scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
OH NO - the Anticipation is KILLING ALL OF US

Hurry Up Home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
Chewing fingernails...singing "Anticipation"...scaring small animals...trust that it will work!
Thanks a lot...I was calm before but now...

Old 01-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #392
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Holy crap on a cracker.

I have a working TivoHD!

I'm getting all of the channels that I'm supposed to, and the CA screen has the correct values for the VAL and AUTH fields. I've checked that screen so many times in the past 2 months and been disappointed, I'm not really sure what to do now that it's working. I'm getting a bit misty...

I guess I should backup an image of the drive before I go any further?
Old 01-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #393
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
I guess I should backup an image of the drive before I go any further?
Why unless you plan on Upgrading to a larger Drive.

3 Cheers for ScoterBoy and TiVo
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 AM   #394
richsadams

Quote:
Holy crap on a cracker.

I have a working TivoHD!
WOO HOO!!! LET THE CELEBRATING BEGIN!!

Honestly we really shouldn't have to break out the champagne when a TiVo runs normally, but you've been through soooo much! It's great to hear that things are good again.

Thanks for keeping us up to date. I'll put away the antacid now and sleep peacefully for the first time in...well...at least 24 hours!

Enjoy!
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 01:58 AM   #395
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Why unless you plan on Upgrading to a larger Drive.
Well I'm currently deciding on whether to use the 1TB Expander drive I already bought, or upgrade the internal drive.

In either case, I want to have a backup of the drive that has the settings for a working cable card.
Old 01-12-2010, 02:01 AM   #396
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
WOO HOO!!! LET THE CELEBRATING BEGIN!!
Thanks - I celebrated by setting up all of my season passes tonight (as many as I could anyway). I figured I should do that before I back up the drive so they'll be there if I ever have to use the backup.

I think I'm going to be expecting the worst for a while (out of habit)...
Old 01-12-2010, 02:53 AM   #397
richsadams

Quote:
Thanks - I celebrated by setting up all of my season passes tonight (as many as I could anyway). I figured I should do that before I back up the drive so they'll be there if I ever have to use the backup.

I think I'm going to be expecting the worst for a while (out of habit)...
I expect it'll take a little while before you can completely relax. If it were me I'd keep it stock for at least 30 days or so to be sure all is well. Can you return the My DVR Expander? There are so many reports of the 500GB models failing at 12 to 18 months. I don't know how the 1TB models will do, but if it were me I would just upgrade the internal hard drive. In fact, it were me and that's why I did. Twice.

If you want to keep your SP's current and all just sign up for Guru Guides or KidZone on the TiVo website. If they're ever lost TiVo will repopulate them on a new hard drive.

In any case you can always keep a truncated backup of your original hard drive by connecting it to a PC and running winMFS. (Same process as upgrading, but you'd stop at the backup step). That'll keep your cable card settings, etc. Everything you need to know (if you don't already) can be found by clicking on the link below my sig.

Happy TiVoing!
Old 01-12-2010, 08:32 AM   #398
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
I'm getting all of the channels that I'm supposed to, and the CA screen has the correct values for the VAL and AUTH fields.
What are the correct values again? Should they be the same no matter who your cable provider is? I believe this is the reason my Tivo is locking up about once a week. I'm not home to verify right now, but I believe I have Unknown or something for the validation value. Charter has sent every kind of hit they can and it seems their only response now is that they have to send someone out.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 08:53 AM   #399
drhankz

Quote:
Well I'm currently deciding on whether to use the 1TB Expander drive I already bought, or upgrade the internal drive.

In either case, I want to have a backup of the drive that has the settings for a working cable card.
My Two Cent Preference is the Internal Drive. At least that way - it
won't accidentally get disconnected and SCREW things up. I upgraded
my TiVo to 1 TB Internal. I saved the ORIGINAL TiVo Drive as my
Backup - like you - after the CableCard was UP & Running.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #400
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
What are the correct values again? Should they be the same no matter who your cable provider is? I believe this is the reason my Tivo is locking up about once a week. I'm not home to verify right now, but I believe I have Unknown or something for the validation value. Charter has sent every kind of hit they can and it seems their only response now is that they have to send someone out.
Val: (Validation) should show the letter V followed by something like "0x01", and Auth: (Authorization) should show "S". You should change the channel to one in the highest tier you subscribe to before bringing up the CA screen. I find that if I have it on a basic channel, it doesn't show anything past the Val: field.

That's how it worked for me, anyway.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #401
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Can you return the My DVR Expander?
Amazon has a 30 day return policy, so I don't think I can return it for a full refund. I have had an offer from someone here to buy it from me, so I may just do that.

Quote:
If you want to keep your SP's current and all just sign up for Guru Guides or KidZone on the TiVo website. If they're ever lost TiVo will repopulate them on a new hard drive.
Does my tivo have to be connected to the internet to use that? I haven't done that yet (currently using phone line). It's one of the things I was going to do after I got the tivo going.

Quote:
In any case you can always keep a truncated backup of your original hard drive by connecting it to a PC and running winMFS. (Same process as upgrading, but you'd stop at the backup step). That'll keep your cable card settings, etc. Everything you need to know (if you don't already) can be found by clicking on the link below my sig.
Yep - that's what I was going to do.

What's the latest info on whether the hard drive inside the Expander can be used as an internal upgrade drive? I'd have no problem with busting the Expander open and using that if I knew it would work. It would save me the hassle of selling/returning the Expander and buying another drive.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:48 AM   #402
richsadams

Quote:
Amazon has a 30 day return policy, so I don't think I can return it for a full refund. I have had an offer from someone here to buy it from me, so I may just do that.

Does my tivo have to be connected to the internet to use that? I haven't done that yet (currently using phone line). It's one of the things I was going to do after I got the tivo going.

Yep - that's what I was going to do.

What's the latest info on whether the hard drive inside the Expander can be used as an internal upgrade drive? I'd have no problem with busting the Expander open and using that if I knew it would work. It would save me the hassle of selling/returning the Expander and buying another drive.
Guru Guide/KidZone are associated with your account so I'm pretty sure you don't need broadband for either to work. I'm not sure what's inside the 1TB My DVR Expander. It's almost certainly a WD GP drive. Depending on when it was manufactured it may have the Intellipark "feature" which requires a little more work to get it to, well, work. (More on the fist post of the FAQ linked under my sig). The downside is that opening the case voids the warranty. A bare drive has a three-year warranty. (My DVR Expander only one). I'd take the person that wants it up on the offer.
Old 01-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #403
brettatk
If I Only Knew

Quote:
Val: (Validation) should show the letter V followed by something like "0x01", and Auth: (Authorization) should show "S". You should change the channel to one in the highest tier you subscribe to before bringing up the CA screen. I find that if I have it on a basic channel, it doesn't show anything past the Val: field.

That's how it worked for me, anyway.
Thanks, I'll doublecheck mine when I get home. I'm not sure I've ever tried with the highest tier, perhaps that was my only problem.
brettatk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:20 PM   #404
Cor

It's very easy to remember what and how much cards you need for your TIVO series 3.
If the slots are in the front you need only 1 M-Card.
If the slots are in the back you need 2 M-cards.
If you have to swap cards due to faulty cards or moving, make sure you unpair the cards with your provider in their system. Meaning the cards MAC address will be released from the TIVO host-ID. If you install a new card you need your host-ID and Cable Card-ID. In some cases you need only the Serial number. Make sure that the EMMs will be rebuild as well. something only the provider can do. in some cases a hard reboot from the TIVO is needed. i haven't seen this much but occasionally it happened. also if the card is inserted and it starts a download of SW do not interrupt this untill finished then you should see the CC-ID and HOST-ID popping up on your screen.
It won't take more then about 20-25 minutes including an SW update on the card to get all your services. don't believe when they tell you 8hours or other crap.
Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 09:04 AM   #405
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettatk View Post
Thanks, I'll doublecheck mine when I get home. I'm not sure I've ever tried with the highest tier, perhaps that was my only problem.
I should have also mentioned that the info I gave you is for Comcast and a Motorola M-card. Other cable providers and/or cable card brands may be different.
Old 01-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #406
Tsiehta

Well, after 1 month, 2 replacement HD XLs, multiple X multiple M- and S- cards, and a comcast rep spending 11 hours in my home (we're friends now), I can report a working Tivo.

Ended up working with 2 S cards. Interesting point, the comcast rep was working on another Tivo box locally, and said that one thing my outlet did not have on their end was a code telling it that a Tivo/or Tivo-like device was one it. Not sure what actually was the solution, just know it now works.

Now, to re input all my season passes, figure out hot to reconnect Netflix, and to return the Tivo box and get my refund.

Yay!
Tsiehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:19 AM   #407
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsiehta View Post
Well, after 1 month, 2 replacement HD XLs, multiple X multiple M- and S- cards, and a comcast rep spending 11 hours in my home (we're friends now), I can report a working Tivo.
Phew! Congrats and enjoy!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #408
c0chrane1971

I am confused.
c0chrane1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM   #409
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

No more so than the average CC install tech, or the frontline people that you call.

They do this on purpose because they don't want you using 3rd-party devices.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:12 AM   #410
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Can you return the My DVR Expander?
Quote:
Update: the potential buyer decided not to, so I was left with the decision whether to use the Expander or not.

On the one hand, I could sell it on eBay, buy a bare drive, and do an internal upgrade.

On the other hand, I could plug the Expander in and be done.

I plugged it in tonight. I'm hoping the 1TB unit will have a better track record than the 500GB unit did, and/or that mine will last at least a year. If and when it fails, I'll do an internal upgrade then.

Today, laziness won.
Old 01-20-2010, 02:25 AM   #411
richsadams

Quote:
On the other hand, I could plug the Expander in and be done.
Hey, I might have done the same thing...so it's obviously not a bad decision. AFAIK no one is complaining about the 1TB My DVR Expanders to date so no news is good news. Enjoy!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #412
pl1

Losing validation/pairing weekly

Does anyone know if this sounds like a cableCARD gone bad? (Meaning, I can get local channels, nothing much else.) Once a week or so, I lose the validation/pairing on my cableCARD. A warm or cold restart resets it and if I have Comcast send it a hit, I'm good for another week.

I thought maybe it was my original S3, but I replaced that with a new THD. Now the THD lost it's validation/pairing almost exactly 1 week after it was installed. To me, that DOES look like it's the cableCARD and I'm having Comcast come out with a new card this Saturday.

It just seems awfully weird to me that a cableCARD works for two+ years and then starts acting up. I have read that too many hits can cause the card to bad.
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #413
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
It just seems awfully weird to me that a cableCARD works for two+ years and then starts acting up. I have read that too many hits can cause the card to bad.
FUNNY you should ask that - the same thing just happened to me.

I have 5 DVRs with CableCards and TWO Comcast HD Boxes with
CableCards.

About 4 weeks ago - the (2) Comcast Boxes stopped working.
WHY?

I can tell you but can you KEEP a SECRET
Old 01-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #414
pl1

Quote:
FUNNY you should ask that - the same thing just happened to me.

I have 5 DVRs with CableCards and TWO Comcast HD Boxes with
CableCards.

About 4 weeks ago - the (2) Comcast Boxes stopped working.
WHY?

I can tell you but can you KEEP a SECRET
I'm guessing you returned the two Comcast boxes!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:44 PM   #415
drhankz

Quote:
I'm guessing you returned the two Comcast boxes!
No Way - Comcast came out and diagnosed the problem - THAT THEY CREATED.

It turns out they made some IMPROVEMENT in Signal Strength
in the Neighborhood. The Signal was TOO HOT for the CableCards.

We put in a 6db attenuator and all is well again.

Just for laughs - you might want to check your signal strength on TiVo.

If it is NOT PEGGED - then it is probably some pairing problem.
CableCards either work or don't work. Working partially is usually
a Database [aka Pairing problem].
Old 01-25-2010, 04:49 PM   #416
cjv2

Quote:
I have read that too many hits can cause the card to bad.
Only if you hit them without gloves on. You should always wear gloves when hitting the cards.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:00 PM   #417
pl1

Quote:
No Way - Comcast came out and diagnosed the problem - THAT THEY CREATED.

It turns out they made some IMPROVEMENT in Signal Strength
in the Neighborhood. The Signal was TOO HOT for the CableCards.

We put in a 6db attenuator and all is well again.

Just for laughs - you might want to check your signal strength on TiVo.

If it is NOT PEGGED - then it is probably some pairing problem.
CableCards either work or don't work. Working partially is usually
a Database [aka Pairing problem].
While I would totally agree with you there, as I said, they worked perfectly fine for two plus years.

When the tech came out Sunday, he swapped cards from the S3 to the THD, he called in the host and id, and he tested the signal strength.

This morning, when I call in, the CSR let me read off the host and data ID and they matched fine. And, as I say, a reboot is all that was needed to get the channels back.

I saw in a thread somewhere that there might be a time-out happening.

I will check the signal strength, to make sure it is not too strong.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM   #418
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
Only if you hit them without gloves on. You should always wear gloves when hitting the cards.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:04 PM   #419
drhankz

Quote:
I saw in a thread somewhere that there might be a time-out happening.

I will check the signal strength, to make sure it is not too strong.
The Crypto Keys do time-out - but since you got new keys on Sunday
they clearly should not have timed out yet.
Old 01-25-2010, 09:04 PM   #420
pl1

Quote:
The Crypto Keys do time-out - but since you got new keys on Sunday
they clearly should not have timed out yet.
Ok, this is getting real funky now!

Since I am suppoesd to get a new cableCARD this next Saturday, I decided to put my original 160g drive back in, figuring it would be identical for the pairing information.

But, when I installed the original 160g drive, the pairing failed.

When I put my upgraded 1T drive back in, the cableCARD is paired properly. I checked the data and host and they are identical for both hard drives. I don't get it.

When the cableCARD was first installed last week, it was installed with the 160g drive. I then pulled it and upgraded to a 1t drive. It worked fine upgrading the drive.

I don't understand at all what is going on here! Now I'm wondering if it's the upgrade procedure or the cableCARD. I'm very confused.

I think what I need to do is to concentrate on getting the 1t drive paired with the cableCARD and leave well enough alone. And be happy.

I used WinMFS, which is supposed to keep the cableCARD settings. I wonder if the hits that Comcast sent today affected the new drive pairing in some way?