TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 PM   #7021
Sam Lowry

OK everybody, with all of the hassles described on this >230 page thread, my question is... if I'm going to switch to Comcast soon (I'd like to get it going before the Olympics so I can see it in HD), and I don't yet have a TivoHD (I have a S2). Do I go ahead and start my cable ASAP, and get the TivoHD (or hopefully a newer Tivo device) + the CableCard later? Or should I try to get it all at once?

I'm in the Santa Cruz, CA area (Aptos).

Thanks,
SL
Sam Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 PM   #7022
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Lowry View Post
OK everybody, with all of the hassles described on this >230 page thread, my question is... if I'm going to switch to Comcast soon (I'd like to get it going before the Olympics so I can see it in HD), and I don't yet have a TivoHD (I have a S2). Do I go ahead and start my cable ASAP, and get the TivoHD (or hopefully a newer Tivo device) + the CableCard later? Or should I try to get it all at once?

I'd want to have the TiVo HD unit(s) when Comcast comes to do the install.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:23 AM   #7023
flaminiom

Yeah, get the Tivo HD installed then have Comcast come out. You don't want to re-do the Comcast setup if you can avoid it.

You can run the cable guide setup without the card installed. So, when they show up, you're guide info should be ready to go once the pairing is complete.
flaminiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #7024
drhankz

Quote:

Thanks,
SL
Get started ASAP - FYI - you should not need a CableCard to get
either OTA HD or Basic HD channels. I get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX
in HD from Comcast without a CableCard.

If you do want a CableCard for other Premium HD Channels - then
you do need a CableCard - AGAIN Get Started ASAP.
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #7025
Tsiehta

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosssfire View Post
For those of you who have not read any of my previous post, I will bring you up to speed. Including today, I have had 5 cablecards, 4 techs and 3 tivo boxes. All this just to trying and recieve a picture. I mean, I could not watch any live tv when the cablecard was in the box.

Long story short: Ramone from the Comcast Nation Call Center arranged for a Tech to come over today. He also set up a conference call between the Comcast Head end and the DAC, while the Tech was at my house.

Turns out that every thing that the Tivo Techs were saying was true. The problem was a Comcast problem. Comcast was sending a hit that was never getting to my box. Now listen closely. There is good info in this forum. I read some where in this forum that Cablecards are 1 way devices. The card can not communicate back to Comcast to tell them that it ever recieved a Hit.

This was important to know because, the Comcast Techs kept saying that they could see that the Hit to the Cablecard was successful. Next, they would tell me the problem must be with Tivo. The Tech is really only telling me what the dispatcher is telling him on the phone. So why do the dispatcher say this to the Techs?

In short: After the Dispatcher sends a Hit to your card he or she will recieve a status of successful or an error code. The problem is the Dispatch and Techs misunderstand what this means. For example, when a Dispatcher send a hit to a card and gets back a status of successful this means that the transmission of the Hit was successful. It does not mean that your cablecard is saying that it successfully recieved the signal from the Hit. Why? Because the Cablecard is a 1 way device and it can not talk back.

A good example of this is something most of us do everyday. Text messaging. I have an Iphone. When I send a text, I see a status bar uploading the text and the phone makes a nice sound to indictate the the text was sent. Sometimes I get an error code. The one thing that I do not get is a response from my friends phone telling me that he or she recieve the Text (Hit). I could make the mistake of thinking my phone was telling me that my text message reach my friends phone. But what if my friends phone was off. He couldn't recieve a text until his phone was on. Yet, I still get the same success tone (code) from my Iphone.

I had a month of problems because the Comcast Dispatch and Tech kept reading the success code the wrong way. The code only meant that the Hit was successfully sent. The problem could have be elevated a long time ago.

They got my box going. I don't have HBO and all that crap. I use Nextflix. I have Basic and HD
So, what did the Comcast tech DO/Tell the Dispatcher to get the Tivo working?
Tsiehta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #7026
Sam Lowry

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Get started ASAP - FYI - you should not need a CableCard to get
either OTA HD or Basic HD channels. I get ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX
in HD from Comcast without a CableCard.

If you do want a CableCard for other Premium HD Channels - then
you do need a CableCard - AGAIN Get Started ASAP.

Thanks for yours and others' responses. I'm a bit confused. What exactly are Premium HD Channels? You mean anything but the usual broadcast stations - like ESPN, Syfy, CNN, etc? Or do you mean paid channels like HBO?

Sounds like getting the Tivo installed with the basic cable option (digital starter?) is fine. And then get the cable card later? Do I need a cable box without the CableCard?
Sam Lowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #7027
drhankz

Quote:
Thanks for yours and others' responses. I'm a bit confused. What exactly are Premium HD Channels? You mean anything but the usual broadcast stations - like ESPN, Syfy, CNN, etc? Or do you mean paid channels like HBO?

Sounds like getting the Tivo installed with the basic cable option (digital starter?) is fine. And then get the cable card later? Do I need a cable box without the CableCard?
It varies from MSO to MSO.

Bottom Line is usually - if you can receive the channel OEVR THE AIR,
then you can most likely receive it over the cable WITHOUT a CableCard.
Something like ESPN, etc - you can't receive OTA - therefore you will
need a CableCard. HBO, Starz, Showtime, are all EXTRA COST - period.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #7028
jneugeba

Quote:
Originally Posted by dswallow View Post
I'd want to have the TiVo HD unit(s) when Comcast comes to do the install.
I'm in the same boat with wanting to get up and running by the Olympics (just got my HD Tivo), but am confused as Comcast told me I could go to my local outlet and get the card myself. Is this not the case? Do I go there and ask for one M-Cable card? Or is there anything else more specific I need to know. Thanks!
jneugeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:36 PM   #7029
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by jneugeba View Post
I'm in the same boat with wanting to get up and running by the Olympics (just got my HD Tivo), but am confused as Comcast told me I could go to my local outlet and get the card myself. Is this not the case? Do I go there and ask for one M-Cable card? Or is there anything else more specific I need to know. Thanks!
Some Comcast areas let you pick up the cards and self-install. Some require a truck roll. Unfortunately, also don't be surprised if you go to pick them up and then they tell you it requires a truck roll. The CSRs don't necessarily know what they do, either.

But if that happens to you, make them at least do the install for free.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:38 PM   #7030
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
It varies from MSO to MSO.

Bottom Line is usually - if you can receive the channel OEVR THE AIR,
then you can most likely receive it over the cable WITHOUT a CableCard.
Something like ESPN, etc - you can't receive OTA - therefore you will
need a CableCard. HBO, Starz, Showtime, are all EXTRA COST - period.
Unless they're delivering it as an 8VSB signal over cable, which these days should be pretty rare, even if they let you get the over the air digital stations without a CableCARD, the TiVo has no way of doing any mapping of guide data to the correct QAM channel. You really still need the CableCARD, at least to utilize TiVo's scheduling/recording capabilities with those channels.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #7031
drhankz

Quote:
even if they let you get the over the air digital stations without a CableCARD, the TiVo has no way of doing any mapping of guide data to the correct QAM channel.
I'm surprised to hear that. I have (1) TiVo with CableCard and (5) SONY
DVRs with (2) CableCards out ot (5).

The Sony DVRs DO GET the correct Mapping Data without any CableCard.
I'm very surprised that TiVo PAYING Subscribers do not get the right
mapping data. Why would TiVo care if there is a CableCard installed for
effectively FREE Channels.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #7032
Phantom Gremlin

Quote:
The Sony DVRs DO GET the correct Mapping Data without any CableCard.
I'm very surprised that TiVo PAYING Subscribers do not get the right
mapping data. Why would TiVo care if there is a CableCard installed for
effectively FREE Channels.
There's a 51 page thread that explains this situation in excruciating detail.
Phantom Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 07:35 AM   #7033
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom Gremlin View Post
There's a 51 page thread that explains this situation in excruciating detail.
Thanks for the heads up Info and the Link
Old 01-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #7034
jneugeba

Quote:
Some Comcast areas let you pick up the cards and self-install. Some require a truck roll. Unfortunately, also don't be surprised if you go to pick them up and then they tell you it requires a truck roll. The CSRs don't necessarily know what they do, either.

But if that happens to you, make them at least do the install for free.
You were exactly right. Went to the outlet and was told it would need a truck roll. They come this afternoon, I hope everything works.
jneugeba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:45 PM   #7035
CorrysD

My mom has a series 2 TiVo and basic cable from Comcast in the Philadelphia area. She has a cable box to decode the digital channels. Recently, more channels have been converted to digital, so I had to change the settings on those channels from cable to box in the TiVo menu. The only problem with that is her ability to use both tuners, concurrently, is dwindling. One tuner is fed from the cable box and the other is fed from the cable. We were told by TiVo that her only option is to get a series 3 HD TiVo along with two cable cards from Comcast to fully utilize both tuners. This seems like overkill for basic cable.

Does that sound correct? Are there any other alternatives?

thanks for your help
CorrysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 PM   #7036
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorrysD View Post
My mom has a series 2 TiVo and basic cable from Comcast in the Philadelphia area. She has a cable box to decode the digital channels. Recently, more channels have been converted to digital, so I had to change the settings on those channels from cable to box in the TiVo menu. The only problem with that is her ability to use both tuners, concurrently, is dwindling. One tuner is fed from the cable box and the other is fed from the cable. We were told by TiVo that her only option is to get a series 3 HD TiVo along with two cable cards from Comcast to fully utilize both tuners. This seems like overkill for basic cable.

Does that sound correct? Are there any other alternatives?

thanks for your help
You don't NEED (2) CableCards if you buy a NEW TiVo HD . You only
need one "M" card. The OLD series "3" needed (2) Cards.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:35 AM   #7037
schwinn

drhankz is correct - you don't need 2 cable cards (a single M-card will do both tuners)

I thinnk the real question you are asking is how you can retain both tuners of capability. As the cablecos move more towards digital, the S2 will not be able to receive these channels on its own. You could get an additional DTA box or cable box (DTA = less-functional, smaller box, that works for basic cable). This DTA box can provide channels to the S2, and then you can continue to use the cable box as you normally do. In other words, you have two digital tuners (DTA + cable box) to get the job done.

Comcast, at least in my area (MA), is providing 1 cable box and 2 DTA boxes to people undergoing the digital transition for cable systems... I believe these are being provided for free. If you're undergoing the digital transition, you may be able to get these for free as well, from your cable company.
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:42 AM   #7038
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
drhankz is correct - you don't need 2 cable cards (a single M-card will do both tuners)
Thanks - lately I open my mouth ONLY to change FEET

At least this time I got one right
Old 01-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #7039
CorrysD

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll look into the DTA box option.
CorrysD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:38 PM   #7040
wingtsundummy

I have the comcast guy here now to install an MCard on my TivoHD.
He put the card in the correct slot and nothing happens on the Tivo. Isn't the paring info supposed to popup or something?

It sees the Mcard in the Cablecard decoders screen, but when you click on the cable card 1, it says something like "your cable company has not supplied any inforamtion about this..."

anyone know what is up?
wingtsundummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #7041
wingtsundummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingtsundummy View Post
He put the card in the correct slot and nothing happens on the Tivo. Isn't the paring info supposed to popup or something?

It sees the Mcard in the Cablecard decoders screen, but when you click on the cable card 1, it says something like "your cable company has not supplied any inforamtion about this..."

anyone know what is up?
If it matters, he is trying to use a motorola MCard...

Ok he just gave up called a fellow tech. The other tech will bring over his MCard and try it.

any advice?

do I need a reboot? I am on 11.0d firmware and I told the tivo to connect to the service earlier this AM.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:42 PM   #7042
bicker
Gruff

The key is to wait. It sometimes take quite a number of minutes before the information comes cup. If you interrupt, rumor is that bad things happen.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:43 PM   #7043
cjv2

Quote:
If it matters, he is trying to use a motorola MCard...

Ok he just gave up called a fellow tech. The other tech will bring over his MCard and try it.

any advice?

do I need a reboot? I am on 11.0d firmware and I told the tivo to connect to the service earlier this AM.
11.0d is the latest. I doubt that a reboot is at issue.

Quote:

anyone know what is up?
I seem to recall that when we put my M-Card in (also a Motorola), it took a few minutes for the Pairing info screen to properly populate so that he could call the info in for activation.

Anyway, when it does populate, that info will be found here:

TiVo Central -> Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> Configure CableCARD 1 (Multi-Stream) -> CableCARD Menu -> CableCARD(tm) Pairing

It might be worth getting Tivo support on the phone while the tech is actually there if you continue to have problems and need to determine whether it's the card or the TivoHD.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:51 PM   #7044
jkuter

Reboot

Reboot with the cable card in. The same thing happened to me and that fixed the issue. The screen popped up after the reboot was complete.

Quote:

anyone know what is up?

jkuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #7045
wingtsundummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bicker View Post
The key is to wait. It sometimes take quite a number of minutes before the information comes cup. If you interrupt, rumor is that bad things happen.
he did seem impatient and poped the card out after a minute or two

any idea on time? 1min? 5 mins? etc?

Also to understand, should we have to do anything after he puts the card in to see the pairing info? navigate/press any buttons? or does it automatically just change the screen?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:55 PM   #7046
wingtsundummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
11.0d is the latest. I doubt that a reboot is at issue.

I seem to recall that when we put my M-Card in (also a Motorola), it took a few minutes for the Pairing info screen to properly populate so that he could call the info in for activation.

Anyway, when it does populate, that info will be found here:

TiVo Central -> Messages & Settings -> Settings -> Remote, CableCARD, & Devices -> CableCARD Decoder -> Configure CableCARD 1 (Multi-Stream) -> CableCARD Menu -> CableCARD(tm) Pairing

It might be worth getting Tivo support on the phone while the tech is actually there if you continue to have problems and need to determine whether it's the card or the TivoHD.
What is the best tivo support number to call?
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #7047
cjv2

Quote:
What is the best tivo support number to call?
866-986-8486.

You may also find this article on the Tivo support site of interest.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #7048
bicker
Gruff

Quote:
he did seem impatient and poped the card out after a minute or two

any idea on time? 1min? 5 mins? etc?
It typically took me less than 3 minutes, but I would give it 5 minutes, for sure, before I being thinking that it isn't working.

Quote:
Also to understand, should we have to do anything after he puts the card in to see the pairing info? navigate/press any buttons? or does it automatically just change the screen?
It just pops up.

bicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #7049
wingtsundummy

the second guy showed up with a different MCard

This card installed okay. Stuff happened when he put it in to the machine. It autorebooted with in 30 secs. The pairing info displayed Everything seems fine now

thanks for all who pitched ideas during my hour of need

Last edited by wingtsundummy : 01-14-2010 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #7050
wingtsundummy

it looks like I have to run the guided setup again now that the cablecard is installed.

Hope I wont loose any season passes

Edit: I did not loose any recordings or season passes

Last edited by wingtsundummy : 01-14-2010 at 02:41 PM.