Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-01-2010, 10:48 PM   #6961
CraigK
(unspecified)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
What I *did* find out is that CableCard #2 is set up in their system for "basic" rather than the digital starter/preferred tier (unlike CableCard #1), and they are apparently going to fix this by sending someone to the house.
That seems strange,. They should be able to fix that in their system without sending someone out.

That is, if they can find their system.
Old 01-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #6962
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigK View Post
That seems strange,. They should be able to fix that in their system without sending someone out.

That is, if they can find their system.
I think your last comment is the problem. I think their system is in my physical CableCard. Hey, all you other folks with problems, Comcast's system is in my CableCard #2, that's why they can't help you. If you want help, you'll have to come to my house, or wait until Monday, when they come to collect their system from my Tivo.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #6963
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
Crap... I just realized as a result of this post that my Tivo isn't getting the Encore channels but the Comcast HD DVR is. Lovely...
That actually suggests another possibility for your problems to keep in mind for your Comcast tech visit: you have a pairing problem. In general with Comcast, if your cable card isn't correctly paired with their system then you won't be able to get any channels that have copy protection on them. In the past 6 months, Comcast has started copy protecting the Encore channels everywhere - I don't know what other channels they may be copy protecting in your local market.
Old 01-02-2010, 07:09 AM   #6964
schwinn

Regarding HD on Comcast... I was told by ECC (Executive Customer Care - I'm speaking with them on other issues anyway)... supposedly, Comcast's policy is that for any channel you get with your package (Starter, Preferred, etc) you get the HD-version at no additional charge, if you have HD-capable equipment. If you're using a Comcast box, you have to pay extra for an HD box, but with a TivoHD/S3 and cable cards you already have capability, so you're good to go.

I currently have Digital Starter, and get the HDs at no additional charge.

Incidentally, Comcast's channel listings appear to be pretty out of date/incorrect in many ways. The online system shows a different listing than the handout they gave me, and both are different than what I actually receive (I'm getting some channels not listed in my package)... I'm not complaining, but it was annoying to try to figure out what I could get with each package ahead of time... to find out that it was pretty incorrect. Again, I'm getting more than I expected, so I'm happier for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a68oliver View Post
The only way I know to accomplish this is....

If you receive BOTH an SD and HD version of the same channel, uncheck the SD version in the channels you receive. Tivo only records suggestions from channels you check that you receive.

As for the season passes...

As I recall, I opened a SD season pass and navigated to view upcoming programs. From there, I could see both the SD and HD channel broadcasts of the programs. IIRC, I then selected an HD program and was able to add a season pass for it. Then I had to go back and delete the SD season pass. I think you have to do this before you uncheck the SD program from the channels you recieve.

It has been a while since I did this and I can't reproduce it now because all my season passes have now been converted.

Good Luck.
Thanks - I reset the season passes manually, in the same way you described... I wasn't sure if things would record, and the Todo list wasn't updating, so I didn't want to "risk" it... fortunately, as I'm still "growing into" this THD, it didn't take too much to convert. I do wish it were smarter about this (like my MythTV was), but oh well.
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #6965
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
That actually suggests another possibility for your problems to keep in mind for your Comcast tech visit: you have a pairing problem. In general with Comcast, if your cable card isn't correctly paired with their system then you won't be able to get any channels that have copy protection on them. In the past 6 months, Comcast has started copy protecting the Encore channels everywhere - I don't know what other channels they may be copy protecting in your local market.
I suggested a pairing problem in my initial convo last night with Comcast. Their response, of course, was something on the order of 'huh?' Trying to talk to them about pairing is like speaking Greek. However, the original problem with this card was, in fact, a pairing issue, and that appears to be unresolved.

Under the Conditional Access menu, there is only one difference I notice between the cards regardless of what channel is tuned: the Host Validation field. On Card #1, Host Validation = Valid 00. On Card #2, Host Validation = Unknown 00.

If I put both cards on the same Encore channel, Card #2's EnabledByCP changes from "yes" to "no," and its CA enable changes to "not possible."

It is also of note that the Copy Protection Key changes to "Enabled" for Card #1, but not Card #2, when tuned to the Encore channel.

When I try to tune any of the Encore channels on Card #2, I am immediately shown the "In order to start cable service for this device, please contact your cable provider" screen.

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-02-2010 at 12:46 PM.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #6966
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:
I suggested a pairing problem in my initial convo last night with Comcast. Their response, of course, was something on the order of 'huh?' Trying to talk to them about pairing is like speaking Greek. However, the original problem with this card was, in fact, a pairing issue, and that appears to be unresolved.

Under the Conditional Access menu, there is only one difference I notice between the cards regardless of what channel is tuned: the Host Validation field. On Card #1, Host Validation = Valid 00. On Card #2, Host Validation = Unknown 00.
It may be worthwhile printing out TiVo's cablecard trouble shooting guide for your appointment. The example for Motorola S-card pairing talks about the Host Validation field.
Old 01-02-2010, 01:02 PM   #6967
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrispyCritter View Post
It may be worthwhile printing out TiVo's cablecard trouble shooting guide for your appointment. The example for Motorola S-card pairing talks about the Host Validation field.
Thanks for the link - I had been looking for this. Based on a quick read of the pairing section, this is definitely a pairing problem. Left a VM for the manager entangled in my situation. We'll see if I get a call back.

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-02-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 06:17 PM   #6968
crosssfire

It's been a Month since I bought Tivo Still no Service

Ok, the 5th of Jan will actually be a month but who's counting. What I am counting is, the fact that I've tried 4 cablecards and 3 different Tivo Boxes and I still don't have service. I thought I was making progress but all of a sudden, I have run into a dead in. I believe that I have a Channel mapping issue, which is a Comcast problem. No one seems to be able to help. This is unbelievably bad customers service. Tivo is still pointing the finger at Comcast, and Comcast is still pointing the finger at Tivo.
crosssfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #6969
dswallow
Save the Moderatоr

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosssfire View Post
Ok, the 5th of Jan will actually be a month but who's counting. What I am counting is, the fact that I've tried 4 cablecards and 3 different Tivo Boxes and I still don't have service. I thought I was making progress but all of a sudden, I have run into a dead in. I believe that I have a Channel mapping issue, which is a Comcast problem. No one seems to be able to help. This is unbelievably bad customers service. Tivo is still pointing the finger at Comcast, and Comcast is still pointing the finger at Tivo.
Please see my post at http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...40#post7695040 (from 1/1/2010) concerning who to contact at Comcast.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
dswallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #6970
joe_gjx

What happens to second tuner when only 1 S-card is installed?

Sorry, posted to the wrong forum.....

Last edited by joe_gjx : 01-03-2010 at 08:50 PM.
joe_gjx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:29 AM   #6971
drumbeater

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosssfire View Post
I got that type of service for about a month also. Finally someone at CC explained to me that the "billing signal" sent down the pipe could not be interpreted correctly by the Motorola cable card. The cablecard would not allow me to receive those channels because it could not tell that we were authorized for them. They said it didn't have anything to do with TIVO. I was only getting 4-5 HD channels out of the 35-40 I was supposed to get. They were "working on it" for a month and then I gave up.

I eventually switch to Knology, whose channel selection isn't as good, but the cable cards seem to work ok.
drumbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:48 AM   #6972
flaminiom

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaminiom View Post
Unreal.
FYI that may help someone else.

Over the weekend I called billing to make sure I'm not charged an install fee for the failed upgrade, and also no service for the few days I had it. They had no record of the cancel and said my account indicates I still have the card. I was ready for some fun, when she managed to track someone down and verify the tech took the card back with him.

Today I called 1-800-comcast to talk about channel lineups. I hit the cable sales button, but apparently they didn't know that much and sent me to another sales line. Not sure what the deal is there, but the second guy seemed knowledgeable, but here's what he said.

He said to get HD I need an HD box. He said they charge extra for that, although I'm not sure that's correct, but that's moot. That could be the confusion is the contractors are used to dealing with digital boxes and HD boxes. No HD box, no HD and no interest hearing anything else.

I asked him about the CableCard, and he said I would be fine with an M-Card. I wouldn't need any other equipment and it's included with the package. He also said I should have got many more HD channels than I was getting. That was my understanding, so at least I'm not crazy.

I got a call from someone local at Comcast regarding my email this morning. I was in a meeting so couldn't take it. I called back to leave a message and we'll see what they say about my situation. I've been OK with no cable for the past 18 months, so this is no loss to me, but the wife is bummed out.

If I at least get everyone on the same page about what SHOULD be happening, and I don't have to take off work, I'm willing to work with them provided they compensate me for missing channels.
flaminiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 11:53 AM   #6973
cjv2

Well, update on my situation.

Tivo support (phone) agrees that my CableCard #2 is unpaired, which makes sense, as the docs on their support site pretty much call out the same conclusion.

The Comcast manager who I was dealing with did not return any of my voicemails despite indicating in our intial conversation Friday that she was in on Saturday. So much for her.

Comcast is supposed to be here between 2p and 5p Eastern, so we will see if the clown show turns out any differently this time than the last time, or the time before that, or...

I have also fired off an email to we_can_help@cable.comcast.com. If this doesn't get resolved between the email and the tech, off I go to Comcast's executive tier.
Old 01-04-2010, 01:05 PM   #6974
stingray72

Ok. I'm all setup now. My cable card got swapped today (although I don't think that was the problem). Got on speaker phone with the tech in the house and the one back at the office. made sure all the data and host numbers were correct. then they made sure I had the correct package and whammo, channels started rolling in. Funny how that works
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:08 PM   #6975
alexsquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin R View Post
Haven't run the Tivo with comcast, but I suspect it's like knology in that you will get the QAMs, but they won't provide the data, so thye can push their service.
You can combine the two though and use and OTA antenna for locals in HD, and keep the cable for the discovery and such. Tivo will then provide programing data for the HD locals and the regular cable.
Just go into set up then and turn off the redundant local channels from cable.

Kevin R
That's what I was considering, doing the combo deal to keep discovery. Does anyone also know if you "have to" have the digital package to get one cable card for free? I kept trying to get one from Comcast, but they indicated that since I only had limited basic, I would get one from them...even for a fee. I would have to upgrade my package.
Thanks.
alexsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 01:43 PM   #6976
cjv2

To those who have managed to get through to Comcast's "Tivo/CableCard Hotline" at 1.866.761.0211, referenced in various posts - this number is usually busy, and when I do get a ring, I am greeted with a message that says "Sorry, all trunks are busy," and am immediately put on hold. I was on hold for 75 minutes before figuring that maybe I had landed in the wrong section of the system, so called back and... got the same thing.

Is this normal?
Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 PM   #6977
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
Ok. I'm all setup now. My cable card got swapped today (although I don't think that was the problem). Got on speaker phone with the tech in the house and the one back at the office. made sure all the data and host numbers were correct. then they made sure I had the correct package and whammo, channels started rolling in. Funny how that works
That is EXACTLY the way it is SUPPOSE to work
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:12 PM   #6978
drhankz

Quote:
To those who have managed to get through to Comcast's "Tivo/CableCard Hotline" at 1.866.761.0211, referenced in various posts - this number is usually busy, and when I do get a ring, I am greeted with a message that says "Sorry, all trunks are busy," and am immediately put on hold. I was on hold for 75 minutes before figuring that maybe I had landed in the wrong section of the system, so called back and... got the same thing.

Is this normal?
I think Comcast has taken that number down.

If you start here and CLICK on Email Me - you might have some luck.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #6979
cjv2

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I think Comcast has taken that number down.

If you start here and CLICK on Email Me - you might have some luck.
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. As it happens, wonder of wonders, I may not need it.

The tech just left. I had to convince him that my Tivo HD would take an M-Card, but unlike almost EVERYBODY else I have dealt with at Comcast, he not only knew what an M-Card was, but he had one on him.

Bye-bye S-Card #2 with 2+ years of bad history. Bye-bye second card, PERIOD. We plugged the M-Card in, he called in the S/N, Host ID, and Data, did whatever he had to do to activate it. We hovered over the Tivo for about 5 minutes waiting for the channels to download, and BAM. My Encore channels are there, my HD channels are there. I'm going to go through the entire roster to be sure, but the ones that I know for a fact are only available as a result of my specific package are in full view.

Plus no more $1.50/month for the 2nd card. Yay!

Interesting side note - the green screen/161-4 error that I got whenever they "hit" the S-Cards at activation in the past? No such thing for the M-Card. We just kept poking at channels and then finally got something.

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-04-2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #6980
drhankz

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. As it happens, wonder of wonders, I may not need it.

The tech just left. I had to convince him that my Tivo HD would take an M-Card, but unlike almost EVERYBODY else I have dealt with at Comcast, he not only knew what an M-Card was, but he had one on him.

Bye-bye S-Card #2 with 2+ years of bad history. Bye-bye second card, PERIOD. We plugged the M-Card in, he called in the S/N, Host ID, and Data, did whatever he had to do to activate it. We hovered over the Tivo for about 5 minutes waiting for the channels to download, and BAM. My Encore channels are there, my HD channels are there. I'm going to go through the entire roster to be sure, but the ones that I know for a fact are only available as a result of my specific package are in full view.

Plus no more $1.50/month for the 2nd card. Yay!

Interesting side note - the green screen/161-4 error that I got whenever they "hit" the S-Cards at activation in the past? No such thing for the M-Card. We just kept poking at channels and then finally got something.
CONGRATULATIONS - that is the way it is Suppose to WORK - Easy
Old 01-04-2010, 05:53 PM   #6981
cjv2

Big Grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
CONGRATULATIONS - that is the way it is Suppose to WORK - Easy
That email to We_Can_Help@cable.comcast.com, as it turned out, was useful as well. I just got a call back from someone in Executive escalation (or something like that - I didn't quite catch the full name). He told me that he added the data for CableCard #2 to my account (which I had provided in my email). He specifically mentioned adding the Unit number and Data number that I provided from the Tivo.

Granted, this isn't needed any more - but what that bit told me is THERE IS A WAY for those who need help. I told him about the tech visit, of course, so that we don't have the account scrambled, and so that he isn't doing a bunch of extra work.

He also indicated to me that CableCard issues were common for him to work on and that they are aware of the support issues.

He also gave me $20/month off for the next 6 months to compensate for the 2 years of hassle that this Card #2 business has put me through. Me, I was just impressed that someone called me back (same day no less), and that they acted proactively on the technical detail I gave them in the email.

Now that I've got it fixed... hope this info helps someone else.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:43 PM   #6982
flaminiom

Quote:
earlier post
So, I talked to someone locally in the "escalation department."

Essentially what they said is I need to pay $9/mo HD equipment charge for my M-Card cablecard. This is to get encrypted channels, which apparently Comcast started doing with non-premium HD.

The card is no different and they agreed the fee is essentially to program the card. They said this is needed for the correct billing codes.

Does this sound right? When I spoke with someone on the phone they said I should be fine with just the cable card, but I understand there are issues with their billing system sending the right info. I'm not sure who else to speak with to verify the info.

They offered to extend my $45/mo promo for Digital Preferred for 12 months. I'm thinking of taking them up on it, and maybe trying to get that fee dropped down the road.
flaminiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #6983
cjv2

Quote:

Essentially what they said is I need to pay $9/mo HD equipment charge for my M-Card cablecard. This is to get encrypted channels, which apparently Comcast started doing with non-premium HD.

The card is no different and they agreed the fee is essentially to program the card. They said this is needed for the correct billing codes.

Does this sound right? When I spoke with someone on the phone they said I should be fine with just the cable card, but I understand there are issues with their billing system sending the right info. I'm not sure who else to speak with to verify the info.

They offered to extend my $45/mo promo for Digital Preferred for 12 months. I'm thinking of taking them up on it, and maybe trying to get that fee dropped down the road.
Dunno. The rate card for my area for 2010 has something that just says "HDTV" at a cost of $7.95. This sounds like it might be what you are being told about. I am not seeing this on my own bill currently. However, I also have a Comcast HD DVR (at $16.95) in addition to the TiVo.

It could be that if I were to ditch the Comcast DVR, I might get socked with the "HDTV fee." But I do not know, and I have been unable to find a rate card for your area via the Comcast website.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:13 PM   #6984
CrispyCritter
Purple Ribbon Wearer

Quote:

No, it's not right. Comcast does not ever charge an HD equipment charge for the cablecards. I don't know your complete setup, but if the TiVo is your only box from Comcast, there should be no charges for the CC. Some of your local folks may not know how to link things in their system, but that's their responsibility. National Comcast will not allow your local franchise to add the HD equipment charge, so you should probably escalate to the national "comcast helps" folks, unless your local folks are offering a "make-up" that is worth more to you.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #6985
cjv2

Quote:
Essentially what they said is I need to pay $9/mo HD equipment charge for my M-Card cablecard. <snip>

Given that Digital Preferred is over $70/month - at least in my area - your thought seems quite sound to me. If they will (net) pay *you* for the hassle to date, why not? But CrispyCritter is correct, methinks.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:38 PM   #6986
cmaquilino16

Question Cablecard problems

Hello all, I got a Tivo Hd with Cable and Antenna set up. I have comcast in the atlanta area, Today I went to comcast to pick up a cable card and they give me one for free. Can I put the card in the tivo and will it work or do I have to call for the card to work. I got a receipt for the card with the s/n on it. So what next?

Thanks
cmaquilino16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #6987
MojoRilla

How much for an additional HD cable box?

This is a bit off topic, but I need help. I live in Atlanta, and have an M Card in my Tivo HD and love it. And I want to add an additional hd cable box for another TV.

One call to Comcast said this was $7.95. The next day, when I was ready to order, it went up to $11.90. The operator claimed that the $7.95 was if I turned in my cable card. Over my dead body.

How much should the additional cable box be?
MojoRilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:05 PM   #6988
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoRilla View Post
This is a bit off topic, but I need help. I live in Atlanta, and have an M Card in my Tivo HD and love it. And I want to add an additional hd cable box for another TV.

One call to Comcast said this was $7.95. The next day, when I was ready to order, it went up to $11.90. The operator claimed that the $7.95 was if I turned in my cable card. Over my dead body.

How much should the additional cable box be?
I'm going to take a wild guess based on the Comcast Atlanta 2010 Rate Card as to what you got quoted:

- $7.95 "HDTV" (I still don't know exactly what that is, but it's the only thing on the card that matches the price)

PLUS

- $3.95 "Digital Service - Additional Outlet with HDTV or DVR Service"

ADDS UP TO

$11.90.

I see nothing else on the rate card that would explain the specific numbers you got.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:08 PM   #6989
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaquilino16 View Post
Hello all, I got a Tivo Hd with Cable and Antenna set up. I have comcast in the atlanta area, Today I went to comcast to pick up a cable card and they give me one for free. Can I put the card in the tivo and will it work or do I have to call for the card to work. I got a receipt for the card with the s/n on it. So what next?

Thanks
I'm impressed that you got hold of a CableCard without a tech visit. How the heck did you pull that off?

You can go ahead and put the card in your TiVo - I think - but to get it activated, someone at Comcast has to plug in certain bits of info from your TiVo that you would provide from the menus. The someones who are on the phone generally can't enter this data into the Comcast system and don't know what you're talking about anyway. You are probably looking at having a tech come out to turn it up.

What cable package do you have? And is that an M-Card or an S-Card?

Last edited by cjv2 : 01-06-2010 at 08:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:34 PM   #6990
cmaquilino16

Quote:
I'm impressed that you got hold of a CableCard without a tech visit. How the heck did you pull that off?

You can go ahead and put the card in your TiVo - I think - but to get it activated, someone at Comcast has to plug in certain bits of info from your TiVo that you would provide from the menus. The someones who are on the phone generally can't enter this data into the Comcast system and don't know what you're talking about anyway. You are probably looking at having a tech come out to turn it up.

What cable package do you have? And is that an M-Card or an S-Card?
They give me a M-Card, I got basic cable. So I have to call in to get it to work in my Tivo?
cmaquilino16 is offline   Reply With Quote