TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Forum Extras > DVD TiVo Units (Archive)
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Toshiba SD-H400 - Is the tuner dead?

I bought my in-laws a used SD-H400 this past summer so they could hook up their basic Comcast cable and have a channel guide, record shows, and actually watch DVDs. It has the Lifetime Plus service on it as well.

A month ago, they said that it was having problems. I finally got over there the other day and the TV was set to another input and the TiVo was frozen. They are as far from technical as can be and don't know what happened. My first thought was a brief power outage, but not sure.

Anyway, I reset everything. The TiVo connected to the router that I installed and all that was fine, but two things are not right.

1.) Nothing is showing on Live TV. Just dark. I'm wondering, did the built-in tuner crap out maybe?
2.) The DVD drive isn't reading the few discs I put in there. It even stuck a few times when I tried to open it.

I'm hoping this thing isn't just deciding to die. Best case it's something with the hard drive which I would have no problem replacing. But if things like the tuner and DVD drive are having problems, I'm not sure what I will do for them.

Any advice? Thanks!

TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (318 hr)
TiVo Premiere 4 w/Lifetime (77 hr)
TiVo Mini w/Lifetime (x4)
TiVo Stream
dmk1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
sakura panda
Cheeky Monkey

I sometimes get a blank screen on mine and if I push the "Progressive" button on my remote, the picture comes back. There is a progressive switch in the back too, but I was never able to figure out what one had to do with the other -- I just remember to push "Progressive" whenever there was a blank screen.

That's my best suggestion. Sorry I'm not much help -- hopefully it's something simple like that or someone else can give you a better idea.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakura panda View Post
I sometimes get a blank screen on mine and if I push the "Progressive" button on my remote, the picture comes back. There is a progressive switch in the back too, but I was never able to figure out what one had to do with the other -- I just remember to push "Progressive" whenever there was a blank screen.

That's my best suggestion. Sorry I'm not much help -- hopefully it's something simple like that or someone else can give you a better idea.
I tried that, but no luck. The screen isn't entirely black (I get the blue TiVo banner at the top and the message that I should check the troubleshooting since I get no signal). Not sure what else to do at this point.

TiVo Stream
Old 12-11-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
shwru980r

Can you pick up live TV with the Cable connected directly to the TV?
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:56 PM   #5
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Can you pick up live TV with the Cable connected directly to the TV?
Let me check...with the box at my house now, I temporarily disconnected the cable that was connected to my Comcast HD box (which had no signal issues). I'll check it on the analog TV jack too.

TiVo Stream
Old 12-11-2009, 10:09 PM   #6
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Cable signal is fine in analog or digital. Just not to that SD-H400.

TiVo Stream
Old 12-21-2009, 11:32 AM   #7
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Any other ideas? Still haven't found a fix.

TiVo Stream
Old 12-22-2009, 10:41 AM   #8
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Today I tried to use a cable box instead of the coax connection. Still dark on the input. All other screen displays and DVD playing is fine. Is it a hardware issue (i.e., analog encoder broke) or possibly software on the hard drive? If I get a new image would it possibly start working maybe?

TiVo Stream
Old 12-22-2009, 06:03 PM   #9
Rodney
TiVo'd since 9/17/01

From what you wrote, you are saying the TiVo boots fine, but it is giving you the message that it is not getting a signal? I am no expert, but that doesn't sound like a hard drive problem. When you hooked it to your cable box, you did go through the setup again, right? I would run through guided setup again, to see if that helps. Otherwise, it does sound like an issue with the signal getting into the box.

Hope this helps.
3 TiVo Premieres expanded to 318 HD hours
1 Roamio Pro w/lifetime
Rodney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodney View Post
From what you wrote, you are saying the TiVo boots fine, but it is giving you the message that it is not getting a signal? I am no expert, but that doesn't sound like a hard drive problem. When you hooked it to your cable box, you did go through the setup again, right? I would run through guided setup again, to see if that helps. Otherwise, it does sound like an issue with the signal getting into the box.

Hope this helps.
It's actually not an error "message", but rather that the channels are all black (like, when during the guided setup it asks me to confirm that channel 28 shows QVC). All TiVo menus and displays show just fine. DVD plays ok too. I am fearing that it's something that affects both the RF, RCA, and S-Video inputs that just died or something. No idea how that can be fixed if at all.

TiVo Stream
Old 12-27-2009, 08:56 AM   #11
bte4

My SD-H400 just started doing the same thing. The TIVO works fine to play shows that were already recorded, and the DVD player works fine. Everything else looks normal, except the black screen and TIVO telling me it can't find the signal. This happened before and I got the signal back by restarting the system, but that didn't work after numerous tries this time around. There's nothing wrong with the cable signal as it passes through the TIVO just fine with the TIVO off.

It does sound like the tuner may be the culprit or possibly the video card. Does anyone know what parts Toshiba put in these units and if they can be purchased?
bte4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #12
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bte4 View Post
My SD-H400 just started doing the same thing. The TIVO works fine to play shows that were already recorded, and the DVD player works fine. Everything else looks normal, except the black screen and TIVO telling me it can't find the signal. This happened before and I got the signal back by restarting the system, but that didn't work after numerous tries this time around. There's nothing wrong with the cable signal as it passes through the TIVO just fine with the TIVO off.

It does sound like the tuner may be the culprit or possibly the video card. Does anyone know what parts Toshiba put in these units and if they can be purchased?
Sounds like yours is in the exact same situation as mine. No idea why it suddenly crapped out too. Did you try both the coax input as well as one from a cable box? I had no success with either.

TiVo Stream
Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 PM   #13
jpr27617

I'm seeing the same issue on two SD-H400's.
I think it's a software bug.
I have software version 9.3.2b-01-2-264

I say this because I did clear and reset everything, and repeated guided setup.
At one point it asked if channel 5 was CSPAN, and it then showed it to me.

Where to from here?
jpr27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
rscar627

I've got the same problem. I just moved the SDH-400 from a spare bedroom where it hadn't been used in a while to my exercise room so I have no idea when this happened.
rscar627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #15
krs24rbn

I was searching for this same issue I've encountered. I thought I'd share how I fixed it.

After a power outage here in California, my Tivo did not recognize the signal. I disconnected everything, reconnected it, black screen. I know it was connected correctly because when the Tivo was off, the cable signal still passed through to the TV.

I called Comcast trying to figure out what was wrong. They didn't know of course, but they sent a signal to the cable box just in case. All of a sudden it worked. Something from the power outage caused the digital box to not output in a way for the Tivo to recognize it. Mine were all connected via coaxial cables.

So call your cable company and just ask them to send a signal to the cable box. Good luck.
krs24rbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #16
jpr27617

I did manage to get mine to work.

We let it lie there for a few days.
Then my wife picked up the remote and pressed a bunch of buttons.
Don't know why, but it started working after that.
jpr27617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:00 PM   #17
jkuter

Has anyone else solved this?

I have this exact same problem and I was hoping someone had a procedure to fix this. I have tried redoing guided setup and clearing/restarting the machine.
jkuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #18
coss

I am having the same problem on my SD-H400. In Live TV and in setup the video input is always blank. This occurred after a software update. Prior to the software update I was on a very old service release using the coax/analog tuner. Do we have a bad service release? Did anyone solve this?
coss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 01:56 PM   #19
jkuter

Got it working again

After letting it sit overnight with nothing plugged in then starting it back up and plugging the cable line in after it booted I was able to get it to work. I tried every other combination and this was the only way it would show video again. Its been working now for about 4 days without issue. It makes no sense but give it a shot.
jkuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #20
wiz

My SD-H400 is doing the same thing

I've had this happen to mine a few times before. Power outage and when the TiVo comes back up it can't detect video on either composite video or svideo (both are hooked up).

Usually after several reboots it would find the signal but not tonight. Just called Comcast and they have an automated cable box reset procedure. So far it's no go. I'm going to try a reboot without the video cables attached.

This really sounds like a software bug, does anyone know when 9.3.2b-01-2-264 was released?

Follow up
Rebooted without svideo attached, reconnected after it finished booting and I have video!!!! SWEET!!!!!
Has anyone reported this to TiVo as a bug?

Last edited by wiz : 02-15-2010 at 09:47 PM. Reason: New information to add
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:14 PM   #21
dmk1974
DA BEARS!!!

I have still had zero luck. But some of you have a great point...was it a crappy software update that screwed us? Can TiVo roll back and send an older version of software to the boxes if requested?

TiVo Stream
Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
wiz

We lost power again and I'm back to no video. Tried rebooting without connecting the cables and no go. Tried guided setup and still no video. I guess the next thing will be to pull the power and let it sit an hour or so. I can't believe no one caught this when this release was in beta testing.
wiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:35 AM   #23
GarciaFan

Arrow Same problem here. Anyone have the fix for this?

My DMS has had a long standing problem (4 years) where the DVD doesn't work and anytime you accidentally press the button on the remote, you have to restart the DMS to make it work. My daughter did this last night, now I don't get signal.
GarciaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #24
shwru980r

My SD-H400 won't work with a comcast set top box either. When I try to run guided setup for comcast cable, then I can't receive the signal from the comcast set top box. Both the composite and RF inputs are dead.

But it will work with an over the air digital to analog converter, analog cable or a Direct TV set top box.
Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 AM   #25
nlrushing

this has happened to me recently also, and i am still researching/resolving. has your cable provider recently went to an all digital format, no longer broadcasting any analog signals? this could be the issue - call them and ask. my understanding is that even though tivo units will not be affected by the conversion, the toshiba units only support analog signal, so it is possible that we may have to convert the signal back to analog. (yes seems a step backwards to me also) search the DTA threads as was suggested to me, and verify with your provider. i will post back what i find and whether i am able to resolve, or if i will require this additional dta box. i have toshiba sd400 and currently use a digital cable box with a serial port, i really do not want to go back to an ir blaster if i can avoid it.
but back to my dilemna, if i put the tivo on standby and use the cable box remote i can view all channels perfectly. if i turn on the tivo i have a black screen and a searching for signal warning on ALL channels. this happened same week charter had a channel line up change which i suspect involved moving all channels to an all digital format. the tivo functions normally other than being able to veiw or record live tv.
running guided set up again, restarting dve, or rebooting my cable signal has had no result. the first tech call to charter suggested my tivo was the issue but wanted to schedule a service call, i declined. suggested their dvr, no thanks. tivo support and forum research has led to my current opinion, tho i will admit i do not yet know enough about this to advise anyone, just relaying what i have found and hope it will help or make sense to someone in need of a suggestion on where to start or what to try next.
nlrushing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 04:37 PM   #26
shwru980r

Are you using Tivo Basic or the Tivo Plus subscription service?

My experience with the sd-h400 with TIVO basic was it would work with Comcast analog cable straight in from the wall. If I tried to use it with the Comcast set top box, the screen would be black and I could not complete guided setup. I then tried the same sd-h400 with direct TV using their set top box and it works perfectly. The same SD-H400 will also work with an OTA converter box.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:05 PM   #27
nlrushing

i should have mentioned, i have a lifetime subscription.
Old 06-28-2010, 07:35 PM   #28
wgchap

I'm having the same problem that others report. I have a Toshiba SD-H400 with Basic Tivo that is about 5 years old. After a power blip about June 11, 2010, the unit says that no signal is received on any channel. I receive the signal over the air using a digital to analog converter box. This has worked fine for the past year. I tested the digital to analog box and it works with the TV. I've restarted the Tivo and performed a guided setup with the wires connected and with the wires disconnected, but I still get no signal. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.
wgchap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #29
nlrushing

i have confirmed with my provider that they have NOT gone to a full digital format, there are still some channels broadcasting in analog although my toshiba unit is not recieving signal from my digital cable box on any channel. as i stated prev all channels work fine direct from my cable box with tivo on standby. this happened around same approximate time as prev poster, tho i am not positive of what exact day.
any help to get this unit going would be much appreciated. i am wondering if the tuner itself could have died leaving the tivo hard drive functioning fine. if this is the case, can that be replaced on a lifetime unit, or could i just put it in another room without a cable box, and just transfer movies to it for the kids to watch, and just not be able to use it to view or record live tv. is it even worth it to try to fix it knowing all digital is coming eventually to my area.
i am a total loss at where to turn now. i will be grateful for any suggestions to try, or threads to research for further information. thank you so much.
Old 07-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #30
shwru980r

Try rerunning guided setup with the cable directly from the wall. If you get a picture through the Tivo, then you know the tuner works.