TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 09-13-2009, 07:34 AM   #1021
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickvz View Post
I am glad to hear that someone here in SC has a working system. The tech came by my house a couple of times this afternoon and is determined to help figure it out. He brought out a Moxi box when he came the last time so that I can at least view programs. When we tried running Guided Setup after installing a new cablecard the TiVo didn't seem to make any progress. It remained on the Preparing stage for 30 or more minutes. He installed the Moxi and will plan to call and set up a time to return Tuesday. If I don't have to speak with Charter phone "support" I will be happy to work through it over several days.

I unplugged the TiVo and will try rerunning Guided setup and see what happens. Since he's tried three cards now and it is doing the same thing I wonder if there could be something in the TiVo itself causing the issue.
Re-running guided setup will not make a difference. Never do it with a tech there as they will surely want to leave. Just use the test channels feature in the settings to see if the channels are coming in on the correct channels. I live in the same area and the channels updated a midnight the day Charter said they would. Have you tried having Charter install a cablebox and see if you get the same channels as your TiVo? I assume they have tried switching out cablecards? If the cable box gets the correct channels and your TiVo doesn't, then the issue is at the headend.
rainwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 08:37 AM   #1022
Rickvz
TiVoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Have you tried having Charter install a cablebox and see if you get the same channels as your TiVo? I assume they have tried switching out cablecards? If the cable box gets the correct channels and your TiVo doesn't, then the issue is at the headend.
The Moxi box the tech brought out is receiving all of the channels correctly and the tech has tried three cablecards. The problem is the same with each, the channels are coming in on the old channel numbers. None of the new channels are being received and the diagnostics show that no signal is being received on the new channels. The person at the headend who tried to activate the card was the same one that was able to set up the card when I bought the Tivo a couple of years ago. It took three tech visits back then to get it working but I have never received any new channels they added since then.

Any decent chance that there could be a problem in the TiVo hardware? Perhaps in the cablecard connection?
Rickvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 07:07 PM   #1023
rbendorf

Charter Update w/Tivo HD

I got a new Tivo HD last week and contacted Charter to bring out an M-Card. On 16 Sept the tech arrived w/card and began the installation. At the time I had most channels and was told within a matter of hour the whole system should be up an running. On the 18th I still did not have about 30+ channels and call tech spt. agian. They sent out another tech with an new M-Card. I was told at that time that it would take 72 hours to get everything up and running. Yesterday I called tech spt. again and had them sent a reset (hit), which brought up most channels, but 196 (BBC America) was missing. Today a tech stopped by for the3rd try. After calling into another Sr. Tech they finally ascertained that the M-Card info was improperly inputted to the main system. After updating the main system with the proper info (on the Charter pop up screen), I now have BBC America. So it was not the Tivo, nor was it the M-Card, but Charter improperly set up the system at their end and that caused the problem. I hope the tech I had here today documents the problem, because it may save a lot of other customers many head aches.
rbendorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #1024
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbendorf View Post
I got a new Tivo HD last week and contacted Charter to bring out an M-Card. On 16 Sept the tech arrived w/card and began the installation. At the time I had most channels and was told within a matter of hour the whole system should be up an running. On the 18th I still did not have about 30+ channels and call tech spt. agian. They sent out another tech with an new M-Card. I was told at that time that it would take 72 hours to get everything up and running. Yesterday I called tech spt. again and had them sent a reset (hit), which brought up most channels, but 196 (BBC America) was missing. Today a tech stopped by for the3rd try. After calling into another Sr. Tech they finally ascertained that the M-Card info was improperly inputted to the main system. After updating the main system with the proper info (on the Charter pop up screen), I now have BBC America. So it was not the Tivo, nor was it the M-Card, but Charter improperly set up the system at their end and that caused the problem. I hope the tech I had here today documents the problem, because it may save a lot of other customers many head aches.
Yeah, and telling you it may take 72 hours is a bunch of BS. If it doesn't authorize the channels within 5 minutes it will not magically work after that. The only issue I have seen with taking a long time is if the person at Charter who authorizes the card doesn't close out their screen. It doesn't seem to take affect until then. Mapping errors like yours are rare. In general CableCards are mapped the same as cable boxes.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 AM   #1025
swing56

ckoble charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckoble View Post
I received my S3 a couple of days ago and scheduled an appointment today for CableCard installation from Charter Communications (Long Beach, Ca). The installer called me to ask what kind of TV the cards were to be installed in and I told him that it was a TiVo... he told me that TiVos were not supported. They only supported TVs. I convinced him to still come and "indulge" me. His supervisor called me and gave me the same story... I told him that I wanted them to come anyway.

So they show up and install the cards and they cannot acquire channels. I told him to leave the cards and I would troubleshoot myself.

Next I called TiVo, they indicated that the cards are not set up properly.

So I called Charter back and talked with a woman named Sophia. After spending about an hour on hold, she basically came back and said that the cards WERE set up properly and if I had a CableCard TV, they would prove it to me. The story they give is that the problem is with the TiVo and since TiVo was proprietary and they can't test it to make sure that the problem isn't the TiVo.

So now it has turned into a Charter blaming TiVo and TiVo blaming Charter.

Any ideas? Could this be Charter not wanting ts customers to use third party DVRs? Anyone else experience problems with Charter?

i called charter myself,i live in azusa the installer came out to hook up internet and a hd/pvr unit,got talking to him and he has a side thing going on with sevice and installs,he specializes in tivo sales and sevice,call him upcompany is moble works>323 697-0334,let me know the out come
swing56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:44 PM   #1026
mlcarson

Northern MI

Here's my experience so far. I had an appointment between 1:00-3:00pm on Christmas eve. A contractor for Charter arrived with a single cable card and told me that it wouldn't work right at the door since none of the installations have worked in the past 6 weeks. Apparently this was their only cable card and it hadn't been programmed properly.

The TivoHD was ready for installation with complete guide data and the latest software version. He plugged the card in, read the Host Id, Data, and card S/N to the dispatcher. It was recognized as an M-series card and had the following status:

Con: Yes; EBCP: Yes Val: V 0x01
Auth: MP CCI: 0x00 ? Epoch: 0x00

I assume the above means that the card is validated but not authorized.

The OOB channel was working. It had signal lock, a SNR of 23dB, and was able to receive a channel list. Message and VCT Record counters are increasing.

The card revisions were:
FW 02.26, -.-, 03.25
HW 0469927002
Firmware version: 0613

Diagnostics showed
Signal strength: 87-93
SNR: 35dB
Signal Lock: Y
Prog Lock: Y

The problem is that only unencrypted channels are coming in and the analog channels between 2-14. Not even the unencrypted analog channels from 15-69 were working. The unencrypted network HD channels were working however.

Is this really a card issue? Or is it just that somebody at the head office has something entered wrong? The provisioning people read the numbers back so they should be verified. The contractor left us with fewer channels than we had without the cable card.

We rescheduled an appoint on 12/26 but when they called to confirm they said they had no additional cards so we postponed the appointment until Monday 12/28 when they said more cards would be available.

I'm not a Tivo expert but have been through the whole process with Comcast multiple times. This seems more like a database issue than a bad card. Anybody in the know have any insights? I'm kind of suspecting tomorrow's appointment will either be a no-show or another contractor who doesn't know anything about cable cards or Tivo.
mlcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:50 PM   #1027
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlcarson View Post
Is this really a card issue? Or is it just that somebody at the head office has something entered wrong? The provisioning people read the numbers back so they should be verified. The contractor left us with fewer channels than we had without the cable card.
Honestly it sounds as if they do not have the right services associated to your card. It's "Possible" that it is the card itself but i am willing to bet that there are no services on the card in the billing system.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #1028
mlcarson

I just called their Canadian call center and had the numbers verified again and had them send any possible initialization/reset that they could. It made no difference. I think you're right about the services. I'm getting BASIC. Any channels on the BASIC tier are coming in regardless of their channel number. Nothing at any higher tier is coming in with the exception of HSN and CSPAN and I suspect they're probably supposed to be on BASIC rather than Expanded Basic.

Called the call center again -- they say the billing record appears to be associated correctly to the card so I guess there's no quick solution before tomorrow's service call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Honestly it sounds as if they do not have the right services associated to your card. It's "Possible" that it is the card itself but i am willing to bet that there are no services on the card in the billing system.

Last edited by mlcarson : 12-27-2009 at 04:13 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:41 PM   #1029
mlcarson

Update

My appointment for today was for between 1-3pm and nobody showed. I called the call center and they tried to get a hold of the tech but also said that I had another appointment scheduled for 9-11am tomorrow that nobody in the house made. The call center eventually got a hold of a tech who said he could make it out after 4pm which turned out to be 5pm. While I had the call center on the line I figured I'd try one more time to get them to send a cold initialization to the card. The call center said they sent a reset/refresh and I explained that it wasn't the same and for them to look further into their system for this and that it would probably be restricted. The guy found it and obtained the capability to send it. The card started working about 45 seconds later.

Apparently Charter in this area sends their cards to a larger office in the area for pre-initialization so they don't have to deal with it in the field. Both the call center guy and the tech supposedly had never heard of the option to send a cold initialization to the card. I just find it hard to believe that they could actually do their jobs without this knowledge. How is an ordinary customer with a Tivo cable card install ever supposed to get it to work?

What's also kind of frustrating is that the tech who came out after I got it working told me that the previous tech who came out on 12/24 should have had extra cards because they were available. The followup call that was canceled on 12/26 because of lack of cards was also BS -- the tech pulled 1 out of his pocket and said they had been available before 12/24 and he had one from the weekend because he was on-call. So, cards and techs were available and the call center had the ability to fix it from the start by sending the right signal.

And as expected, I was fed BS by the dispatch people who said that there was no way I would get the expanded basic (digital/HD) channels without paying an additional fee for digital/HD on top of the cablecard. Any extra fees were for their receivers and the expanded basic service covered all variants of it.

So for the time being I'm out of Charter cable card hell. It's just a shame that customers cannot be given the correct numbers to call and simply pick up the cards themselves since the tech obviously doesn't add anything positive to the process and costs additional money. Or even better -- add the capability to the website.
Old 12-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #1030
swinca
Menace to society

This is exactly why I don't have cable. Charter is the cable company in my area and I refuse to deal with them. I would love to have Tivo HD, but as long as I live in Charter territory I'll stick with the Dish.

xbox gamertag: swinca
swinca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #1031
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinca View Post
This is exactly why I don't have cable. Charter is the cable company in my area and I refuse to deal with them. I would love to have Tivo HD, but as long as I live in Charter territory I'll stick with the Dish.
The issue with cablecards only happens on install. Rarely do people have issues with cablecards once they are setup correctly. I've had about 10 cablecards installed over the last few years. Only one of those installs went bad. Other than that, I have not had a single issue with Charter through my TiVos for the last few years.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #1032
dalawson

No luck after the first appointment

I had my first experience with Charter and cable cards yesterday. A tech was scheduled to come out between 10 and noon. He actually showed up early and started working at 9am! He came with two Mcards and installed both of them in the tivo HD and then called someone and gave them the host ID and data numbers. It looked like everything was going to be quick and painless. But then he tried channel 788 (Fox HD) and everything was pixelated. So he tried channel 8 (analog Fox) and it was also pixelated. Every channel he tried was pixelated.

The tech told me that it was probably a bad tivo but said he would try two new cable cards. He went back to the warehouse and came back 15 min later with two new Mcards and they both had the same result. He again blamed the tivo and said that he would leave the cable cards behind so I could use them in the new tivo when I received it in the mail.

When the tech left, so I started to look through the cable card menus and saw in the network settings that the cable cards was "wait sync" and the number of messages received was not going up. So it looks like the cards were not configured correctly at the headend.

So I called charter support and they said a more experienced tech will be contacting me in the next 24-48 hours (24 hours has now passed). If the windchill wasn't -15 and there wasn't 2-3 ft of snow on the ground, I'd be up on the roof installing an antenna, but that's going to have to wait until everything thaws around here.
dalawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:51 AM   #1033
rainwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalawson View Post
He came with two Mcards and installed both of them in the tivo HD and then called someone and gave them the host ID and data numbers.
Why do you have two m-cards in a TiVo HD? That could cause problems and will only cost you more per month.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:36 AM   #1034
dalawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainwater View Post
Why do you have two m-cards in a TiVo HD? That could cause problems and will only cost you more per month.
I asked the same thing and the tech said it is charter's policy to always install two Mcards. It's probably in case one is bad, then they have a backup. But the tivo HD says that since the card in slot 1 is an Mcard, the card in slot 2 will be disabled. And they only charge me for one cable card ($2).

Edit: I was reading some earlier posts in this thread and I saw that some people weren't able to get the cable cards to work in the tivo until after they removed the charter dvr from their account. I still have a moxi box connected to another tv, could this cause a problem?

Edit #2: You really have to keep charter honest. I did not receive a call yet from Charter so I called them and asked if I could be refunded for the service call yesterday since the cableCard doesn't work and the more experienced tech never contacted me. So I was transferred to level 2 support who saw a note on my account to have someone contact me, but the form was never submitted to dispatch. So now my order has been submitted and the agent escalated the request so I am tentatively scheduled for Mon (1/11), but hopefully should receive a call today or tomorrow from dispatch to schedule the appointment.

Last edited by dalawson : 01-08-2010 at 01:51 PM. Reason: ask a new question
Old 01-08-2010, 02:59 PM   #1035
SJPstl

I had Charter out on Monday to install cable cards in a brand new TiVo HD. I was dreading it but it actually worked out fine. They were on time and the cards worked.

The tech admitted that they don't work with the cards very much and he seemed to have never worked with a TiVo at all.

After he put the cards in and wrote down all the numbers, he went back out to his van to enter the numbers on his laptop and call in. While he was doing that, I started fiddling around with the TiVo and determined that I now had all my channels. He came back in thinking he was missing a particular number and wanted to pull the cards and start over. I convinced him that everything appeared fine and he left.

To my great surprise and relief, the whole thing lasted maybe 30-45 minutes.
SJPstl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 02:42 AM   #1036
keyzone72

Series 3 Tivo & Tuner Adapter woes in Whittier, CA

Hi everyone,

I live in Whittier, CA (located in southern California), and Charter is my cable company. I have three Tivo Series 3 HD DVR's with 2 cable cards in each unit. All the channels in my package used to work just fine. In the late summer, I received a letter from Charter informing me that a tuining adapter would need to be installed later in 2009 in order to keep receiving my channels, as well as to be prepared for upcoming new channels. Then in November, some of my channels no longer came through. Some were in standard definaition, some were in HD.

To cut to the chase, the cable cards and tuning adapters are installed and activated, but more channels aren't working. According to Charter, the cards are activated as well as the tuning adapters. According to Tivo, the Tivo Series 3 is working.

The technician that came out said that they had tried getting a tuning adapter to work with another Charter customer who also used cable cards and a Tivo Series 3, but that they couldn't get it to work. But they did say that the same customer also had a new generation Tivo (probably a TIVO HD or Tivo HD XL) that only uses one cable card and that they were able to get the tuning adapter working with that Tivo. Accoring to Tivo, the series 3 is 100% compatible with tuning adapters and cable cards.

Since this visit over 2 weeks ago, I still have missing channels. The Tivo's see the tuning adapters and the green light on the front of the tuning adapters stay lit in green. Apparently, this is supposed to mean the tuning adapters are activated and working. If any of you have any suggestions or help, please let me know.

Thanks.

Robert
keyzone72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #1037
mfigard

"cold initialization" are magic words

Grand Rapids, Michigan

Just moved in our new house and got the works from Charter. Internet, cable, phone.

The installer came out hooked up the phone and internet with no problems.

CableCard installation appeared to go smoothly in that the MCard was accepted and the Charter Tech on the phone could see it.

We checked the channels and I only had 1-20. Everything above 20 was gray. I told the installer that it looked like the card wasn't configure properly. He talked to the tech on the phone and confirmed that I had all access right that I was supposed to. They "reset" the card and we restarted the TIVO. Still nothing. They decided that the card just needed to download its information. I am an Electrical Engineer and that just didn't sound right to me. It should either work or not work. The installer and tech messed around with it for about half an hour and the installer said to give it some time.

I gave it until that night. Still no channels. I found this great forum and read a bit. Next, I called Charter and asked them if they were using Switched Digital Video. I might as well have asked if they could explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity. I got no where. I mentioned the possibility of needing a tuning adapter. They didn't know what that was but said they would send a tech out with a digital box and if this tech could fix it.

When the installer and the box showed up, I knew it wasn't what I needed since it was a Motorola digital tuner and there was no USB input for the TIVO to talk to. I told the tech this, but he decided he wanted to mess around with it. 45 minutes later, I told him that I would do some research and see what I could figure out. He left the box so we could have all of our channels until I figured out the problem.

I came back to this forum, saw the words "cold initialization". I called Charter, told the tech I need a "cold initialization" of my CableCard. He was skeptical, but did it anyway. We rebooted the TIVO and sure enough I had all my channels.

Tell them you need a "Cold Initialization" as one of the first things you do. My area obviously hasn't migrated to SDV so I look forward to pain again when that happens.
mfigard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:59 PM   #1038
rallykeeper

Charter in SoCal is among the Worst!

Robert:

There's a whole thread on Charter in Southern California with the exact same set of problems. We've all been having this issue. It would be interesting to know whether this issue is true for every one of your CableCards on the same TiVo. (I personally have one CableCard on each of my two TiVo Series 3's working).

Maybe everyone could also start posting which channels are missing to see if there's any commonality. (My missing channels actually changed recently to a different set).

Of course, in my own neighborhood in Pasadena, the cable has been out for over 36 hours, so I can't even test which channels are working.

Tech is coming for his 4th visit this Saturday.

Gotta love Charter!

(I've had a TiVo for close to 10 years, but the Tuning Adapter fiasco and Charter, has made me seriously question whether I can put up with this for much longer. If only DirecTV and TiVo would finish up on their new box!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyzone72 View Post
Hi everyone,

I live in Whittier, CA (located in southern California), and Charter is my cable company. I have three Tivo Series 3 HD DVR's with 2 cable cards in each unit. All the channels in my package used to work just fine. In the late summer, I received a letter from Charter informing me that a tuining adapter would need to be installed later in 2009 in order to keep receiving my channels, as well as to be prepared for upcoming new channels. Then in November, some of my channels no longer came through. Some were in standard definaition, some were in HD.

To cut to the chase, the cable cards and tuning adapters are installed and activated, but more channels aren't working. According to Charter, the cards are activated as well as the tuning adapters. According to Tivo, the Tivo Series 3 is working.

The technician that came out said that they had tried getting a tuning adapter to work with another Charter customer who also used cable cards and a Tivo Series 3, but that they couldn't get it to work. But they did say that the same customer also had a new generation Tivo (probably a TIVO HD or Tivo HD XL) that only uses one cable card and that they were able to get the tuning adapter working with that Tivo. Accoring to Tivo, the series 3 is 100% compatible with tuning adapters and cable cards.

Since this visit over 2 weeks ago, I still have missing channels. The Tivo's see the tuning adapters and the green light on the front of the tuning adapters stay lit in green. Apparently, this is supposed to mean the tuning adapters are activated and working. If any of you have any suggestions or help, please let me know.

Thanks.

Robert

rallykeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 01:31 PM   #1039
keyzone72

[quote=rallykeeper;7721771]Robert:

There's a whole thread on Charter in Southern California with the exact same set of problems. We've all been having this issue. It would be interesting to know whether this issue is true for every one of your CableCards on the same TiVo. (I personally have one CableCard on each of my two TiVo Series 3's working).

QUOTE]

Can you please provide me wit ht elink for Southern California Charter/Tivo users on this issue?

And to answer your question, yes, all three of my Tivo Series 3 DVR's each have 2 cable cards installed. The missing channels problem is the same on all three units.

Robert
Old 01-16-2010, 04:25 PM   #1040
dalawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalawson View Post
I asked the same thing and the tech said it is charter's policy to always install two Mcards. It's probably in case one is bad, then they have a backup. But the tivo HD says that since the card in slot 1 is an Mcard, the card in slot 2 will be disabled. And they only charge me for one cable card ($2).

Edit: I was reading some earlier posts in this thread and I saw that some people weren't able to get the cable cards to work in the tivo until after they removed the charter dvr from their account. I still have a moxi box connected to another tv, could this cause a problem?

Edit #2: You really have to keep charter honest. I did not receive a call yet from Charter so I called them and asked if I could be refunded for the service call yesterday since the cableCard doesn't work and the more experienced tech never contacted me. So I was transferred to level 2 support who saw a note on my account to have someone contact me, but the form was never submitted to dispatch. So now my order has been submitted and the agent escalated the request so I am tentatively scheduled for Mon (1/11), but hopefully should receive a call today or tomorrow from dispatch to schedule the appointment.
After 7 cableCards failed, I called back Tivo and they kept telling me my signal was too strong and that was the problem. I put in a 4-way splitter to knock down the signal and still had the problems. The third Tivo agent allowed an exchange. Got the new Tivo yesterday and had the 4th charter tech out to the house and when he first plugged in the cable card it still didn't work (but no pixelation)! So he called back to verify the numbers and poof it worked! It took two weeks, but I finally have my digital channels!

Turns out charter was right all along though, it was a defective Tivo and Tivo kept blaming charter.
Old 01-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #1041
keyzone72

Still no luck getting Tivo Series 3 working w/a Cisco tuning adapter & Charter cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfigard View Post

I came back to this forum, saw the words "cold initialization". I called Charter, told the tech I need a "cold initialization" of my CableCard. He was skeptical, but did it anyway. We rebooted the TIVO and sure enough I had all my channels.

Tell them you need a "Cold Initialization" as one of the first things you do. My area obviously hasn't migrated to SDV so I look forward to pain again when that happens.
When I read the above poster's experience on requesting a "Cold Inititialization" to wake up the cable cards, I thought that'd be worth trying out. I called Charter and when I requested this, the person on the tech line told me that a cold initialization could only be executed for Charter issued cable boxes...

HUH?

I told the person that another Charter customer had requested this for their cable cards and that after doing it, all his channels came through (post a Tivo reboot). I was then told that they literally did not have that option on the computer.

So the next thing they tried was to "send a baud hit:"

No change.

Then they asked me to unplug the Tivo for 40 mins while they sent a cable card revalidation signal. Upon bootup, and going to a live tv channel, I got the spinning "ying/yang" circle indicating it was updating the channels and I thought it might soon work. When it was done, there was no change.

This is geting really frustrating....
Old 01-19-2010, 08:57 PM   #1042
Spiff72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfigard View Post
Grand Rapids, Michigan

Just moved in our new house and got the works from Charter. Internet, cable, phone.

The installer came out hooked up the phone and internet with no problems.

CableCard installation appeared to go smoothly in that the MCard was accepted and the Charter Tech on the phone could see it.

We checked the channels and I only had 1-20. Everything above 20 was gray. I told the installer that it looked like the card wasn't configure properly. He talked to the tech on the phone and confirmed that I had all access right that I was supposed to. They "reset" the card and we restarted the TIVO. Still nothing. They decided that the card just needed to download its information. I am an Electrical Engineer and that just didn't sound right to me. It should either work or not work. The installer and tech messed around with it for about half an hour and the installer said to give it some time.

I gave it until that night. Still no channels. I found this great forum and read a bit. Next, I called Charter and asked them if they were using Switched Digital Video. I might as well have asked if they could explain Einstein's Theory of Relativity. I got no where. I mentioned the possibility of needing a tuning adapter. They didn't know what that was but said they would send a tech out with a digital box and if this tech could fix it.

When the installer and the box showed up, I knew it wasn't what I needed since it was a Motorola digital tuner and there was no USB input for the TIVO to talk to. I told the tech this, but he decided he wanted to mess around with it. 45 minutes later, I told him that I would do some research and see what I could figure out. He left the box so we could have all of our channels until I figured out the problem.

Just curious - did you specifically request the M-Card, or are all the cablecards with Charter M-cards now?

I am looking at adding another Tivo, and want an M-card (not 2 S-cards). I am in Michigan too - but near the lakeshore, and we are on the Allendale system.

Thanks
Jeff
Spiff72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 02:51 PM   #1043
keyzone72

"Cold Initialization" didn't work for me

Quote:
I called Charter and when I requested this, the person on the tech line told me that a cold initialization could only be executed for Charter issued cable boxes...
Well yesterday I called back Charter and was able to get a supervisor to send a "Cold Initialization" command to all my cable cards. (I knew the previous person I talked to was wrong!). After the command was received, the Tivo's automatically switched to the screen informing me that a Tuning Adapter has been found and to configure it. After a brief spinning of the "ying/yang" channel configuration, I still am missing lots of SD and HD channels.

Are there any Charter customers using with a Tivo Series 3, dual M-Stream cable cards, a Cisco tuning adapter and are successfully receiving all thier channels?

Last edited by keyzone72 : 01-21-2010 at 02:56 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:33 PM   #1044
ScaryMike

Notes:
I made sure my Tivo had the latest software (11.x) the day before by forcing 3 connections to the tivo service and rebooting.
NO SDV in Madison (as of yet)

Cable tech showed up with a Multi-Steam card. (well, 2 of them, just in case).

We wrote down the serial number, inserted it in the Tivo and everything went as planned (initialization/pairing went fine). When we got to the channel test, I wasn't getting all my channels (but was getting some of the basic cable channels). After a call into charter by the tech, they got that cleared up.

I figured posting a successful installation would be useful, so people can see its not always bad!

one note: the cable card diagnostic screen that the cable person needs so he/she call in the numbers can time out! And when it did, it went to some alert about needing to re-do guided setup. I ignored it and went back to the diagnostic screen with no issues and it never repeated the warning. I would suggest you refresh the diagnostic screen every once in a while if its taking a long time for the tech to get through to his people.

Last edited by ScaryMike : 02-04-2010 at 02:50 PM.
ScaryMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #1045
keyzone72

I am back online! :)

Quote:
Are there any Charter customers using with a Tivo Series 3, dual M-Stream cable cards, a Cisco tuning adapter and are successfully receiving all thier channels?
As of February 4th, 2010, I am now able to receive all the SD/HD channels in my subscription package from Charter Cable here in Southern California. I am using three Tivo Series 3 units, 3 Cisco tuning adapters and 6 multi-stream cable cards. After calling into Charter Technical support, they informed me that they "fixed the tuning adapter" problem, but were unable to tell me what exactly they fixed. Just wanted to report that I am a lucky one that has everything working.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(ver 2.8)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(ver 1.31) running on WHS
Old 04-01-2010, 03:37 AM   #1046
Ddun55

Asheville, NC

I upgraded to a TiVoHD a few days ago and the same day I had gone into the local charter office to schedule an appointment to get a cable card activated so i could get rid of my cablebox. I asked if I could just grab a cable card while I was there so I could hook it up myself, but they said it had to be installed by a technician. They had an opening the next day between 9-11am.

I waited for them to come and at about 10:45 I got a call from someone at the office saying the tech was running late and would be there by 11:30. About 15 minutes later I got another call, this time an automated message saying I had an appointment scheduled between 12-1.

I waited around until around 1:15pm and called customer service and she said she would get in contact with the tech and call me back in 15 minutes or so. She called me back in around 15 minutes and said that the tech would be here within another 30 minutes (about 2:15). They went ahead and added a $20 credit on my account for my wait.

The tech still did not show up and I decided to go out and grab something to eat (because I knew I would get a phone call saying they were there). By 3pm, they still hadn't called or shown up so I called customer service again and told them about my long wait. The guy I talked to said he would call the office and get in contact with the tech to see what the holdup was and he would call me back in about 15 more minutes.

When he called back he said the tech would be here within 10 minutes and he would personally call back in about 10 minutes to make sure he showed up. About 5 minutes later, the tech finally got here and I got a call from the customer service guy making sure he had gotten here.

The technician got the cable card and tuning adaptor set up within about 10 minutes and was out the door by 3:45. So it took 6.5 hrs for him to get here to spend 10 minutes installing it and walking back out the door.

Last edited by Ddun55 : 04-04-2010 at 03:22 AM. Reason: added location
Ddun55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 PM   #1047
dwarner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotton168 View Post

Anyone else have Charter and has had their CCs work on their Tivos?
Works fine here in Atlanta.. There have been several failures, where certain channels stop working. They send people out to change the cards, then finally figure out it's a problem on the street or at the head end and fix it.

They never said Tivo wasn't supported, and never charged me anything.

In fact, I just got a letter from them today saying they're going to SDV, and since I'm a Tivo owner, they're supplying the tuning adapter and installation for free.
The last event (head end issue) required a Tivo rep on the phone with the Charter techs to sort it out.
dwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #1048
LucidSystems

Hi All,

I'm fairly new here but been lurking for a few months.

I have an interesting issue that I can't seem to resolve with Charter for one of our customers.

We are constantly seeing data in the Cisco CableCARDs Decrypt Fail Time status screen.

This is what it currently looks like:

=====================
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Decryption Fail Time
[Stream - Status - Time]
0-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
1-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
2-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
3-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
4-0-Never
5-0-Never
=====================

And this is what it should look like:

=====================
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Decryption Fail Time
[Stream - Status - Time]
0-0-Never
1-0-Never
2-0-Never
3-0-Never
4-0-Never
5-0-Never
=====================

All the signal levels and SNR are in the acceptable range and the CableCARDs are properly paired.

Every time I have contacted Charter they have indicated they don't have any other signals or hits to send to the CableCARDs other than to pair them. My question is, has anyone else seen this, and what have you done to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
LS
LucidSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:20 AM   #1049
GadgetVirtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidSystems View Post
Hi All,

I'm fairly new here but been lurking for a few months.

I have an interesting issue that I can't seem to resolve with Charter for one of our customers.

We are constantly seeing data in the Cisco CableCARDs Decrypt Fail Time status screen.

This is what it currently looks like:

=====================
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Decryption Fail Time
[Stream - Status - Time]
0-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
1-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
2-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
3-2-Aug 21 2013, 9:41:05 PM GMT
4-0-Never
5-0-Never
=====================

And this is what it should look like:

=====================
Cisco CableCARD(tm)
Decryption Fail Time
[Stream - Status - Time]
0-0-Never
1-0-Never
2-0-Never
3-0-Never
4-0-Never
5-0-Never
=====================

All the signal levels and SNR are in the acceptable range and the CableCARDs are properly paired.

Every time I have contacted Charter they have indicated they don't have any other signals or hits to send to the CableCARDs other than to pair them. My question is, has anyone else seen this, and what have you done to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
LS
Have you replaced the card? The card could simply be defective in some way.

|
Premier 4XL TiVo, TiVo Mini Apple TV, Roku in a Mac OS X Mountain Lion household.
GadgetVirtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:40 AM   #1050
LucidSystems

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetVirtuoso View Post
Have you replaced the card? The card could simply be defective in some way.
Hi Matt,

We have not yet tried to replace the CableCARD. Could it be the CableCARD causing the issue?

Thanks,
LS
LucidSystems is offline   Reply With Quote