TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-23-2010, 09:34 AM   #7081
cmaquilino16

Cool Card up and Working

Well I got my cable card up and working, As some know I got my CC by picking it up at comcast office well I worked with the comcast rep to get the card working myself well I could not I had to get a tech to come to the house. When he got there he did the same thing I did and could not get it to work so he got to a supervisor who knew how, What the super found out the I needed the digital package to make the card work on the tivo they did that and it worked. So I did a new tivo channel line up I see that I got a few channels that have no program info like FXHD BravoHD SpikeHD and a few other channels, are these new HD channels that comcast added? This is atlanta comcast.

Later
cmaquilino16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:54 AM   #7082
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaquilino16 View Post
So I did a new tivo channel line up I see that I got a few channels that have no program info like FXHD BravoHD SpikeHD and a few other channels, are these new HD channels that comcast added? This is atlanta comcast.
Yeah, those channels are part of the Comcast "World of More" lineup, and Comcast Atlanta is still rolling that out. Make sure that this is the channel lineup (vs. just "Comcast") you have selected in the TiVo.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:00 AM   #7083
cmaquilino16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
Yeah, those channels are part of the Comcast "World of More" lineup, and Comcast Atlanta is still rolling that out. Make sure that this is the channel lineup (vs. just "Comcast") you have selected in the TiVo.
I downloaded the comcast line up is there a world of more lineup to check in the set up , So do you have info on the hd channels I listed?
Old 01-23-2010, 11:13 AM   #7084
cjv2

Quote:
I downloaded the comcast line up is there a world of more lineup to check in the set up , So do you have info on the hd channels I listed?
There is a World of More lineup to check in the setup. It is labeled "Comcast Atlanta World of More." It should be pretty straightforward when you see it.

I do not have the World of More lineup in my area yet - Comcast Atlanta is still rolling it out. So I am running with the guide info that you have already seen. However, I know for a fact that all three of the channels you mentioned are in World of More, but not part of the non-World-of-More "Comcast" channel lineup in the Tivo.

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-23-2010 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Corrected lineup description/label
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 11:17 AM   #7085
cmaquilino16

Thanks I will look for it . So I got to go though the whole tivo lineup set up the 30 min set or is there a short cut to get the new lineup.

Thanks
Old 01-23-2010, 11:19 AM   #7086
cjv2

Quote:
Thanks I will look for it . So I got to go though the whole tivo lineup set up the 30 min set or is there a short cut to get the new lineup.

Thanks
From Tivo Central go to:

Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Channels -> Channel List.

Then hit the Enter key on the remote (bottom right).

This will take you to the Change Channel Lineup screen, hit Thumbs Down three times, then Enter.

This will take you to the Wrong Channels screen. Select Cable channels, follow the prompts from there.

It will be repeating part of Guided Setup, yes, but not the whole thing.

EDIT: Yeah, still takes about 30 mins. Does the download program info bit all over again.

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-23-2010 at 11:47 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #7087
TypicalMe

Hi, whew. I've been reading the last year of this thread. I see one Memphis area experience that wasn't great, but turned out ok. I am pretty nervous about our upcoming appt with Comcast. We're about to jump into HD with a new TV and TiVo HD XL.

1. I made a Cablecard appt, then called back to request M-card be put on the work order. Fingers crossed. Should I ask for multiples? It seems like the problems are not with cards themselves but data entry.

2. When can the technician leave? I don't want him running out the door and I'm left with half the channels - we subscribe to Digital Starter btw, in SD. I guess I'm asking- how bad can he screw it up that can't be fixed over the phone once I get the card?

3. HD. All new to us. I've read all the stories about varying charges, etc. Looking at our local lineup, just network HD may be fine for us. Are these OTA? It appears they charge $7.95 for HD tier, but if that is equipment rental... well you know- I plan to give the set-top to the tech in exchange for Cablecard.

4. Cablecard charge- I intend to push the "first one free" since we do subscribe to Digital Starter. However this might get messy when I also ask to take off the set-top box rental charge. Ugh.

There are way too many ways for this to go wrong! The main issue- as with everyone I'm sure- is only one truck-roll. I can't take off work multiple days to sit and wait for CC. I am hoping once I get the card, any issues can be resolved via phone with TiVo or emailing ComcastCares.
TypicalMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 02:56 PM   #7088
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypicalMe View Post
Hi, whew. I've been reading the last year of this thread. I see one Memphis area experience that wasn't great, but turned out ok. I am pretty nervous about our upcoming appt with Comcast. We're about to jump into HD with a new TV and TiVo HD XL.

1. I made a Cablecard appt, then called back to request M-card be put on the work order. Fingers crossed. Should I ask for multiples? It seems like the problems are not with cards themselves but data entry.

2. When can the technician leave? I don't want him running out the door and I'm left with half the channels - we subscribe to Digital Starter btw, in SD. I guess I'm asking- how bad can he screw it up that can't be fixed over the phone once I get the card?

3. HD. All new to us. I've read all the stories about varying charges, etc. Looking at our local lineup, just network HD may be fine for us. Are these OTA? It appears they charge $7.95 for HD tier, but if that is equipment rental... well you know- I plan to give the set-top to the tech in exchange for Cablecard.

4. Cablecard charge- I intend to push the "first one free" since we do subscribe to Digital Starter. However this might get messy when I also ask to take off the set-top box rental charge. Ugh.

There are way too many ways for this to go wrong! The main issue- as with everyone I'm sure- is only one truck-roll. I can't take off work multiple days to sit and wait for CC. I am hoping once I get the card, any issues can be resolved via phone with TiVo or emailing ComcastCares.
1. I don't think requesting that multiple M-cards be brought is going to get you far, as you're basically saying, "hey, I hear you guys might bring me bum equipment, so bring 2 or 3 just in case." I mean, technically, it can't hurt to ask, but I'd just as soon leave it to them. And yeah, most of the issues are data entry and such.

2. Do not let the technician leave until you have confirmed that you can see (1) premium channels you're paying for (2) channels such as Encore that aren't technically "premium" but may be unique to your package vs. a lower tier (3) Plain 'ol non-premium HD channels (4) something, uh, "regular."

3. Dunno. This stuff seems to vary by area. If you have or can get a hold of a rate card that breaks everything down it would be helpful to you. Maybe someone here from your area has one they can scan, that's how I got mine for my area. I have yet to figure out how to find such info buried in the Comcast website.

4. Easy answer. 2 phone calls so you don't have to fight the same person. Trust me, they don't talk to each other at Comcast. Well, not much, anyway.

The biggest thing you need to be concerned with is arguably item #2.

This article at Tivo may be worth a read-through.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2010, 04:42 PM   #7089
Kevin R

Switching from Knology Analog and OTA to Comcast....

Going to HD, and due to available content, I am moving from Knology and OTA for local HD to Comcast with cablecards and their $99 triple play with HD.
Is there anything special I should do regarding the guide data or season passes etc.
Should I try to download the Comcast channel mapping before the installer shows up, or just leave the Knology and OTA info until after the cablecards are set up?

I've had the Tivo HD for over a year, but am new to the whole cable card issues. Am hoping that everything goes smoothly.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Kevin
Knoxville, Tn
Kevin R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #7090
rfrankl

I had a Comcast tech come out and install a M card. Guy was great and install went quick and flawless.

Palm Beach Gardens, FL
rfrankl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 10:52 PM   #7091
Guipo

Nothing but problems

So I called comcast to come and install one M card, and they came out and installed two S cards. One was working on all the HD channels, and one was working on just local HD channels. Comcast informed me that they would be charging a additional 7 dollars for the second S card. So asked that they come back and install the M card that I asked for the first time. So they finally came back(after 2 tries) with a M card. Its installed, but I'm only getting local HD channels, and every time I change channels that are non HD, but beyond local programming, it pops up the Cable card menu telling me to call comcast to program my card.

So I've called comcast, and they want to send a FOURTH tech out. I'm just freaking really upset at this point, and just want my tivo to work. The last tech told me that without a HD package I would only get the local HD channels, but I was getting them before with the S cards.

There is no V in the validation fields, if that helps..

Any suggestions. Can I call Tivo to get help? What do I do at this point, as I have no hope in Comcast.

Guipo
Manteca, CA
Guipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #7092
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipo View Post
There is no V in the validation fields, if that helps..

Any suggestions. Can I call Tivo to get help? What do I do at this point, as I have no hope in Comcast.

Guipo
Manteca, CA
Tivo: 866-986-8486.

Your card doesn't sound like it's properly paired. Let Comcast babble on about having to buy additional stuff all they want, but don't let them add anything to your account until the card is properly paired.

If you get a firm understanding of the technical issues out of your discussions with Tivo, follow up on the Comcast side by sending a detailed and well-crafted email to We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com. Include all the information you need to point the recipient of the email to your account, and include the various values from the Tivo CableCard Pairing screen so that the person who gets your email can put them into the system the *right* way.
Old 01-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #7093
timstack8969

Any problems with Cable Cards install in Mount Laurel, NJ (SA area)? Thinking about getting the TIVO HD in March. This SARA guide SUCKS!
timstack8969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #7094
ghuido

I just got a Channel Update with a Ton of Channels on the 8xx Level. is this the World of More Lineup? SDV? or did TIVO Jump the gun on the progrma change since the offical Comcast Lineup on the Comcast Website does not show these 8xx level Channels.
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #7095
ghuido

I forgot to say the 8xx level channels are not showing anything but I got programming data for it.
Old 01-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #7096
cjv2

My guess is that it's the World of More lineup. Where are you located?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #7097
ghuido

Philadelphia Area .... We just did the All Digital Transition / Comcast Project Cavalry 2 weeks ago ... i just ordered two DTA to bring back some life to my old Series 1 and Series 2 ...
Old 01-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #7098
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghuido View Post
Philadelphia Area .... We just did the All Digital Transition / Comcast Project Cavalry 2 weeks ago ... i just ordered two DTA to bring back some life to my old Series 1 and Series 2 ...
Well, I don't have any access to Philly-specific info, but down here in Atlanta, the "All Digital Transition" and the move to World of More are one and the same. I would be surprised if it's any different in your space.

However, they're doing Atlanta in phases, so rather than having the Comcast lineup in the Tivo get revamped all at once, there are actually different Comcast lineups that can be chosen in the Tivo to reflect the "old" way or the "new" way. Sounds like up in your area, they went for the gold instead...

My area is supposedly being "All Digital Converted" tomorrow, so we shall see. If the conversion actually happens, I will have to change the lineup on my Tivo.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM   #7099
cmaquilino16

Smile

I had to redo my lineup to get all the 800 hundred channels to show info on them you have to select World of More lineup, not comcast or you will not get the info on some channels. CJV2 help on this one thanks. It takes about 35 mintues to download new guide. Good Luck.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #7100
alexsquared

Had comcast cc installed on sat with limited basic package. It was free for the card with a $15.99 install fee. The tech mentioned though, that ll techs have been warned to be ready for calls because comcast intends to scramble (encrypt) the local hd channels! Anyone else hear this?
alexsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 07:33 PM   #7101
maharg18

Ok, I have an apparently stupid question. I'm trying to re-run guided setup to select our new digital /WOM lineup. Whatever I do I can't get it to give me a list of lineups, it keeps taking me through a process of asking what networks are on what channels. I just want a list of cable lineups to select from!
Old 01-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #7102
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maharg18 View Post
Ok, I have an apparently stupid question. I'm trying to re-run guided setup to select our new digital /WOM lineup. Whatever I do I can't get it to give me a list of lineups, it keeps taking me through a process of asking what networks are on what channels. I just want a list of cable lineups to select from!
I may be mistaken about this, but I think it has remembered your zip code. If you try selecting another zip code and then go back and reselect your zip code, you will get a new listting. "I THINK."
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:07 PM   #7103
cJames

Quote:
...I got my CC by picking it up at comcast office...
How were you able to pick up a CC? I'm in Atlanta also and my second TiVo HD will arrive today via Amazon.

Having gone through the CC install on my first TiVo HD, I know more about installing CC's than the techs and would love to just pick them up at a Comcast office and do it myself.

I just checked Comcast.com and they're still saying I need an tech to come out and install CC's.

How were you able to get them to allow you to pick the CC's up at the office?
cJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 01:12 PM   #7104
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cJames View Post
How were you able to pick up a CC? I'm in Atlanta also and my second TiVo HD will arrive today via Amazon.

Having gone through the CC install on my first TiVo HD, I know more about installing CC's than the techs and would love to just pick them up at a Comcast office and do it myself.

I just checked Comcast.com and they're still saying I need an tech to come out and install CC's.

cmaquilino16 still had to have a tech come out to deal with (pair, I presume) the card, ultimately. It's in one of his posts on this page. Best as I can tell, here in Atlanta, nobody on the telephone front lines is able to enter pairing data on your behalf - except maybe supervisors - and good luck getting a supervisor in the first place, much less one who will understand what to do with the information.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #7105
cmaquilino16

Quote:
Originally Posted by cJames View Post

Hello James,
I went to the chamblee office walked in ask for a card,But I could not do it myself had a tech come out, The only good thing out of it I did not have to pay a tech service fee because I had the card, they sent out tech for cc trouble for free.All working just make sure you select world of more channel guide and not comcast or you will not get info on some of the hd channels.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:49 PM   #7106
cjv2

Quote:
All working just make sure you select world of more channel guide and not comcast or you will not get info on some of the hd channels.
FYI, World of More is not deployed everywhere in the Atlanta metro area yet. I am on the South Cobb headend and it is not yet up and running here. There are other parts of Atlanta that report similarly. There is lots of discussion of what is going to come up when, and whether Comcast will even make their own deadlines. Check out the Atlanta, GA Comcast HD thread in the AVS Forum for current chatter on this.

Channel 843 (FXHD) is one of many that is under "Comcast World Of More Atlanta" but is not under "Comcast" when identifying the cable provider to the Tivo. There are others. But the upshot is that if your area doesn't have World of More yet, the only thing that choosing that lineup is going to get you is guide data and an otherwise blank screen when you tune the not-there-yet channels.

EDIT: Comcast finally added World of More to my headend today (South Cobb). Woo hoo! Still, there are parts of ATL that haven't been done yet.

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-26-2010 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-27-2010, 12:49 AM   #7107
glynek

Using The Series 3 Without a TIVO Subscription or Cable Card

I am interested in purchasing a TIVO HD DVR to use a set top box connected to a cable outlet. I am a Comcast Digital Starter subscriber with one Comcast DVR, one standard digital converter box and one HDTV directly connected to the cable line. I would like to use the TIVO box on the HDTV connected directly to the cable line. I do not need the full offering that Digital Starter provides. I just want to be able to receive and record the Extended Basic lineup with local HD stations.

I’m confused after reading the comments on many of the forums dealing with these issues. I would like to get specific answers to the following questions preferably from those who own the TIVO HD DVR and have it connect to a cable provider.

1. Does it have a QAM tuner; i.e. can it receive digital channels (SD & HD) from the cable provider without a cable card?

2. Can it act as a set top box connected to the cable system to receive their basic cable offering without a cable card?

3. Will it work without a TIVO subscription?

4. Will it always record programs without a TIVO subscription by manually setting the date, time and channel of the program to be recorded?

5. Can it access services like Netflix without a TIVO subscription?
glynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 05:12 AM   #7108
bicker
Gruff

1. Limited - You can manually tune them in, but that's about it. No program guide data mapping. That comes from the CableCARD.
2. Limited - You can manually tune them in, but that's about it. No program guide data mapping. That comes from the CableCARD.
3. Limited - You can playback previously recorded material, but that's it. No new recording; no broadband features; etc.
4. Never
5. Never

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:04 AM   #7109
schwinn

glynek - bicker's got you covered.

Your alternative is to use OTA-antenna for your digital/HD, in which case you don't need cable at all. Of course, you will lose cable TV completely in the process.

Most cable companies are going towards digital encrypted cable-channels anyway, so aside from broadcast, in the "future" you won't get any cable-TV channels anyway, making cable+TivoHD without cablecards pretty pointless.

So, you can either get OTA with the TivoHD, or get cablecards+cable with it...

For now, you may get analog, of course... I don't know whether Atlanta has switched over yet (search around for more detail on that...)
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 08:57 AM   #7110
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
For now, you may get analog, of course... I don't know whether Atlanta has switched over yet (search around for more detail on that...)
Some of Atlanta has switched, some of Atlanta has not. It's a mixed bag. This thread on the AVS Forum is a good place to ask about specific areas in the ATL metro area.