TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #1201
Alleyman

Well, the pixelization wouldn't bother me as much as the tuning adapter doing the 8 flashing and locking up so you can't change the channels, as I have read some people having issues with. Are these issues not a factor anymore? I have to admit, I have read through almost all 40 pages of this thread so I may be working on out of date information.
Alleyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #1202
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
Well, the pixelization wouldn't bother me as much as the tuning adapter doing the 8 flashing and locking up so you can't change the channels, as I have read some people having issues with. Are these issues not a factor anymore? I have to admit, I have read through almost all 40 pages of this thread so I may be working on out of date information.
The 8 flash issue has happened to me once since Feburary. All three of my TA's caught that 'virus'. The most common issue with the TA is lost recordings due to a 'tuning failure'... where TiVo does not tune properly. The recording history entry will say something like 'couldnt record because the video signal was missing'. I see that once about every two weeks. The good news is that since the show never made it into the Now Playing List, the next showing should be recorded.

The pixelation problem on SDV channels is being worked on.. cross your fingers.
SCSIRAID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:54 PM   #1203
Alleyman

Sorry for the delay in replying, I've been sick this past weekend.

As for the TA not tuning in the channels, this is only on the SDV channels (Local HD, etc) correct? Or is this on the Local non-SDV channels as well? Also, how does one correct the TA not tuning the channel issue?
Old 01-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #1204
Shmooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alleyman View Post
As for the TA not tuning in the channels, this is only on the SDV channels (Local HD, etc) correct? Or is this on the Local non-SDV channels as well? Also, how does one correct the TA not tuning the channel issue?
Correct - only the SDV channels have problems recording. Your other channels will record with no issues whatsoever (or they should, at least - nobody else seems to have problems with it).

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the "TA not tuning the channel issue", but assuming you mean just not finding an SDV channel ('channel not available') and not the 8-blink or other problem... It often helps to just force the Tivo to change channels on both tuners. I.e., do something like this: Channel Up, Channel Up, Live TV, Channel Up, Channel Up
Shmooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #1205
Alleyman

Yes that's what I was talking about the "channel not available" message. As far as the 8 blink issue, SCSIRAID said he hasn't had that problem since Feb, so I'm thinking they must've gotten that problem resolved.

Just a little "worried" about changing since the Broadcast HD for the Raleigh area (5-1, 11-1, 17-1, etc) are working ok, and I'd hate to loose channels because of the TA.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:32 AM   #1206
Train_and_TV_fan

Freeze up during play back

How can I tell if a recording problem is with my TiVo HD, Time Warner of Raleigh, or the Tuning Adaptor.

Tuesday, January 19 the TiVo recorded the Bourne Ultimatum on USAHD, channel 258 from 7:30 pm to 10:10. The whole program appeared to be recorded but the playback goes to pause at 19 minutes. Pressing Play has no effect. Pressing Fast-Forward jumps to 1:25 and everything works as expected from there on. I have not been able to access the section from 19 to 1:25.

Other shows recorded normally during that period and since. Nothing on the second tuner started or stopped at the 19 minute spot.

Any suggestions on what may have caused this freeze up would be appreciated.
Train_and_TV_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 09:29 PM   #1207
Max Camber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSIRAID View Post
The pixelation problem on SDV channels is being worked on.. cross your fingers.
By TiVo? I'm still getting the runaround from level 1 support about it being a signal strength issue.
Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:22 AM   #1208
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Camber View Post
By TiVo? I'm still getting the runaround from level 1 support about it being a signal strength issue.
It is not a signal strength issue. Im engaged with TWC and they tell me that TiVo is fully engaged and working the issue. I have no confirmation of that (which isnt surprising) but I do trust my TWC contact. TWC has proven beyond any doubt that it is related to programs being added or removed from the SDV Transport stream. I actively participated in the experiment that proved it which was conducted on my TiVo in my family room. TWC has given TiVo the 'smoking gun.'

About all we can do is sit back and wait for TiVo. Calling TiVo Customer Service is unlikely to do any good and just ends up costing TiVo money which we ultimately get to pay in the cost of TiVo Service. You will probably just keep getting 'its a signal quality/strength issue' anyway. Its time for a 'leap of faith'. Optimistic devil, aren't I.
Old 01-22-2010, 08:21 AM   #1209
convergent

Quote:
About all we can do is sit back and wait for TiVo. Calling TiVo Customer Service is unlikely to do any good and just ends up costing TiVo money which we ultimately get to pay in the cost of TiVo Service. You will probably just keep getting 'its a signal quality/strength issue' anyway. Its time for a 'leap of faith'. Optimistic devil, aren't I.
That's unfortunate. A smoking gun doesn't seem to get things done quickly with Tivo. I am still awaiting them to respond to the fact that 100% of their Tivo HD XLs have a reboot problem, which someone on the forum has troubleshot and solved, and yet they still don't even acknowledge that there is a problem. This problem with SDV is about 10 orders of magnitude more complex than that, and only affects a subset of Tivo users. TWC is moving more and more to SDV which makes this problem a bigger and bigger issue for anyone using a non-TWC DVR. It is so frustrating. TWC seems committed to having the crappiest DVR on the planet, and yet making life miserable for anyone wanting to have something better. I don't get it. Its like they want their customers to be miserable and then happily pay them outrageous prices for it.
2 x Tivo Series 2 Dual Tuner
convergent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:00 AM   #1210
Max Camber

Quote:
It is not a signal strength issue.
We know that, but I spent an hour arguing about it with level 1 phone support last time I called in. I don't find it acceptable that they are still having people pay for RMA service and repeated truck rolls when neither of those is going to fix the issue.

Quote:
Im engaged with TWC and they tell me that TiVo is fully engaged and working the issue. I have no confirmation of that (which isnt surprising) but I do trust my TWC contact.
Having anyone report that TiVo is actually working on it is good news as far as I am concerned.

Quote:
About all we can do is sit back and wait for TiVo. Calling TiVo Customer Service is unlikely to do any good and just ends up costing TiVo money which we ultimately get to pay in the cost of TiVo Service. You will probably just keep getting 'its a signal quality/strength issue' anyway.
I would have stopped calling them months ago if someone had just said "Yes, we know it's not a signal strength issue and we're working on it."
Max Camber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #1211
SCSIRAID

Yup... A lot of angst and money could be saved if TiVo would 'own up' to it on the helpdesk. However, to be fair, they may have just realized the cause when TWC handed them the smoking gun. They could have been dismissing what they were getting as signal issues. TWC even thought it was signal quality for a looon time. If I hadnt persisted that is probably where we still would be parked.

I wouldnt be surprised if TWC actually started telling people about it and stopping the truck rolls on macroblocking issues. Its costing them money too.
Old 01-22-2010, 09:15 AM   #1212
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Camber View Post
Having anyone report that TiVo is actually working on it is good news as far as I am concerned."
Just to be 100% accurate... TWC says TiVo is working on it... I wish I could confirm that its true but I trust my source. Its that 'leap of faith' thing....
Old 01-22-2010, 09:22 AM   #1213
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
It is not a signal strength issue. Im engaged with TWC and they tell me that TiVo is fully engaged and working the issue. I have no confirmation of that (which isnt surprising) but I do trust my TWC contact. TWC has proven beyond any doubt that it is related to programs being added or removed from the SDV Transport stream. I actively participated in the experiment that proved it which was conducted on my TiVo in my family room. TWC has given TiVo the 'smoking gun.'

About all we can do is sit back and wait for TiVo.
I'm not following your reasoning here, perhaps because I'm missing something (though I've been reading your posts with great attention; thanks very much for both the investigating and the reports!) Why are you concluding it is TiVo that is supposed to be fixing this?

My reading of the situation is that there is a glitch in the signals of all the SDV programs when a program is added or removed from the transport stream. This glitch is introduced by some small, but significant, percentage of head stream hardware - it's not something that happens with all SDV head end hardware. The TW DVR signal processor is not affected by glitches of this sort, but the TiVo signal processor is, causing TiVo pixelation.

Why is it TiVo that has to fix this, as opposed to TW fixing the particular head-end hardware/software that is causing the glitch? Am I missing a step?
Old 01-22-2010, 11:12 AM   #1214
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
I'm not following your reasoning here, perhaps because I'm missing something (though I've been reading your posts with great attention; thanks very much for both the investigating and the reports!) Why are you concluding it is TiVo that is supposed to be fixing this?

My reading of the situation is that there is a glitch in the signals of all the SDV programs when a program is added or removed from the transport stream. This glitch is introduced by some small, but significant, percentage of head stream hardware - it's not something that happens with all SDV head end hardware. The TW DVR signal processor is not affected by glitches of this sort, but the TiVo signal processor is, causing TiVo pixelation.

Why is it TiVo that has to fix this, as opposed to TW fixing the particular head-end hardware/software that is causing the glitch? Am I missing a step?
That was an earlier speculation... The Tektronix MPEG analyzer indicated that the stream was 100% legal. When TWC encryption (CA Encryption) was turned off (which disables CP Encryption - Cablecard to Host) the problem disappeared. Since HDC cableboxes and TiVo both are getting the very same MPEG and using the very same cablecard technology to decode it and only TiVo is glitching, that puts the problem squarely in TiVo's yard and points strongly at CP Encryption. I believe TiVo is throwing up when it sees the PAT change and is probably messing up the CP encryption key. TiVo has never had to deal with a 'dynamic' PAT until SDV arrived as linear channels are 'static' (ie PAT doesnt change).
Old 01-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #1215
jchas41

I REALLY hope this fix comes quickly. I am so frustrated with dealing with this SDV-pixelation issue up here in CNY. I ended up switching my plan from annual to monthly because I'm not sure I can deal with this if it continues for 3 or 4 more months.
Tivo customer service hasn't helped either. I called requesting a refund for the RMA that fixed absolutely nothing, of course, I was told that was "not possible". Really frustrating because aside from this problem, my wife and I absolutely love the thing.
jchas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 04:48 PM   #1216
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
That was an earlier speculation... The Tektronix MPEG analyzer indicated that the stream was 100% legal. When TWC encryption (CA Encryption) was turned off (which disables CP Encryption - Cablecard to Host) the problem disappeared. Since HDC cableboxes and TiVo both are getting the very same MPEG and using the very same cablecard technology to decode it and only TiVo is glitching, that puts the problem squarely in TiVo's yard and points strongly at CP Encryption. I believe TiVo is throwing up when it sees the PAT change and is probably messing up the CP encryption key. TiVo has never had to deal with a 'dynamic' PAT until SDV arrived as linear channels are 'static' (ie PAT doesnt change).
Whew! A glossary please?
CA ? CP? PAT?
TIA

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:11 PM   #1217
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Whew! A glossary please?
CA ? CP? PAT?
TIA
HAHA

CA = Conditional Availability - This is the cableco encryption. Cisco's is called Powerkey. Motorola's is called MediaCipher. This is the way the cableco protects its content.

CP = Copy Protection - This is the re-encryption used between the cablecard and the TiVo.

The encryption used by the cableco and the encryption between the cablecard and the TiVo are different and are managed differently. The cablecard is told by TiVo what program number is selected for viewing. The cablecard looks at the PAT and the PMT's and thus knows what PIDs are part of the program. If cablecard is authorized for that programs, it decrypts those PID's and leaves the other ones alone. After removing the CA protection, cablecard re-encrypts the program's PIDs using the CP encryption key and passes the whole stream to TiVo. TiVo also knows what PIDs are his by the PAT and PMT. He also knows the CP key and decrypts those PIDs... to make it even wilder... TiVo then reencrypts somewhere downstream with its own TSN info so you cant move HDD's around. That pert I dont know much about.

PAT - Program Association Table - This is PID (Packet ID) 0 in the mpeg stream. The PAT tells how many programs are in the mpeg transport stream and what the PID numbers are for the PMT for each one of the programs.

PMT - Program Map Table - This tells what substreams are part of the program.. i.e. video, audio1, audio2 etc...

PID - Packet ID - Each data packet in a transport stream has a Packet ID which tells what the packet is and to what program it belongs to. Packet ID 0 is special and is the PAT.

Whew... Did that help?

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 01-22-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #1218
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
HAHA

CA = Conditional Availability - This is the cableco encryption. Cisco's is called Powerkey. Motorola's is called MediaCipher. This is the way the cableco protects its content.

CP = Copy Protection - This is the re-encryption used between the cablecard and the TiVo.

The encryption used by the cableco and the encryption between the cablecard and the TiVo are different and are managed differently. The cablecard is told by TiVo what program number is selected for viewing. The cablecard looks at the PAT and the PMT's and thus knows what PIDs are part of the program. If cablecard is authorized for that programs, it decrypts those PID's and leaves the other ones alone. After removing the CA protection, cablecard re-encrypts the program's PIDs using the CP encryption key and passes the whole stream to TiVo. TiVo also knows what PIDs are his by the PAT and PMT. He also knows the CP key and decrypts those PIDs... to make it even wilder... TiVo then reencrypts somewhere downstream with its own TSN info so you cant move HDD's around. That pert I dont know much about.

PAT - Program Association Table - This is PID (Packet ID) 0 in the mpeg stream. The PAT tells how many programs are in the mpeg transport stream and what the PID numbers are for the PMT for each one of the programs.

PMT - Program Map Table - This tells what substreams are part of the program.. i.e. video, audio1, audio2 etc...

PID - Packet ID - Each data packet in a transport stream has a Packet ID which tells what the packet is and to what program it belongs to. Packet ID 0 is special and is the PAT.

Whew... Did that help?
Great! Thanks! It appears ridiculously complex on the surface, but knowing how quickly encryption/decryption can be done it isn't that bad I guess. I wonder if the fix will be just pure software algorithm or (software again) control of the chips. Hopefully it's not something intrinsic to the chips used.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:48 PM   #1219
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Great! Thanks! It appears ridiculously complex on the surface, but knowing how quickly encryption/decryption can be done it isn't that bad I guess. I wonder if the fix will be just pure software algorithm or (software again) control of the chips. Hopefully it's not something intrinsic to the chips used.
My opinion is that its purely sw. All the encryption works fine as you can see from linear channels. It appears that TiVo SW is just freaking when it sees the PAT change. However... its just my opinion... We will likely never know the 'truth'. All I want is the FIX!

As my wife says... dont tell me about the labor.. just show me the baby.
Old 01-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #1220
LockRob

not a signal strenth issue?

Quote:

I wish I had read this thread more religiously. I just finished talking to a Tivo customer service rep who told me to get an in-line signal strength booster.
LockRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #1221
BassAce

TA Reboots

Hi All,

I had my CableCard and TA installed in my new TiVo HD yesterday afternoon. Since then I've had 4-5 TA reboots causing loss of recordings in a couple instances. From what I've read in these threads, I was under the impression the reboot issue was fixed? I can confirm my Cisco TA firmware is version .1001. Can someone update me on this situation or suggest a course of action? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

Thanks so much!
BassAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #1222
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAce View Post
Hi All,

I had my CableCard and TA installed in my new TiVo HD yesterday afternoon. Since then I've had 4-5 TA reboots causing loss of recordings in a couple instances. From what I've read in these threads, I was under the impression the reboot issue was fixed? I can confirm my Cisco TA firmware is version .1001. Can someone update me on this situation or suggest a course of action? I'm in Raleigh, NC.

Thanks so much!
Hmmm... The reboot issue for me has been gone for a long time. I did have 2 of my 3 TA's hang in the last 2 days so there may be something going on. Have you gone into TA Diags and checked the three signal levels?
Old 01-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #1223
BassAce

Quote:
Hmmm... The reboot issue for me has been gone for a long time. I did have 2 of my 3 TA's hang in the last 2 days so there may be something going on. Have you gone into TA Diags and checked the three signal levels?
Thanks for the quick reply SCSIRAID! Levels as follows:

Tuner: -1 dBmV
FDC: -6 dBmV
RDC: 46 dBmV
Old 01-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #1224
SCSIRAID

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply SCSIRAID! Levels as follows:

Tuner: -1 dBmV
FDC: -6 dBmV
RDC: 46 dBmV
Those are about perfect. So exactly what symptom are you seeing? How do you know its a TA reboot? In the diags a couple pages from where you got the signal data is an entry for Last Reboot time... that will tell you with certainty if the TA rebooted.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:29 PM   #1225
BassAce

Quote:
Those are about perfect. So exactly what symptom are you seeing? How do you know its a TA reboot? In the diags a couple pages from where you got the signal data is an entry for Last Reboot time... that will tell you with certainty if the TA rebooted.
I'm getting the "TA Connected" dialogue about every 2 hours(?). Last boot was today at 12:57pm. That coincides with the last dialogue I got. Should I try to get connected with the TW CC desk?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:47 PM   #1226
SCSIRAID

Quote:
I'm getting the "TA Connected" dialogue about every 2 hours(?). Last boot was today at 12:57pm. That coincides with the last dialogue I got. Should I try to get connected with the TW CC desk?
Yup... that sounds like a reboot. However, it could also be a bad USB cable.... I would go into the TA diags next time you see it and see if the last reboot time was 'now' which will prove the point. If it is rebooting, time to call TWC. If its not... the try a different USB cable.

I breezed through and missed your statement that the reboot time did line up with the message.... Yes, I would call TWC.

Last edited by SCSIRAID : 01-28-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #1227
SCSIRAID

All three of my TA's have locked up and had to be rebooted since yesterday... Anybody else having TA issues? I wonder if TWC is making some TA changes?
Old 01-29-2010, 07:29 AM   #1228
macd2

I had to reboot my TA last night.
macd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:51 AM   #1229
dcstager
1st Gen Tivo Owner

Thanks for all the effort SCSIRAID. Very interesting information. Tivo would never have made any effort to fix the problem without user input like this.

So many calories are being burned by everyone to prevent copying anything off the Tivo. As a long-time user of every kind of video equipment since 3/4 U-Matic video tape I can say with certainty that I have no desire to get programming off the Tivo, I want to be able to easily put things onto it.

I've got boxes of video tapes from way back and I don't know why. You really don't re-watch stuff you save. Everything they are burning so many calories to prevent people from copying is readily available for free from multiple sources. Can they just optimize the Tivo Desktop so I can load things onto the Tivo and watch it via Tivo? Just go ahead and embed Tivomatics or advertising or what have you.

Tivo could be many steps ahead of the game as far as video on demand is concerned. It's already ahead of the curve with the Amazon, Netflix and Blockbuster integration. It would be easy to abandon cable and just get all programming via Internet and over the air.

Really Tivo and Time Warner, I'm not interested in storing away boxes of DVDs with my hoard of VHS tapes. I've learned my lesson. It's pointless to collect that crap.
dcstager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #1230
BassAce

Quote:
Yup... that sounds like a reboot. However, it could also be a bad USB cable.... I would go into the TA diags next time you see it and see if the last reboot time was 'now' which will prove the point. If it is rebooting, time to call TWC. If its not... the try a different USB cable.

I breezed through and missed your statement that the reboot time did line up with the message.... Yes, I would call TWC.
Well, I talked to the cablecard desk and they are rolling a truck to replace my TA this afternoon. Hopefully this will fix my problem.