TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-29-2009, 07:46 PM   #91
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

While no Tuning Adapter for me was fine (I don't watch most of the channels it offers) and my installer insisted that I did NOT want it unless I wanted to get Channel 16 (a PBS station I can get on HD) especially since I read it would interfere with/prevent MultiRoom Viewing, I'm worried.

A change is coming, and I wonder if I'll be SOL in the future.

Good luck with your TA! I'll bet it will help with New Years' Sports!!!
Old 12-30-2009, 01:40 AM   #92
GordonHelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbutts View Post
thanks puguru2 for your explanation.

here's my situation and i'd appreciate any input. I'm visiting at my mother in law's St. Pete Beach. She has BH. She wants DVR. I've had countless Tivos and currently run an upgraded TivoHD with comcast at my home in Atlanta. I feel like I understand the Tivo platform pretty well.

After reading all of the more recent posts about BH in St. Pete I am now concerned that I won't be able to get a Tivo working before we leave at New Year's.

In Atlanta in summer 08, it took weeks and weeks to get the cablecards working (finally working with single M card but I think I might be missing one SDV channel). With the number of SDV channels in TB area, the complaints about BH tech support and provisioning of the cablecards, etc., I'm worried about not being able to get it working. I can't leave my in law with a semi functional setup.

She's ready to pull the trigger and buy whatever I tell her to. She would like to be able to do the kinds of things that a Tivo does (download mkv, netflix, save to desktop, ipod, etc) that a BH DVR probably won't do.

Any ideas? I don't have faith that i can get the seemingly one person at BH "Gary" to set up the mCard at the NOC during a holiday week.

Any suggestions? Is the TA necessary? Mcard working well? Go with BH Dvr and lose functionality but save hassle?
I recommend that you get a BH DVR first and see if that is adequate for her. They are inexpensive and no long term contract, so you can do a TiVo later when you have more time, if the BH DVR is not adequate. I am a big TiVo fan, but for a first time DVR user with the limited time you have to get it working for her and train her on it, I would go with the BH DVR.
GordonHelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #93
GordonHelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHelser View Post
It has taken two weeks and several visits and several Tuning Adapters and replacing my two single cable cards with a multi card, but they finally got my Tuning Adapter working today. I don't think the cable cards were the problem. HERE IS THE SOLUTION, for the Tampa area, at least: Have the person that installs your TA call the NOC and ask for Gary. Apparently he is only available after 3pm. He got it working right away. He had them power down the TiVoHD. Power on the TA and wait until the green light stays on solid. Takes several minutes. Then power on the TiVoHD. And Gary did his magic at the NOC somewhere in there. The installer asked him what he did for future reference for future installs and Gary would not tell him. I think Gary wants job security. Schedule your visit for after 3pm and hope that Gary is in the NOC that day. Good luck.

Gordy in Tampa. TiVo user since 2000. 7 TiVo's. 6 in use.
The TA has been solid up until I had to reboot the TiVoHD. After the reboot, the TA stopped working. It was blinking green. I tried pulling its power cord, waiting a minute and powering it up. No joy. So I tried what was done in my post above. I pulled the power cord on the TA and on the TiVoHD. Waited a minute. Powered on the TA. Left for a while. Came back to find the TA green light on solid. Powered on the TiVoHD. Now the TA is working. Green light on solid. Guess I will have to do that each time the TiVo is powered off and on. I hope I don't have to also do it after the TiVoHD reboots itself after a software download.

I wonder it the cable companies are making the TA's so hard to live with to try and force us to replace our TiVo's with their DVR's?

Gordy in Tampa
Old 12-30-2009, 02:08 AM   #94
GordonHelser

New four digit channels in BH Tampa

I got a flyer in the mail from BH listing about 100 four digit HD channels. I checked my channel list on the TivoHD and I only had about 20 four digit channels. I called TiVo. After some wasted fix attempts, I got a rep who checked the BH Tampa channel lineup and it matched what is on my TiVo. He asked for some examples of the missing channels and said he would open a ticket to get the channel line up fixed. Said he found another ticket for the same thing. Said it might take up to two weeks to get it fixed.

FYI,
Gordy in Tampa
Old 12-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #95
adamt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
I did NOT get the Tuning Adapter, because I can get all the channels we want without it. The CSR said big changes are coming in June, so I don't know whether to be happy or scared <g>

Windracer, I can't get those either, and I can't get 692.

Like you, I can't get channel 16, but the HD side makes up for it with 616, 616, 618, 619 and 620.

But I am thrilled with the job BHN did and with the channels and appearance.
M
Megory: Are you saying that you receive all these channels without the tuning adapter?

704 - ESPN2 HD
705 - ESPN NEWS HD
706 - ESPN U HD
707 - ESPN HD
718 - FOX SPORTS FLORIDA HD
719 - SUN SPORTS HD
720 - DISCOVERY HD THEATER
721 - DISCOVERY CHANNEL HD
722 - SCIENCE CHANNEL HD
723 - ANIMAL PLANET HD
724 - TLC HD
725 - TNT HD
726 - TBS HD
727 - NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC CHANNEL HD
728 - CNN HD
729 - VS. HD
730 - PALLADIA HD
731 - FOOD NETWORK HD
732 - HGTV HD
733 - A&E HD
734 - HISTORY CHANNEL HD
735 - DISNEY CHANNEL HD
736 - ABC FAMILY HD
737 - LIFETIME MOVIE NETWORK HD
738 - FX HD
739 - GOLF CHANNEL HD
740 - USA NETWORK HD
741 - SYFY HD
742 - BRAVO HD
743 - TRAVEL CHANNEL HD
744 - MLB NETWORK HD
745 - SPEED HD
746 - WGN AMERICA HD
747 - FOX NEWS CHANNEL HD
748 - CNBC HD+
749 - AMC HD
750 - BIO HD
751 - CBS COLLEGE SPORTS HD
752 - BBC AMERICA HD
753 - CARTOON NETWORK HD
754 - CRIME & INVESTIGATION NETWORK HD
755 - E! HD
756 - FOX BUSINESS NEWS HD
757 - FUSE HD
758 - G4 HD
759 - INVESTIGATION DISCOVERY HD
760 - HLN HD
761 - IFC HD
762 - MSNBC HD
763 - DISNEY XD HD
764 - PLANET GREEN HD
765 - STYLE HD
766 - TCM HD
767 - HISTORY INTERNATIONAL HD
768 - WE tv HD
948 - WZRA
adamt56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 05:58 PM   #96
adamt56

My Brighthouse tuning adapter experience has been an absolute disaster.

All the technician did was hook up the adapter and verify that it booted up and the SDV menu on the TiVo appeared. I asked him anything else needed to be done (call the have the device activated etc). He said "nope, you pretty much just plug 'em in and they are good to go". He was in control of the remote and began going through the guided set-up. I knew this would take at least 20 minutes so I told him he could go as long as everything was good on their end (my mistake perhaps).

Anyhow, half of the SDV channels display "This channel is temporarily unavailable. Press SELECT to try tuning to this channel again. Contact your cable provider for more information".

Additionally, most channels from 2-173 simply do not tune at all. Quite frustrating. Now. they must send a technician out to fix the problem.
Old 01-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #97
windracer
joined the 10k club

Is anyone without a TA getting all of these new "re-org" channels? Looks like BHN is moving everything into the 1000+ channel range, but I can't get any of them on my M-Card so I'm assuming SDV. I'm still able to get the channels in their original location (i.e., the 700s) so I'm not too concerned yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:21 PM   #98
adamt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
Is anyone without a TA getting all of these new "re-org" channels? Looks like BHN is moving everything into the 1000+ channel range, but I can't get any of them on my M-Card so I'm assuming SDV. I'm still able to get the channels in their original location (i.e., the 700s) so I'm not too concerned yet.
No, not able to tune any channel in the 1000 range (WITH or without the TA).

All the channels they have parked in the 1000 range are also in the 700+ range.

@windracer - How many channels in the 700 range are you able to tune?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 AM   #99
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamt56 View Post
@windracer - How many channels in the 700 range are you able to tune?
Quite a few!

704 ESPN2HD
707 EPSNHD
718 FSNFLHD
719 SUNNHD
720 HDT
721 HSCHD
722 SCIHD
723 APLHD
724 TLCHD
725 TNTHD
726 TBSHD
728 CNNHD
730 PLDHD
731 FOODHD
732 HGTVHD
733 AETVHD
734 HSTRYHD
735 DISNHD
736 ABCFHD
737 LMNHD
738 FXHD
740 USAHD
741 SYFYHD
742 BRAVOHD
743 TRAVHD
744 MLBHD
746 WGNHD
749 AMCHD

|
Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #100
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHelser View Post
I recommend that you get a BH DVR first and see if that is adequate for her........
I agree with Gordon's assessment. There are too many unknowns at this point vis-ŕ-vis Brighthouse's implementation of SDV & adoption of tuning adapter technology. I have to reboot my TiVo and Tuning Adapter a couple of times a month to keep it all working properly; probably not something you want to have to deal with from distance.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:21 AM   #101
jtageson

I had a Brighthouse tech come out to my house yesterday because I couldn't get any of the 1XXX channels. I assumed the problem was that they were SDV and I would need tuning adapter. However when the tech came out, he told me that these new channels were not available yet to cable cards. He said they have been turned on for Brighthouse boxes, but not for cable cards. Apparently they are having problems with cable cards. He said a tuning adapter wouldn't make any difference right now. He has a TV at home with a cable card and can't get the new channels either. He said to wait a few weeks till they get the problems worked out
jtageson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM   #102
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtageson View Post
Apparently they are having problems with cable cards. He said a tuning adapter wouldn't make any difference right now.
He's wrong on that front. With Tuning Adapter attached you get same channel maps as customers with cable set top boxes (it overrides the channel mapping function of the CableCard(s)).

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:26 PM   #103
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtageson View Post
However when the tech came out, he told me that these new channels were not available yet to cable cards. He said they have been turned on for Brighthouse boxes, but not for cable cards.
Ok, I know that's happened in the past, so that's encouraging. Hopefully they will be "turned on" soon, or at least before they remove the existing ones that are working.

|
Old 01-08-2010, 06:17 AM   #104
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Megory: Are you saying that you receive all these channels without the tuning adapter?
Quote:
Quite a few!

704 ESPN2HD
707 EPSNHD
718 FSNFLHD
719 SUNNHD
720 HDT
721 HSCHD
722 SCIHD
723 APLHD
724 TLCHD
725 TNTHD
726 TBSHD
728 CNNHD
730 PLDHD
731 FOODHD
732 HGTVHD
733 AETVHD
734 HSTRYHD
735 DISNHD
736 ABCFHD
737 LMNHD
738 FXHD
740 USAHD
741 SYFYHD
742 BRAVOHD
743 TRAVHD
744 MLBHD
746 WGNHD
749 AMCHD
Adam, sorry to take so long to respond. With the M-Card only (NO TA) I get the same lineup as Windracer does. But in addition, I do receive 727, 729, 739 and 747.

As all these upper level 1000-1500 get added, I'm wondering what the future holds vis a vis the Tuning Adapter!
Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #105
adamt56

Well, had another technician come out this morning to attempt to get the SDV adapter working. I am having an issue with most of the lower channels (2-100) not working as well as most of the SDV channels (channel not available).

Upon arrival, the tech stated that since the tuning adapter was not Brighthouse equipment, there was nothing they could really do. I pointed to the Brighthouse stickers plastered all over the bottom of the thing. Needless to say, we couldn't get it working. (I was hoping that the tech might have brought another tuning adpater to swap out [you know, considering the point of the service call was that I was not able to tune channels after the installation of the tuning adapter]). I guess you can wish with one hand and you know what with the other.

Next appointment in a few days . . . Maybe the third time will be the charm.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:39 PM   #106
adamt56

Smile

Quote:
Well, had another technician come out this morning to attempt to get the SDV adapter working. I am having an issue with most of the lower channels (2-100) not working as well as most of the SDV channels (channel not available).

Upon arrival, the tech stated that since the tuning adapter was not Brighthouse equipment, there was nothing they could really do. I pointed to the Brighthouse stickers plastered all over the bottom of the thing. Needless to say, we couldn't get it working. (I was hoping that the tech might have brought another tuning adpater to swap out [you know, considering the point of the service call was that I was not able to tune channels after the installation of the tuning adapter]). I guess you can wish with one hand and you know what with the other.

Next appointment in a few days . . . Maybe the third time will be the charm.
**UPDATE** So, I did a little more research and decided to go onto the Brighthouse Customer care live chat. I was connected with Janice (who I have chatted with before) and we did a bit of troubleshooting. I asked her if she could "hit" the box. First, she guided me through the Tivo SDV troubleshooting guide (which, I have done before). That of course did not work. She then said that she could do a reset of all the equipment but it might would cause our chat session to disconnect. It did not. About 20 seconds later the channels that were not tuning started to tune!! She mentioned she had to send it "the signal it wanted".

So, moral of the story . . . Try the live chat feature. I have had great luck with the CSR and tech's on there in the past as well as today.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #107
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
I'm able to pull in a bunch of the 1000+ range channels on my M-Card now.

|
Old 01-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #108
jmoline

BIg10 HD Recording/Viewing Problems?

Anyone having problems watching or viewing BIG10HD programming. I've set up my S3 to record the Michigan State Basketball Games and I get repeated freeze ups, always when the network is coming out of commercial. I have two single stream cable cards and a tuning adapter installed. My initial call to TIVO was no help, the tech seemed to think the tuning adapter was changing frequencies and the TIVO didn't know. Any one else with this problem?
jmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:48 PM   #109
scottopus

Something like this happened to me once when I was watching the BigTenNetwork in HD. I switched to the SD channel and it was fine. If it happened anymore, I would have called BH. I do notice if you leave BTN on overnight you'll find a blank screen in the morning.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:38 PM   #110
adamt56

Quote:
I'm able to pull in a bunch of the 1000+ range channels on my M-Card now.
Yep, they lit up those channels finally for those with cable cards/SDV adapters.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:45 PM   #111
adamt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomRaz View Post
I have not really had any issues with my TA's and they are free for the first 12 months.

Come join the fun
I am being charged 3.80 plus and extra .95 for "Digital Add'l Outlet".

So, 4.75 total to have the SDV adapter now. So much for them being "free" per TiVo.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:28 AM   #112
TomRaz

Adam the tuning adapters are suppose to be free for the first year both in the Tampa and Orlando areas.

I would contact the billing department and discuss the issue with them. If you don't get any progress ask to speak to someone in the quality assurance department about this issue.

Good luck
TomRaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 08:58 AM   #113
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Interesting ... I just happened to notice that all of the additional outlet charges for my CableCARD disappeared from my January bill.

|
Old 01-23-2010, 01:33 PM   #114
pugru2

Quote:

So, 4.75 total to have the SDV adapter now. So much for them being "free" per TiVo.
Keep calling eventually you will get someone who will do the real leg work for you and get those charges taken off for 12 months. Try having them put in the discount code "X1" (I think that's it). It took about 5-6 service reps for me to get it, and the one who finally found it actually called me back with that information.
pugru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 PM   #115
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

These are my charges from BH St Pbg. I have only an M-Card and no TA.

Like WindRacer, I receive the majority of the 1000-1300 (?) channels (but not all).
Current Monthly Service(s)
01/05 - 02/04 Standard Cable 44.99
01/05 - 02/04 Road Runner Service 32.95
01/05 - 02/04 Digital Cable Tier Digital Cable,
Digital Music, On-Screen Guide, And Access
To On Demand Services. 7.95
01/05 - 02/04 CableCARD 2.95
Subtotal 88.84

Old 01-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #116
adamt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by pugru2 View Post
Keep calling eventually you will get someone who will do the real leg work for you and get those charges taken off for 12 months. Try having them put in the discount code "X1" (I think that's it). It took about 5-6 service reps for me to get it, and the one who finally found it actually called me back with that information.
I did contact them and they removed the charge for the TA as well as the digital outlet. They then stated it would be free for one year.

It sounds like there is some real great communication going on at BHN. </sarcasm>

Or, they are just trying to rip people.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:37 PM   #117
scottopus

Quote:
If you look back on the bottom of page 2 of this thread, you'll see I had the same problem. You shouldn't be paying for an additional outlet since a TA isn't hooked up to an additional TV. They removed both charges from my bill but I only get 1 year of the TA for free.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:57 PM   #118
adamt56

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottopus View Post
If you look back on the bottom of page 2 of this thread, you'll see I had the same problem. You shouldn't be paying for an additional outlet since a TA isn't hooked up to an additional TV. They removed both charges from my bill but I only get 1 year of the TA for free.
Don't worry . . . They are making up for it with their recently announced rate increase for service.
Old 01-30-2010, 08:28 PM   #119
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Don't worry . . . They are making up for it with their recently announced rate increase for service.
Yeah, I got that too. What's confusing is that the digital combo (with RoadRunner) on my bill is listed as $78. According to the letter I received, it's $85 and going up to $90. Maybe that's including taxes?

|
Old 02-08-2010, 11:01 AM   #120
Lampei

I'm at the point now where I'm going to take my Tuning Adapter back to BH, and just "live" with the other HD channels I receive. For one, they still haven't credited me back for the $3.80 a month for it (after they said they would), and I still have not got the channels I'm supposed to be receiving by using it.

Each time I call them up, I get the "OK, let me hit it", "nope, that didn't fix it", "OK, let's restart", "nope, same thing", "hmmm, we don't get a lot of TiVo requests, I don't think many people are using them any more", "Well, I am and this tuning adapter still doesn't work right". Very frustrating...

I *think* I may have found why it doesn't work correctly (at least in my case). After I got the TA added, my wireless USB stopped working correctly. I got "gateway not found" and "connection failed" when trying to connect. At first I thought my wireless USB was going bad, but each time I removed and reconnected the USB, everything worked for the next hour. Then it would try to connect, and it would fail a day or so later. I then decided to remove the TA USB, and, for the last 2 weeks, have not had an issue with the connection, so I guess the TA was doing something weird internally to mess with the TiVo network connection. Great!

Anyone have any similar issues with their TA? I haven't returned it yet, as that would require *another* truck roll to get me another one (even though I was the one that had to install it last time). And when then guy came out they never seem to want to wait to make sure that all the channels work, as "it's just a TiVo" Argh!
Lampei is offline   Reply With Quote