Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #7111
cJames

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaquilino16 View Post
Hello James,
I went to the chamblee office walked in ask for a card,But I could not do it myself had a tech come out, The only good thing out of it I did not have to pay a tech service fee because I had the card, they sent out tech for cc trouble for free.All working just make sure you select world of more channel guide and not comcast or you will not get info on some of the hd channels.
Thanks for the reply.

But from your previous post, "What the super found out the I needed the digital package to make the card work on the tivo", if I understand correctly it wasn't that you couldn't get the CC to work yourself, it was an issue with the digital package you selected on your TiVo or Comcast didn't have you correctly subscribed to a digital package.

Is that correct?

The hard drive went out on my first TiVo HD and after installing a new hard drive, I had to pair the CC's. I was able to get a supervisor to do it for me over the phone (after a lot of run around from customer service) without needing a tech to show up.

I think I'll take my chances and go to the Chamblee office to see if I can get the CC's and then take my chances getting a supervisor who knows what he/she is doing. I just hate wasting half a day waiting on a tech to show up without the CC's, then reschedule, then get a tech that knows nothing.

Quite a company Comcast runs.
cJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:41 AM   #7112
Guipo

Thanks for all you're help guys! The email to comcast did the trick. I guess someone had imputed the wrong number somewhere, and none of the phone techs caught it. Thanks for your help!
Guipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:20 PM   #7113
selfee

After the usual travails (multiple truck rolls, multiple phone calls, etc.) that everyone else on this board has experienced, I have 3 functioning HD boxes (2 with S cards, 1 with an M card). I get HBO/Max, digital sports package, and the usual HD channels. Thinking about adding Showtime to catch Dexter and some of their other original series.

Most recent box was particularly annoying, because they deauthorized one of the other cards when authorizing the 3rd box, which required yet another truck roll for a Comcast ee to come and read the numbers off the screen that I could have punched into a voice response system myself. (They set up an automated system for their freebie digital adapters... why not the same functionality for cable cards? And do cablecards not have some sort of checksum that would allow the operator to check whether the number is good?)

Anyway, what sort of effort does it take to get new channels onto existing cards? Would a new channel lineup automatically be added to the existing lineup, or does each card have to be reauthorized for the added package?
selfee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:23 PM   #7114
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfee View Post
Anyway, what sort of effort does it take to get new channels onto existing cards? Would a new channel lineup automatically be added to the existing lineup, or does each card have to be reauthorized for the added package?
I don't know the specific details on this, insofar as what hits need to be sent to the cards - but I don't believe it requires that the pairing be redone. In short, no truck roll for channel adds.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #7115
ghuido

It looks like my Comcast Lineup is switching for World of Comcast ... I got a large number of 8XX Channels and I can actually get signal/picture on them and have program guide information for them.

Comcast.com Official Channel Lineup Page does not have them listed.

WAs wondering if anyone has experienced this large change already and what has happened to all your season passes for the old channels? Do I have to redo all the season passes? Will Comcast just decide to drop the old channels any time now?

Thanks
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 03:55 PM   #7116
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
It looks like my Comcast Lineup is switching for World of Comcast ... I got a large number of 8XX Channels and I can actually get signal/picture on them and have program guide information for them.

Comcast.com Official Channel Lineup Page does not have them listed.

WAs wondering if anyone has experienced this large change already and what has happened to all your season passes for the old channels? Do I have to redo all the season passes? Will Comcast just decide to drop the old channels any time now?

Thanks
We just went through this for my cable headend, though I manually switched my channel lineup to World of More (you can select either WOM or non-WOM in my zip code, though obviously the actual channels you can tune are defined by what the cable company is sending down).

The only season passes I had to redo were ones where I wanted to have them pointed at an HD channel that I previously only had the SD version of. Otherwise, so long as you still get the channel, I imagine the pass will still work.

As to what Comcast is going to do with the 'old channels,' who knows. They certainly aren't saying that they're going to start killing anything off... with the exception of all the standard bits of the analog-to-all-digital conversion stuff.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:30 AM   #7117
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, that's right. I redid a couple of SD channel passes but all the HD ones still work after the conversion, because the old HD channel numbers didn't change. We just got a lot of new ones with new numbers.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 09:38 PM   #7118
jneugeba

Quick question - I have gotten everything set up and working with plenty of time for the Olympics! YEAH!!! (Guide data has started loading!) The one thing that seems odd is whenever I click the tivo button, i see the tivo main screen for a second, then it goes black for a little bit, then comes back up. The same things happens if we go between the two live tv choices - a quick peek (sometimes, but if not always followed) then a black screen followed by the program. Is this normal? I never had this problem with my S2 - changing showed up right away. Thanks!!!!
jneugeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #7119
TypicalMe

Just wanted to report back with successful install- Memphis, TN. CC tech installed M-card, new setup is up and running, working great. Now for the cable bill to come in...
TypicalMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:11 AM   #7120
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
i see the tivo main screen for a second, then it goes black for a little bit, then comes back up.
Sounds lik the TiVo is changing output resolutions (the TiVo menu is rendered at stretched 480 resolution and TV programming is at 720p or 1080i) and your TV is resyncing to the new resolution.

Go to TiVo Central / Message & Settings / Settings / Video Settings / Video Output Format
and rather than "Native" or "Hybrid" select something like "1080i Fixed"

The info in the TiVo menu suggests that you should be using Native if your set supports all 4 modes but it does cause the sort of glitches you see. I don't see any artifacts of letting the TiVo rescale everything to 1080i.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #7121
expmag
RehobothJeff

Single Stream vs Muti Stream with Comcast

I have two TIVO HDs one the more advanced. I have single stream cable cards, two in each. I want to replace them with two multi stream cards, one in each. I have read where sometimes it works and other times it does not. i am trying to reduce my bill as I am being charged for three cards now. Is there a trick to making on multi stream card work in each unit? Also, I am in Delaware and they tell me I can't go pick up the cards but needed to set up an appointment for next week. Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:51 AM   #7122
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by expmag View Post
I have two TIVO HDs one the more advanced..
I'm not sure what you mean by more advanced?

If you have (2) TiVo HD - then all you need to do is replace
(2) S-Cards with (1) M-Card in each box.

There is NO TRICK needed. The M-Card needs to go in a certain
slot specified by TiVo and Comcast needs to enter the correct
data into their provisioning system.

OH - I forgot - that is the TRICK - Will Comcast or Won't Comcast
get the data entry right
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:39 AM   #7123
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I have two TIVO HDs one the more advanced. I have single stream cable cards, two in each. I want to replace them with two multi stream cards, one in each. I have read where sometimes it works and other times it does not. i am trying to reduce my bill as I am being charged for three cards now. Is there a trick to making on multi stream card work in each unit? Also, I am in Delaware and they tell me I can't go pick up the cards but needed to set up an appointment for next week. Thanks in advance for your help.
The TiVo HD unit (the one with the CableCARD slots in the front) supports a single M-card for enabling both tuners.

The original TiVo Series 3 HD unit (the one with the display on the front showing program titles and with CableCARD slots in the back, and often referenced as the "more advanced" one) must have 2 CableCARDs to enable both tuners; one M-card in it will only enable one tuner.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #7124
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
The TiVo HD unit (the one with the CableCARD slots in the front) supports a single M-card for enabling both tuners.

The original TiVo Series 3 HD unit (the one with the display on the front showing program titles and with CableCARD slots in the back, and often referenced as the "more advanced" one) must have 2 CableCARDs to enable both tuners; one M-card in it will only enable one tuner.
So the OLD one is called more Advanced

I never would have figured that one out
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 12:13 PM   #7125
expmag
RehobothJeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post

So, the original TIVO series 3 HD must keep the two cable cards. No fix for running just one M Card?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:21 PM   #7126
bicker
Gruff

That enhancement hasn't been promised, and it is looking like it will not make it any future release, either.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:01 PM   #7127
cjv2

Quote:
So, the original TIVO series 3 HD must keep the two cable cards. No fix for running just one M Card?
Doubtful that they will "fix" a new hardware-handling feature into a discontinued model that is older than the one (the TivoHD) where single M-Card support was introduced for the first time... presuming that it were a simple matter of downloadable software anyway, which it may not be.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #7128
Nethead28

Comcast CC charges?

So many treads, so little time to read all. I hope this is posted in correct place.

South Florida Comcastic customer.

I have 3 HD Tivos:

1 - Original series 3 with 2 S cards. (Lifetime)
2 - TiVoHD's with 1 M card each. (each month to month)

Total of 4 cards

Total of 3 HD TV's (outlets)

Comcastic is charging me:

CableCard 3 @ $1.50 each = OK to me.
PLUS:
HDTV Service 4 @ $7.95 each = NOT OK TO ME!

Is this normal now or am I being pick-pocketed? I haven't checked my bills in months - wifey has just been paying.

Comcast and TiVo for home entertainment is getting a bit to pricey in these times.

THX in advance...
Nethead28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #7129
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nethead28 View Post
PLUS:
HDTV Service 4 @ $7.95 each = NOT OK TO ME!

Is this normal now or am I being pick-pocketed? I haven't checked my bills in months - wifey has just been paying.
I have a Comcast Motorola HD DVR alongside my Tivo. With respect to getting HDTV service, I am not paying an HDTV service fee, which I presumed was because I am renting the Motorola HD DVR. When I added the Tivo no additional HD fee as such appeared.

It never occurred to me in looking at the current rate card, which shows the $7.95 fee you reference, to interpret that fee as anything other than a per-Comcast STB or a per-customer levy. Dunno. It's not clear. Also, I'm in a different market than you, so YMMV.

Are you being charged additional outlet fees, and if so, how much per and how many?

Last edited by cjv2 : 02-04-2010 at 04:42 PM.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:40 PM   #7130
a68oliver

That doesn't sound right to me. Of course, YMMV, especially in different parts of the country with different franchises assimilated into the Comcast family over the years.

First, I don't think they generally have an HD Service charge. They do have a charge for HD capable DVRs/converters. You don't have that so you shouldn't be charged for it.

Your digital service includes one cable card on the first outlet. The second cablecard should be charged extra on the same outlet. So you pay the digital service/package charge plus one cablecard for the Tivo S3.

Your Tivo HDs are additional digital outlets. In my area I believe those are $6.95. The additional outlet charge includes one cablecard. So you have the frist Tivo HD charged at $6.95 additional outlet with no cablecard charge. And the second Tivo HD would also be charged $6.95 for the additional outlet and nothing for the cablecard.

So it appears to me that you should be paying for only 1 additional cablecard instead of 3. Also you should be paying $6.95 x 2 additional outlets and not $7.95 x 4 outlets.

I would get a copy of their official rate sheet and run the numbers. I think you are being overcharged. My franchise always mails a rate sheet and channel list out in January.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 09:23 PM   #7131
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
So it appears to me that you should be paying for only 1 additional cablecard instead of 3. Also you should be paying $6.95 x 2 additional outlets and not $7.95 x 4 outlets.
I agree with this analysis - it's what Comcast national has said should be charged. $6.95 vs 7.95 may be a local feature, and if you have a Comcast box in addition to your TiVo boxes, then it will be 3 additional outlets instead of 2, but it's clear you are being overcharged.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM   #7132
Nethead28

I just talked to a (higher level?) Comcast rep who told me they were making changes to their system, to allow the $6.95 instead of $7.95 and take away the extra HDTV cablecard charges to be on level with the rest of the Comcast markets. We will see...

Mean while for the last X? years I have been having my pocket picked.

Where is Fios when you need them? There is always Sat. or U-Verse I guess.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:47 PM   #7133
cjv2

Quote:
I just talked to a (higher level?) Comcast rep who told me they were making changes to their system, to allow the $6.95 instead of $7.95 and take away the extra HDTV cablecard charges to be on level with the rest of the Comcast markets. We will see...

Mean while for the last X? years I have been having my pocket picked.

Where is Fios when you need them? There is always Sat. or U-Verse I guess.
For what it's worth, my rate card with an effective date of 1/1/2010 says:

Digital Service - Additional Outlet: $6.95
Digital Service - Additional Outlet with HDTV or DVR Service: $3.95

Both of these are listed as previously having been $5.99.

I'm still waiting for my January bill to land, to see which of these two shows up. I also have a Comcast HD DVR in addition to the Tivo, just to complicate figuring out which of these two applies to my situation (much less someone else's). But anyway, FYI.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #7134
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Where is Fios when you need them?
FiOS has its own set of additional charges. I'm getting charged for both of the CableCARDs in my S3.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #7135
schwinn

http://gizmodo.com/5463652/comcast-r...ts-all-you-got
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #7136
Nethead28

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
Some funny comments over there:

So the Comcast triple play will now be the Xfinity XXX play?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:44 PM   #7137
mattymatt

In January I got a Tivo HD ($150 from Tivo.com as upgrade option --YAY TIVO!), an M-card from Comcast with "digital economy" package.

Thanks to all the great info in this thread (and HD vs XL threads) I all the info I needed--and boy, did I need it. I really had to stay on top of Comcast for this one.

I scheduled the Comcast install (upgrade basic cable and get M-card) after ordering the Tivo with enough time (I thought) for shipping. The operator kept asking if I was sure I didn't want their converter box--and all the "great" things I couldn't get without it. I made it clear I only needed the M-card.

So, day before install it appeared the Tivo might not make it in time, but several folks here have done M-card setups on their own--so I thought, no big deal. Apparently it varies region to region whether Comcast allows this or not. I called and checked and our Comcast (SW Washington) requires a "truck roll". And, if I didn't have my Tivo, they told me, they would charge $15 for the visit, plus another $15 to do it again. I pressed the tech on the phone if it was really necessary and he assured me it was --plus, they had to reset the trap at our house anyway. I rescheduled--and I'm glad I did. Of course the Tivo arrived 2 hours after install window.

When the installer arrived, he proved to be fairly clueless. He pulled out a converter box... I told him I didn't need that, just the card for the Tivo. "What? My order just says you need a box." He didn't even have an M-card. He tried to convince me that I should just let him install the box. Umm...No. He then said he had a DVR box and could probably waive the extra charge for it. It would record programs just like Tivo plus get me on-demand. Umm...No. He had to leave to get a card then come back. When he did, it took well over an hour to set it up. When I checked on him he said he couldn't get ESPN to come in. I told him I didn't think our package even had that, but he said it did. Fine, I'll take it if you want to give it to me. A few calls between him and Comcast and he agreed I hadn't ordered ESPN. No duh. So, he was done and handed me paperwork to sign. I tuned to Comedy Central which didn't work either. That was the one channel in the "economy" package that got me to order it. "No," he told me, "that channel doesn't come with this either. But if you want it, get the digital starter and then you'll get ESPN and a bunch of other channels too." Sure, for $60/mo instead of $20. More calls to Comcast... I had to show him the Comcast flyer with the (partial) lineup to convince him I had ordered a package with Comedy Central. Then he proceeded to try convincing the Comcast operator on other end of line that I did. Crazy. I checked Comcast's own website and they didn't have the correct lineup for "digital economy" (which I had to dig for--nothing about it at all in their offered packages. Maybe it's just real new?) About another hour later things were finally configured properly.

So, when all was said and done, Comcast did give me what I paid for, it's been working well, but I did have to fight for it.

Oh, one other thing... the M-card tunes to any and every channel Comcast offers--with program info, so I had to go through the Tivo settings and disable all the channels I don't get--otherwise, Tivo would record a bunch of blank stuff, right? I also disabled the standard versions of the HD channels I do get.
mattymatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:29 PM   #7138
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattymatt View Post
Oh, one other thing... the M-card tunes to any and every channel Comcast offers--with program info, so I had to go through the Tivo settings and disable all the channels I don't get--otherwise, Tivo would record a bunch of blank stuff, right? I also disabled the standard versions of the HD channels I do get.
Congrats on the ultimately successful haggling. Heh.

Yeah, if the card is tuning up channels that you don't actually get but it thinks you do, it will try to record from those for suggestions and you'll have blank recordings on your hands.
Old 02-06-2010, 03:48 PM   #7139
timstack8969

I'm buying a TIVO HD XL in March. I am in SA (Scientific Atlanta) with comcast of Garden State. What kind of Cable card or cards do I need (1 M or 2 M's) ?
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:49 PM   #7140
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
For what it's worth, my rate card with an effective date of 1/1/2010 says:

Digital Service - Additional Outlet: $6.95
Digital Service - Additional Outlet with HDTV or DVR Service: $3.95

Both of these are listed as previously having been $5.99.

I'm still waiting for my January bill to land, to see which of these two shows up. I also have a Comcast HD DVR in addition to the Tivo, just to complicate figuring out which of these two applies to my situation (much less someone else's). But anyway, FYI.
Just cross-checked against the Comcast bill - I am getting the $3.95 price for the additional outlet. Since I had no additional outlet fee prior to getting my Tivo, I have to assume that it is associated with the Tivo/CableCard (rather than my Comcast Motorola DVR).

Last edited by cjv2 : 02-06-2010 at 03:54 PM.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote