measure. This breaks the “pairing” we had established with my TiVo box, since the “pair” consists of two values: the ID of the card, and the ID of the slot it’s installed in. If a card is not paired, it cannot receive any signals or packets sent to it by the cable company. So, the card was not able to get the messages about the channel lineup I should receive, and as a result, it only gave me the basic digital tier and the free-to-air HD channels. My Encore movie channels and extended HD tier was unavailable.

Last edited by pl1 : 02-03-2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 PM   #458
cjv2

Very interesting.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:39 AM   #459
joanzen

Quote:
Interesting. I suppose it's just different behavior between the two machines (HD vs S3). I assumed that the host id was a static identifier for a specific machine or, in the case of the S3, a slot within a machine. Then the cablecard provider would be able to associate a card to a specific host and prevent the use of that card with any other machine/host. Based on your experience, it doesn't work that way with the HD. I have no idea. It just shouldn't be so hard.

Last edited by joanzen : 02-04-2010 at 11:39 AM.
joanzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #460
test drive

Quote:
Interesting...It just shouldn't be so hard.
Well, here's my update...just spoke to Tivo technical support - very informed and customer oriented as always - and he confirmed what Comcast had reported to me, ie, for each new cable card, Tivo should generate a new host ID# for pairing...after i described all the issues, and then was able to generate a new host ID# with the same card in the 2nd slot, he confirmed that likely the first Tivo box slot was "bad". Very straightforward, informed and rapid reply this time without any dx bs....RichA, I am throwing in the towel

p.s. CSR promised Tivo would try to make it up to me somehow for the multiple firmware and hardware bugs i ran into over the multiple units that I had over the past few weeks, which I genuinely appreciated, but I told him I wasn't really in it for that, just wanted one that worked from "Welcome...", on. Great folks at Tivo...hope the QC catches up soon. Cheers.
test drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM   #461
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by test drive View Post
Well, here's my update<snip>
Understood...but that's too bad. So no TiVo at all? I'd give them one more chance, I'm sure they'd give you something in return. But I get it if you don't want to. In any case...best of luck with whatever you decide!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 01:08 PM   #462
politicks

Time Warner Cable - Incorrect Channels On M-Card

I had a multistream card installed in my TivoHD on Feb 5th. Once the tech called the home office, I tested a bunch of channels and figured everthing was good. I could tune ESPN SD, ESPN HD, and a bunch of others. I could not tune any of the SDV channels because I dont have a TA yet. Later that night my TivoHD was set to record Mad Money at 6:00PM and instead it recorded something on CMT. After some investigating I found that most channels above 10 and below the HD range (800-900) are not the same as on a regular TV or my cable box connnected TV. Has anyone seen this before? It's almost like the M-card is programmed for a different region. I have had 2 techs at my house since and they both tried to troubleshoot the cable box (which has nothing to do with the TivoHD).

Thanks,

Brian Barker
politicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #463
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by politicks View Post
Later that night my TivoHD was set to record Mad Money at 6:00PM and instead it recorded something on CMT.
Once you get your problems sorted out you should schedule 2 manual season passes for Mad Money. I record at 6PM and at 11PM (actually at 3PM and 8PM since I'm on the west coast). Don't want to miss a minute of Cramer's lunacy.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:27 AM   #464
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I've been avoiding having to have Charter send someone out. Even getting them to send a hit doesn't seem to help. All my channels come in, but it sucks sometime when I get home late at night and find out it didn't record anything. Thanks for the info though, nice to see I'm not alone. I might hold off until shows are airing reruns again. I'd hate to have Charter really screw things up and be without a Tivo at all for awhile.
UPDATE: (Hoping not to jinx anything ) I had a Comcast tech come out two weeks ago Saturday, and he installed a new cableCARD. That appears to have fixed the problem entirely for me so far. So, this is a cableCARD that worked fine for two years and just went bad. I believe it got worse every time that comcast sent a hit.

Timing wise, it coincides with a Netflix caused reboot (which also took out my hard drive). Could just be a cooincidence. Never the less, all is now good. There was no charge (that I'm aware of) and in fact I received three months free HBO for them having to come out twice in one month.

So, it may be worth letting Charter give you a new card.
Old 03-10-2010, 07:48 AM   #465
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quick question. I currently have two "S" cards in my Tivo HD. I've been experiencing some trouble and think the issue lies with the cablecards. If I have Charter come out and bring one "M" card to replace the "S" cards, should I take the "S" cards out and rerun guided setup or just wait till he gets here, pop out the "S" cards and put in the "M" card and have him initialize and validate it?
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:10 AM   #466
pl1

Quote:
Quick question. I currently have two "S" cards in my Tivo HD. I've been experiencing some trouble and think the issue lies with the cablecards. If I have Charter come out and bring one "M" card to replace the "S" cards, should I take the "S" cards out and rerun guided setup or just wait till he gets here, pop out the "S" cards and put in the "M" card and have him initialize and validate it?
Just wait. I do not think you will need to rerun anything. It just knows you have an M-Card and uses both tuners.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #467
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Just wait. I do not think you will need to rerun anything. It just knows you have an M-Card and uses both tuners.
Thanks. I would think that would be the case, but figured it wouldn't hurt to make sure.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:34 AM   #468
wkearney99
Bill Kearney

I swapped out the pair of S cards in my TivoHD for an M with no issues. The verizon tech had to call in the M card numbers but nothing had to be changed on the Tivo at all. It just understood how to use the single M card instead of the pair of S cards. And has worked without a single problem for quite a while now.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #469
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I finally decided to call Charter and have someone come to replace my two S cards with one M card. I was surprised that they had an appointment available today so I took it. Hopefully everything will go over smoothly. When I first got my Tivo HD a few years ago it took them 3 trips before they got it working. Hopefully since then they've learned some things and it will go off without a hitch.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:40 AM   #470
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I'm curious if all cable companies regularly act this way. Charter missed their appointment yesterday. I finally called around 6:30 pm and was told they were really backed up and they weren't going to make it. This is probably the 3rd time I've scheduled an appointment for Charter and they simply didn't who up without calling and telling me. I've never dealt with any other company that does this on such a regular basis. Are they so comfortable with their "almost" monopoly that they just dont care? Not that it matters to them, but I flat out told them I was switching to Uverse when it was offered in my area.

Anyway, they have guaranteed someone to show up today from 3-5, so we'll see. I did tell the person last night I would not pay for a truck roll out since they missed their appoinment yesterday. I bet these customer service reps get sick of people complaining to them when it's the local offices dispatching the techs that screw everything up.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 PM   #471
richsadams

Quote:
I'm curious if all cable companies regularly act this way. Charter missed their appointment yesterday.
Doesn't that just fry you? Not even a courtesy call? IIRC there were some specific laws enacted to address just that sort of abuse. I think there are some monetary penalties involved...fines and maybe some sort of credit they have to give you on your account. I'd do some research for your area, there are usually local statutes and the FCC may have some info as well. If you really want to make an impact a letter to your city councilman should get their attention as that's generally who approves ongoing agreements for their services.

At minimum a complaint and threat (politely) that you intend to do something like contacting the council and/or go to the competition if there is any, unless they make you whole should get you a month's service credit.

We have competition in our area (Comcast, Verizon, Qwest and some others). It's amazing how some competition turns customer service around.

Let us know how things go.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:51 PM   #472
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

You definitely need to put the heat on them via your local franchise board. You could also google the phone numbers for Charter's regional ops VPs and ring your guy up.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:14 AM   #473
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Charter actually showed up on Friday so I got my two S cards swapped out for a M card. Everything went pretty smoothy, the guy said they do a lot of Tivo's these days. I'm hoping this solves my problem with the unit locking up. I guess I'll see as before it could go a week or two before it locked up.

I might see if I can find an email for a Regional VP or something and submit a letter. It wouldn't hurt I suppose. They guy that was here on Friday said some lady scheduled him 6 appointments in a two hour time block. I guess I can see now why they are so backed up.
Old 04-04-2010, 12:22 AM   #474
mattack

Does the CableCard Pairing screen still say "in order to start cable service for this device, please contact..." even if you HAVE set it up?

From the FAQ, apparently my new card isn't validated. (Though it doesn't actually give info about the M card for the pairing info..)

..and moving my 2 S cards from my TivoHD to my S3 doesn't seem to have worked either.. I did the online chat, and they SUPPOSEDLY set them up -- but I never gave Host ID info.. so I think those aren't validated either (but those do say they're paired). I get basically all of the expanded basic and even some movie channels like TCM.. but at least on one of the tivos, trying to go to the hbo channels puts up the "start cable service" page..

and I presume it doesn't matter WHERE I am in the Tivo (even at the pairing screen) when they send out the hit/have successfully paired?

thanks

Last edited by mattack : 04-04-2010 at 12:28 AM.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 06:43 PM   #475
mattack

OK, so I got the two cablecards I moved from the Tivo HD to my S3 supposedly re-paired (I got the "good" 161-4 error). For some reason they're having problems pairing the new M card I got for my TivoHD.

They're claiming that I have to reboot my Tivo to get the two cablecards working in my S3 -- and even after the (good) 161-4 errors, I do indeed get the please contact your cable provider screen when I try to tune to HBO.. (Which I had previously been getting when the cards were in the TivoHD) I'm recording off a channel I do get at the moment, so I will try rebooting later.

(I probably made this harder than it needed to be -- last year when I got the two cablecards, it was more convenient at that time to put them in the TivoHD, even though it had a smaller hard drive.. I probably should have put them in my S3 in the first place even though I knew it required 2 cards.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:12 PM   #476
kirby34
Kirrrrrby Puckettttt

I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" to the TiVo Community for the very helpful information on installing a cable card and getting it activated and paired. While it didn't help the Comcast CSR who was woefully lost (he kept referring to some script program he was following), at least I knew what was needed. His supervisor told him to transfer me to Sales for some reason and then that guy transferred me to Video where the young lady there knew EXACTLY what needed to be done and took care of it in less than 5 minutes.

It actually took me longer to drive to-and-from my Comcast service store to pick up the card than it took to get the card working.

Edit: Weird...just noticed this was my first post and I registered almost 2 years ago. LOL.
kirby34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:46 PM   #477
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby34 View Post
I just wanted to say "THANK YOU" to the TiVo Community for the very helpful information on installing a cable card and getting it activated and paired.
Sooo, a long-time lurker eh? A belated welcome to the Forum and enjoy your "new" TiVo!
Old 07-11-2010, 05:47 PM   #478
skiguy32

PLEASE HELP!!! Cable Card not giving me my premium channels.

I went down to my local Charter office the other day and told them that I wanted to upgrade from just basic cable to the premium channels package and that I know in order to do so I would have to have a tech come out and install some cable cards into my S3 tivo so that I access & record those channels. The earliest they could send someone was today (Sunday 7/11/10) so the guy comes and installs one Mcard and I told them at the office that I would probally need 2 cards and to make sure the tech brought 2! Well, he did but said that I would be fine with just the one Mcard cause it does the same thing as what 2 Scards would do. He installed it in the bottom slot and after calling into dispatch and giving them the serial #'s and stuff they were able to get it configured and I get all the digital channels now except the Premium Channels like HBO & Showtime. Those channels are coming up in the program guide now and shows what is showing but there in no picture or sound! All the other channels are fine! I couldn't find on the help forum anywhere what I need to do to fix this problem. The tech left it like this cause he said he had another job to go to but said that the picture shoud pop up in 24 hours! I think that was just a cop out though cause he had another job to go to so what should I do?
skiguy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:40 PM   #479
richsadams

Skiguy, if you have the original Series3 (not a TiVo HD/HDXL) you must have two cable cards to us both tuners, no exceptions. They need to come back out, install and activate the second cable card and you'll be good to go.

With respect to the premium channels, they may need to re-initiate your cable card(s). Might as well wait until they come back...then don't let them leave until everything is working.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:03 AM   #480
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Cable guy from comcast is on his way here to install. I have written some notes down but I sure hope he knows what he is doing. I am nervous and excited. Thank you ahead of time for the thread no matter what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote