TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2010, 11:38 AM   #7051
Guipo

Hd

Just had my cable card installed. Can I ask a really dumb question. Now that I have a cable card, does that mean I have HD, or do I need to pay for a HD package still with Comcast. I assumed that I would get the freebie HD like NBC HD, etc. Thanks!

Guipo
Guipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:39 AM   #7052
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipo View Post
Just had my cable card installed. Can I ask a really dumb question. Now that I have a cable card, does that mean I have HD, or do I need to pay for a HD package still with Comcast. I assumed that I would get the freebie HD like NBC HD, etc. Thanks!Guipo
You probably need at least Digital Starter. Do you have that?
pl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #7053
Guipo

Yes, but I just sent back my motorola digital box. Hope they dont downgrade my plan.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #7054
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guipo View Post
Yes, but I just sent back my motorola digital box. Hope they dont downgrade my plan.
Digital starter includes one cableCARD capable of decoding the digital and HD signal. You should actually see a reduction in your cable bill by turning in your STB.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #7055
Guipo

Nice. Thanks for your help. Will take a look when I get home.
Old 01-17-2010, 12:08 AM   #7056
Dactyl

Thumbs up Seattle Area - Install was relatively painless...

Simply wanted to let everyone know that getting my Series 3 HD up and running on Comcast was relatively painless. Using live chat, a service rep indicated that I could pick up a card at the local (Auburn, WA) office. Can't believe they can get away with having only 2 windows open. Ended up waiting 50 minutes in line. Once I got to the front, the rep was knowledgeable and efficient when I told her I just got a TiVo HD and needed a M-card. Only thing is that she indicated I'd be charged $1.60/mo for the card. I protested, saying the 1st card should be free. She politely and firmly indicated that I could get it free if I exchanged by digital box. Technically, I think I should be charged for an additional outlet fee if I'm keeping the box for my other TV, so, I guess I'm still getting a deal. With so many people in line right behind me, I didn't feel the need to make a scene. Anyway, I brought the card home, installed it according to the directions ( I had set up the machine 2 days earlier as instructed), called Comcast to activate it. After being told about the extended wait times, I opted to have them call me back later that night. They called exactly at the time I requested, I waited for about 10 seconds, and, bingo, the service rep came on the line, understood exactly what I needed, and within 2 or 3 minutes, I was enjoying my new TiVo HD Series 3 box and all of the cable chanels that I subscribe to. It's awesome!
Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:40 AM   #7057
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
<snip>I told her I just got a TiVo HD and needed a M-card. Only thing is that she indicated I'd be charged $1.60/mo for the card. I protested, saying the 1st card should be free. She politely and firmly indicated that I could get it free if I exchanged by digital box. Technically, I think I should be charged for an additional outlet fee if I'm keeping the box for my other TV, so, I guess I'm still getting a deal. <snip>
I have had instances where some CS reps have not mentioned the A/O fee only to find out when I received my bill. So, do not be surprised if you DO get charged an A/O fee. Until recently, I was always able to see any changes to my account right on-line the day after a change in service. You might still be able to see that information on your account. (Why I can no longer see this information is totally bewildering to me.)
Old 01-18-2010, 09:34 AM   #7058
pl1

Pleasant cableCARD experience from Comcast to report.

I have pleasant cableCARD experience from Comcast to report. I called on a Saturday morning to have my M-Card moved from an original S3 to a new THD. Of course, they would not help me over the phone, so I agreed to have them make an appointment. They scheduled me for Sunday morning 8-12. The tech showed up at 10:00 AM, looked at the screen, called in the host ID numbers and I was receiving my channel line up on both tuners immediately. Quite painless. Even the tech agrees that it is stupid that they still send technicians out for this since the customer usually knows mmore about their equipment than the technicians do. Like I explained, it took 10 years before they let customers pick up their own STBs, so I'm not totally surprised. Anyway, all went well. Fast and easy.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:25 AM   #7059
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl1 View Post
I have pleasant cableCARD experience from Comcast to report. I called on a Saturday morning to have my M-Card moved from an original S3 to a new THD. Of course, they would not help me over the phone, so I agreed to have them make an appointment. They scheduled me for Sunday morning 8-12. The tech showed up at 10:00 AM, looked at the screen, called in the host ID numbers and I was receiving my channel line up on both tuners immediately. Quite painless. Even the tech agrees that it is stupid that they still send technicians out for this since the customer usually knows mmore about their equipment than the technicians do. Like I explained, it took 10 years before they let customers pick up their own STBs, so I'm not totally surprised. Anyway, all went well. Fast and easy.
Comcast in MA and NH are GOOD
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #7060
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Comcast in MA and NH are GOOD
Not ALWAYS the case, I assure you. But MUCH better now that Verizon just rolled in to my town.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #7061
JonS

I can't wait for Verizon to roll out here. Anything that gives Comcast a bit of competition is helpful.
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:55 PM   #7062
bicker
Gruff

I didn't see any significant change in Comcast over the years, going back before competition from RCN, and then continuing for a year or two after they had competition from FiOS. It seems to me that the competition they had, from the start, from DirecTV and Dish Network, effected practically all the change that was ever forthcoming from competition in the marketplace.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:11 PM   #7063
beeman65

This is Comcast related, so I will post this here..

I have Comcast Basic Cable with a RNG HD box. I also receive OTA HD channels on my HD LCD TV. By the end of this year, my area will be all digital. I am thinking of getting a Tivo HD in the next couple months. What is the best course of action I should take? I am only interested in having Local HD channels. Do I need a CableCARD?

I last had a Tivo before the Series 3's were widespread, so I am reading up on all the changes and technology.

Thanks.
beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:20 PM   #7064
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman65 View Post
I am only interested in having Local HD channels. Do I need a CableCARD?
YMMV but for most people I believe that the answer is "Yes": The TiVo HD is, at best, frustrating to many, if you're using it to receive digital cable, regardless of the level of service.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:01 AM   #7065
schwinn

Quote:
I am only interested in having Local HD channels. Do I need a CableCARD?
As bicker stated above, yes, you should have cable-cards if you plan to stick with the cable-company's feed of HD channels. Simply put, this is because there is no way to remap the channels on the Tivo for the QAM-HD signals that you can get... so the Tivo's functionality will be lost without cable cards.

You mentioned OTA... but I'm not sure if you mean you are receiving OTA via antenna, or you're getting these channels via the cable feed (ie, QAM). The reason I mention this - you can get OTA on the TivoHD as well... in which case you wouldn't need cable cards.
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #7066
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
You mentioned OTA... but I'm not sure if you mean you are receiving OTA via antenna, or you're getting these channels via the cable feed (ie, QAM). The reason I mention this - you can get OTA on the TivoHD as well... in which case you wouldn't need cable cards.
... or need cable, for that matter.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #7067
beeman65

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
As bicker stated above, yes, you should have cable-cards if you plan to stick with the cable-company's feed of HD channels. Simply put, this is because there is no way to remap the channels on the Tivo for the QAM-HD signals that you can get... so the Tivo's functionality will be lost without cable cards.

I receive OTA channels via the cable feed. I do not have an antenna hooked up. If I cancel HD service with Comcast and turn in the RNG box, I assume the channels go away and I would need to get an antenna to get the local HD channels?
beeman65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:24 PM   #7068
drhankz

Quote:
If I cancel HD service with Comcast and turn in the RNG box, I assume the channels go away and I would need to get an antenna to get the local HD channels?
Yes Channels GO AWAY.

Yes you would need an Antenna.

I would try the Antenna Route to make sure you get
good Reception before Cancelling Comcast.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:19 PM   #7069
landshark21

Will the TiVo HD XL support Caller ID on Comcast?
Hughes SD DVR-40
Phillips DSR 7000
R10
landshark21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #7070
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark21 View Post
Will the TiVo HD XL support Caller ID on Comcast?
Nope, don't believe so.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #7071
joe_gjx

Cable card installed by Comcast, but no premium channels

Comcast installed an M-card in my Tivo HD last week. It receives all basic channels fine. The tech told me it would take a few hours before I would get the premium channels because their system was backed up with requests.

It's now about a week later, and still no premium channels. I called Comcast and they tried to wake up the card remotely, but no success. So they're sending out a tech tomorrow.

Is this common? Is the cause likely a bad card, incorrectly installed card, or just that Comcast doesn't know what they're doing?
joe_gjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #7072
pl1

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_gjx View Post
Comcast installed an M-card in my Tivo HD last week. It receives all basic channels fine. The tech told me it would take a few hours before I would get the premium channels because their system was backed up with requests.

It's now about a week later, and still no premium channels. I called Comcast and they tried to wake up the card remotely, but no success. So they're sending out a tech tomorrow.

Is this common? Is the cause likely a bad card, incorrectly installed card, or just that Comcast doesn't know what they're doing?
Sounds like it is not paired properly. The tech will come, call in and read off the numbers. Or, replace the card and blame it on the card.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:47 PM   #7073
cjv2

Quote:

The latter. Your card is probably not properly paired. Reading through this article from TiVo may help you understand it a little better.

When the tech gets there, DON'T LET HIM LEAVE UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS RESOLVED. Took me over 2 bloody years to get this straight because of that "it will come up in awhile, there is a system delay, I have to go, if it doesn't work call them back" routine.

Just thinking about it makes me mad. RARRR.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:56 PM   #7074
drhankz

Quote:
The tech told me it would take a few hours before I would get the premium channels because their system was backed up with requests.
If the Tech can't get the person on the phone to enter the pairing
info - then NO ONE has control of the situation. It only takes a few
minutes - LESS than 10 - Make the Tech get it done. Don't let him
leave until it is working, as OTHERS have also said.
Old 01-19-2010, 11:00 PM   #7075
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Here's what you do. Park your vehicle on the street. After the tech parks in your driveway, pull your vehicle in behind his. Don't move your vehicle until all your channels work.

Every time I'm drying off from a shower I think of my childhood buddy's father. - mcthumber
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 07:38 AM   #7076
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post
Here's what you do. Park your vehicle on the street. After the tech parks in your driveway, pull your vehicle in behind his. Don't move your vehicle until all your channels work.
That is a GOOD Hi-Tech Solution - Maybe TiVo should add that to their CableCard FAQ section
Old 01-20-2010, 01:40 PM   #7077
ChiTownMac

Receiver solves Tivo to Sony Bravia HDMI issue..

Quote:
Originally Posted by teenie1 View Post
Ooh...keep me posted! Hope it works.
Hi, back in december we discussed the issue with the Tivo and Sony TV issues. I said i was going to install it thru my onkyo receiver to see if it solves the issue.. and i'm happy to say.. YES!!! If the receiver is on and all goes thru it and then to TV, it works percectly.. but if I turn off receiver and it just passes thru it, the same issues happen. So the Tivo/Sony HDMI handshake has issues, but since i had already purchased the receiver, i'm fine having it go thru it anyways.

Hope this helps..
Alex
ChiTownMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:31 PM   #7078
gscaife

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
That seems strange,. They should be able to fix that in their system without sending someone out.

That is, if they can find their system.
Call 1-800-COMCAST (1-800-266-2278), 24 hrs. a day, 7 days a week. Choose the "Upgrade service" option (Option 3, I believe). I have spoken with 3 or 4 CSR's their and have had a very pleasant experience. Have the info from the MMI screens ready, tell the CSR you just installed a cable card in your DVR and you need them to activate it.

I have 2 TiVo HD DVR's with 2 Motorola single-stream cards in each. Never could get a multi-stream to work in either one (I just purchased BOTH of the S3HD direct from Tivo upgrading from S2's.)

I had issues with getting the first one to work with the multi-stream card (it would not allow me to access the 2 tuners, only one tuner worked). The CSR said she had experienced several issues with the Motorola multi-streams having the same issue so I should go pickup 2 single-stream cards. Did that, inserted 1 single stream card and called the number above. Within minutes I had HD!! I then inserted the second card and it configured automatically. Awesome.

So, I set up the 2nd Tivo and neither card presents me with an MMI screen. Guess I'll trek over to the local comcast office and get another 2 tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on my progress.

Last edited by gscaife : 01-21-2010 at 08:37 AM. Reason: TiVo HD, no Tivo Series 3 HD
gscaife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 08:43 AM   #7079
ghuido

I'm going to ask this question and please don't flame ... :-)

I saw a lot of post on SDV on a lot of other forums and tuner boxes. Are TIVO HD using Comcast M-Cards impacted by this? If there is a link someone can post to help me read up that would be great. Just wanted to see what impacts we could have on the Comcast side. Probably catching up to this a little late.

Sorry if this has been discussed before at length ...
ghuido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 10:12 AM   #7080
bicker
Gruff

All CableCARD host devices are affected by SDV.

This is the TCF SDV FAQ:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=357703