TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-15-2010, 04:07 PM   #631
Cygnet Boy
Systems Analyst

Big Grin Another Satisfied DirecTivo User in Atlanta with Vonage!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMan__007 View Post
My adapter feeds the whole house through it's POTS wiring system, which isn't the best cabling, and distance is an issue as the Tivo by my ATA device works much better then the other two for connecting successfully. The furthest on in the chain gives me more problems however I know have it working pretty well. I have actively 4 devices, 3 Tivo's and 1 5.8GHz two handset phones, on my REN 3 adapter and can easily drive a fifth phone, old princess line or more.

Here is what works for me....

Code:
Tivo with VoIP Service
======================

System Equipment:
-----------------
Comcast Broadband Service
Motorola Surfboard SB4200 Cable Modem
D-Link DIR-655 Gateway WiFi Router
Broadband Telephony Systems (BBTelSys)
PAP2T-NA (ATA adapter)

TIVO SETTINGS:
--------------          Series2           Series2           Series1
Manufacture             Hughes            Philips           Sony
IRD Model               HR10-250          DSR7000/17        SAT-T60
Software Version        6.3e-01-2-367     6.3e-01-2-101     3.5c-01-1-011

Dial-In Number          [(612) 630-5365]  [(612) 630-5365]  612-630-0770
Dial Prefix             [*99,]            [*99,#019,]       *99,
Call Waiting Prefix     [*70,]            [*70]             *70,
Tone/Pulse Dialing      [Tone]            [Tone]            Tone
Availability Detection  [Off]             [Off]             Off
Dial Tone Detection     [Off]             [Off]             Off

Code:
Command & Feature Descriptions:
------------------------------
*70,   Disable Call Waiting
*99,   Sets ATA adapter Bandwidth Saver to High
       * Use if you have one of these adapters:
         Linksys RT31P2
                 WRT54GP2
                 PAP2
       * These adapters automatically select Bandwidth Saver to High:
         Cisco   ATA-186
         Linksys RTP300
                 WRTP54G
         Uniden  UIP1869V
#019   Sets Tivo's modem to 19,200bps

Dial Tone Detection - Most VoIP providers supply VoiceMail in this case you must turn this feature OFF in order for Tivo to work.

Dial-In Number - You may want to select a major city for your phone numbers and you'll have to play with different numbers to find the one that works best. Even when you find a good number it probably won't work all the time but should still do the job. If you notice above my area code is not the same as the number I'm using to connect to Tivo service so the area is used to dial out.

Dial Prefix - Use this to setup your Tivo and ATA adapter prior to dialing out.

QoS - If your router has QoS make sure to set it up for your ATA adapter giving it preference for the proper ports with UDP protocol. This is also important for echo’s and choppy sound when using your phone.

Here is a good site for some general problems with VoIP;
http://www.voipfrustration.com/

Thanks so much, XMan__007...

My adapter also feeds the whole house through it's POTS wiring system, which I agree isn't the best cabling. However, distance does not seem to be an issue for me, since my condo only has ONE outlet. I have actively 4 devices, 1 Tivo, 2x HR23/700, and 1 5.8GHz 4 handset phones that are all wired on a 150' length of phone cable (which runs all the way up to my wireless phone system on the second floor. The Vonage device is not directly connected to my WiMax or my WiFi Router, it's actually connected to a Cisco switch on the first floor, so there's another 100' run of Cat6e Cabling coming back down. I haven't noticed any issues with the length of either wires, even when I'm downloading a movie from On-Demand, using any of 6 PC's or the constantly running server, the phone sounds just great, and it even allows data calls.

But, after many attempts, I was able to make it work for me!!! Anyone in Atlanta, GA might want to try this, as I was amazed after trying since I got the device to get it to work. Thanks for the template.

Here's how I did it, and which services I use:

My Internet Service is Clear WiMax, which gives me about 9 MBps D/L and 1.5 MBps U/L, I live less than a mile away from the WiMax tower. Clear offers it's own Phone Service (uses Linksys VOIP Router for $15.00 @ BBuy), it's $20 per month, but I prefer Vonage (60 Countries FREE!), Router was FREE (called the 800 #) and far more control over VOIP.

1. Call VONAGE (800-VONAGE HELP) and tell them that you are going to use a fax machine on your primary line, and that your fax machine when sending keeps failing half way through often, and they can set your vonage box to accommodate you. I told them that I found a link on http://www.vonage-forum.com/. This is VERY IMPORTANT (it didn't work before doing this).

I feel that I should say that I did try to get a connection to the NYC (Manhattan North) numbers (212-920-3005, 212-277-3895 and 212-271-7103) but they did not work at all with the settings below. The TiVo displayed an error 07 after I attempted each call). I still have my landline (until the 19th of Jan) and was able to force a call to the 800 number for local 212 access numbers, to no avail. I switched back to the 678 Area Code, which, like all of Atlanta is local. At the next attempt, it connected, then I did a daily call. Both worked flawlessly. I have done 10 daily calls and each time the call went through.

Also, if anyone can help, I tried to include the CW (*70) in both prefix strings, but the call just would not go through (unable to connect error), but when I removed it, it worked perfectly. It usually updates between 3 and 5 am, so it'd be pretty rare that the D*Tivo would interrupt a call. However, I would sure appreciate any suggestions to get past that particular problem.

My setup is as follows:

Code:
Tivo with VoIP Service
======================

System Equipment:
-----------------
Clear WiMax Broadband Service http://www.clear.com
Motorola CPEi 150 WiMax Gateway (9M d/l, 1.5M u/l)
Linksys (Cisco) WRT54G-TM Router w/ DDWRT Firmware v24-SP2 (7/21/09) mega
Vonage V-Portal 1-Port Router

TIVO SETTINGS:
--------------           Series2         
Manufacture              Philips            
IRD Model                DSR708/17        
Software Version         6.4a-01-2-101
Media:                   ATA-133 750GB HDD (700+ Hrs. SD)

Dial-In Number           [(678) 951-0203]  
Dial Prefix              [,#019]       
Call Waiting Prefix      [*99,]
Tone/Pulse Dialing       [Tone]
Availability Detection   [Off]
Dial Tone Detection      [Off]

―Harmony 720 Remote
―Philps Pronto Neo TSU500/01 Remote
―Samsung 40 LCD HD720
―Dynex 42 LCD HD1080
Cygnet Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:38 PM   #632
Reinere

I have a DIRECTV DVR R10 receiver and have been trying to connect and upgrade this receiver for the past 3 days but was unsuccessful. I have PhonePower's VOIP as my phone service. I tried every possible combination of dialing setup codes but they all failed, until I tried Cygnet Boy setup below. I left my dial-in number as is and I used the area code: (678). It worked instantly and flawlessly. Thank you Cygnet Boy.

PS: My receiver wasn't giving me the option to change my dial in number but it gave me the option to change the area code. I'm in NY, so I changed the area code from 212 to 678 and it worked.

Setup:

Dial Prefix: ,#019
Call Waiting Prefix: *99,
Tone/Pulse Dialing: Tone
Availability Detection: Off
Dial Tone Detection: Off
Reinere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 01:10 AM   #633
D'Ecosse

HDVR2 - Vonage

Have tried pretty much all the identified prefixes and 'working' numbers (like the 212's & even some others listed in this thread) yet unable to get a successful negotiation with any combination. Have also ensured the adapter setting is max bandwidth & disabled call waiting in my account settings and using a DSL Filter at the DVR phone input jack.

I took it down to my wife's office the other day and it works fine on land line, just not on the VOIP.

Anyone with recent success in using built-in modem on HDVR2 without reverting to external?

I don't care about daily call-in - just want to get the software updated to 6.4 so I can get my local channels restored.
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #634
D'Ecosse

Decided to try PPP to attempt to get around the HDVR2 to Vonage modem connection issue - had the hardware bits on-hand to make the stereo to DB9 Null Serial cable
(However no serial port on laptop - attempting to use USB Serial adapter)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtlinux View Post

Connected my system to my laptop via homemade serial cable and set my dial prefix to ,#211 (tells my t-60 to use 115k over a serial port). Successfully made 10 DAILY calls with no errors!

Here is the pinout for the serial cable I made....
Using a db9 female end and a std 1/8" stereo mini plug make the wiring connection as follows. DB9-pin2 = mini plug tip, DB9-pin3 = mini plug center section, DB9-pin5 = mini plug base.

see attached doc(S) for detail on configuring windows
I followed this pretty much religiously - have double/triple checked every step;
the only difference is I am using a USB-Serial adapter for the Laptop - is that where the problem is?
There is no indication on the new connection that a client is connected when I command the Tivo to dial out ....
D'Ecosse is offline   Reply With Quote