TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-10-2009, 12:25 PM   #31
johnwanco

I need help. My HD series 2 will not work with the remote sometimes. I think it happens when I get a downloads grom TIVO. The remote will turn on the Tv but will not do anything else. I have to unplug the Tivo and plue it back in for the remote to work. Evev if I press the Tivo button on the remote nothing happens. The light blinks on the front of the box like it's getting the command but does nothing. If anyone is having the same problem and fixed it let me know. Thanks
johnwanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 03:37 PM   #32
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xunil76 View Post
tivoupgrade, i haven't read this entire thread yet, so i'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not....but you may want to post a disclaimer in your "Warning!" section that no one should EVER boot into a Windows environment while the computer has a Tivo drive connected to it.

This can possibly save some people a lot of grief, as even many people who consider themselves "PC guys" can have lots of problems, as they may not necessarily know that the Windows environment can corrupt their Tivo drive's boot sector.
I've not experienced that problem myself and I've just verified that to not be a problem in our environment here.

Perhaps there are certain configurations where that might make a difference, but its a bit outside the scope of the articles here (since running the diags doesn't require a Windows computer and typically involves the destruction of the drive, as far as our best practices are concerned).

Thx,
Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 11:17 AM   #33
lew

Tivo is now charging $199 to transfer lifetime service if the broken unit is more then 3 years old. This charge is in addition to the charge to swap the unit for a refurbished unit. I'm not sure if tivo will back down on this new policy.

All the more reason to consider doing your own repair. The hard drive is still the most common problem. The power supply is another problem that can probably be fixed by the customer.

People with LS, who don't want to do their own troubleshooting, should use a third party vendor. The forum sponsor who started this thread is one such place.
lew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:31 PM   #34
goro_s

If none of the lights come on in the front panel of the tivo series 2 unit, but the fan starts to spin when you plug it in, is this most likely a hard drive problem or a power supply problem?

The reason I ask is that I have another series 2 unit I can scavenge for parts like the power supply. Thank you.
goro_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #35
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
Tivo is now charging $199 to transfer lifetime service if the broken unit is more then 3 years old. This charge is in addition to the charge to swap the unit for a refurbished unit. I'm not sure if tivo will back down on this new policy.
What if the unit is out of warranty but is less than three years old?
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:30 PM   #36
Lori S

Please help. Hopefully this is the correct place to write this. I have seen others with this problem but no one seems to have an answer.

I have a TIVO HDXL and a 6 month old 40" Sony HD TV. When I change the channel here's what I see:
The channel banner for the new channel, then the screen goes black (then I look to see if I actually turned the TV off by mistake which I didn't,) then the new channel appears and the banner is still up for a second. This takes about 3.5 seconds. Channel is changed either by the up/down button or entering the numbers. It doesn't matter.
I have comcast. The house has already been rewired by comcast and a new comcast card was put into the TIVO. My other TIVO is a series 2 and it goes thru a Comcast box and changes channels properly.
TIVO offered to replace my unit but I don't think that will help plus I have too much on it now that can't be replaced and TIVO won't copy my disc to the new disc.

What is going on? Is this a software issue, a TIVO issue, a comcast Issue or a Sony issue?
Lori S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #37
ErliDayz

Quirky Phillips DSR708 question:
When using the remote for - changing stations and moving to 2nd tuner, primarily, the machine "stutters". What I mean is enter station 312 and you end up with 3112. Go to 2nd tuner and it instantly jumps back to original tuner.
Changed remotes, added remote range extender and made sure we have fresh batteries - but nothing seems to help.

Has anyone else had this issue, or is it unique to our machine??
I'm replacing it with another HDVR2 I'm upgrading, but would like to repair, if possible.

Thanks.
ErliDayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #38
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErliDayz View Post
Quirky Phillips DSR708 question:
When using the remote for - changing stations and moving to 2nd tuner, primarily, the machine "stutters". What I mean is enter station 312 and you end up with 3112. Go to 2nd tuner and it instantly jumps back to original tuner.
Changed remotes, added remote range extender and made sure we have fresh batteries - but nothing seems to help.

Has anyone else had this issue, or is it unique to our machine??
I'm replacing it with another HDVR2 I'm upgrading, but would like to repair, if possible.

Thanks.
We don't cover this in the article, but again, testing the drives is probably a good first step in eliminating that as a possibility. If the problem isn't due to the drives, then it is not as easily remedied, but the unit can likely be repaired (its not possible to do so yourself - whether it is a bad tuner, or something else wrong with the unit, a 3rd party is likely necessary to complete the work).

Old 08-15-2009, 10:45 AM   #39
ErliDayz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
We don't cover this in the article, but again, testing the drives is probably a good first step in eliminating that as a possibility. If the problem isn't due to the drives, then it is not as easily remedied, but the unit can likely be repaired (its not possible to do so yourself - whether it is a bad tuner, or something else wrong with the unit, a 3rd party is likely necessary to complete the work).
Thanks for the fast response. I'm not sure if it's worth spending the extra money on it to repair, or just replace as I'm doing.

What do think? Sell it on Ebay with full info?
ErliDayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #40
j1717s

All of the lights on my Tivo series 2 are solid and rebooting by unplugging the unit does not work. What is the lights indicative of.
j1717s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #41
lew

Lou-I assume you monitor this thread. A couple of recent posters have had issues with the WD10EVVS drive. Do you know of any reason for the issues?
Old 10-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #42
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Lou-I assume you monitor this thread. A couple of recent posters have had issues with the WD10EVVS drive. Do you know of any reason for the issues?
I'm not aware of any problems with that particular drive (in general), but as with any drive having a suspected problem, I'd recommend running diagnostics on it first, just to rule out the possibility of it being defective.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:16 AM   #43
lew

Quote:
I'm not aware of any problems with that particular drive (in general), but as with any drive having a suspected problem, I'd recommend running diagnostics on it first, just to rule out the possibility of it being defective.

I see you found your way over to the thread in question.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:26 AM   #44
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
I see you found your way over to the thread in question.
I really wouldn't know; noone ever sent me the link. Regardless, what I stated on 10/15 was true and my recommendation stands. Since we've directly offered the EVVS part for quite some time without incident (and have yet to see a problem ourselves), I'd have no reason to state otherwise.

Old 11-03-2009, 09:39 AM   #45
lew

Quote:
I really wouldn't know; noone ever sent me the link. Regardless, what I stated on 10/15 was true and my recommendation stands. Since we've directly offered the EVVS part for quite some time without incident (and have yet to see a problem ourselves), I'd have no reason to state otherwise.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7585744

I guess you have more then one employee posting under the same username.

You have a good point. Most of the bad drives have the same mfg date. We're not sure if we're dealing with a difference in firmware or just a bad bunch of drives.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:09 AM   #46
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...44#post7585744

I guess you have more then one employee posting under the same username.
You've guessed wrong.

Quote:
You have a good point. Most of the bad drives have the same mfg date. We're not sure if we're dealing with a difference in firmware or just a bad bunch of drives.
Please, let's keep this thread on topic. Rather than being obtuse and/or referring to other conversations out of context, it would be better to stick to the topic at hand. If there is something else you want to make a reference to, LINK to it. Otherwise, it's puzzling to everyone.

Thx,
Lou

Old 12-13-2009, 05:16 PM   #47
AustinJerry

HR10-250 exhibiting two issues

I am experiencing two issues with my HR10-250. The unit has 2x500 Seagate drives (approximately one year old), and is connected to a rooftop off-air antenna as well as a 5-LNB dish that also feeds two DirecTV DVR's. The OTA signal is very strong (95% or better) because I am approximately five miles from the transmitter towers with a direct line of sight.

Issue 1: When I configure the FOX local channel for OTA reception, the TiVo becomes unstable. When I view the Fox signal strength, it fluctuates erratically between 0 and ~75%. When I tune to the FOX HD channel, the picture pixellates badly, almost completely unstable. The Tivo receives the ABC, NBC, and CBS HD signals perfectly. And the HR20-100, which is connected to the same OTA antenna, has no problems receiving a perfectly stable signal for the FOX HD channel. Could something be wrong with the TiVo OTA tuner? Both the HR10 and the HR20 share the same coax from the OTA antenna up to a signal splitter in my equipment cabinet, so a bad cable doesn't seem to be the issue.

Issue 2: The TiVo reboots occasionaly (two-three times a week), normally when I am not watching it. I can tell, because I need to re-program the 30-second skip. I don't think the issue is associated with the hard drives because I don't see any other symptoms of a hard drive failure. However, pulling the hard drives and running a test would not be an issue--I have done this before, including using SpinRite.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jerry
AustinJerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 08:00 AM   #48
mjjg

Remote Control Problem

i am having an issue with my Tivo Remote Control. i turn on my tv using the remote - TV Power button and it is supposed to be on a AV2 signal but all i get is a dark screen and no picture or sound. i have two other remotes that i have used in the last few days. i have it now on a HDM1 signal even though the screen says no signal i get the picture with sound. Am i doing something wrong? i have a Verizon HD Motorola Box with it as well. i would really appreciate any help or suggestions. i don't know what else to do.
mjjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:54 AM   #49
hdeditor
New Member+1 rank

Broken link in original msg: DOS boot

In the 3rd original message, the link near the bottom for Sony SVR-2000 owners

"Use this link (DOS 6.22 BootDisk Creator) to download the program that creates a bootable DOS disk for you"

which leads to the address

http://1gighost.com/ed/ta/boot622.exe

returns a 404 error.

I started deleting stuff at the end of this address until I got to

http://1gighost.com/ed/

which returned a directory listing of

* Parent Directory
* cgi-bin/
* jamiephiladelphia/

I followed each link, and the link for

* jamiephiladelphia/

gave me a directory listing for (bold emphasis added by me)

* Parent Directory
* 622c.zip
* boot621.exe
* boot622.exe
* boot95a.exe
* boot95b.exe
* boot98.exe
* boot98c.exe
* boot98sc.exe
* boot98se.exe
* bootme.exe
* bootmec.exe

Do you happen to know if the * boot622.exe file in this directory is the same file as in the original message?
  • Sony SVR-2000 S1 120GB
  • Philips S1 80GB

TiVo Desktop Plus, VideoReDo TVSuite
"I'm not fat, I'm Double Letterboxed!"
hdeditor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #50
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdeditor View Post
In the 3rd original message, the link near the bottom for Sony SVR-2000 owners

"Use this link (DOS 6.22 BootDisk Creator) to download the program that creates a bootable DOS disk for you"

which leads to the address

http://1gighost.com/ed/ta/boot622.exe

returns a 404 error.

I started deleting stuff at the end of this address until I got to

http://1gighost.com/ed/

which returned a directory listing of

* Parent Directory
* cgi-bin/
* jamiephiladelphia/

I followed each link, and the link for

* jamiephiladelphia/

gave me a directory listing for (bold emphasis added by me)

* Parent Directory
* 622c.zip
* boot621.exe
* boot622.exe
* boot95a.exe
* boot95b.exe
* boot98.exe
* boot98c.exe
* boot98sc.exe
* boot98se.exe
* bootme.exe
* bootmec.exe

Do you happen to know if the * boot622.exe file in this directory is the same file as in the original message?
It looks to be... Sorry, I didn't see that the link had broken. Thanks for pointing it out.

[edit: link fixed]

Lou

Old 01-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #51
bud8man
Tivo Evangelist

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by goro_s View Post
If none of the lights come on in the front panel of the tivo series 2 unit, but the fan starts to spin when you plug it in, is this most likely a hard drive problem or a power supply problem?

The reason I ask is that I have another series 2 unit I can scavenge for parts like the power supply. Thank you.
Did you ever get an answer? In my case it appears not to be the hard drive. GULP.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 AM   #52
jk77

About 6 years ago I upgraded my single drive TIVO to a two drive system. Recently my second drive has begun to have errors - my first drive is still fine. I have gotten a new disk for my second drive. Is there any way to save my recorded programs on my first drive?
jk77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:51 AM   #53
jilter
Happy to be here.

Lou,
I am confused.
Did your company used to be located in Chicago?
I want to upgrade and seem to remember corresponding about dropping my unit off
instead of shipping.
Thanks,
Jill
Old 09-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #54
hopefulboydy

Series 3 reboot loop issue

Hi,

I have a Series 3 tivo with lifetime service that has died on me. It is stuck in a reboot loop. It powers up, turns on the 4 LEDs and the tivo logo in the OLED screen. At the same time it puts the "powering up" splash screen to the TV. After some time, the 4 leds and logo go out and the amber one flashes briefly. a few seconds later, the screen goes blank the whole loop starts again.
I have verified its not my Hard drive as I had an upgraded disk in there, so after swapping it for the pristene original drive, the issue still occurs. I even tried to get the kickstart to work but after the amber light goes solid and I type the kickstart code, nothing happens. The amber light goes out and it just waits a few seconds and starts the loop gain. I know that it must be accessing the hard drive as when I boot without the HD connected it just sits at the powering up screen.
I did a quick check of some of the power supply outputs but they seem fine. However I would like to do a comprehensive check of all of the outputs. Do you know where I can get a list of the voltages being supplied to the main board connector? There is a list in this thread but it might not be valid for the series 3. I have access to an electronics lab so can do any test on the power supply you recommend. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
hopefulboydy
hopefulboydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #55
LazySusan

All I had to do was unplug and plug back in, and it worked!
LazySusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 AM   #56
mmorq

Boot in Windows

Quote:
Originally Posted by xunil76 View Post
tivoupgrade, i haven't read this entire thread yet, so i'm not sure if it's been mentioned or not....but you may want to post a disclaimer in your "Warning!" section that no one should EVER boot into a Windows environment while the computer has a Tivo drive connected to it.

This can possibly save some people a lot of grief, as even many people who consider themselves "PC guys" can have lots of problems, as they may not necessarily know that the Windows environment can corrupt their Tivo drive's boot sector.
So I have my drive and it did accidentally get booted in windows XP while hooked up to the PC. Is there anything that can be done to restore it? If I can find an image (rs-tx20), do I need to do any kind of a format first?
mmorq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #57
mmorq

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorq View Post
So I have my drive and it did accidentally get booted in windows XP while hooked up to the PC. Is there anything that can be done to restore it? If I can find an image (rs-tx20), do I need to do any kind of a format first?

I have the mfstools and could load the image, but right now (after booting into windows) I am not able to save the old image.
mmorq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #58
dgel

Hi, I didnt see freezing on the first posting. It occasionally reboots, but mainly freezes once every day or two--very annoying. Is that a sign of a bad HD or something else? Would using clear all/delete on tivo menu make a dif or do I need a new HD. Thanks I have series 2 R10.DTV..about 8 yrs old. Any advice welcome.
dgel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:44 PM   #59
ss_sea_ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmorq View Post
I have the mfstools and could load the image, but right now (after booting into windows) I am not able to save the old image.
Try WINMFS and mfslive.org. THere is a "Fix boot" option there that might work.
DirecTV Hughs HDVR2 (Tivo version, SD)
(original 40G good drive but replacement 320G drive now "under repair").
ss_sea_ya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #60
oarsman

Thumbs up thank you

Thanks for the useful, step-by-step advice in this thread. It's very helpful for those of us with an older Tivo where the hard drive has failed.
oarsman is offline   Reply With Quote