TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 12-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #6901
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

Yep, I love how they always want to swap out the card when almost 100% of the time it's not the card, it's their stupid internal auth/init problems with the card.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 03:07 PM   #6902
mburnno

Thumbs down Comcast and Tivo cable cards = Bad news

I have given up long ago on the whole Cable card thing. I have personally experience at least half of what has been written in these forums. I remember reading the carbon copy the tech has you sign that you get to keep and there was a note on the account that stated that I threw one of the Techs out of my house. Which is true after the tech decided he want to lay on my floor and almost break the flip cover on the front of the tivo which covers the cable card slot and then decides to blame the TIVO for being at fought.
mburnno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #6903
real_goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by justrick View Post
Has anyone in the metro Detroit area had good/bad luck getting everything installed and working properly?
I had good luck getting cable cards installed just over a month ago. My installer came out of Sterling Heights. He came with at least 4 S cards and the first 2 worked. He used a hand held device to read the bar codes on the card and then keyed in the info that popped up on the TiVo. After the first one worked, he did it again with the second. No phone calls were needed. It seemed to go smoothly probably because it was all automated. I still get all the channels I should and it is great to get the TiVo program info that is only possible with cable cards.
real_goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 02:37 AM   #6904
gprellwitz
Chicago Flier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownMac View Post
Hi, we are having the same exact issue with our Tivo HD and Sony Bravia LCD. I've tried a few things, and keep coming back to Tivo since the TV works with all other components without issue!! Have you found anything out? I wonder if the HDMI "handshake" between the 2 is the issue? How to resolve this? I'll keep you posted if I find anything, and if you do find something, let me know.. thanks
Hmmm.... I just installed my Sony Bravia, and order a Tivo HD to replace my old dual tuner S2 in the Chicago area. I'm certainly interested in anything you find.
gprellwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:16 PM   #6905
crosssfire

It's been 3 Weeks, 4 Service calls and No Install

Help Comcast is driving me crazy. I live in Silver Spring, MD and I have Comcast Montgomery County. I had previous experience with Tivo when I had Directv, so I know how great Tivo can be. I moved and now I have Comcast. I had the Comcast DVR and it was the worst. Which is why I bought this TivoHD from Bestbuy. Trying to Install this has been the worst tech nightmare ever.

I didn't know anything about Cablecards when I bought my Tivo and I thought I could take it home and get it up and running on my own. I followed the installation instruction that are recommended before the Comcast Tech arrives. In my area they will not let you pick up Cablecard and do a self install. Why? I don't know. I have tried. So, my fist night all was well. I was watching a few of my local analog channels, Netflix movies, Youtube and other internet content.

First Visit: The Comcast Techs arrive late. They do the install per the instructions. They (yes they) finally get to what appears to be the end of the set up, which was a blue screen with a big spinning disc that says Please Wait...Aquiring Channel Information. The problem was that it never leaves this screen. The Techs tell me that it takes a while to download. So they leave, and I go to work. 10 hours later I return to find the Tivo giving me the same message. Keep in mind that I am hooked up to high speed internet and nothing takes that long to download. So now, I left with a Tivo that will not allow me to watch any live Tivo. Zip, Zero Nada. I found out that if I take the Cablecard out, I am back to where I was the first night. I can watch my analog channels and Internet content.

So let's not go into the details of every appointment. Let's fastfoward 3 weeks later. After 3 more visits from Comcast Techs, 3 More muti-stream cards, sereval calls to Tivo Tech support, 2 different TivoHD boxes (yes one Comcast Tech conviced me the Tivo box maybe broken, so I exchanged it), and several calls to Comcast Tivo Hot line, I still have the same blue spinning disc with the same problems.

Comcast say the Card is Pair. Tivo Tech support says it's not. On my Conditional Access screen reads as follows:

Encryption: DES
Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:? 0X00

The rest of the screen is black. I do not have an another paragraph below Con: The Tivo Techs keep telling me that is is a Comcast problem. Also on my Network Setup Screen my VCTID is 0 and the VCT Rcvd is 0. The Tivo Techs keep telling me that this indicates that my cared is not paired properly even though Comcast is telling me that it is paired.

Remember, this is the 4th M-Stream card and the 2nd TivoHD box. No one knows what to do. I have read a lot about problems with the cards but I have not found a problem like mine. most people are just missing a few channels I don't have that problem.

After doing a little research here are some of the things that I have tried:

a)I have requested that Comcast bring 2 Single-Stream cards, but they never listen to me and always bring Multi-Stream cards.

b)I asked Comcast to check my plan and increase to a package that allows you to see all channels. Then hit the card again. That didn't work.

c) I removed the RF splitters and ran the cable straight to the Tivo. That didn't work.

d) I asked Comcast to check the hierachy of equipment they have listed for me. They found the old Comcast DVR still listed and removed it. Then moved my Tivo to the primary outlet position. That didn't work.

I don't know what to do next. Should I get Tivo box #3 and try again? What should I do?

Last edited by crosssfire : 12-27-2009 at 08:09 PM.
crosssfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:24 PM   #6906
Grumock

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosssfire View Post
Comcast say the Card is Pair. Tivo Tech support says it's not. On my Conditional Access screen reads as follows:

Encryption: DES
Con:Yes EBCP:Yes Val:? 0X00
Val:?
This normally means they have the wrong Data number on the account more then likely. So in this case Tivo is right.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #6907
sweendog_99

My CableCard Experience

I bought my Tivo HD before Thanksgiving and since my area doesn't allow self installs, I had to schedule an appointment with Comcast. I had read these boards so I made sure they noted in the system that they should bring two single-stream or one multi-stream card as well as bring extras. The day of the appointment, the tech showed up with zero cards. He claimed they were out of stock. Obviously, he didn't look at the sheet until he got all the way to my house. I had to reschedule.

The second time they came out, the tech brought two cards but he had no idea whether they were single-stream or multi. The first one he pulled out didn't indicate the type on the card or with an S in the serial number. We started to go through the instructions when he let me take a look at the second card which was labled multi-stream. I told him that was the one we should use.

The tech obviously didn't realize the difference bwtween the multi-stream and single-stream cards but at least he let me sort of take the lead and followed the simple instructions Tivo provided. The person who he called at Comcast was pretty knowledgeable and I was up and running within 5 - 10 minutes after getting a person on the phone.

The Tivo itself has been working great for over a month now and I haven't had any issues with the card that was installed.

My suggestions for trying to make this process as easy as possible on yourself:

1. Make sure you ask Comcast to bring multiple cards and try to request multi-stream
2. Assume the tech probably hasn't installed a card in a Tivo before. Read the Tivo instructions before the tech comes so you know what they are supposed to be doing and can intervene if necessary.
3. Make sure the tech reads the correct numbers when they call it in.
sweendog_99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:22 PM   #6908
crosssfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumock View Post
Val:?
This normally means they have the wrong Data number on the account more then likely. So in this case Tivo is right.
Yes, you are correct. The problem is Comcast is not interested in this info. I have done conference calls with Comcast Tech and Tivo Tech and they both just refer to data that is important to their own company. Comcast shows the cards paired and don't care about the other screens. Both companies keep pointing the finger at each other.

I just returned from Bestbuy with my 3rd TivoHD box and will try another install.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:39 PM   #6909
drhankz

Quote:
Yes, you are correct. The problem is Comcast is not interested in this info. I have done conference calls with Comcast Tech and Tivo Tech and they both just refer to data that is important to their own company. Comcast shows the cards paired and don't care about the other screens. Both companies keep pointing the finger at each other.

I just returned from Bestbuy with my 3rd TivoHD box and will try another install.
YOU NEED to get a TECH SUPERVISOR -

How to get to e-mail Rick Germano, VP of Customer Operations.

http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Cus...ContactUs.html
AND
http://www.comcast.com/Corporate/Cus...help|849143647

AND
http://www.comcastsupport.com/forms/com/rgcontact.asp

COMCAST CABLECARD SUPPORT CENTER

http://consumerist.com/352258/26-sec...-phone-numbers

Here are 26 unpublished direct numbers for level 2.5 and above Comcast
supervisors. We've published many a horror story about Comcast's incompetent
front-line staff. But according to our inside source, these people know how
to fix your problems. We've got numbers for high level people on the
national level, as well as numbers which are good for central Pennsylvania
customers. Let the escalations begin!
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #6910
slowbiscuit
FUBAR

There is no Comcast cablecard support center anymore, the number just rings busy now.

Believe me, I tried it when they implemented copy protection on some of the movie channels when I lost them a few months ago. I had to escalate to my regional VP to get someone that could put the correct data ID for my Tivo in their system.

I agree that if the frontline people can't help (usual case) then you have to bring out the big guns, because they just don't care about CCs.
slowbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM   #6911
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbiscuit View Post
There is no Comcast cablecard support center anymore, the number just rings busy now.

Believe me, I tried it when they implemented copy protection on some of the movie channels when I lost them a few months ago. I had to escalate to my regional VP to get someone that could put the correct data ID for my Tivo in their system.

I agree that if the frontline people can't help (usual case) then you have to bring out the big guns, because they just don't care about CCs.
I don't guarantee 100% of the info is CURRENT - but you did the
right thing and ESCALATED it to get them to FIX THEIR PROBLEM

That is what Crossfire needs to do.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:20 PM   #6912
crosssfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
I don't guarantee 100% of the info is CURRENT - but you did the
right thing and ESCALATED it to get them to FIX THEIR PROBLEM

That is what Crossfire needs to do.
Thanks! You guys are great. I must tell you however, that this has been escalated a few days ago. Tivo Tech finally asked me if any of the Comcast Techs ever called the Tivo Hotline. I said "No, I didn't know there was one." The Tivo Tech did a conference call with Comcast Tivo hotline. They then turned me over to Comcast Nation line out of NJ. I did a Conference call with them while the Comcast Tech was standing in my Living room today. No one could figure out the problem.

I am almost finished installing TivoHD Box #3. As I learned, TivoHD comes with old software version 9. I trying to updated the softeware to version # 11. The TivoHD is restarting right now. I will then call Comcast back to have them rehit this card, because when I insert the card the Host ID will be different and the card will no longer be paired with my Tivo.

One thing that I did notice that was different during this install came when the Tivo asked me what was on Channel 31. During the last 2 install attempts with the other boxes I did not have a picture on my tv. I had to go into the other room and turn on the tv to see what was on channel 31. This time I could see TNT was on Channel 31. So I am very hopeful about this install attempt.

Last edited by crosssfire : 12-27-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #6913
crosssfire

4 Cablecards 3 TivoHD boxes 4 Sevices Call.......

I just finished installing the 3rd TivoHD box and I am having the exact same problem. I just can not get any live tv when the cablecard is plugged in. In fact the Conditional Access Screen reads the same as in my previous post. No one can figure this out. Aarron, from Comcast Nation said he is going to ask questions to some one at the DAC or something like that. I was told that they will work on things in the morning and that I don't need to be home. They think it is something on their end. Comcast it has been 3 weeks that I have been with out service. Each day that I have to deal with this it is a full 8 hours. between waiting for the Techs and actually trying to get this equipment to work. Some tell me is this worth it.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:08 PM   #6914
drhankz

Quote:
They think it is something on their end.
THERE IS NO QUESTION it is on their end.

Quick question - was your MSO always Comcast or did Comcast
Acquire your previous Cable Co?
Old 12-28-2009, 01:06 AM   #6915
crosssfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post
THERE IS NO QUESTION it is on their end.

Quick question - was your MSO always Comcast or did Comcast
Acquire your previous Cable Co?
I'm not sure. I have only lived here for about 9yrs and it has been comcast in this area as long as I have been here.

I just find this whole thing strange that I don't even enough that my Tivo is missing a lot of infomation on the Condition Access screen. Right now Comcast has no clue on what to do. So, I have removed the cable card so that I can what movies via Netflix. At least something works.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:20 AM   #6916
drhankz

Quote:
I'm not sure. I have only lived here for about 9yrs and it has been comcast in this area as long as I have been here.
After that long there should be NO Integration problems even
if they had acquired someone. Comcast has had problems with
some acquisitions because they where using some other Technology
that was different than what Comcast uses.

That should not be the problem.

The problem is STILL THERES and they need to fix their problem.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:49 AM   #6917
crosssfire

Still trying to get service

I talked with Ramon at the National Call Center. He told me that they believe that this is a channel mapping problem. All he could do is send some e-mails to local engineers and techs in my area. I have no Idea of when they will be able to get to this problem.

I live in an apartment building. So I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem. It would be nice it they were able to tell me if someone near by had a TivoHD.

I guess I post on the Forum the next time I get an update. This could be a couple of days.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:10 AM   #6918
drhankz

Quote:
I talked with Ramon at the National Call Center. He told me that they believe that this is a channel mapping problem. All he could do is send some e-mails to local engineers and techs in my area. I have no Idea of when they will be able to get to this problem.

I live in an apartment building. So I don't know if this has anything to do with my problem. It would be nice it they were able to tell me if someone near by had a TivoHD.

I guess I post on the Forum the next time I get an update. This could be a couple of days.
It could be worth a call to TiVo Tech to see what they think
of Ramon's GUESS

In any case - Comcast should be able to fix it on their end as
long as they have all the CableCard data and have everything
correctly entered for your account. It should not require a NEW
Tech Visit.

There is one problem - every time you remove the CableCard
and reinstall it - it generates a NEW KEY. They will need that
KEY to complete the Install.

I know you have been removing the card to get your analog
channels back but maybe you could just split the cable and
run one to the TV directly, that way you won't have to keep
removing the CableCard.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #6919
angra

Folks,

I am just back from visiting my parents house with their shiny new tivohd installed with Comcast cable cards.

Their tivo did not think that they got at least 2 HD channels that they actually did. The 2 I ID'd were FX and Fox News. Both in the low-mid 800s (837, I think, was one of them). I manually added the 2 channels, then forced a tivo service call, but there was no guide data for the 2 channels. There was, however, a correct channel name/lettering associated with the channel #.

They are in the Atlanta market (north fulton, if it matters)

I looked at zap2it, and they, too, do not show the channels in question as being present. But, the channels were labeled by the tivo, so I do not know what to think about what is going on. Can someone clarify? I don't know if this is a comcast specific issue or not.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:47 AM   #6920
a68oliver

It sounds as if Comcast has correctly provided a channel map for your cablecard but Tivo/Tribune doesn't know about it.

Report the issue here: http://www.tivo.com/setupandsupport/...neup_tool.html

Give them a few days and sometimes even longer and they should fix the problem.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #6921
angra

a68oliver,

Thanks! I am new to the interaction between CCs and tivos. I suspected that the channel mapping came from the CC, not the guide data as I am used to on non-cc equipped tivos. I read your note as confirmation of that suspicion. I will ask my parents to submit the report. Thanks again!
Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM   #6922
schwinn

Continuing my previous post... Comcast just left and completed installation of an M-card on my TivoHD. This tech was a higher-level tech, and had done TivoHD-CC installs before. He knew what he was doing, and completed his end of the work quickly. The person he was on the phone with was apparently more busy getting it all working properly... took a little while for it to be done and properly setup, but it's done now.

Speaking of which, is there any simple way to have the Tivo use HD channels by default for Suggestions? For that matter, is there any easy way to convert the SD Season Passes I have to HD channels? Or am I looking at doing this manually...?
schwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:16 PM   #6923
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by angra View Post
Their tivo did not think that they got at least 2 HD channels that they actually did. The 2 I ID'd were FX and Fox News. Both in the low-mid 800s (837, I think, was one of them). I manually added the 2 channels, then forced a tivo service call, but there was no guide data for the 2 channels. There was, however, a correct channel name/lettering associated with the channel #.

They are in the Atlanta market (north fulton, if it matters)

I looked at zap2it, and they, too, do not show the channels in question as being present. But, the channels were labeled by the tivo, so I do not know what to think about what is going on. Can someone clarify? I don't know if this is a comcast specific issue or not.
The Atlanta Metro Area is transitioning to something they are calling "World of More." World of More has a pile more HD channels, and FX HD is one of them that is *not* in the Comcast lineup they are transitioning out of.

Tell your parents to redo Channel Setup for cable channels, and choose Comcast World Of More instead of just Comcast for the channel listings. That should do the trick.
cjv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 03:42 PM   #6924
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwinn View Post
Speaking of which, is there any simple way to have the Tivo use HD channels by default for Suggestions? For that matter, is there any easy way to convert the SD Season Passes I have to HD channels? Or am I looking at doing this manually...?
The only way I know to accomplish this is....

If you receive BOTH an SD and HD version of the same channel, uncheck the SD version in the channels you receive. Tivo only records suggestions from channels you check that you receive.

As for the season passes...

As I recall, I opened a SD season pass and navigated to view upcoming programs. From there, I could see both the SD and HD channel broadcasts of the programs. IIRC, I then selected an HD program and was able to add a season pass for it. Then I had to go back and delete the SD season pass. I think you have to do this before you uncheck the SD program from the channels you recieve.

It has been a while since I did this and I can't reproduce it now because all my season passes have now been converted.

Good Luck.
Tivo HD November 2007

Last edited by a68oliver : 12-28-2009 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Season Passes
Old 12-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #6925
stingray72

2 techs have come out and I still don't have all my channels. It's the darndest thing. I get up to channel 118 but nothing higher and none of my encore channels. I get the major network HD channels but no ESPN HD etc that are a part of my package

I think comcast is feeding me a bunch of BS because they can't figure out the problem. One lady told me it was because those channels weren't part of my package (even though my comcast box has all of them and that's what package is on my account)

Getting to a 2nd level tech support person is also a nightmare
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #6926
cjv2

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingray72 View Post
2 techs have come out and I still don't have all my channels. It's the darndest thing. I get up to channel 118 but nothing higher and none of my encore channels. I get the major network HD channels but no ESPN HD etc that are a part of my package

I think comcast is feeding me a bunch of BS because they can't figure out the problem. One lady told me it was because those channels weren't part of my package (even though my comcast box has all of them and that's what package is on my account)

Getting to a 2nd level tech support person is also a nightmare
Sounds to me like your cards haven't been activated (or whatever term they're using these days). Getting that done can be a PITA with Comcast.

Also, if your Comcast box is getting them, and the Tivo is not, yes, they are feeding you a bunch of "I don't know let me tell you what I think it is whether it's actually based in fact or not" BS. You are pretty much definitely going to need 2nd level tech support.

I had some notes scribbled on what I went through/what the techs told me they had to get done, PM me if you like, but others can probably be of more direct help than I.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #6927
alexsquared

Got a question for the Tivo gurus. We have a TivoHD unit that we just pulled out of the box. We have limited basic cable (analog channels 1-30) and with our TV with QAM tuner, and with our former Sony DHG-HDD250 we got all our local channels in HD greatness. My understanding with the Tivo, is that it won't get any QAM channels, even the unencrypted local QAM channels unless we have a cable card. I just spoke with Comcast, and they indicated that they will not give a cable card to limited basic subscribers, but that for $25 more a month we can go to digital (not insterested) and get the cable card. My question is...can we use this box with the unencrypted QAM channels, without a cable card, and will it map them correctly with guide data? If not, I'll cancel the cable and go OTA, but I was hoping to keep the cable so we can also get the discovery channel, which we have always enjoyed. Please advise.
Thanks.
alexsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #6928
stingray72

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjv2 View Post
Sounds to me like your cards haven't been activated (or whatever term they're using these days). Getting that done can be a PITA with Comcast.

Also, if your Comcast box is getting them, and the Tivo is not, yes, they are feeding you a bunch of "I don't know let me tell you what I think it is whether it's actually based in fact or not" BS. You are pretty much definitely going to need 2nd level tech support.

I had some notes scribbled on what I went through/what the techs told me they had to get done, PM me if you like, but others can probably be of more direct help than I.
Now I was told that cable cards can't get those channels, you have to have the comcast box

Since when did "I don't know, I'll have to find someone who knows about cable cards" get so hard to say
stingray72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:43 PM   #6929
cjv2

Quote:
Now I was told that cable cards can't get those channels, you have to have the comcast box

Since when did "I don't know, I'll have to find someone who knows about cable cards" get so hard to say
Since the phrase "never tell the customer 'I don't know'" came into vogue.

Here's what I recall. One of my 2 cable cards was not properly set up. Here's what the notes from the ticket say, maybe it'll be helpful.

"Tivo cable card is not responding... cable card (Card Serial Number) doesn't have motor host linked to it. Customer gave me Motorhost (Unit Address associated with Card, found inside Tivo "CableCARD(tm) Pairing" menu for the card). Tried to enter it but it came back as 'not in inventory.'"

In short, they didn't do the proper back-end setup.

Now, as I recall - and my memory is vague to be fair - prior to getting the card properly associated with the unit address and such on their back end, the card was only receiving a "basic" subset of channels, similar to what you describe. The card that had been properly set up all along, however, got everything just fine.

Separately, the phrase "hard initialize" seemed to have some special meaning to Comcast, though to this day I don't know exactly what it refers to.

Oh, last thing, I also seem to recall having a signal issue that they had to fix at one point, and it was causing dropout of certain channels. I further gather that the signal can't just be "jacked up" because (1) too high will cause various issues and (2) boosting also amplifies noise. So they need to get it "right."

Hope this helps.

Last edited by cjv2 : 12-28-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #6930
a68oliver

Quote:

Unless the channels are PPV, VOD, or SDV, you should be able to get those channels with cablecards if they are in your package.
Tivo HD November 2007