TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM   #31
Donny Bahama

Update

I got a call from TiVo Executive Relations regarding the email I sent yesterday. I reiterated my point that this is a known issue, and as such, they should not be charging me the exchange fee.

They are replacing my Tivo HD at no cost. Free shipping. Free return shipping of my old unit.

For anyone else who encounters this problem, stick to your guns. DEMAND that they replace it at no cost. If you need to, escalate this from the top-down (instead of bottom-up). Email format at TiVo is first initial + last name (@tivo.com) - and the CEO's name is not hard to find. (GIYF.)

I still think it's asinine for them to exchange units that have a configuration (rather than a hardware) issue, and I sent a follow-up message to a few of their (engineering) VPs to that effect. Hopefully they'll fix this in a near future software update and those of you currently abiding with component will be able to use HDMI again.
Donny Bahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:37 PM   #32
conjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettlyman View Post
Could it be that when you connect the component cables the unit is changing the output format to something not supported by your HDMI TV?
I had a tv in my den hooked up via hdmi and a 'series 3 tivo'. I bought a new tv to replace the one in the den and moved the den tv to my bedroom which has a 'tivo hd' and hooked the transferred tv to the tivo hd via hdmi just like it was im my den. The old den tv that is now hooked up in my bedroom would not work via hdmi but will work via component. I called tivo and they blamed it on the tv. I informed them that the series 3 worked fine with the hdmi hook up but the tivo hd would not. He had no answer and I kept telling him that it's the tivvo hd. Now that I've read the previous issues with hdmi and the tivo hd I'm even more convinced it's the tivo hd. I too will be requesting another tivo hd.
conjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 05:50 PM   #33
Donny Bahama

@conjoe - Did you notice if the HDMI works initially after restarting the TiVo HD? (I.e. The Welcome screen displays via HDMI but once you get past that, the HDMI output stops working?)
Donny Bahama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:32 AM   #34
marley_fisher

HDMI Audio Fix... for me

After purchasing the HD Tivo I intially had Component video and audio cables running the Tivo. I decided to change to HDMI and do the single cable thing which intially worked great. After a few hours of watching it it suddenly stopped transmitting audio but I could still see the picture. Tried a ton of troubleshooting things (rebooting, testing other HDMI ports, etc) without any intial luck. Switched back to Component and all was working again.

Chatted with Tivo Support and they had me go under Messages and Settings/Audio and toggle the from Dolby Digital to PCM. After I switched that out the HDMI audio started working great.

Not a fix for all the issues listed in this thread - but wanted to share my story with what I ran into with it.
marley_fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 01:05 PM   #35
gweempose

Unfortunately, I just joined the club. For no apparent reason, the HDMI output stopped working properly on my XL. If I do a hard reboot, I can sometimes get it to come back for a while, but ultimately it disappears again. Like others in this same situation, the HDMI output had been functioning perfectly for more than a year. The TiVo is hooked up directly to a Samsung LN40A650. The only other device connected to this television is a Wii through component cables. For the record, all three of my other TiVos (two S3s and a THD) are working perfectly through HDMI, and are connected as follows...

S3 -> Denon receiver -> Pioneer PRO-151FD
S3 -> Sony KDS-R60XBR1
THD -> Sony KDL-55XBR8
gweempose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #36
sabrams1

Loose HDMI jack is the problem for me

I agree with brettlyman, same thing happens to me if I push the hdmi code hard into the back of the tivo and lift it up I instantally get a picture via hdmi even thought I still have component connected up. Looks like the hdmi jack is now loose to the point that the pins don't touch anymore without help.

- Scott
(Just my two cents worth)

Quote:
UPDATE: I got my HDMI to work -- it appears the port is just loose or something.

With a second TV connected via component, I went to System Information and on the second page where it has "HDMI Status" I saw that it kept switching from "HDCP enabled" to "HDCP not enabled" erratically. So, leaving it on that screen, I just kept fiddling with the HDMI cable in the back until it stayed on "HDCP enabled", and then my other TV came on.

This happened with two different HDMI cables, the 35ft one and the brand new 10ft cable. So the problem is not the cable, it's the HDMI port.

At least that's my situation. I'm just glad I got it working...now I'm not going to touch it! I'll probably have to have an electrical repairman fix the port if possible...

sabrams1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:01 AM   #37
dizziness

Quote:
For those that have HDMI working on the Welcome screen but not afterwards, have you tried changing the output format using the button on the front of the unit?
Ten minutes into the Superbowl my unit began exhibiting dropouts and eventually failed all together. I too have the opening Welcome screen but lose output afterwards. Component output is working for now.

I tried toggling the output format with no success.
dizziness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #38
fillingr

My problem was cable/connector related

I ran into the "HDMI suddenly not working" problem with my Series 3 a couple of days ago. After wasting several hours unsuccessfully trying everything I could think of, including contacting TiVo (who advised me to disconnect my external hard drive of all things!), I gave up and switched to a component/optical connection. Then I came across this thread and saw that several people found that pushing up on their HDMI cable helped, so I gave that a try and it worked! I brought up the system status screen and it said, as expected, that HDMI was not connected even though the cable was in fact connected. I then pushed up on the connector while my wife watched the screen. If I pushed up a little, it would toggle repeatedly between "not connected" and "HDCP not enabled"; if I pushed up even more, it went to "HDCP enabled." (note that I have the TiVo running through a receiver that can handle both HDMI and component inputs, and will auto-switch between them with HDMI given priority, so this made it easy to watch as it switched from "not connected" to "HDCP enabled").

For now, I wedged something under the HDMI cable connector to put upward pressure on it (I actually used doubled-up pieces of foam pipe insulation wrapped around the cable--talk about a low-tech solution! About the only thing I'm missing is duct tape.). This seems to be keeping the HDMI working for now, but eventually I'll guess I'll have to send it in for repair. I'm thinking maybe the constant downward pull of the HDMI cable (my TiVo is on the top shelf) weakened the solder joints for the connector. I had something similar happen to a connector on a receiver a few years back, and the only fix was to have it resoldered. The idiotic non-locking design of the HDMI connector certainly doesn't help, nor does the fact that I have a pretty heavy HDMI cable basically just hanging there. But I bet this never would've happened if the connector actually locked to the back of the jack like DVI, VGA, and almost every other connector ever devised by man. What were the guys who developed the HDMI connector standard thinking?????

Thanks a lot to the guys who mentioned pushing up on the cable, and good luck to everyone dealing with this frustrating problem.
fillingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #39
PappyBlueRibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
Another thing that makes me fairly certain that this is a config (rather than hardware) issue is that my HDMI output works fine after a restart -- until it gets past the Welcome, Powering Up screen. Anyone else notice this?
Donny, that's EXACTLY what is happening to me. I have no signal, so I turn off the Tivo, and then turn it back on, and then I get a signal for about 45 seconds (the Welcome, Powering Up screen) and then the signal disappears.
PappyBlueRibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 10:23 PM   #40
ajayabb

Check the date of that post

2 Roamio Plus Tivos
1 Tivo Mini
Running Pytivo and Streambaby
ajayabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 03:33 PM   #41
shake202

HDMI problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyBlueRibs View Post
Donny, that's EXACTLY what is happening to me. I have no signal, so I turn off the Tivo, and then turn it back on, and then I get a signal for about 45 seconds (the Welcome, Powering Up screen) and then the signal disappears.
The reason it works during start up is that it is not trying to display a digitally protected signal. You should be able to see the menu screens as well.

If the Tivo and device it is connected to do not "talk" correctly with each other, this is what causes the problem.
shake202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 05:47 PM   #42
PappyBlueRibs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyBlueRibs View Post
Here's my update:
I emailed Tivo and got this response:
• Are you seeing any messages when the HDMI cable is plugged in?
• Are you using the HDMI cable provided with the TiVo box?
• Have you tried unplugging it from both the TV and TiVo box and switching the ends?

Not much help, but I thought the 3rd one was interesting, I didn't know there was a difference with regards to ends...

Anyway, I completely powered everything down (all my equipment is attached to 1 power-strip, and I turned that power-strip off). Then turned the power-strip back on, and, praise the Lord, Tivo worked. EXCEPT now I had a cablecard problem, 161-1. So I turned everything off again, and ejected the cablecard (and yes, I have read to NEVER do that). Then turned it back on, and got to the point where Tivo is asking for a cablecard, and inserted it. Got the same problem (161-1) -- I left everything on while I scoured the internet and, while I was looking, it started to work. I couldn't believe it. It took 3-4 minutes.
PappyBlueRibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #43
Tzus

If it helps; I recently signed up to Virgin Media TiVo and the morning after the box was installed I had the HDMI problem. Engineer called the next day and changed my Samsung TiVo box for a Cisco TiVo box and it has worked perfectly ever since.
Tzus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #44
moonscape

Um, probably not helpful since this thread is 2.5 years old, about the Series 3 from then, and you're in the UK talking about Virgin Media boxes.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:30 PM   #45
SandDune

Well for what its worth, I just joined the club with my Series 3 after 6 years of no problem. I went HDMI day one and never looked back. Now I'm forced to run component which meant running a LOT more wires through the wall to the back of the TV. Oh well, maybe I'll hang on a bit and replace all of my aging TiVo's with a Series 5 (or whatever its called) and some Mini's.
SandDune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #46
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I've kept a TiVo HD unit around for OTA recording. Originally purchased in 2003, never had an issue until last week when the HDMI out stopped working.

After reading this thread, I'll try the "lift up on the HDMI cable" method to see I get any results. If that doesn't work, I'll have to figure out how to work a component cable into my setup.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:11 PM   #47
skaggs
AlbanyHDTV

I pulled up on the HDMI cable when it was inserted into the port on the back of the TiVo HD unit and, sure enough, the video would display on my HDTV. When I let go of the cable, the video would go black.

Rather than try to wedge something in the port to hold the cable "up", I noticed I had a spare component port on my A/V receiver and decided to try and use that.

Plugged in the cable from my TiVo HD to the A/V receiver and the HD video re-appeared. Problem solved.