TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-25-2010, 11:10 PM   #421
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
I think what I need to do is to concentrate on getting the 1t drive paired with the cableCARD and leave well enough alone. And be happy.
FYI - every time you unplug or plug the Cable Card - one part of the
PAIRING info Changes. This is to prevent someone from using a Card
in an unauthorized device. Most Cable Co's do not use this piece of
Data but Comcast Does.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:17 PM   #422
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
FYI - every time you unplug or plug the Cable Card - one part of the
PAIRING info Changes. This is to prevent someone from using a Card
in an unauthorized device. Most Cable Co's do not use this piece of
Data but Comcast Does.
I do understand that. But, when you copy the drive with WinMFS, it retains the host and data info. In fact, the pairing info is identical on both drives. I never removed the cableCARD.

But, I know what you are saying. If you move the cableCARD to another device, it generates a new host and data ID. But, I can tell you that it is OK to remove the card and re-insert it in the same device. As long as you do not change devices, the pairing info will not change.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:22 AM   #423
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

I have an update, but it no longer belongs in this thread so I put it here.
Old 01-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #424
brettatk
If I Only Knew

I'm not sure if I've asked this before, if I did I couldn't find it. When I go to my CableCard settings and look at conditional access, both of my tuner's are showing the following:

Validation: Unknown (00)

I think this is why my Tivo is locking up from time to time causing me to have to pull the plug and reboot. Could some of you when you have time check and see what your's list there? I'm using Charter as my cable provider. Thanks!
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 AM   #425
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I'm not sure if I've asked this before, if I did I couldn't find it. When I go to my CableCard settings and look at conditional access, both of my tuner's are showing the following:

Validation: Unknown (00)

I think this is why my Tivo is locking up from time to time causing me to have to pull the plug and reboot. Could some of you when you have time check and see what your's list there? I'm using Charter as my cable provider. Thanks!
All I can say is that you are not alone. I'm In a similar situation. I'm having my cableCARD changed this Saturday since it has exhibited the same behavior on two TiVo's now. Once a week, I have to reboot and get Comcast to send a hit to my card. I'm wondering if the headend can't see the card, and so it drops it. Kind of like if you unplug it too long during a power outage.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:07 AM   #426
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
All I can say is that you are not alone. I'm In a similar situation. I'm having my cableCARD changed this Saturday since it has exhibited the same behavior on two TiVo's now. Once a week, I have to reboot and get Comcast to send a hit to my card. I'm wondering if the headend can't see the card, and so it drops it. Kind of like if you unplug it too long during a power outage.
I've been avoiding having to have Charter send someone out. Even getting them to send a hit doesn't seem to help. All my channels come in, but it sucks sometime when I get home late at night and find out it didn't record anything. Thanks for the info though, nice to see I'm not alone. I might hold off until shows are airing reruns again. I'd hate to have Charter really screw things up and be without a Tivo at all for awhile.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 11:43 AM   #427
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
I've been avoiding having to have Charter send someone out. Even getting them to send a hit doesn't seem to help. All my channels come in, but it sucks sometime when I get home late at night and find out it didn't record anything. Thanks for the info though, nice to see I'm not alone. I might hold off until shows are airing reruns again. I'd hate to have Charter really screw things up and be without a Tivo at all for awhile.
I'm battling the same thinking process. Leave well enough alone (where it mostly works) or royaly screw things up. Because Comcast is willing to come out on Saturday or Sunday, I'm more willing to take the gamble. But, believe me, I'm torn.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:42 PM   #428
pl1

I had Comcast come out this morning. After a 25 minute conversation between the on-site tech (convincing the remote tech that we need to change the card, ""including making sure that my HD channels had check boxes next to them"", if you can believe it), the minute he plugged in a new card, and got it authorized, it worked instantly.

This is the same box that had no non-local HD channels on it when the tech walked in. I did NOT want to reboot it to try and re-pair the card, so that the tech could see it was not working.

So, with fingers crossed, it will last more than a week! I did get a free 3 months of HBO for my troubles, which is nice.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:12 PM   #429
ronaries

Just recently got a new Tivo HD series3 operating - set up by Wow - with 2 cable cards. After reading all the problems others had in the Forum, I was concerned that I might encounter a lot of difficulty - especially when the installer said he had 2 cards, and didn't need any help or additional information about the system! But, to his credit, all went very smoothly and I was very pleased. WOW did a good job in Central Ohio again!
So -- despite all the bad press around - some installers can breeze thru the cable card installations (thank goodness!).
ronaries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:15 PM   #430
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronaries View Post
Just recently got a new Tivo HD series3 operating - set up by Wow - with 2 cable cards. After reading all the problems others had in the Forum, I was concerned that I might encounter a lot of difficulty - especially when the installer said he had 2 cards, and didn't need any help or additional information about the system! But, to his credit, all went very smoothly and I was very pleased. WOW did a good job in Central Ohio again!
So -- despite all the bad press around - some installers can breeze thru the cable card installations (thank goodness!).
Of course, if your installer knew so much, why did he install two cards when only one m-card is needed? If he installed two m-cards, one is not even active. If he installed two s-cards, was it because he was out of m-cards? And, will you be charged extra for two cards? (I'm assuming here that you mean you purchased a THD and not an original S3 which requires two cards.)
Old 02-02-2010, 10:29 AM   #431
test drive

uh, oh - would appreciate some advice and was nicely referred here from another poster on another board...quick issue: after my new HD XL box that suffered from the supposed "intellipark" soft reboot issue on new WD drives which was seemingly resolved with a new released patch (issue is affecting many new units), i went to the next step and inserted the comcast M cable card, hoping for the best...unfortunately, no such luck...after 2 hours with Comcast technical support last night and exhaustive efforts to pair 3 separate M cards, all 3 failed to acquire channels...leading us back to Tivo?

Details: the first card could not acquire channels despite 5 attempts leading repeatedly to the sequence of “Please wait...acquiring channel information” followed 10 mins or so later by “Error acquiring channels” despite Comcast reporting that in their system the card had successfully paired; at Comcast's suggestion (both of us assuming that the first card was at fault), and armed with additional new "back-up" cards just in case (I came prepared for this one), each new card was then inserted following a hard reboot and using the reported host id and data id, but new 2 were unable to be activated.

In troubleshooting, comcast Tech reported that Tivo was supposed to generate a new Host ID# and new Data # for each separate M card- however, she realized that in multiple efforts to generate data to pair the next 2 cards, Tivo decoder was always showing the same Host ID# as the original card - Comcast therefore believes it's a Tivo issue and wants to know why the Tivo is not able to generate a new unique host ID# for the subsequent 2 cards. Note, hard rebooting at every stage of the process did not fix the issue or provide new host ID# for subsequent cards...though the data #s were unique each time...

Comcast is happy to send out a tech, but they believe it’s likely a Tivo issue given there were 3 separate new cards and the first one paired correctly but subsequently Tivo could not generate new host IDs...they even tried to pair them again with the original host ID# at my request, but supe said they could not as that host # was "married to the original card"...not sure if this is related at all to the new patch to address soft reboot problems, the box which has had some funky drive behavior requiring multiple hard drive reboots to get past the Welcome Screen due to those issues, or card validation process, but I was encouraged to report here (as a TC newbie) and see if anyone has had similar issues and whether anyone here has any ideas about how to move ahead from here...thanks in advance for any insights and apologies if the answer is somewhere here already.
test drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 10:52 AM   #432
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by test drive View Post
Comcast is happy to send out a tech, but they believe it’s likely a Tivo issue given there were 3 separate new cards and the first one paired correctly but subsequently Tivo could not generate new host IDs...they even tried to pair them again with the original host ID# at my request, but supe said they could not as that host # was "married to the original card"...
To my knowledge, the host IDs do not change when a new card is inserted.

As to this "married to the original card" business, all they need to do is delete the original card's pairing data in their system. This pairing business isn't set in stone and burned-in for life. Otherwise they would never be able to retrieve your M-Card from you and give it to another customer (by their explanation, that card would be permanently bolted to *your* Tivo, which is silly).

What you have going on is a pairing problem, possibly and probably due to lack of understanding on the Comcast side. It is not tied to the Intellipark business at all.

Suggest you email your story, along with your Comcast account number (please don't post that here!), M-Card serial number (just whatever one you have in the Tivo - pick one) host, and data IDs to the folks at We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. They have familiarity with CableCard pairing issues and can actually tweak the data in their system.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:03 PM   #433
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
To my knowledge, the host IDs do not change when a new card is inserted.
I just had a new cableCARD installed Saturday, and both the data id and host id changed. AAMOF, every field changed. CableCARD ID, HOST ID, DATA, Unit Address, and Card S/N. This is in the Norh east and with a Motorola M-card. The tech told me that moving to another device, the HOST ID and DATA ID change.
Like I say, I'm only speaking for my location. YMMV.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #434
cjv2

Quote:
I just had a new cableCARD installed Saturday, and both the data id and host id changed. AAMOF, every field changed. CableCARD ID, HOST ID, DATA, Unit Address, and Card S/N. This is in the Norh east and with a Motorola M-card. The tech told me that moving to another device, the HOST ID and DATA ID change.
Like I say, I'm only speaking for my location. YMMV.
If moving to another device, the host ID is going to be different, because it's another device. The whole point of the host ID to uniquely identify the device (that device being a specific physical CableCard slot).

Outside of that, you're saying you had a new M-Card card put into the same Tivo as an old M-Card and the host ID changed? If that is the case, my bad, please forgive while I remove my foot from my mouth.

Still, his Comcast people are loopy if they claim that his host ID is permanently married to the original M-Card and can never be changed for all eternity. That would render the M-Card unusable for any other customer even if he returns that card to Comcast.

What's AAMOF?
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #435
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
........What's AAMOF?
*** Internet Acronyms ***

You've got a browser -- use it!

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 01:21 PM   #436
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
*** Internet Acronyms ***

You've got a browser -- use it!
In all fairness, I have been online acroynming for 20 years, and you people just need to stop with adding the new ones! :P :P :P

Heh.

Holy cow, they have MORF in there! That's old school! I'm impressed
Old 02-02-2010, 02:30 PM   #437
pl1

Quote:
<Snip> Outside of that, you're saying you had a new M-Card card put into the same Tivo as an old M-Card and the host ID changed? If that is the case, my bad, please forgive while I remove my foot from my mouth. <snip>
That is what I'm saying. Same device, new M-Card, new Host ID.
Quote:
What's AAMOF? In all fairness, I have been online acroynming for 20 years, and you people just need to stop with adding the new ones!
I'm not trying to bust 'em here, but As A Matter Of Fact, I've been on the Internet since AOL/CIS/Delphi/BBS days and AAMOF was one of the first ones I learned!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:51 PM   #438
cjv2

Quote:
That is what I'm saying. Same device, new M-Card, new Host ID. I'm not trying to bust 'em here, but As A Matter Of Fact, I've been on the Internet since AOL/CIS/Delphi/BBS days and AAMOF was one of the first ones I learned!
Delphi/CIS/BBS? Dang dude, ok, you win. Just don't mention the AOL Christmas modems, I was there when those folks started appearing in CIS, and it sucked horribly
Old 02-02-2010, 03:18 PM   #439
pl1

Quote:
Delphi/CIS/BBS? Dang dude, ok, you win. Just don't mention the AOL Christmas modems, I was there when those folks started appearing in CIS, and it sucked horribly
Not sure about that, myself. You had to be on and off so fast with CIS (it was so expensive), that I did not hang around to long there. I started most of my command line Internet learning with Delphi. What was the AOL Christmas modem thing?
Old 02-02-2010, 03:28 PM   #440
cjv2

Quote:
What was the AOL Christmas modem thing?
The AOL Christmas modem thing was that every Christmas, people would get modems for gifts, complete with an AOL CD. They would all sign up for AOL for $9.95/month or whatever it was, which was unheard-of pricing that was guaranteed to bring all the not-so-online-saavy types in. Then they would find their way to CIS (which was price-dropping due to the competition), and show up in CIS chat space.

We could always tell that they were "AOL Christmas modems" because they had miserable netiquette, particularly evident when they would enter a CIS chat room, blurt out "M or F?" or "age/sex check" and expect all the participants to announce their answer, which I guess was standard behavior at the time in AOL chatspace. It was *not* standard behavior on CIS, and we proceeded to pummel them mercilessly for "morfing" the room.

Oh, those days were fun. Muhahahaha. AOL won though, ultimately consuming CIS whole by acquisition.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #441
test drive

Quote:
That is what I'm saying. Same device, new M-Card, new Host ID. I'm not trying to bust 'em here, but As A Matter Of Fact, I've been on the Internet since AOL/CIS/Delphi/BBS days and AAMOF was one of the first ones I learned!
thank you both cjv2 and pl1 for your replies; if new host ID # generation by the tivo unit is the issue, as comcast indicated after many hours of cycling and hard reboots and working through their supervisors to get the system to recognize the new cards, then the problem and solution is presumably back with Tivo? any ideas as to how to proceed to get the unit to generate a new host ID# sequence for the new cards would be appreciated...the current units have been so filled with issues that i am tempted to return it, and await a hard drive solution to the firmware beta fixes that seem to be popping up across the forums on HD XL built since Dec...
Old 02-02-2010, 03:55 PM   #442
richsadams

Quote:
...then the problem and solution is presumably back with Tivo?
I don't think so. If you re-read a couple of the posts I believe they are saying that Comcast is the one that needs to reset things on their end, that TiVo doesn't have anything to do with it. I could be wrong but that's what I got out of it.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #443
pl1

Quote:
The AOL Christmas modem thing was that every Christmas, people would get modems for gifts, complete with an AOL CD. They would all sign up for AOL for $9.95/month or whatever it was, which was unheard-of pricing that was guaranteed to bring all the not-so-online-saavy types in. Then they would find their way to CIS (which was price-dropping due to the competition), and show up in CIS chat space.

We could always tell that they were "AOL Christmas modems" because they had miserable netiquette, particularly evident when they would enter a CIS chat room, blurt out "M or F?" or "age/sex check" and expect all the participants to announce their answer, which I guess was standard behavior at the time in AOL chatspace. It was *not* standard behavior on CIS, and we proceeded to pummel them mercilessly for "morfing" the room.

Oh, those days were fun. Muhahahaha. AOL won though, ultimately consuming CIS whole by acquisition.
Thanks for the refresher! I do remember a lot of that stuff now. Actually, my first on-line experience was a cheap 1200 baud modem that included Prodigy. Anyway, back to the topic.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:04 PM   #444
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
I don't think so. If you re-read a couple of the posts I believe they are saying that Comcast is the one that needs to reset things on their end, that TiVo doesn't have anything to do with it. I could be wrong but that's what I got out of it.
You got me there. I'm not so sure who or what generates the data id and the host ID. I thought that the HOST was the device, so shouldn't that create the HOST ID? Good question.
Old 02-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #445
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
test drive,

richsadams is correct. That's exactly what I'm saying. From the Comcast perspective, the host ID is arbitrary data. Their job is to take whatever the Tivo says is its Host ID and stuff it into their system alongside the Data and CableCard serial number.

To the extent that Comcast is saying "well we can't use THAT host ID," well, that's just nuts. I have personally gotten host ID data changed at Comcast - by talking to the right people (i.e., those who actually know something). I found those people by emailing We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com, which is what I recommended earlier.

Given what has been said about how the Host ID changes, and that yours does not, I am at a loss to explain that particular phenomenon. But the roadblock you hit from Comcast about their system having permanently married the Host ID you have with that specific physical M-Card - forever - well, meh.

If you want to talk to Tivo about it, though, call them at 866-986-8486.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #446
test drive

Quote:
test drive,

richsadams is correct. That's exactly what I'm saying. From the Comcast perspective, the host ID is arbitrary data. Their job is to take whatever the Tivo says is its Host ID and stuff it into their system alongside the Data and CableCard serial number.

To the extent that Comcast is saying "well we can't use THAT host ID," well, that's just nuts. I have personally gotten host ID data changed at Comcast - by talking to the right people (i.e., those who actually know something). I found those people by emailing We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com, which is what I recommended earlier.

Given what has been said about how the Host ID changes, and that yours does not, I am at a loss to explain that particular phenomenon. But the roadblock you hit from Comcast about their system having permanently married the Host ID you have with that specific physical M-Card - forever - well, meh.

If you want to talk to Tivo about it, though, call them at 866-986-8486.
First, thanks Rich for following this with me from our last posts - appreciate that...cjv2, appreciate your point and advice and pl1 thanks for reply...seems to me from scanning the rest of the Board and faqs, and given Comcast is punting to Tivo in a big way, I'll go the Tivo Cablecard hotline, get them to run whatever relevant dx, and if they report it's the cards, i'll ask if they would be willing get comcast on phone with us altogether...
Old 02-02-2010, 05:08 PM   #447
richsadams

Quote:
I'll go the Tivo Cablecard hotline, get them to run whatever relevant dx, and if they report it's the cards, i'll ask if they would be willing get comcast on phone with us altogether...
Sounds like a good plan to me.
Old 02-02-2010, 05:20 PM   #448
cjv2

Quote:
First, thanks Rich for following this with me from our last posts - appreciate that...cjv2, appreciate your point and advice and pl1 thanks for reply...seems to me from scanning the rest of the Board and faqs, and given Comcast is punting to Tivo in a big way, I'll go the Tivo Cablecard hotline, get them to run whatever relevant dx, and if they report it's the cards, i'll ask if they would be willing get comcast on phone with us altogether...
I'm pretty sure they'll be willing to get on the phone with you and Comcast. Good luck.

Oh, that 866 number isn't the "Tivo CableCard Hotline" per se. I know a Tivo article says it is, but when I called it, they advised me that they're just general Tivo support and CableCards come with the work. So don't freak out if they don't know what a CableCard Hotline is.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:26 PM   #449
joanzen

Just two more cents added into the already overflowing pot... I have an S3 and HD. Comcast (South Florida) came out and installed an M-card (Scientific Atlanta) into the HD and it worked with no problem. I was very hopeful. Then we came to the S3. The tech thought only one M-card was needed. I explained everything I'd read, but he was convinced, so he gave it a try and installed the one M-card. Sure enough, only one tuner. He contacted his support and, guess what, we needed to install a card into both slots. So he installed a second M-card and it wouldn't work. Tried 3 others and no dice. That's all he had so he came back the next day with a stack of 5 S-cards and a couple M-cards. He removed the M-card which was working (because according to him two M-cards would interfere with each other...) and installed two S-cards. One worked and one didn't. He tried the other 3 S-cards and none worked (two of them weren't even recognized by the TiVo). He wanted to come back the next day with more S-cards. I explained that the S3 treats the cards as S-cards, even if they are M-cards. So why not try the M-card that worked before. He agreed, but wasn't hopeful. It worked! So I have an S3 with one S-card and one M-card. Seems like there are all sorts of variations on this situation. I consider myself lucky!

Also, re: the host id issues. No matter how many different cards we tried, the host id was always the same for each of the S3 slots. It never changed.
joanzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:52 PM   #450
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanzen View Post
Just two more cents added into the already overflowing pot... I have an S3 and HD. Comcast (South Florida) came out and installed an M-card (Scientific Atlanta) into the HD and it worked with no problem. I was very hopeful. Then we came to the S3. The tech thought only one M-card was needed. I explained everything I'd read, but he was convinced, so he gave it a try and installed the one M-card. Sure enough, only one tuner. He contacted his support and, guess what, we needed to install a card into both slots. So he installed a second M-card and it wouldn't work. Tried 3 others and no dice. That's all he had so he came back the next day with a stack of 5 S-cards and a couple M-cards. He removed the M-card which was working (because according to him two M-cards would interfere with each other...) and installed two S-cards. One worked and one didn't. He tried the other 3 S-cards and none worked (two of them weren't even recognized by the TiVo). He wanted to come back the next day with more S-cards. I explained that the S3 treats the cards as S-cards, even if they are M-cards. So why not try the M-card that worked before. He agreed, but wasn't hopeful. It worked! So I have an S3 with one S-card and one M-card. Seems like there are all sorts of variations on this situation. I consider myself lucky!

Also, re: the host id issues. No matter how many different cards we tried, the host id was always the same for each of the S3 slots. It never changed.
Good feedback. One more tech in the world that gets TiVo now (although odds are he won't see too many S3's in the future). Did you ask for a discount for leading the training session?