Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-18-2009, 09:01 PM   #511
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappicone View Post
This is a lie....The CD is not free. Man i have to spend more money on this machine to make it work!
Welcome to the forums!

The version discussed in this thread, is free. You may want to spend just a little more time here before accusing me of lying...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 09:33 AM   #512
scoombs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cappicone View Post
This is a lie....The CD is not free. Man i have to spend more money on this machine to make it work!
Which is appropriate for people who cannot locate the proper download.
scoombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #513
tidal

Thanks for the tools tivoupgrade!

I had a Philips hdr112 that had 2 40gb hard drives die. I popped in the original drive and got it updated to 3.0. Then I started looking at new drives and remember the 2 series 2 that I had that had 250gb drives in them.

thanks to your copykern my tivo has 654 hours!

i used the interactive tivo upgrade command and then the copykern. no problems!

smoothest upgrade ever.

woohoo!
tidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #514
Steve Palo

copykern problem

I'm upgrading some old Series 1 standalones to a single big drive
from a 3.0 HDR112 image that I've used before. I've done this previously
with MFStools 2.0 mfsrestore followed by copykern.

I just tried the LBA48 4.04 tools, and the
"RESTORE -x -s 300 -zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak.mfs /dev/hdc" command.
The restore seemed to go ok, but got a few errors on the COPYKERN:

"tpip -s -o /mnt/kernel.orig \
-k /cdrom/s1_kernels/kernel-3.0/vmlinux-3.0.px /dev/hdc
Are you ready?" y

/cdrom/s1_kernels/kernel-3.0/vmlinux-3.0.px.gz : No such file or directory
writing 1058304 bytes to '/mnt/kernel.orig'
tpip: unknown boot block signature: 0xdbldfac2
Kernel updated!

Any ideas what the problem is on the COPYKERN? Does it really look like
my CDrom is missing the appropriate kernel file?
Steve Palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 08:17 PM   #515
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Palo View Post
I'm upgrading some old Series 1 standalones to a single big drive
from a 3.0 HDR112 image that I've used before. I've done this previously
with MFStools 2.0 mfsrestore followed by copykern.

I just tried the LBA48 4.04 tools, and the
"RESTORE -x -s 300 -zpi /mnt/dos/tivo.bak.mfs /dev/hdc" command.
The restore seemed to go ok, but got a few errors on the COPYKERN:

"tpip -s -o /mnt/kernel.orig \
-k /cdrom/s1_kernels/kernel-3.0/vmlinux-3.0.px /dev/hdc
Are you ready?" y

/cdrom/s1_kernels/kernel-3.0/vmlinux-3.0.px.gz : No such file or directory
writing 1058304 bytes to '/mnt/kernel.orig'
tpip: unknown boot block signature: 0xdbldfac2
Kernel updated!

Any ideas what the problem is on the COPYKERN? Does it really look like
my CDrom is missing the appropriate kernel file?
Looks like your CDROM may not be mounted. Its been awhile since I looked at the boot sequence for it, but I think there is an attempt to automount the CDROM when it starts up so that you can access those files.

If it didn't work, then you will get the "no such file or directory" error until you properly mount it with a command like:

Code:
mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
or something similar.

The 2nd part of the error may be an indication that your mfsrestore didn't work. Try rebooting, or doing a

Code:
tivopart r /dev/hdc
to refresh the partition table after doing a restore and then try running CopyKern again (after verifying that the CD device is mounted properly).

Old 02-16-2009, 10:36 PM   #516
Steve Palo

Thanks very much. The mount /dev/hdd /cdrom got the copykern to work correctly. The "tivopart" resulted in an "unknown command" message. Disk still won't boot my Tivo, though. Hangs at "wait a moment..." message.

Now, do you know how to look at the kernel logs when a tivo disk is connected up to a pc? I don't know the proper mount command needed in order to see what is on the disk.
Steve Palo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:09 PM   #517
MontyL

Arrow

Some laughing may be involved here, but not from my side of the screen:

Just purchased, downloaded and burned the LBA48 4.04 ISO with killhdinitrd'd kernels included (per the descriptive) after having selected my unit from the pulldown lists. SW-LBA48-DL-101 (matches my service number, so I'm certain I picked the correct one).

Just to be concise, the Philips DSR7000 I chose from the pulldown lists is a Series 2 unit, currently sporting an untouched 6.4a software load.

Imagine my surprise when the $5 purchase I made seems to have the S2 kernels but the "copykern" script doesn't have any S2 choices...

Do I a) gripe to DVRUpgrade that I ended up with something other than what I ordered or b) figure out which of the 4 S2 kernels is the one I need and dd the darned thing into /dev/hda3 and 6 or c) find out that the only way I can continue is to buy the $20 InstantCake ISO?
Old 03-15-2009, 01:46 PM   #518
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyL View Post
Some laughing may be involved here, but not from my side of the screen:

Just purchased, downloaded and burned the LBA48 4.04 ISO with killhdinitrd'd kernels included (per the descriptive) after having selected my unit from the pulldown lists. SW-LBA48-DL-101 (matches my service number, so I'm certain I picked the correct one).

Just to be concise, the Philips DSR7000 I chose from the pulldown lists is a Series 2 unit, currently sporting an untouched 6.4a software load.

Imagine my surprise when the $5 purchase I made seems to have the S2 kernels but the "copykern" script doesn't have any S2 choices...

Do I a) gripe to DVRUpgrade that I ended up with something other than what I ordered or b) figure out which of the 4 S2 kernels is the one I need and dd the darned thing into /dev/hda3 and 6 or c) find out that the only way I can continue is to buy the $20 InstantCake ISO?
The big question is why you would need ANY of those things (or consider option a in the first place).

CopyKern and killhdinitrd kernels have nothing to do with one another; never have and never will.

Please take a look at the very first post of this thread which talks about the specifics of the FREE CD and why you would want to consider CopyKern in the first place. As for the $5 CD, it does contain the Series2 killhdinitrd kernels, but if all you are looking to do is have an expanded drive with 6.4a on it, you don't need to use a killhdinitrd kernel, lba48 or otherwise...

Old 03-15-2009, 02:33 PM   #519
MontyL

Lou,

I'd like to network said DSR7000 with the DSR704 and the PCs in the house. I'd like to take advantage of TiVoWebPlus' conflict resolution to have the two machines share the load when 3 shows conflict. I'd like to give the better half the ability to watch her time-shifted Oprah and Dr. Phil in either location, whether she's on the treadmill or in her easy chair.

I had success with 6.2a on the DSR7000, but the 704 updated to 6.4a before I'd gathered the courage to start on it. She likes the remote scheduling via directv.com better than my way of logging into TiVoWebPlus, she's accidently deleted enough shows that "recently deleted" was an instant hit, so I'm damned if I try to downgrade it to 6.2....

The 7000 was networked (even replaced the USB-Ethernet adapter with a completely different device once), had mfs-ftp, vserver, TivoWeb running, all was good. Unfortunately for me, I lost it all; the power supply suffered a catastrophic failure during the same event that crashed the drive, and no backup had ever been made since everything was done via the network while onboard the DirecTiVo.

The reason I'm looking for killhdinitrd or a kernel is that the "native" usb drivers don't appear to work with the adapters I have, so I'm trying to work with Jamie's backported drivers. hdinitrd (from what I've been able to gather with my scattered brain, correct me if I'm wrong) prevents such replacements.

The killhdinitrd on the 4.04 ISO gives "fatal: no exploit found for this kernel", none of the 4 S2 kernels work (all panic according to the logs) and just dropping the backported drivers into place results in their disappearance after the DirecTiVo reboots a few times...

Tell me I'm an idiot, then point out the error of my ways with concise directions. I've had a headache for a week trying to figure this out, and she's starting to get cranky about not having a working television in the bedroom.
Old 03-15-2009, 06:05 PM   #520
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyL View Post

The killhdinitrd on the 4.04 ISO gives "fatal: no exploit found for this kernel", none of the 4 S2 kernels work (all panic according to the logs) and just dropping the backported drivers into place results in their disappearance after the DirecTiVo reboots a few times...

Tell me I'm an idiot, then point out the error of my ways with concise directions. I've had a headache for a week trying to figure this out, and she's starting to get cranky about not having a working television in the bedroom.
Your request is way beyond the scope of this thread, and what you are asking me to do is not trivial. What I'd recommend you do is revisit the methods you used when upgrading your 6.2 system. The same kernels should work for the same reason that our PTVnet software CD's for both 6.2 and 6.4 use the same killhdinitrd kernels, from what I recall, and these kernels are provided on the $5 CD you purchased. There is a lot more to getting USB Ethernet drivers running, however.

If you are looking to save time then you might want to consider some of the other DIY tools we offer (or a preconfigured kit).

Lou

Old 03-16-2009, 08:43 AM   #521
MontyL

Lou,

I understand. To stay within the confines of the thread, then, do you know offhand which of the 4 kernels found in s2_kernels is the correct one for a directivo running 6.4a? Eliminating 3 wrong choices will aid my quest greatly.

S2_kernels
. 3_1.1.C
. 3_1.5
. 4_0.1A
. 7_2.2_O

BTW, I found my original backup image this morning, restored it to an old drive, dropped the kernel and the backported drivers into place, edited as needed, stuffed it in the DirecTiVo and booted it up... I'm telnet'd into it at this very moment. Proof of concept; the drivers, adapter and settings work, I just need to figure out the difference between 6.2 and 6.4a...

Thanks for your time

Last edited by MontyL : 03-16-2009 at 09:09 AM.
MontyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 02:06 PM   #522
halfempty

I have a DSR704 and a DSR708, both hacked and running 6.4a with Jamie's backport drivers on the 7.2.2 kill'd kernel from the DRVupgrade boot CD. Hope this helps.
halfempty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 09:04 PM   #523
MontyL

7.2.2 it is, then. Thanks!
Old 04-17-2009, 11:01 PM   #524
djliquidice

May i suggest *not* using a windows-only self extracting executable but instead allowing a plain ol zip for users/customers who don't use windows?

Anyone with modern OS's (Window XP+, OSX 10.4+ and modern linux distros) have inherent built in capability to extract regular zips.

Thanks,
djliquidice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #525
djliquidice

Just an FYI for many folks using *ix systems,

you can easily extract the iso from the Ext by the following command line:
Code:
macbook:Downloads jgarcia$ ls ptv*
ptvlba48-4.04.exe	ptvlba48-4.04.iso

macbook:Downloads jgarcia$ unzip ptv*
Archive:  ptvlba48-4.04.exe
  inflating: ptvlba48-4.04.iso     

macbook:Downloads jgarcia$ ls ptv*iso
ptvlba48-4.04.iso

Old 04-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #526
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Yeah, it probably would be a good idea to change the format of the file. I just checked and the date on that distro is November of 2006. Certainly a lot more Macs and Linux boxes around now...

Here is an alternate link to a plan old zip version:

LBA48 4.04 (ZIP)

Old 04-19-2009, 04:43 PM   #527
djliquidice

I'm very confused. Trying to do a 1 to 1 upgrade of my 160GB drive to a 400GB drive:

Using the following command:
Code:
mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdc \ #(source drive) 
| mfsrestore -r 4 -zxpi - /dev/hda #(destination, 400GB Drive).
i'm getting:

"Restore failed: backup target not large enough for entire backup itself."

I don't get it. What am i doing wrong? I can see that the linux OS can recognize the entire 400GB.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Jay
Old 04-19-2009, 07:05 PM   #528
djliquidice

ok, is it that the 160GB drive is a drive that was once upgraded? can we not backup from previously upgraded drives?
Old 04-20-2009, 12:02 AM   #529
halfempty

Quote:
Originally Posted by djliquidice View Post
ok, is it that the 160GB drive is a drive that was once upgraded? can we not backup from previously upgraded drives?
Yes and no. It depends on what version of mfstools you are using. WinMFS can do it, and I *THINK* the new 1.4 mfslive iso can do it, but the switches are different. Check over in their forum if no one here can easily remember, my foggy old brain isn't up to the task right now.
halfempty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM   #530
djliquidice

Thanks dude, i just posted there. boye the wife is getting angry without a tivo. imagine - having to schedule our lives around tv for a few days. heh.
Old 04-26-2009, 08:23 PM   #531
jangelj

i posted this on mfslive site, but...

TCF gets way more traffic, so thought I ask here, too.
---------------
OK, my S1 phillips (previously upgraded to 250GB) started locking up. I have another 250 GB drive, so I tried winmfs. it got stuck about half way through the copy process (I was trying to preserve my recordings). It seemed like it was trying to repeatedly read the same spot on the HD. So I thought I'd try to boot with mfslive and do a "backup -qTao - /dev/hdc | restore -s 128 -nzi - /dev/hdd" It is copying right now (12% and counting).

My question is, with the newest version of mfslive (1.4) is the patch to rescue dying HDs part of the backup |restore command? Or is this something I need to run separately? (see - Patch to rescue TiVo drive with errors - patch submitted by terativo (http://mfslive.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=955))

I know about dd_rescue and will try that next if my backup|restore does not work, but this patch sounds like it may do the trick.
John
jangelj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 PM   #532
RedWingsRULE!
306hrSA 318hrHD

I have a TiVo HD with a 1TB InstantCake drive that is now failing. I have a new 1TB drive and want to copy everything to the new drive. What are my options?
Old 05-23-2009, 10:30 PM   #533
HomeUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsRULE! View Post
I have a TiVo HD with a 1TB InstantCake drive that is now failing. I have a new 1TB drive and want to copy everything to the new drive. What are my options?
One option is
dd_rescue You will need a boot CD like MFSLive that works with the SATA drives.
HomeUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #534
RedWingsRULE!
306hrSA 318hrHD

Thanks, but WinMFS was what I used and it was SOOOOOO simple. WinXP did stomp on the boot sector, but WinMFS repaired that and it copied 1TB in about 4 hours. GREAT product, no burning needed, just hook them up to a Windows PC and run the EXE.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:56 PM   #535
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsRULE! View Post
Thanks, but WinMFS was what I used and it was SOOOOOO simple. WinXP did stomp on the boot sector, but WinMFS repaired that and it copied 1TB in about 4 hours. GREAT product, no burning needed, just hook them up to a Windows PC and run the EXE.
WinMFS is not part of the LBA48 Boot Disk; it's an entirely different software tool and requires a Windows-based PC for use.

The LBA48 CD includes mfstools which can be used to accomplish the copy process. Please see the 1st post of this thread for links to guides on mfstools usage.

Lou

Old 09-18-2009, 12:50 AM   #536
pes123

tivoupgrade, you are absolutely right. WinMFS is NOT part of the LBA48 Boot Disk. it's an entirely different application.

pes123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 PM   #537
martinfick

Unable to upgrade 500G tivo Series 1

I am trying to upgrade my series 1 Tivo from an already upgraded single 500G disk (which means I already have an LBA48 kernel and larger swap working) to a dual drive system (yes, all 500G full). I have the original drive "dd"ed to a backup (and tested backup) so no worries here.

If I use the mftools2.0 with large disk support to perform:
mfsadd -x -r 4 /dev/hdc /dev/hdd
(hdc is drive with data, hdd is new drive), the mfsadd seems to work fine. mfsinfo indicates the correct amount of new space. But, when I insert the two drives back in the tivo it will not boot. No green screen, nothing... If I reinstall my backup, it boots fine. I tried this with two "new" drives, first a 500G one and then a 100G one, same results.

I thought that perhaps my power supply could not handle the second drive? To test this theory, I plugged in both drives to the power supply, but only the restored original drive to the IDE cable and the system boots fine. I assume the current draw in this setup would be similar to running both drives. So, it appears I do not have a PS problem. Additionally, I plugged the upgraded non-working pair into another tivo and it cannot boot them either.

So, my questions are: "any ideas what could be wrong, why I cannot upgrade again? (I have enough partitions left)" Also, has anyone upgraded a 500G series 1 tivo beyond 500G with a second drive? Should what I am doing even work?

Thanks for any hints or new tests to try... I would really like to be able to add more space to this tivo,

-Martin
martinfick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 08:17 PM   #538
stingray

can I use it for reformating my ex-tivo HD

I no longer using a hard drive that was used for my Tivo. I bought an enclosure and i went to the seagate website and downloaded the diagonostic tools. But when I connect the HD to both my Mac and Pc, the Hd is not recognized.
In my research, it appears that I need to get a linux boot Cd and then I can reformat my hard drive and put Os or windows in it.

Can I use this Cd for that?
stingray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #539
smw6230

I can't seem to get the LBA48 CD to mount properly.

I just upgraded a Series 1 (Philips) from 40gb in WinMFS to 320gb.

The last task I need to accomplish now is to patch the new drive with a hacked LBA48 kernel. That is where my problem lies.

The log scrolls by fast so I can't really study it but from what I've been able to pick out my CDROM is 'hdb' and my target drive is 'hde'.

I've let the program run through and that doesn't seem to work. I've tried mounting it with the following command;

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom

and I get the following;

mount /dev/hdb /cdrom
mount:block device /dev/hdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: /dev/hdb already mounted or /cdrom busy
mount: according to mtab, dev/hdb is mounted on /var/log/mount

So from that it looks like the CDROM may be mounted.

But when I enter copykern and attempt to modify/change the kernel for my tivo (Series 1 standalone) I get the following error.

/cdrom/s1_Kernels/kernel-301/vmlinux-3.0.px.gz:
no such file or directory
tpip:unknown bootpage signature 0xff33
kernel updated!

I'm completely stumped on how to get copykern to mount. It looks easy but obviously I'm missing something.

Also of possible note is the fact that I am operating off a computer with a single IDE channel. Therefore I have it configured as CDROM to primary IDE during boot, then after it boots, I pull the ide from the back of the CDROM and connect it to my drive.

I've tried connecting everything up, CDROM as primary master, to the IDE channel, with the drive attached on the same ide cable jumped as slave and plugged into the appropriate slot.

Can anyone help?
smw6230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:40 AM   #540
Tobashadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw6230 View Post
Also of possible note is the fact that I am operating off a computer with a single IDE channel. Therefore I have it configured as CDROM to primary IDE during boot, then after it boots, I pull the ide from the back of the CDROM and connect it to my drive.
Umm yha you can't do that it can't mount the cd if the cd is not there anymore.

Either you need to find a older computer with dual ide or need a adapter to get a second ide channel.

Or hmm

Does your computer support boot from usb?

If so a thumb drive made bootable with the UNetbootin program using the iso feature might be what you need.

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

New and Improved! - Cancer Free since Feb 10th 2010!!! F*%K Cancer!
Tobashadow is offline   Reply With Quote