TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-30-2009, 09:38 PM   #361
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by hengst2404 View Post
Wow, on the eve of receiving my cable cards and install from Time Warner in Socal, I am still a bit nervous. I hope I don't need to call upon this community's vast experience in getting my box to work with the cards.

P.S. richsadams - I stayed in Lake Oswego for about a week during the primary season of the campaign. Beautiful little community
99% of the time there are no problems. Been through it plenty of times and nary a glitch. People that have problems often find their way here...people that are happy generally don't rush to post positive experiences.

Yep, we really like it here...even when it's snowing up a storm like it did yesterday. (Although it took my wife 3 hours to drive 20 miles so she might not agree with that last bit. ) Welcome back any time and keep us posted on how things go.
richsadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #362
hengst2404

question

Okay one other question, the tivo hd xl comes loaded with version 9.4 of the software. Now I have only had my tivo hooked up and configured, minus the cable cards, for a few hours. My fear is that all the guides say to let the software update as much as possible before the cards arrive.

So my question is, if the tivo doesn't update its software beyond the version that came out of the box, will I still be able to configure the cable cards tomorrow? I have read all about how to manually connect and I understand that it still either may or may not connect between now and my appointment tomorrow. Just want to know if this may be a possible issue when the cable tech comes tomorrow.
hengst2404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 11:02 PM   #363
richsadams

Quote:
So my question is, if the tivo doesn't update its software beyond the version that came out of the box, will I still be able to configure the cable cards tomorrow? I have read all about how to manually connect and I understand that it still either may or may not connect between now and my appointment tomorrow. Just want to know if this may be a possible issue when the cable tech comes tomorrow.
You probably wouldn't have any issues installing cable cards with the older version. However an update may have already been downloaded. Have a look and see. Once the download has completed you will see "Pending restart" listed in the “Last Status” line on the Phone & Network Screen or on the System Information screen. TiVo will automatically install the upgrade at 2 a.m. your time. However you can reboot it (unplug it, wait about 10 seconds for the hard drive to spin down and plug it back in) and it will install the update immediately. Since you don't have 10 posts you won't see my text links to the screen shots, but here they are so you can copy and paste them into your browser (I know, stupid rule) ...

http://i10.tinypic.com/6kzrwwi.jpg
System Information Screen

http://i16.tinypic.com/85w4qk8.jpg
Phone and Network Screen

If "Pending Restart" doesn't appear you can force an update. Go to Messages & Settings->Settings->Phone & Network->Connect now. If it downloads an update the loading process will usually take a while (15 minutes or more sometimes). If it doesn't download the update try connecting again a few times. Eventually the update should download. Again, once you see "Pending Restart" on one of the screens mentioned above, you can power cycle TiVo and it will automatically update. But if it doesn't update, it shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy!
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 PM   #364
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by richsadams View Post
If "Pending Restart" doesn't appear you can force an update. Go to Messages & Settings->Settings->Phone & Network->Connect now. If it downloads an update the loading process will usually take a while (15 minutes or more sometimes). If it doesn't download the update try connecting again a few times. Eventually the update should download. Again, once you see "Pending Restart" on one of the screens mentioned above, you can power cycle TiVo and it will automatically update. But if it doesn't update, it shouldn't be a problem.

Enjoy!
Just to chime in, I did have to do the "Connect Now" option a few times before it finally downloaded the version 11 software update. I made sure that was done before they showed up with the cable cards.

(not that it did much good in my case but I'm sure you'll have better luck)
Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 PM   #365
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Best of luck in any case and keep us posted...you'll deserve a medal after all of this!
I'd say my Comcast tech deserves the medal. He's visited so much, I invited him to my family's Christmas gathering.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:24 PM   #366
hengst2404

Hey thanks guys I am going to try all that you have suggested, starting with having just done a connection as we speak. I am just trying to get everything perfect before my time warner tech gets here tomorrow. I have had about a 75-25 success rate with time warner in the area of service out here. Usually, well more often than not the techs i have had come have been pretty smart folks. So I will cross my fingers for an additional time.

I am sure Rich that I will hit that minimum 10 posts soon enough. In the interim, I just found out that my Mom also purchased me a year's service for my box. Problem was, she actually created an account and activated it. Now I have to wait for her to find her account info as I need it to set up the netflix and amazon unbox stuff. It was either that or cancel it and then re-set it under my account, which seemed like a pain.

Apparently they don't have any type of mechanism for transferring her account or her device to my account.

EDIT: Well, she found her info and I was at least able to change it over to my info so I can take care of any issues that crop up with this device. I turned the TV on this morning and everything seems to be great now, I have officially started the 2 hour window of waiting for the tech.

Last edited by hengst2404 : 12-31-2009 at 11:02 AM.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #367
hengst2404

Well I am hesitant to declare victory, but the contractor (not a Time Warner Tech) came out and had 6 M cards. He only used one and knew what he was doing. He said that pretty much all of his jobs from Time Warner out here involved installing cable cards.

He inserted the card called up and everything appears to be working. He said that out here as long as the thing is handled properly during the card installation it should always be that easy. Well we shall see, but for now I am happy. He didn't know anything about SDV tuners and obviously didn't have one. I shall have to see if there are any SDV channels out here yet. If so the website claims I can actually just go down the road to the store and get one directly from Time Warner.
Old 12-31-2009, 01:36 PM   #368
richsadams

Quote:
Well I am hesitant to declare victory, but the contractor (not a Time Warner Tech) came out and had 6 M cards. He only used one and knew what he was doing. He said that pretty much all of his jobs from Time Warner out here involved installing cable cards.
Excellent news! Thanks for reporting back...a lot of folks just disappear when there aren't any issues. The tech is correct, if things are good now, there's no reason to think that will change going forward. Also if SDV was being employed in your area he would almost certainly be aware of it.

So welcome to the club and enjoy!!
Old 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #369
EvanG

Hi, first time posting in a long while. Bought a Tivo HD for switching back to cable from DirecTV, and instillation was today (TWC, Los Angeles). The technician was only given one M card, it didn't work when installed, and he said he couldn't get any more today. Trying again tomorrow...
EvanG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #370
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanG View Post
Hi, first time posting in a long while. Bought a Tivo HD for switching back to cable from DirecTV, and instillation was today (TWC, Los Angeles). The technician was only given one M card, it didn't work when installed, and he said he couldn't get any more today. Trying again tomorrow...
Welcome back! More often than not cable cards will be fine, but there are plenty of stories here and on other forums about techs having to go through as many as a dozen cable cards before finding one that works. Hopefully the tech will bring a handful of them when he or she returns.

Let us know how it goes!
Old 01-05-2010, 10:18 PM   #371
EvanG

Quote:
Welcome back! More often than not cable cards will be fine, but there are plenty of stories here and on other forums about techs having to go through as many as a dozen cable cards before finding one that works. Hopefully the tech will bring a handful of them when he or she returns.
Gah, I sure hope so. I should have read this first and asked the operator to be sure the tech had multiple. Like hengst2404's experience, the technician was a contractor, not an official Time Warner installer. He seemed pretty annoyed with the office for only sending him one, and he said that he thought it wouldn't work.

Unfortunately, this will be our third instillation appointment--Monday they were about to come when they found out I hadn't set up the TiVo yet, and the guy refused to come out and wait while my wife set it up (she took off Monday for that and the phone). I took off from work this afternoon to get this done, and really frustrated it was for naught. I told them there was no way my wife and I were using more vacation time to wait around tomorrow, so they're coming late...hopefully the first time will work, so we don't have a dinner guest!
Old 01-06-2010, 02:14 AM   #372
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanG View Post
...hopefully the first time will work, so we don't have a dinner guest!
Hey, maybe you can get him to pay for take out!
Old 01-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #373
EvanG

Yay--I have TiVo HD again! Thankfully the first card the tech tried tonight worked. I had to switch the video output from 480, though .

First got TiVo in 2005 when I bought the old DirecTV SD TiVo, then got the HR10-250. I was really depressed when DirecTV did the switch to their HD DVR. Happy to be back.
Old 01-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #374
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

The (brand) new TivoHD is scheduled for delivery this friday. I'm going to set it up, upgrade the software, etc. then email the pairing info to my tech. He's going to have HQ send a hit to the cable card and if it takes (including encrypted and movie channels I subscribe to), we'll be done. If it doesn't take, he'll come back to the house.

Here's hoping I don't see him again.
Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 PM   #375
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooterboy View Post

Here's hoping I don't see him again.
Is that the way you treat your dedicated tech friend
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 AM   #376
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Is that the way you treat your dedicated tech friend
Do you really not know what I meant?

Wait - let me put it in terms you'll understand:

Do YOU really not KNOW what I MEANT?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:27 AM   #377
drhankz

Quote:
Do you really not know what I meant?

Wait - let me put it in terms you'll understand:

Do YOU really not KNOW what I MEANT?
I'm NOT as Dumb as I seem - Yes I know what you
meant and the terrible ordeal you and your Comcast
Tech have gone through.

Good luck with your NEW TiVo - have fun this weekend.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:37 AM   #378
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Thanks! I wasn't implying that you were dumb - I was just having a little fun with you because I noticed you like to put some of your words in uppercase.

No harm intended.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #379
drhankz

Quote:
Thanks! I wasn't implying that you were dumb - I was just having a little fun with you because I noticed you like to put some of your words in uppercase.

No harm intended.
I also recognized your sense of humor - I knew
what you meant in post 376 & 378
Old 01-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #380
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
The (brand) new TivoHD is scheduled for delivery this friday. I'm going to set it up, upgrade the software, etc. then email the pairing info to my tech. He's going to have HQ send a hit to the cable card and if it takes (including encrypted and movie channels I subscribe to), we'll be done. If it doesn't take, he'll come back to the house.
Well the new unit is installed. I've updated the software to current, downloaded the schedule info, and then installed the cable card. Signal strength varies between 93-100, depending on channel.

I emailed all of the pairing info to the tech, and now I'll wait for them to send a hit to the card. Fingers are crossed.
Old 01-09-2010, 03:49 AM   #381
richsadams

Quote:
Well the new unit is installed. I've updated the software to current, downloaded the schedule info, and then installed the cable card. Signal strength varies between 93-100, depending on channel.

I emailed all of the pairing info to the tech, and now I'll wait for them to send a hit to the card. Fingers are crossed.
Fingers crossed here!
Old 01-09-2010, 08:03 AM   #382
drhankz

Quote:
now I'll wait for them to send a hit
Just in case they Don't HIT you - I'm local - I can come buy and HIT YOU

BEST WISHES - you have suffered enough.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:26 PM   #383
richsadams

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
Just in case they Don't HIT you - I'm local - I can come buy and HIT YOU
ROFLMA! I'm betting he needs a smile right about now.
Old 01-09-2010, 08:12 PM   #384
drhankz

Quote:
ROFLMA! I'm betting he needs a smile right about now.
Why hasn't Scooter Boy checked in HERE yet to say it is all working
Old 01-10-2010, 12:22 AM   #385
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Because it's not...yet.

I emailed my tech late last night, and I haven't heard back from him yet that he called in the pairing info. So I'm assuming he hasn't done it yet.

I am getting digital channels including HD, but not all of them. The ones that are in an upper tier as well as HBO channels (both of which I subscribe to) are not coming in yet. Going to those channels simply results in the Cable Card Pairing Info screen to come up (is that normal?)

Still this is farther than I've gotten before. In the Conditional Access screen I'm getting VAL:? and AUTH: CAD, so I believe they haven't sent a signal to the cable card yet.

I remain hopeful.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #386
richsadams

Quote:
I am getting digital channels including HD, but not all of them. The ones that are in an upper tier as well as HBO channels (both of which I subscribe to) are not coming in yet. Going to those channels simply results in the Cable Card Pairing Info screen to come up (is that normal?)
That exact same situation happened to us when we first got VZ FIOS. The tech checked a few channels before leaving but when I started scrolling through them all, the higher-end HD channels were missing (including HBO, Showtime, etc). I think I just got a "Channel Unavailable" screen though.

In any case I had to call VZ and spend some time on the phone while they got things ironed out. Once they did whatever it is they did on their end, I rebooted TiVo and all was well.

So it sounds very promising. Perhaps the tech did do what he was supposed to do but it didn't "take"? I'd shoot him another e-mail or call the tech folks to see if they can resolve it.

Best of luck...we're all pulling for you!
Old 01-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #387
drhankz

Quote:
Because it's not...yet.

I emailed my tech late last night,
I think you need some PHONE time to complete the process.

Good Luck for making it farther than before.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:19 PM   #388
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Just got an email from my tech - he had them send the hit to the cable card around noon today (EST). I won't get home until about 9pm tonight so we'll see what I get at that time.
Old 01-11-2010, 02:18 PM   #389
drhankz

Quote:
Just got an email from my tech - he had them send the hit to the cable card around noon today (EST). I won't get home until about 9pm tonight so we'll see what I get at that time.
OH NO - the Anticipation is KILLING ALL OF US

Hurry Up Home.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:03 PM   #390
richsadams

Quote:
Chewing fingernails...singing "Anticipation"...scaring small animals...trust that it will work!