Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-11-2009, 12:56 PM   #121
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelea View Post
My concern though . . . just how slow are these older machines at reading a long file list on these giant drives?
Mileage will always vary. If you rarely interact with your TiVo and have a HUGE NPL (lots of short recordings, for instance), then the first time you try to display the NPL in awhile will take a lot longer than if you did it 30 minutes ago. Same thing goes for sorting season passes and dealing with other large lists with inter-dependencies.

We've been doing 750GB and 1TB drives in Series2 units for quite some time now and haven't heard any complaints, so chances are you'll be happier with the capacity increases than with any performance issues that might arise...

Using the PATA-SATA adapter will not affect performance at all.

Lou

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tivoupgrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 PM   #122
raffitaffy

Won't someone help me with a Toshiba RS TX60/T20 image?
raffitaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:13 PM   #123
chamelea

Quote:
Originally Posted by tivoupgrade View Post
. . . We've been doing 750GB and 1TB drives in Series2 units for quite some time now and haven't heard any complaints, so chances are you'll be happier with the capacity increases than with any performance issues that might arise...

Using the PATA-SATA adapter will not affect performance at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalfreak View Post
My DSR7000 reads my 750GB PATA file list just fine. No noticeable delay when going to the NPL.
Thanks guys . . . good to hear

Nov '12 SWM Dish w/ THR22-100
Now retired: Oct '02 Elliptical dish
Sony SAT-60, Phillips 7000, HR10-250 w/PTVnet)
chamelea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #124
superfan99

Image request

Iam looking for an image for the Tivo2 HD TCD652160
superfan99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:00 PM   #125
motorcycle_rider

I am looking for an image for the Toshiba SD-H400

I now have what I need for this. Thanks

Last edited by motorcycle_rider : 10-25-2009 at 01:27 PM.
motorcycle_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:30 PM   #126
Stinkweed8

Need image for TCD240080

I cant find a place to get this...can anyone help me?

NEVER MIND...i just bought the instant cake version..

one more update....it wasnt the hdd...I caked it and it still wouldnt boot.

Fortunately I had a spare S2 with similar internals and switched the power supply and it fired. Too bad I didnt try this before wiping the hdd....

Last edited by Stinkweed8 : 10-26-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Stinkweed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #127
chamelea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkweed8 View Post
... one more update....it wasnt the hdd...I caked it and it still wouldnt boot.

Fortunately I had a spare S2 with similar internals and switched the power supply and it fired. Too bad I didnt try this before wiping the hdd....
Still, you first suspected a HDD failure??
What symptoms later turned out to be the power supply?

Others could benefit from your experience . . .
couldn't hurt to replace the fan, also.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:36 PM   #128
Stinkweed8

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamelea View Post
Still, you first suspected a HDD failure??
What symptoms later turned out to be the power supply?

Others could benefit from your experience . . .
couldn't hurt to replace the fan, also.
Yes, I first suspected hdd failure...It seems to be the most common isssue with Tivos and is generally an easy fix. And i corroborated my symptoms (stuck on power up screen) with some other users who said a hdd replacement solved their woes.

Anyhow, so after replacing the hdd with freshly 'instantcaked' one, I still could not get boot. It SOUNDED like the drives were spinning, but i noticed that the light on the front wasnt going on...except intermittently when unplugging the box...something was strange with the plug, or the psu...i couldnt find a spare plug, but i had a spare old S2 tivo with similar almost identical looking psu. I gave it a try and it booted and the lights came on and everything was good. I didnt have a spare fan (the one from the old tivo was noisy)

The only other thing that happened was a error code 51 which I googled to discover that I needed to clear and delete everything because of the freshened hdd. That solved the error code...
Stinkweed8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM   #129
chamelea

Thanks. Mine self-reboots, but can't get beyond the (green) GSOD.
Seems to be a different problem, most likely the HDD.

Old 10-31-2009, 08:58 AM   #130
paladin732
Life Bites

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
Iam looking for an image for the Tivo2 HD TCD652160
I am looking for the same image please.

Thanks
Old 11-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #131
Extremist
Joe Satriani rocks

Hope I'm in the right thread for this...

I have a DTivo Samsung SIR-S4080R that I am needing an image for if anyone could help me. Thank you!!
Extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 07:53 AM   #132
dawg1

Need TCD652160 Tivo HD Image. Thanks!
dawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 03:26 PM   #133
Extremist
Joe Satriani rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extremist View Post
Hope I'm in the right thread for this...

I have a DTivo Samsung SIR-S4080R that I am needing an image for if anyone could help me. Thank you!!
BUMP...

Anybody have an image?

The wife is starting to give me nasty looks and griping about missing her General Hospital, any help would be appreciated!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:27 PM   #134
Extremist
Joe Satriani rocks

Quote:
BUMP...

Anybody have an image?

The wife is starting to give me nasty looks and griping about missing her General Hospital, any help would be appreciated!

Well little did I know that DirecTV would be the ones to put a stop to my Tivo DVR dreams...

Three different CSR's, a supervisor, and two card CSR's and they would NOT re-marry my card to the new Tivo. They would ONLY send me a new card for the low low price of $20. I know they can re-marry the cards, I've done it at least twice before and I told them as much, but they would not budge.

As an alternative the card CSR offered me a leased unit, with no contract, and no additional fee. Free shipping and handling as well... (apparently the contracts ended 2 weeks ago, according to this CSR, they don't do that anymore).

How does this make financial sense for DTV? Re-marry the card for nearly 0 cost... OR send me a whole new unit for 0 cost to me? Well... whatever. Their loss I guess.

Also, the card CSR told me that in Feb. they would start offering the actual Tivo units again. I'm sure that's here somewhere, but thought I would mention it.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:07 AM   #135
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
As an alternative the card CSR offered me a leased unit, with no contract, and no additional fee. Free shipping and handling as well... (apparently the contracts ended 2 weeks ago, according to this CSR, they don't do that anymore).
This sounds *very* suspicious to me; you may want to double-check that with another CSR...

Old 11-09-2009, 04:26 PM   #136
Extremist
Joe Satriani rocks

Quote:
This sounds *very* suspicious to me; you may want to double-check that with another CSR...
I just got the new unit today along with the new access card. I haven't opened the boxes yet or opened the mailer with the access card in it, I wanted to call and confirm first.

I just spoke with a CSR who confirmed that I'm still under no contract with DTV at this point.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:25 AM   #137
magnus
Tivo User

You'll have a new contract once you open the box and activate the card. It does not matter what they tell you... you will get one.

Quote:
I just got the new unit today along with the new access card. I haven't opened the boxes yet or opened the mailer with the access card in it, I wanted to call and confirm first.

I just spoke with a CSR who confirmed that I'm still under no contract with DTV at this point.

magnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 11:31 AM   #138
dbutts

Is this the right place to ask....

can i use the same iso on two different tivo hd units?

e.g.

i pulled the original hdd from my registered and working tivo hd. i used that drive to upgrade to a 1tb hdd so it has the same info as my original

can i now clone a 2d hdd for another tivo hd? or does the hdd contain unique info?
dbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:02 PM   #139
exegesis48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutts View Post

can i use the same iso on two different tivo hd units?

e.g.

i pulled the original hdd from my registered and working tivo hd. i used that drive to upgrade to a 1tb hdd so it has the same info as my original

can i now clone a 2d hdd for another tivo hd? or does the hdd contain unique info?
You can use the same image, just realize that after running setup on the unit you will have to "Clear and Erase Everything" from the Tivo settings.
exegesis48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:30 PM   #140
rdangel

Looking for a TCD240 image

My S2 drive died this weekend. Not looking to invest much money in it, just live out my 12 mos without buying another machine.

Anyone have access to a backup image of a TCD240?
PM me if possible.
Thanks!
rdangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:22 AM   #141
Dan04u

Hi
I have a
series 2
Tivo TCD649080
That I need a image for. Please help
Dan04u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:00 PM   #142
hisjerry

Need TCD540040 image

I need an image for TCD540040 (nightlight/SA). Thanks in advance!~
hisjerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:22 PM   #143
coletown

Am also looking for TCD540040 image. Any help appreciated. I can help w/ TCD240 and TCD540 images in return. Thanks much.
coletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #144
HmeTinkerer

Hi there, my Series 2 TCD240040 croaked this past weekend. I just assumed it was the hard drive as that seemed the most likely failure point. The screen is always black and none of the LED status lights ever turn on (usually a light green LED is on during normal operation). I just bought an old TCD540040 found on Craigslist and figured that I could just copy that image and use it to revive my unit with the lifetime service. Now after reading through this forum, I am not so sure. Will this work?

I tried the IRC stuff and it looks like the !image feature is no longer available. I'm not even sure the hard drive is the issue. Anyone with similar symptoms?
HmeTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:32 AM   #145
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmeTinkerer View Post
Hi there, my Series 2 TCD240040 croaked this past weekend. I just assumed it was the hard drive as that seemed the most likely failure point. The screen is always black and none of the LED status lights ever turn on (usually a light green LED is on during normal operation). I just bought an old TCD540040 found on Craigslist and figured that I could just copy that image and use it to revive my unit with the lifetime service. Now after reading through this forum, I am not so sure. Will this work?

I tried the IRC stuff and it looks like the !image feature is no longer available. I'm not even sure the hard drive is the issue. Anyone with similar symptoms?
Might want to take a look at the link in my signature on troubleshooting, that should get you on the right track to diagnosing the problem.

Lou

Old 01-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #146
HmeTinkerer

Quote:
Might want to take a look at the link in my signature on troubleshooting, that should get you on the right track to diagnosing the problem.

Lou
Thanks, Lou. I get this message:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 2 posts.
But you're probably talking about ww.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416062 ?
I am going to be posting in the Tivo Help Center forum since after downloading the Seagate tool disk, it appears that the disk is fine.

EDIT: found a 3/4 inch long crack in the power supply circuit board. I'm assuming that is the culprit.

Last edited by HmeTinkerer : 01-16-2010 at 02:07 PM.
HmeTinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #147
tivoupgrade
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HmeTinkerer View Post
Thanks, Lou. I get this message:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 2 posts.
But you're probably talking about ww.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=416062 ?
I am going to be posting in the Tivo Help Center forum since after downloading the Seagate tool disk, it appears that the disk is fine.
Ah, yes; didn't realize that link was restricted. That is the article.

Linking here for newcomers...

Lou

Old 02-05-2010, 11:53 AM   #148
nix7
DirecTiVo enthusiast

I need an image for a HR 10-250; unfortunately I didn't manage to grab one before the click-of-death claimed the unit's hd. Does anyone have one that I could get a copy of?

I'm just trying to get this thing going for the last few months of my contract with an unused drive. ...and the Olympics are coming up and the wife would be quite upset if we had no tv...

PM me if you like.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.
nix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 08:37 PM   #149
mdedmon

looking for an image, but don't have enough posts!

What a stupid thing... minimum posts before PM. Ugghh...
mdedmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #150
amatheu

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcobourn View Post
If you need to reimage a TiVo for hard drive repair or storage upgrade:

Turn-key solutions are available from a sponsor of this forum, DVRUpgrade

If you want to go the do-it-yourself route, here are your best bets:

1) Drop by #tivo on EFnet. Check the topic for instructions. If you don't have an IRC client, you can use the java client at http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=EFnet. If you have an IRC client installed, try this link: IRC://irc.efnet.org/tivo. (fastest results here)

2) Email tivo (at) geckobyte (dot) net with your request (fast results).

3) PM Me. Include an email address for faster response. (Okay, I know the thread title says don't PM me, but I'll get to these eventually. Checking private messages that don't include an email address means I have to read the rest of the forum or threads will no longer be marked new when I do have time to read them, so I'll only do so at my convenience. If you do include an email address, I'll see it via an email alert and can respond promptly.)

Please also use this thread to post requests for any images I can't point you to.

The old thread can be read here.
I copy the drive 500 GB TO 640 gb THE COPY WAS OK AND i GET THE QUESTION IF i WANT TO EXPAND, AND i CLICK YES, THEN i GET "sorry there is not more partitions left" the help is appreciate

Thanks
amatheu is offline   Reply With Quote