TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-13-2010, 12:03 PM   #1
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Paranoid S3 newb question...

Finally got a TivoHD working with a cable card, and am now playing with it a bit.

From the Now Playing list, I pressed Enter to change options, and turned off Groups to see what that would look like. As soon as I chose the option to save the changes, the unit immediately rebooted.

Of course I didn't think that was normal, and after it came back up I turned Groups back on, then turned them off again but the reboot didn't happen a second time.

So my question is - is the TivoHD going to spontaneously reboot like that occasionally, or should I be worried that this happened?
Old 01-13-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
<snip>So my question is - is the TivoHD going to spontaneously reboot like that occasionally, or should I be worried that this happened?
This most definitely should not happen. But, there may be other things going on, like maybe a software update requiring a reboot. Even so, it should not reboot when the TiVo is in use. If it happens again, I would contact TiVo and ask them.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
solutionsetc

If it happens again I would return it to where you bought it as defective. It should not reboot. I bought two last year and one of them rebooted several times during the first week. All TiVo will do is make you jump through a bunch (usually useless) hoops and finally send you a refurb to replace your brand new out-of-the-box with a problem unit.
solutionsetc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:07 PM   #4
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

since you say you just got it working with cable cards then likely the unit was indexing a lot of new or updated guide data and was working hard already when you gave it more to do.

I would not worry unless you see it happening again.

in general, when you make changes that effect guide data it is best to let the box be for some hours to let it digest the guide data.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by solutionsetc View Post
All TiVo will do is make you jump through a bunch (usually useless) hoops and finally send you a refurb to replace your brand new out-of-the-box with a problem unit.
I already went through 2 defective refurbs trying to get one that worked. Tivo finally sent me this one - a brand new unit and it worked. No way I'm ever taking another refurb!

Quote:
since you say you just got it working with cable cards then likely the unit was indexing a lot of new or updated guide data and was working hard already when you gave it more to do.
I got it 5 days ago and immediately updated the software and got the guide data current overnight. 2 days ago Comcast sent the cable card a hit and it worked perfectly. 4 days should be enough time to do indexing, shouldn't it?

After the fiasco with the 2 refurbs, I'm a bit skittish right now. If I have to send this one back too, I might just bag it and keep my Comcast DVR.
Old 01-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
RoyK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post

I would not worry unless you see it happening again.

in general, when you make changes that effect guide data it is best to let the box be for some hours to let it digest the guide data.
I wouldn't worry either. I'd send the thing back while it's still in warranty. It is NOT normal for a TiVo to spontaneously reboot. On the other hand I had to go through THREE TiVo HDs before I got one that behaved (except for the gray screen issue).
RoyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

It's not unheard of for a Tivo to spontaniously reboot, but it should be a rare event.
It happened to me once when I had the original hard drive and I think 3 times since I upgraded to 1 TB. Each time I was doing whatever, adjusting settings or checking signal strength, etc. One even happened while I was using the Netflix app.
It didn't bother me, I'm used to Windows after all.
How far out is the 30 day full warranty?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 11:22 PM   #8
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
How far out is the 30 day full warranty?
Shipped on 12/31, arrived 1/8.

I REALLY don't want to send this one back. It's the first out of 3 that worked!

Let me ask one more question. The tivo's response is sometimes a bit slow. Such as when I go to the Now Playing screen, it can take up to 5 seconds or so for the list to appear. Is that typical? Maybe I'm just used to the Comcast DVR which responds pretty quickly.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:40 PM   #9
ZeoTiVo
I can't explain

Quote:
Shipped on 12/31, arrived 1/8.

I REALLY don't want to send this one back. It's the first out of 3 that worked!

Let me ask one more question. The tivo's response is sometimes a bit slow. Such as when I go to the Now Playing screen, it can take up to 5 seconds or so for the list to appear. Is that typical? Maybe I'm just used to the Comcast DVR which responds pretty quickly.

5 seconds is not typical at all and speaks to memory issues as the cache of data in memory to make the menu was not seen as sufficient and it had to go and fetch the data from the drive again - likely.
How many shows in now playing? how many season passes?

PS - that memory issue could be what caused the reboot. TiVoApp got to a point where it no longer trusted what was in memory - and did the best thing it could of simply starting over from scratch.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:47 PM   #10
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeoTiVo View Post
5 seconds is not typical at all and speaks to memory issues as the cache of data in memory to make the menu was not seen as sufficient and it had to go and fetch the data from the drive again - likely.
How many shows in now playing? how many season passes?

PS - that memory issue could be what caused the reboot. TiVoApp got to a point where it no longer trusted what was in memory - and did the best thing it could of simply starting over from scratch.
That could be it. There are only a couple of shows in the Now Playing list.

I have 30 Season Passes and the Season Pass Manager screen comes up pretty quickly.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:31 AM   #11
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Ok, I just went into my To Do List for the first time, and it took a REALLY long time to come up. 15 seconds or so. Though after it came up the first time, exiting it and bringing it up again was much quicker.

Should I be worried?
Old 01-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
steve614
what ru lookin at?

I wouldn't be. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if any other menus are slow when you go to them for the first time.
I consider it the "break in" period.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 01-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
bkdtv

Quote:
Ok, I just went into my To Do List for the first time, and it took a REALLY long time to come up. 15 seconds or so. Though after it came up the first time, exiting it and bringing it up again was much quicker.
As per the stickied FAQ, the TiVo is slower than usual for the first 48-72 hours after the software update, as guide databases are reindexed in the background.
bkdtv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:46 PM   #14
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

It's been almost a week since the software update, but I'll give it some time.

I know I'm being paranoid, but after spending 2 months trying to get 2 defective refurbs to work I'm a bit hypersensitive.

Thanks for the reassurances.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 AM   #15
miller890

If the problem is not power related or over-heating I would suspect a hard drive issue. Do Not wait any longer, call Tivo and demand results. Where are you with the 30 day return policy? It's time to stop playing nice.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #16
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Well this Tivo HD is now on the way back to Tivo. It kept rebooting itself occasionally, and never got quicker at displaying the NP list or the To Do list. Sometimes the To Do list never would come up and it would reboot itself.

The other symptom I saw was in the System Info screen on the third page where it would show the Guide Data Cache fields (last date, status), sometime those fields would be completely blank. That was usually a sign that soon the NP list would take too long to come up and it would reboot.

Last night I was watching a show, hit the Record button, and the "Please Wait" message came up in the corner and wouldn't go away. From that point the tivo was frozen, other then the live show was still playing. Any remote button would cause a yellow light flash, but no response.

So that's 2 refurbs and a brand new unit that have all been defective (the two refurbs wouldn't even validate a cable card, and the new unit appears to have a bad drive). The rep that arranged this latest exchange told me that they would send a new unit and NOT a refurb since I was within 30 days. But then he said to only send back the unit and not the remote or cables. I told him I had expected to send it all back because I figured they would send me a new unopened retail unit, and repeated that I definitely did NOT want another refurb. He assured me again that it would be new.

Has anyone else ever gotten a brand new unit for an exchange but without the cables and remote? If it turns out to be a refurb I'm going to commit homicide over the phone...
Old 01-26-2010, 08:40 PM   #17
pl1

Quote:
Has anyone else ever gotten a brand new unit for an exchange but without the cables and remote? If it turns out to be a refurb I'm going to commit homicide over the phone...
It's your lucky day. You get to keep everything and you will get a complete unit with new cables and remote. Unless something changed, that is how I got an extra remote and cables for my Orig S3's.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
miller890

You have had too much bad luck. I would make sure you are not using a bad power supply or overloading it causing low voltage...get something new or better yet an APC unit. Make sure your cabinet has plenty of air. Also when you install, keep in mind there is a hard drive spinning...keep movement of a powered up unit to a bare minimum. Good luck with this one.
Comcast, all wired to 1GB
miller890 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 12:13 AM   #19
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
It's your lucky day. You get to keep everything and you will get a complete unit with new cables and remote. Unless something changed, that is how I got an extra remote and cables for my Orig S3's.
We'll see. I'm still suspicious that it won't be brand new. This adventure has made me a pessimist I'm afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller890 View Post
You have had too much bad luck. I would make sure you are not using a bad power supply or overloading it causing low voltage...get something new or better yet an APC unit. Make sure your cabinet has plenty of air. Also when you install, keep in mind there is a hard drive spinning...keep movement of a powered up unit to a bare minimum. Good luck with this one.
This was plugged into the same APC UPS as the Comcast DVR and that's been working like a champ for years now. The voltage rating on the UPS should handle both. Cabinet is open in the front and back, and the temp reported by the tivo was a steady 37 degrees C. After wasting a month of time and Comcast visits on each the first two refurbs, you better believe I was careful with the new one.

Fingers are crossed.

The next one better be it though. I'm not sure I can keep doing this only to end up disappointed each time.
Old 01-27-2010, 02:09 AM   #20
richsadams

Quote:
Well this Tivo HD is now on the way back to Tivo.
Wow...that is just incredible. Either a terrible run of luck or you're living under power lines...whatever it is, it's got to be frustrating.

With regard to the cables, a lot of companies do that. Cable and materials packages that have been opened are almost useless to them. They already have crates of new, well, everything and it's much easier for them to just throw them into a box with a refurb. Now that doesn't ally your concerns about getting a new unit Vs a refurb, but I think you'll probably get a new one. Even if you sent your cables, remote, everything back, they'd just toss them in the trash. Sad but true. They just don't have time to see if the components work or not, to bundle up cables and such so it's cheaper to not even mess with them.

Anyway, best of luck...fourth time is the charm?
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:04 AM   #21
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Now that doesn't ally your concerns about getting a new unit Vs a refurb, but I think you'll probably get a new one.
I'm not saying this is what WILL happen, but when I thought there was a problem with my S3 within the 30 day period, I got to keep everything but the TiVo hardware itself and I received a brand new retail box, leading me to believe it was a brand new TiVo. At least it looked brand new to me!

Last edited by pl1 : 01-27-2010 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:49 AM   #22
jrtroo
User

voltage is not a sign of capacity of a UPS. move the plugs around to make sure, and not guess, at a internal house Power Quality problem.
jrtroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
voltage is not a sign of capacity of a UPS. move the plugs around to make sure, and not guess, at a internal house Power Quality problem.
Fair point.

Before I sent this one back, the first CS rep asked me to plug it into an outlet on a different circuit instead of the UPS (he also asked me to disconnect the cable and phone line until I saw the "just a few minutes more" screen then reconnect them).

I did all that but it made no difference. If they send me a new one and it acts the same, I will definitely start to suspect a problem with my power.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:36 AM   #24
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
I'm not saying this is what WILL happen, but when I thought there was a problem with my S3 within the 30 day period, I got to keep everything but the TiVo hardware itself and I received a brand new retail box, leading me to believe it was a brand new TiVo. At least it looked brand new to me!
I'm sure it was. I guess I was assuming that if I only sent back the tivo itself, that they would send me one of the same in a plain brown box (like when I exchanged my first refurb for another refurb).

If they send me a brand new retail box with everything included, I'll certainly believe it to be new.

I've decided not to worry about that part of it until it arrives.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

It arrived this morning - complete retail box, so I guess I don't have to call up tivo and go crazy on their ass for sending a refurb.

It's downloading as I type. As soon as I get the software upgrade, I'll send the pairing info to my Comcast guy and he'll have them hit the cable card.

Third Fourth time's the charm...
Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #26
djwilso

Quote:
It arrived this morning - complete retail box, so I guess I don't have to call up tivo and go crazy on their ass for sending a refurb.

It's downloading as I type. As soon as I get the software upgrade, I'll send the pairing info to my Comcast guy and he'll have them hit the cable card.

Wow, man. Good luck.

I am very grateful that my original S3 has been working well for over 3 years (with the notable exception of the Netflix app), including a 1TB hard drive upgrade using instructions from the great folks on TiVo Community.
djwilso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:51 PM   #27
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwilso View Post
Wow, man. Good luck.

I am very grateful that my original S3 has been working well for over 3 years (with the notable exception of the Netflix app), including a 1TB hard drive upgrade using instructions from the great folks on TiVo Community.
+1 (Although I don't have Netflix, the rest applies).
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:45 PM   #28
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
I can only imagine, as all my Tivos have worked as expected (so far).

Good luck.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #29
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Thanks for the well wishes!

So far so good. I've finished updating the software and forwarded the pairing info to my Comcast guy.

The menus seem speedier to me already, though I have no recordings yet and the NP List was the one that came up the slowest on the last unit.

I'm going to record a bunch of shows overnight and see how fast the list comes up in the morning.
Old 02-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #30
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

They hit the cable card today and all is working perfectly.

The menus are much speedier than the previous unit, especially the NP List which comes up in 2 seconds max as opposed to 5-20 seconds in the previous unit (I recorded over 30 shows overnight to test the NP List speed).

I think this one might be a keeper!