TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 10-18-2009, 07:24 PM   #61
guitardude5
Tivo Dude

I just recently had the TA installed by BH. They did not offer the year of rental for free. I suppose I'll try calling after my first bill arrives. It took a few minutes of the tech calling in to find out how the TA works, but overall it went really smooth. I thought I would share the list of BHN's SDV channels. Here is the 'official' list.

Quote:
What channels are delivered through Switched Digital Video?

ESPN GamePlan
ESPN NEWS HD*
ESPNU HD*
NBA League Pass
NHL Center Ice
MLB Extra Innings
MLS Direct Kick
Game HD
Big Ten Network
Seminoles*
Gators*
Biography HD
CBS College Sports HD*
CNBC HD
Crime and Investigation
Fox College Sports Atlantic
Fox College Sports Central
Fox College Sports Pacific
FUEL TV
Military History
NBA TV
NHL Network
RetroPlex
IndiePlex
Encore
Encore Love
Encore Wam!
Outdoor Channel
Speed HD
Tennis Channel
YES Network
Antenna Pay TV USA INC.
ART
Channel One Russia
Deutsche Welle
ETTV - ET-Super
The Filipino Channel
NGTV
RAITALIA
RTPI
SBTN
Fox MovieChannel*
The Movie Channel East*
The Movie Channel Xtra East*
The Movie Channel West*
The Movie Channel Xtra West*
Starz*
Starz Edge*
Starz in Black*
Encore Drama
Encore Action
Encore Mysteries
Encore Love
Encore Westerns
Starz Kids & Family*
Starz Cinema*
SET Asia
TV Asia
TV Japan
TV5Monde
TVK Television Korea
Caracol TV Internacional
Cine Latino
CNN en Espaņol
Discovery en Espaņol
Fox Sports en Espaņol
GOLTV
History en Espaņol
Sorpressa
SUR
TVE Internacional
Ten*
SexSee*
Vavoom*
Penthouse TV*
Playboy*

* Note: Beginning September 30, 2009

guitardude5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 08:13 AM   #62
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windracer View Post
I think I've seen Twin Peaks on Chiller (168).
Thanks. I'll check out Chiller to see what they show. I only mentioned Twin Peaks because it's probably the most followed show they have. But I don't watch it.

Hey, do you have any NON TiVo TVs with a brighthouse connection? New software. Hate it.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #63
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
Hey, do you have any NON TiVo TVs with a brighthouse connection? New software. Hate it.
Nope ... no Brighthouse DVRs here. TiVo all the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2009, 03:27 PM   #64
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
Nope ... no Brighthouse DVRs here. TiVo all the way.
That's my goal now if I can figure the best subscriptions and deals.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 PM   #65
windracer
joined the 10k club

I found a bunch of new channels on my THD I can't receive ... looks like more SDV:

752 BBC America HD
753 Cartoon Network HD
754 Crime & Investigation Network HD
755 E! Entertainment Television HD
756 Fox Business Network HD
757 Fuse HD
758 G4-video game television HD
759 Investigation Discovery HD
760 HLN HD
761 Independent Film Channel HD
762 MSNBC HD
763 Disney XD HD
764 Planet Green HD
765 Style HD
766 Turner Classic Movies HD
767 History International HD
768 Women's Entertainment HD Feed

|
Old 11-22-2009, 11:23 PM   #66
jhowell

There was an announcement from Brighthouse Networks in the St Petersburg Times this weekend that they are moving more channels to SDV on or after December 21. Existing channels that are moving include 221-232, 241-256, 701 and 702. Also, 25 new HD channels will be added, mostly HBO, Cinemax and Showtime variations, all SDV.

I had been holding off on getting tuning adapters for my TiVos, but I will need them now in order to get Showtime in HD (channel 701) to watch Dexter.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:45 PM   #67
trtsmb

Quote:
I found a bunch of new channels on my THD I can't receive ... looks like more SDV:

752 BBC America HD
753 Cartoon Network HD
757 Fuse HD
760 HLN HD
762 MSNBC HD
763 Disney XD HD
764 Planet Green HD
765 Style HD
We had the tuning adapter installed today but still can't see 767, 768, 763, 761 and a few other ones. Are these not activated yet by Tampa BH or is Tampa BH making them a premium tier?
trtsmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #68
GordonHelser

I called BH tech support today and asked for a tuning adapter. The rep knew what it was and said he had to transfer me to sales to schedule it. The sales rep had no clue. He finally found it. Then I told him it was free for the first year. He argued for a while but finally did some research and found that it is free for the first year. Be sure to ask for that. It will not be automatic, from what I can tell. My install is Dec 1 along with RR Lightning 40/5. I am unhappy with BH for not mentioning the tuning adapter in the letter about SDV disabling my Showtime and Cinemax Dec 21 because I have cable cards.

Gordy in Tampa. TiVo user since 2000. 7 TiVo's. 6 in use.
GordonHelser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 07:41 AM   #69
flyers

TRTSMB - that's correct, not all channels are active. It would seem that BHN is having problems with the rollout.

For more on this, you might check out the BHN-Tampa boards at www.tampahdtv.com.
flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 04:19 PM   #70
NickIN

I wonder if BH Indiana has these yet.... Anyone know?
NickIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #71
sharp1

I'm in Brooksville, on Tampa's Brighthouse. Does anyone have any tips on what I should ask the CSR to look for as far as the tuning adapter and year free go?

I want to try and avoid confusing them as much as possible, and hopefully get my free year with a minimum of hassle.

Thanks in advance.
sharp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 06:34 AM   #72
flyers

Question Losing Random SDV Channels?

Sometime Thursday, I began losing access to a random set of SDV channels. The missing channels do change over time.

I am in the Port Tampa City area near West Shore & Interbay. Anyone else seeing this odd behavior?
flyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 09:25 PM   #73
GordonHelser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonHelser View Post
I called BH tech support today and asked for a tuning adapter. The rep knew what it was and said he had to transfer me to sales to schedule it. The sales rep had no clue. He finally found it. Then I told him it was free for the first year. He argued for a while but finally did some research and found that it is free for the first year. Be sure to ask for that. It will not be automatic, from what I can tell. My install is Dec 1 along with RR Lightning 40/5. I am unhappy with BH for not mentioning the tuning adapter in the letter about SDV disabling my Showtime and Cinemax Dec 21 because I have cable cards.

RR Lightning went in fine. They are still trying to get the tuning adapter to work. It has been a week. FYI.
Old 12-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #74
pugru2

Insist on a BH TECHNICIAN! Not an installer.

I know it's long, I'm sorry. But there are some issue you may run into that this addresses for you. So you will know what to ask for, if you decide to go ahead with BS, I mean BH and TIVO HD.

Because we got a great deal from Best Buy on a HDTV, we decided to get the TivoHD. It has take 5 installers to the house, dozens of phone calls and 2.5 weeks to finally get it working. It turns out that the Cablecard was registered to Hillsborough county BH (I'm in Pinellas). We were not receiving any DIGITAL channels at all for 2 weeks because the cablecard did not work. We had only the basic/standard cable channels and the basic HD channels.

What we were told the first time we complained was that we need a tuning adapter for the SDV channels and that would fix everything. The second installer put in the tuning adapter and we then had fewer channels. We then only had the basic cable and HD channels (no tnt, tbs, disney, etc....). The installer responded with your hub is down, all the channels will be back by the end of the day. They were not, so we checked the cable in another room and all the standard and basic channels were working.

We call again, they offer a discount for the week we were missing the channels and that it would be another 5 days before an installer could come out. He doesn't show (even though we were home, he reported no one answered). Called again and insisted that they send someone the very next day, with an extra cablecard and tuning adapter. He had neither, blamed it on being a weekend and the warehouse was closed. He couldn't fix it either but sets up an appointment for Monday (today).

It took about 2 hours with TECHNICIAN (not an installer) and it finally works. I decide now is finally the time to ask about this whole FREE tuning adapter thing. Tivo CS was no help, said to call the cable provider (I figure they should at least acknowledge that not all cable companies will provide a free unit). I call BH, and talk to 3 different people, and NOTHING. They refuse to give us the Tuning adapter for free, not even the first year. They barely gave a discount on the 2.5 weeks w/o digital cable.

I think it's time for FIOS. Any suggestions?
pugru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:07 PM   #75
eaayoung

FIOS is wonderful. With it's increased bandwidth you shouldn't need a TA. I had it when I lived in the bay area and loved it.

Wish I could get it here in Orlando.
eaayoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 PM   #76
GordonHelser

Don't give up on the free year of Tuning Adapter. Tell them that you have friends (us) who have had tuning adapters installed and got the free first year. Tell them that your friends told you that the rep on the phone had to do some research on the Tuning Adapter and they found the code they are supposed to enter to get the free year. The rep I talked to had never heard of a tuning adapter, but he read up on SDV and tuning adapter and found the info to place the service call to get my tuning adapter installed and the code for the free first year.

I had my cable cards installed a few years ago and it did take them several visits to get them working. See my separate post here on my TA experience.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #77
GordonHelser

Quote:
RR Lightning went in fine. They are still trying to get the tuning adapter to work. It has been a week. FYI.
It has taken two weeks and several visits and several Tuning Adapters and replacing my two single cable cards with a multi card, but they finally got my Tuning Adapter working today. I don't think the cable cards were the problem. HERE IS THE SOLUTION, for the Tampa area, at least: Have the person that installs your TA call the NOC and ask for Gary. Apparently he is only available after 3pm. He got it working right away. He had them power down the TiVoHD. Power on the TA and wait until the green light stays on solid. Takes several minutes. Then power on the TiVoHD. And Gary did his magic at the NOC somewhere in there. The installer asked him what he did for future reference for future installs and Gary would not tell him. I think Gary wants job security. Schedule your visit for after 3pm and hope that Gary is in the NOC that day. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2009, 05:25 PM   #78
comedygirl24

Quote:
It has taken two weeks and several visits and several Tuning Adapters and replacing my two single cable cards with a multi card, but they finally got my Tuning Adapter working today. I don't think the cable cards were the problem. HERE IS THE SOLUTION, for the Tampa area, at least: Have the person that installs your TA call the NOC and ask for Gary. Apparently he is only available after 3pm. He got it working right away. He had them power down the TiVoHD. Power on the TA and wait until the green light stays on solid. Takes several minutes. Then power on the TiVoHD. And Gary did his magic at the NOC somewhere in there. The installer asked him what he did for future reference for future installs and Gary would not tell him. I think Gary wants job security. Schedule your visit for after 3pm and hope that Gary is in the NOC that day. Good luck.

That's nice... thanks for the post.
comedygirl24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 AM   #79
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
<snip> HERE IS THE SOLUTION, for the Tampa area, at least: Have the person that installs your TA call the NOC and ask for Gary. Apparently he is only available after 3pm. He got it working right away. He had them power down the TiVoHD. Power on the TA and wait until the green light stays on solid. Takes several minutes. Then power on the TiVoHD.

And Gary did his magic at the NOC somewhere in there. The installer asked him what he did for future reference for future installs and Gary would not tell him. I think Gary wants job security. Schedule your visit for after 3pm and hope that Gary is in the NOC that day. Good luck.

That's great information! I wonder if St Petersburg can connect with him? And do you have a clue if he works weekends?

I've printed your posts to use when the technician comes to my house. Mabye this weekend.

Thanks Gordy!
Old 12-18-2009, 06:15 PM   #80
pugru2

Quote:
Don't give up on the free year of Tuning Adapter. Tell them that you have friends (us) who have had tuning adapters installed and got the free first year. Tell them that your friends told you that the rep on the phone had to do some research on the Tuning Adapter and they found the code they are supposed to enter to get the free year. The rep I talked to had never heard of a tuning adapter, but he read up on SDV and tuning adapter and found the info to place the service call to get my tuning adapter installed and the code for the free first year.

I had my cable cards installed a few years ago and it did take them several visits to get them working. See my separate post here on my TA experience.
Finally a rep actually found the code for the discount. For those who need it it is X1, I believe is what we said. Not only that I called her about something else, accidentally mentioned the bogus charge, hung up, and she called me back with the info about the discount. I'm amazed. It sucks thought that I only spoke with 1 out 5 reps that could get this right.

I deleted my previous post because I received the discount.
pugru2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:15 PM   #81
f0gax

Funny...

I am a long time Tampa resident, and had FiOS at my home in Wesley Chapel until I moved out to San Antonio, TX last Fall. After enduring the endless wait for TA's with Time Warner, it turned out not to be so bad after all. They were free, and they pretty much work once you get them settled down.

So, when I moved back to Tampa I was looking forward to a live without a tuning adapter and back to my beloved FiOS. Unfortunately, where we are living is a BHN stronghold and there's not a strand of fiber to be found. So, knowing that BH and TWC are kissin' cousins I made sure to order a TA right off the bat.

Like many of you said, the reps didn't know what I was talking about. Finally they said "Sure, okay. Two cable cards and a tuning adapter". Of course, the installers had no TA in hand. A few calls to BHN and I find out that they require a truck roll. To which I said "I installed it myself in Texas. Just let me know where to get it." That went nowhere. So the first truck roll occurs, two contractors show up at the very last minute of the appointment window to tell me that they didn't have the device. Another couple of truck rolls and the thing was still not working, and then I come to find out that one of the CCs was also faulty. Finally they send out to BHN employed techs. Those guys call up the right people, do the right diagnostics, and find a bad cable card. But, the one he brought, just in case, turned out to be an M card. He told me that BHN Tampa is only distributing M-cards now. So I swapped out the two S-cards for the M-card. Maybe it's just me, but it seems zippier now.

Long story short, if you have a Tivo HD/S3 and live in the Tampa Bay area go with FiOS. If you can't, then escalate until you get an appointment with BHN techs, an M-card, and a TA.

I ended up with a $20 service credit due to the incompetence. But I'll need to call back for my free year of Tuning Adapter service after reading this post.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #82
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

My installer today said it was a waste to get a tuning adapter, that the only thing it would do is give me channel 16. Now, I'd like to get 16 (2nd PBS) but it's not a deal breaker.

He says the M-card does it all. And that almost everything will be covered by the M-Card by June. I'll check it out if he gets the M-card working tomorrow.

This guy was terrific and makes BH look really good. He actually has experience with TiVo.

FWIW, I have no premium channels, and guess I can get one if I want it.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:48 PM   #83
windracer
joined the 10k club

There are a lot of channels I can't seem to receive with CableCARDs. 16 is one of them (which is strange since it's in the analog tier), but also that list in my post above.

|
Old 12-21-2009, 09:51 PM   #84
windracer
joined the 10k club

Just saw this on the news tonight ... annoying!

www.keepfoxon.com

|
Old 12-22-2009, 10:07 AM   #85
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

MCard only NO Tuning Adapter Needed!

Quote:

752 BBC America HD
753 Cartoon Network HD
757 Fuse HD
760 HLN HD
762 MSNBC HD
763 Disney XD HD
764 Planet Green HD
765 Style HD
I did NOT get the Tuning Adapter, because I can get all the channels we want without it. The CSR said big changes are coming in June, so I don't know whether to be happy or scared <g>

Windracer, I can't get those either, and I can't get 692.

Like you, I can't get channel 16, but the HD side makes up for it with 616, 616, 618, 619 and 620.

But I am thrilled with the job BHN did and with the channels and appearance.
M
Old 12-22-2009, 10:12 AM   #86
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
There are a lot of channels I can't seem to receive with CableCARDs. 16 is one of them (which is strange since it's in the analog tier), but also that list in my post above.
The BH installer said the only benefit I'd get from a Tuning Adapter would be to get 16 which is apparently on a different tier now for some reason. OTOH, there are several WUSF channels on the HD side-Channels 616 through 20, I think.
Old 12-22-2009, 10:42 AM   #87
windracer
joined the 10k club

Quote:
Originally Posted by megory View Post
Windracer, I can't get those either, and I can't get 692.
692 was where A&E-HD was originally, before they moved it to 733. I don't know why 692 still appears in our program data.

|
Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #88
megory
Advanced TiVoOligan

Quote:
692 was where A&E-HD was originally, before they moved it to 733. I don't know why 692 still appears in our program data.
Ah. Indeed, I get neither stations.

I do get a so-called AEHD -- I think in the 600s.

AFAI can see, the only diff now is that we can view HD stations. Maybe we will. And we can transfer the TNT and USA shows to other TiVo.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:19 AM   #89
dbutts

What to do???

thanks puguru2 for your explanation.

here's my situation and i'd appreciate any input. I'm visiting at my mother in law's St. Pete Beach. She has BH. She wants DVR. I've had countless Tivos and currently run an upgraded TivoHD with comcast at my home in Atlanta. I feel like I understand the Tivo platform pretty well.

After reading all of the more recent posts about BH in St. Pete I am now concerned that I won't be able to get a Tivo working before we leave at New Year's.

In Atlanta in summer 08, it took weeks and weeks to get the cablecards working (finally working with single M card but I think I might be missing one SDV channel). With the number of SDV channels in TB area, the complaints about BH tech support and provisioning of the cablecards, etc., I'm worried about not being able to get it working. I can't leave my in law with a semi functional setup.

She's ready to pull the trigger and buy whatever I tell her to. She would like to be able to do the kinds of things that a Tivo does (download mkv, netflix, save to desktop, ipod, etc) that a BH DVR probably won't do.

Any ideas? I don't have faith that i can get the seemingly one person at BH "Gary" to set up the mCard at the NOC during a holiday week.

Any suggestions? Is the TA necessary? Mcard working well? Go with BH Dvr and lose functionality but save hassle?

Last edited by dbutts : 12-29-2009 at 10:31 AM.
dbutts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 06:04 PM   #90
JohnsonGregA

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickIN View Post
I wonder if BH Indiana has these yet.... Anyone know?
NickIn, Just got a call from Indiana Brighthouse in response to an email to customer service, that they have tuning adapters available in Indiana. I posted more information in another thread, titled: "Brighthouse Indianapolis SDV roll-out - Sorry NO Tuning adapter for you"

Have an appointment schedule for tomorrow for an install.
JohnsonGregA is offline   Reply With Quote