TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #541
tivoupgrade
Sponsor
 
tivoupgrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray View Post
I no longer using a hard drive that was used for my Tivo. I bought an enclosure and i went to the seagate website and downloaded the diagonostic tools. But when I connect the HD to both my Mac and Pc, the Hd is not recognized.
In my research, it appears that I need to get a linux boot Cd and then I can reformat my hard drive and put Os or windows in it.

Can I use this Cd for that?
No - but you shouldn't need to. Not sure about your MAC, but I've put used TiVo HD drives in PC's (running Windows XP) at one time or another and they work fine - remember you need to go into the admin tools to configure the new drive, its not going to show up automatically... That's a Windows issue, though...
__________________




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 05:17 AM   #542
bengalfreak
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by smw6230 View Post
I can't seem to get the LBA48 CD to mount properly.

I just upgraded a Series 1 (Philips) from 40gb in WinMFS to 320gb.

The last task I need to accomplish now is to patch the new drive with a hacked LBA48 kernel. That is where my problem lies.

The log scrolls by fast so I can't really study it but from what I've been able to pick out my CDROM is 'hdb' and my target drive is 'hde'.

I've let the program run through and that doesn't seem to work. I've tried mounting it with the following command;

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom

and I get the following;

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
mount:block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/hdb already mounted or /cdrom busy
mount: according to mtab, dev/hdb is mounted on /var/log/mount

So from that it looks like the CDROM may be mounted.

But when I enter copykern and attempt to modify/change the kernel for my tivo (Series 1 standalone) I get the following error.

/cdrom/s1_Kernels/kernel-301/vmlinux-3.0.px.gz:
no such file or directory
tpip:unknown bootpage signature 0xff33
kernel updated!

I'm completely stumped on how to get copykern to mount. It looks easy but obviously I'm missing something.

Also of possible note is the fact that I am operating off a computer with a single IDE channel. Therefore I have it configured as CDROM to primary IDE during boot, then after it boots, I pull the ide from the back of the CDROM and connect it to my drive.

I've tried connecting everything up, CDROM as primary master, to the IDE channel, with the drive attached on the same ide cable jumped as slave and plugged into the appropriate slot.

Can anyone help?
Here are some ideas. I too only have 1 IDE channel on my system, and I had to pull the CDROM drive and jumper it as slave, while putting the hard drive I wanted to put in the Tivo on the master connector. It was the only way to get my system to recognize both drives. Secondly, I found that the folder names for the kernels have changed on the boot disk.

Stick your boot disk in your CDROM drive, while booted in Windows, and see what the folder names are. Mine was in a folder called S1_KERNE instead of s1_Kernels. And the folders inside that folder were called KERNEL_X.X where X is the version number of the kernel you need.

Hope this helps. I had some of the same problems recently.
__________________
The Bengals and Tivo, life should have a few obsessions.
bengalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 11:59 AM   #543
tivoupgrade
Sponsor
 
tivoupgrade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Chicago, IL USA
Posts: 2,494
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Here are some ideas. I too only have 1 IDE channel on my system, and I had to pull the CDROM drive and jumper it as slave, while putting the hard drive I wanted to put in the Tivo on the master connector. It was the only way to get my system to recognize both drives. Secondly, I found that the folder names for the kernels have changed on the boot disk.

Stick your boot disk in your CDROM drive, while booted in Windows, and see what the folder names are. Mine was in a folder called S1_KERNE instead of s1_Kernels. And the folders inside that folder were called KERNEL_X.X where X is the version number of the kernel you need.

Hope this helps. I had some of the same problems recently.
I think what you are seeing there is what windows does to compensate for FAT entries that are longer than 8 characters. The folder names haven't actually changed, though.

The the OP; have you tried just using the "df" command after booting the CD-ROM to see what devices are seen?

Not sure why you are having so much trouble - I've never tried using the CD with a drive on a single IDE system, but as long as you've got one drive configured as the master and the other as the slave, you shouldn't have a problem. You might also try disabling any SATA interfaces in case they may interfering.

Lou
__________________




To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 01:51 PM   #544
smw6230
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
Here are some ideas. I too only have 1 IDE channel on my system, and I had to pull the CDROM drive and jumper it as slave, while putting the hard drive I wanted to put in the Tivo on the master connector. It was the only way to get my system to recognize both drives. Secondly, I found that the folder names for the kernels have changed on the boot disk.

Stick your boot disk in your CDROM drive, while booted in Windows, and see what the folder names are. Mine was in a folder called S1_KERNE instead of s1_Kernels. And the folders inside that folder were called KERNEL_X.X where X is the version number of the kernel you need.

Hope this helps. I had some of the same problems recently.
Thanks bengal, I got it fixed. There actually wasn't a problem with drive configuration. Everyting worked with CDROM master (hda) and the Tivo drive as slave (hdb). My real problem, posted in a non-sticky thread, was this was my first attempt at an upgrade and having gotten to the LBA48 kernal part I didn't want to screw up my new drive. So instead I was using a WD2500JB hard drive that was corrputed in another tivo as a test drive, if you will, to make sure that everything worked before I used my good drive.

Once I figured out that the error stemmed from the inability of the boot CD to read/write onto the test drive, everything went smoothly after I switched the drives and used the good one as the target.

Sucks that it took me two days to see that obvious problem, but........
smw6230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #545
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
How to get "copykern" to run

If you've made it this far into the thread you're probably poor and desperate. : - )


If you're desperate, but still have a couple of nickles to rub together left over after buying that big ol' upgrade hard drive, please consider one of the commercial offerings of the sponsors who pay to keep this forum online. If you haven't bought that big ol' hard drive yet, they can hook you up with that as well, and maybe even save you having to run "copykern" in the first place.


The link (as of May 3rd, 2010) to the zip of the iso of the free 4.04 cd is

http://www.dvrupgrade.com/dvr/stores...8-4.04.iso.zip

and the way to mount it for the specific purpose of running "copykern" after booting it, but before running "copykern", is

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdx /cdrom

where the "x" in hdx is

"a" if your cd drive is primary (IDE 0) master

"b" if your cd drive is primary (IDE 0) slave

"c" if your cd drive is secondary (IDE 1) master

"d" if your cd drive is secondary (IDE 1) slave

The hyphen t flag/option (hyphens indicate that what immediately, i.e., no space in between, follows is a flag/option) tells the mount command that what follows the space after the "t" is the file system used by what it's supposed to mount, and iso9660 is the standard used by data cds.


The /dev/hdx is the device you want to mount and the /cdrom is the directory you want to use as the mount point.

When you boot the computer with this cd it creates the /cdrom directory, along with some others, as a mount point. Since it's already available, use it instead of creating your own with "mkdir".

After you mount the cd drive on the mount point "cdrom", just type in "copykern" (without the quotation marks) and hit the Enter key. It will step you through the process.

Do not "cd" (change directory) into "/cdrom" first.

You can reach me by putting coastalnet.com after my username with the appropriate squiggly thing in between.

Last edited by unitron : 04-10-2011 at 03:40 PM. Reason: to change spelling from sponser to sponsor
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:27 PM   #546
sl8r1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 8
If you want a series 2 kernal, this disc is not free. $10 is trivial and not a big deal, but can we be honest?

Burning the 'free' disc and booting to prompt, only to realize that there are Series 1 kernels on there is a bit of a hassle.
sl8r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:33 AM   #547
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by sl8r1 View Post
If you want a series 2 kernal, this disc is not free. $10 is trivial and not a big deal, but can we be honest?

Burning the 'free' disc and booting to prompt, only to realize that there are Series 1 kernels on there is a bit of a hassle.
It doesn't have Series 1 kernels, it has patches for the Series 1 kernel.

If you have a Series 2, you already have LBA48 support.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #548
pcmodem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1
Thanks for the info!
pcmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 05:20 PM   #549
Mfusick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10
What do I need to install an upgraded hardrive in my HD tivo?

I have the Tivo HD 2160 model. The original drive died. I have a 750 gig drive and torx drivers.

What I don't have is the install CD, or any software. What software do I need ?

Where can I get it? It is free?
Mfusick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 06:55 PM   #550
dwit
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,652
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick View Post
What do I need to install an upgraded hardrive in my HD tivo?

I have the Tivo HD 2160 model. The original drive died. I have a 750 gig drive and torx drivers.

What I don't have is the install CD, or any software. What software do I need ?

Where can I get it? It is free?
If the hard drive is truly "dead", then you will need to obtain an "image" of the Tivo HD software, to load onto a new hard drive. You may be able to obtain an image from the "Need an Image?" begging thread, here in the Upgrade forum, or you can buy the "Instant Cake" image from dvrupgrade.com(downloaded, burned to cd image, or mailed cd). It is $40. Includes all the software you need to create a new Tivo HD hard drive.

If you are able to obtain an image, then you can use the free tools(winmfs-easy, or the mfslive cd-more advanced) from mfslive.org to create a new hard drive. These tools can create a drive up to 1 TB in capacity. See the "Uprgrade" sticky thread in the S3HD Forum for instructions.

If you decide to upgrade to 2 TB, you will need to use the free JMFS program. Instructions here in the Upgrade Forum, but first you will need to have a working Tivo hard drive to copy. It is basically a cloning program, so does not utilize an image, per se.

Good luck.
__________________
Tivo HD Lifetime 1TB int, 1TB ext
Tivo 540040 400 GB Lifetime
Tivo S2DT 750 GB msd
Toshiba sdh400 r.i.p.
dwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #551
videobruce
OTA is still alive
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 209
Quote:
or you can buy the "Instant Cake" image from dvrupgrade.com(downloaded, burned to cd image, or mailed cd). It is $40. Includes all the software you need to create a new Tivo HD hard drive.
If you can get it to work since it doesn't allow mounting SATA optical drives and their support forum is apparently dead!
I wasted a half a day on that outdated program.
videobruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #552
ruckus816
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 9
their site wouldn't even let me send in a question.
ruckus816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #553
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus816 View Post
their site wouldn't even let me send in a question.
So ask us the question instead.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:06 PM   #554
Darr247
Registered User
 
Darr247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
So ask us the question instead.
Drive '1' is 1TB WD10EAVS (out of my S3 THX - I guess you guys call them OLED S3's) in a KingWin KF-1000 Trayless Rack.
Drive '6' is a new/blank 2TB WD20EURS connected via SATA/PATA -> USB adapter (next computer I'll put 2 of those trayless docks in).
Computer's OS is XP Pro SP3.

Running WinMFS beta 9.3f... is this really all the settings I need to do, and click Start?
(then Supersize drive '6' when it's done copying?)

Am I missing something... I mean is it really that simple?
Or have I been paying $30-$50 extra for larger drives just for this?

Thanks for any info/warnings you can give me before I click Start. :-)
Darr247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 11:56 PM   #555
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post
Drive '1' is 1TB WD10EAVS (out of my S3 THX - I guess you guys call them OLED S3's) in a KingWin KF-1000 Trayless Rack.
Drive '6' is a new/blank 2TB WD20EURS connected via SATA/PATA -> USB adapter (next computer I'll put 2 of those trayless docks in).
Computer's OS is XP Pro SP3.

Running WinMFS beta 9.3f... is this really all the settings I need to do, and click Start?
(then Supersize drive '6' when it's done copying?)

Am I missing something... I mean is it really that simple?
Or have I been paying $30-$50 extra for larger drives just for this?

Thanks for any info/warnings you can give me before I click Start. :-)
Okay, you've got version 11.0k of the TiVo operating system, so it can handle a 2TB drive (it was only with "k" or maybe the one before that this became possible).

On the left you've got the correct drive selected as the "A" drive for the source.

One the right, under Destination, change the "B" drive to none, and the "A" drive to the one to which you want to copy, which I assume is 6.


If it were me, I'd increase the swap size, even though others haven't bothered to in the same circumstance and seem to be doing okay.

To do that, check the Custom Linux Swap Size (MB) checkbox and put the number 1024 into the text box.

Leave "No Optimized Partition Layout" UNchecked, because you DO want the optimized layout that's the way TiVo has been doing it since the Series 2s.

Then click Start and prepare to wait a while.

It may look like it's frozen up and isn't making any progress, but it is.


When it finally finishes, it'll say you have extra space and ask if you want to expand.


Tell it NO. Do not expand at this time.

Click on File, click on select drive, and select the drive to which you just copied, the 2TB drive.

Then click on the thing to the right of File, and click on mfsinfo, just to be sure it doesn't throw any error messages.

You should have the same partition map as the 1TB, with a big Apple Free partition added on the end.

Exit from that, and click file and then mfsadd.

That will handle the expansion.

It will expand the size of your 15th partition, which should be your 3rd MFS Media partition.

If it says something about a single partition exceeding 1.2TB, tell it yes, that's what you meant to do.

That should do it.

You can check it again in mfsinfo to make sure everything looks kosher.

If so, put it in the TiVo.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #556
Darr247
Registered User
 
Darr247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Okay, you've got version 11.0k of the TiVo operating system, so it can handle a 2TB drive (it was only with "k" or maybe the one before that this became possible).

On the left you've got the correct drive selected as the "A" drive for the source.

One the right, under Destination, change the "B" drive to none, and the "A" drive to the one to which you want to copy, which I assume is 6..
Good call... with the 'B' drive set on the right, clicking Start just told me "No Drive Selected!"


Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If it were me, I'd increase the swap size, even though others haven't bothered to in the same circumstance and seem to be doing okay.

To do that, check the Custom Linux Swap Size (MB) checkbox and put the number 1024 into the text box..
I'm trying that on a second WD20EURS right now (got them on sale at newegg last week for $80 each)... though with only 128MB of RAM in the S3 THX (erp - OLED S3), I'm not sure much over 512MB of swap will be useful... but what the heck - the extra 512's only a half hour of SD time reduction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Leave "No Optimized Partition Layout" UNchecked, because you DO want the optimized layout that's the way TiVo has been doing it since the Series 2s.

Then click Start and prepare to wait a while.

It may look like it's frozen up and isn't making any progress, but it is.
It took 28.5 minutes... but the 1TB was far from full. A few hours of downloaded SD podcasts and Stargate:Universe (HD)... but lots of Season Passes and manual record times, which is the main reason I wanted the full copy. I assume it would have been under 15 minutes with both drives on the SATA bus instead of the 2TB drive on a USB adapter.
Result: 288 hours of HD; 2513 hours of SD.


Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
When it finally finishes, it'll say you have extra space and ask if you want to expand.


Tell it NO. Do not expand at this time.

Click on File, click on select drive, and select the drive to which you just copied, the 2TB drive.

Then click on the thing to the right of File, and click on mfsinfo, just to be sure it doesn't throw any error messages.

You should have the same partition map as the 1TB, with a big Apple Free partition added on the end.

Exit from that, and click file and then mfsadd.

That will handle the expansion.
Can you tell me any problem[s] in particular which can't be recovered by running the auto-MFSadd (answering Yes to the 'you have extra capacity... do you want to expand?' prompt), that can be recovered from by not trying MFSadd first?


Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
It will expand the size of your 15th partition, which should be your 3rd MFS Media partition.

If it says something about a single partition exceeding 1.2TB, tell it yes, that's what you meant to do.
It made the 15th partition 1.6TB, for what that info's worth.

MFSinfo pre-MFSadd
MFSinfo post-MFSadd

The first one's been happily working in the S3 for over 12 hours now, and those screen grabs above are from the second one, on which I'm also going to try an open-source alternative to WD's wdidle3 program.

I wish I would have bought more of those drives, now. :-|

Anyway... thanks for the quick reply and tips!
Darr247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #557
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
A recently manufactured WD20EURS should not need wdidle3 the way actual Caviar Green drives do.

The expansion has to be done as a separate step with WinMFS because just accepting the offer to expand after copying may appear to work, but actually doesn't.

I don't know why.

It would be interesting to know why, but since it can be done the other way, I can live with that.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:31 AM   #558
djtravis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lockport, IL
Posts: 44
I am trying to put a 1T drive in my S3 TiVo and I am not having any luck with winmfs beta 9.3f (running XP home SP3). I purchased 2 WD Black 1T drives and I have tried both and I get the same error on each. The backup worked just fine. The restore goes through the motion (maybe 30 seconds or less) and finishes with "Error writing media inode0". I ran diagnostics on the new drive and it tests ok. Any ideas?
__________________
djt
djtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:52 PM   #559
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtravis View Post
I am trying to put a 1T drive in my S3 TiVo and I am not having any luck with winmfs beta 9.3f (running XP home SP3). I purchased 2 WD Black 1T drives and I have tried both and I get the same error on each. The backup worked just fine. The restore goes through the motion (maybe 30 seconds or less) and finishes with "Error writing media inode0". I ran diagnostics on the new drive and it tests ok. Any ideas?
You should have gotten a WD20EURS, but the blacks should work.

Are you copying the original 250GB (TCD648250--OLED S3) or 160GB (TCD652160--S3 HD) drive to to the black, or creating a truncated backup file (.tbk) from the original drive and then trying to restore to the 1TB from that file?

Can you have your Windows drive, your original TiVo drive, and one of the 1TB Caviar Blacks all connected to the PC at the same time?
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:28 AM   #560
djtravis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lockport, IL
Posts: 44
To try to answer your question (hopefully): I created a .tbk file from the (I think) working TiVo 500G drive. Then I tried to restore to the 1T drive. I gave up on winmfs & went back to mftools because I didn't really trust the winmfs backup image even if it had restored. History: When I got the S3, I removed the 250G drive immediately & made a backup using mftools, then I restored that backup onto a 500G drive and have been using that 500G drive for 7 years, it now broke. I purchased the Black drive & tried to restore that backup file onto the Black (1T) drive. The backup file is a version 8 software. I had the XP system set up as hda=TiVo drive (Black), hdb=backup image (FAT32), & hdc=CD/DVD drive. That restore failed on 2 different computers using 2 different 1T drives. I stayed up late last night & changed the drive hookup & set it up as hda=TiVo drive (Black), hdc=CD/DVD, & hdd=backup image (FAT32). I suceeded in making a copy and I now have that system working, after I forced an update to V11m software. I have 2 systems, I cannot get the image restored to the 2nd Black drive. I ran WD diagnostics on the 1T drives and it says all ok. I'm going to try the restore a couple more times this morning just for the fun of it. The restore (mfstools) worked w/o a hitch 7 years ago when I did them initially using the same computer as I'm using now. The computer has PATA interface & I have a PATA to SATA adapter that I use for the TiVo drive.
__________________
djt
djtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #561
djtravis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Lockport, IL
Posts: 44
I sort of answered my own question, I think. I tried to restore my original image to the Black 1T drive twice more and both times the restore fails at the same point. So, I tried again, but this time I did not issue the hdparm (dma) commands. The restore is now taking place, ever so slow, but it is working. I'm guessing about 20 times slower than with the hdparm commands issued. I don't know why the copy with hdparm command worked on one drive and not the other, but if the restore will work w/o that command, I don't care. Thank you for all of the information in the forum and a shoulder to cry on.
__________________
djt
djtravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 06:33 PM   #562
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by djtravis View Post
I sort of answered my own question, I think. I tried to restore my original image to the Black 1T drive twice more and both times the restore fails at the same point. So, I tried again, but this time I did not issue the hdparm (dma) commands. The restore is now taking place, ever so slow, but it is working. I'm guessing about 20 times slower than with the hdparm commands issued. I don't know why the copy with hdparm command worked on one drive and not the other, but if the restore will work w/o that command, I don't care. Thank you for all of the information in the forum and a shoulder to cry on.
I've used hdparm for monkeying with the reported LBA number (especially when having to undo the mischief of a GigaByte motherboard's nasty tendency to create unasked for HPA's), but I didn't even know there was a way or a reason to use it when restoring TiVo images or copying TiVo drives.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 10:21 PM   #563
lmbebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Hi

Its been a long time since I've played around with my Tivo HD. It was originally a 160gb version. I think I had upgraded it to 500 gb back in 2007.

Just started getting HD problems. So I'm looking to replace my HD again.

I've read a few things and just not sure if its all correct.

1. mfslive is still the software to restore my backup images from 2007? Or I guess I can save my current image (with mcard info, etc)

2. Anyway to expand the size to 2tb (looking at that WDEURS? drive I've seen mentioned on here).

3. Can all this be done from an external esata or usb enclosure?

4. jmfs is for the series 4 tivos only?

Thanks
lmbebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #564
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmbebo View Post
Hi

Its been a long time since I've played around with my Tivo HD. It was originally a 160gb version. I think I had upgraded it to 500 gb back in 2007.

Just started getting HD problems. So I'm looking to replace my HD again.

I've read a few things and just not sure if its all correct.

1. mfslive is still the software to restore my backup images from 2007? Or I guess I can save my current image (with mcard info, etc)

2. Anyway to expand the size to 2tb (looking at that WDEURS? drive I've seen mentioned on here).

3. Can all this be done from an external esata or usb enclosure?

4. jmfs is for the series 4 tivos only?

Thanks
Although it's a good idea to have a copy of the MFS Live cd v1.4 on hand, I'm assuming you can run WinMFS with admin privileges, and I'd recommend that.

You can use MFS Live to do backup of the drive in there now, which will produce a .bak file, and you can use MFS Live to restore .bak files, and assuming it'll work with a 2TB drive at all, I guess it'll create a really big Apple Free partition on the end of the target drive.

But I'm pretty sure you'll have to use WinMFS to actually expand into the unused space on the 2TB.

WinMFS, although written by the same guy (spike) as the one who turned MFS Tools into the MFS Live cd, does not work with .bak truncated TiVo backup files. It doesn't write them or restore from them.

It has its own truncated TiVo backup file format, that produces .tbk files, which are not usable by MFS Live or MFS Tools.

As long as that S3 HD has been upgraded to version 11.0k or 11.0m of the TiVo operating system software (look on the system information page), you can use WinMFS for upgrading to drives up to and including 2TB and not worry about messing with jmfs.

The WD20EURS is a "green" drive, but it's not a Caviar Green, so it doesn't have Intellipark enabled (and maybe it's not even in the firmware to enable in the first place), so you don't need to run wdidle3.exe to disable it, which would have required hooking it directly to the motherboard.

So you can do the upgrade hooking it up via USB.

As far as I know you can hook up via USB and run the WD diagnostic software long test before putting that EURS into service just to be sure there's nothing wrong with it (ship happens )


Use WinMFS to make a current backup (.tbk file) of the current hard drive, but go ahead and see if you can't copy it to the EURS as well--it'll take time, but all your settings and shows will be saved.

After it finishes the copy (or if you make a back up and then restore to the 2TB from that truncated backup), when it finishes it'll say you've got extra space, do you want to expand.

Tell it no.

Close out that box and check the 2TB with mfsinfo (if you did a copy from the other drive, you'll have to change which drive is selected first), just to make sure everything looks kosher (it'll show a big Apple Free partition on the end of the drive).

At that point you should probably put the 2TB in the TiVo and run it awhile to make sure it's working okay.

Then you can hook it back up to the PC and run WinMFS again and select it can click on mfsadd to expand. You'll need to tell it yes, you want a partition bigger than 1.2TB.


Earlier, when you do the copy or restore, it'll probably pop up a box asking if you want the opimized partition layout (you do), and offering the chance at a custom swap partition size.

If it were me, I'd choose to make the swap 1000 or 1024 MB just as cheap insurance against any risk of a problem that can't be fixed by the TiVo itself with the original swap size. It's only like 15 minutes of standard def video worth of space. WinMFS's supersize option will give you more than that.

For some reason trying to expand when it offers to at the end of a restore or copy doesn't work, although it might say that it did.

I don't know why, but you have to do it as a separate step, even if during the same overall WinMFS session.

As WinMFS does a backup, and especially as it does a drive to drive copy, it will probably appear to have frozen, but it very likely hasn't, and you just have to wait until it has finished.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #565
lmbebo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 7
Thanks for the extensive reply. I should get my new HD tomorrow.
lmbebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 09:14 AM   #566
Darr247
Registered User
 
Darr247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post
I wish I would have bought more of those drives, now. :-|
Not shilling for newegg (or Western Digital), but they have the WD20EURS on sale again.
Not as cheap as last time, but still $70 less than the cheapest S3-imaged 2TB drive I see on ebay.
Darr247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 06:23 PM   #567
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darr247 View Post
Not shilling for newegg (or Western Digital), but they have the WD20EURS on sale again.
Not as cheap as last time, but still $70 less than the cheapest S3-imaged 2TB drive I see on ebay.
One thing, that's the OEM version.

Exactly the same physically and all that, but designed to be sold to OEMs who are building systems or something into which the drive will go, and who will be responsible for the warranty, if I'm not mistaken, and you might wind up with newegg and WD referring you back to each other over and over again and no one actually standing behind the warranty.

If you think about it, in the case of buying one of these and putting it in your TiVo, you are the OEM.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 06:27 PM   #568
dfouts74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Problem restoring image S3 Image

Hi All -

First time poster, but have used this thread and others on the board to troubleshoot in the past so I wanted to first say thanks for all the help.

I have previously used the images provided in the image thread to restore a series 3 tivo harddrive (thermometer style) using mfslive cd and everything worked out OK. A friend has a series 3 hd (652160) that has a failing harddrive and I attempted to do the same but had no luck. Hoping someone who has seen these problems in the past can point me in the right direction.

Attempting to restore Series 3 HD with MFSLive:
After I execute the command to restore the drive with expanded size, part way through the copying I receive the error "restore: /dev/sdb113: no such file or directory."

I have tried reformatting the drive, starting over, using a different computer, nothing seems to work. Tried to restore to original size, same problem.

Attempting to restore Series 3 HD with WinMFS:
I was able to borrow a friends windows 7 computer and figured I'd use winmfs to restore using the .tbk file found in /tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=388695

When using winmfs as admin, I can navigate and select the drivethe drive and once I hit restore the program sits and the partition being copy notice says "processing".


Am I out of options?
dfouts74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #569
unitron
Registered User
 
unitron's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: semi-coastal NC
Posts: 12,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfouts74 View Post
Hi All -

First time poster, but have used this thread and others on the board to troubleshoot in the past so I wanted to first say thanks for all the help.

I have previously used the images provided in the image thread to restore a series 3 tivo harddrive (thermometer style) using mfslive cd and everything worked out OK. A friend has a series 3 hd (652160) that has a failing harddrive and I attempted to do the same but had no luck. Hoping someone who has seen these problems in the past can point me in the right direction.

Attempting to restore Series 3 HD with MFSLive:
After I execute the command to restore the drive with expanded size, part way through the copying I receive the error "restore: /dev/sdb113: no such file or directory."

I have tried reformatting the drive, starting over, using a different computer, nothing seems to work. Tried to restore to original size, same problem.

Attempting to restore Series 3 HD with WinMFS:
I was able to borrow a friends windows 7 computer and figured I'd use winmfs to restore using the .tbk file found in /tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=388695

When using winmfs as admin, I can navigate and select the drivethe drive and once I hit restore the program sits and the partition being copy notice says "processing".


Am I out of options?
With either program, restore without expanding.

In MFS Live, this means do not use the -x option.

You can skip z as well, just use -pi

Then use

mfsinfo

either on the command line or clicking it in WinMFS to make sure everything looks okay, and if using the command line also run

pdisk -l

Then do the expansion as a separate step.

In both cases the command is

mfsadd



These should be version 11.0k, which is new enough to let you use a 2TB drive in a 652

For use with the MFS Live cd v1.4:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.bak


For use with WinMFS:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...0/652_gset.tbk


When you restore with WinMFS it sits there and looks like it's not doing anything for a while.

Just let it run.

Eventually it will finish, at which point it says you have extra space, do you want to expand, and you tell it no.

Then after looking at it with

mfsinfo

you expand as a separate step, although it wouldn't hurt to test it in the TiVo first and then bring it back to the PC to expand.

Since the image is from a 652 with a different TiVo Service Number, you may or may not have to do a Clear & Delete Everything and force a few connections to the TiVo, Inc. servers, and reboot the TiVo a time or 3 before it gets itself straightened out.
__________________
(thisismysigfile)


"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:04 PM   #570
dfouts74
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Thanks for the quick reply Unitron!

I downloaded the image from your dropbox and threw it on a flash drive. With the hard drive attached in an external enclosure, I ran the following in msflive:

1. fdisk -l
/dev/sdb1 = flash drive with .bak file
/dev/sdc1 = 1 TB Harddrive for TiVo

2. mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /dos
3. restore -s 128 -pi /dos/652_gset.bak /dev/sdc1

At this point it starts restore and begins. Unfortunately it returned an error again with only 36% remaining:
Restore: Input/output error restoring MFS data.
Restore: /dev/sdc113: No such file or directory.

As for WinMFS, I left the computer on all night and all day while I was at work and it still said "processing", so I cancelled it last night and tried again - same thing. Should I be waiting more than 24 hours?
dfouts74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVoŽ is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |